Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Pirvan

26 Yr Old 5Rm Resale In Tampines

Hi everyone .. slowing filling up all the gaps of the reno process that has happen so far .. We have chosen our lighting ,scv,telephone and what not.. during our initial brainstorming sessions on deciding the number and location of the lights ,we racked up a total number of ard 40 points *gasp ! a shocker for me since my family home have no down lights, no cove lights at all.It was just one ceiling light each to illuminate each room . we squeezed our brains together and managed to reduce a impressive number of .......4 :bangwall:

Babe wanted points in every possible corner of the room .. rationale was that since we are already doing it , we might as well put them in case we need them in future. Have asked my friends' abt it and have discovered that it is the same for their hubbies as well .. Maybe it is a guy's thing ? hee..

Introducing our electrician ,Kok Heng .

20120303135819.jpg

he was quite patient with us though we changed our mind a few times . An overall quiet guy with occasional spurts of dry humor..quite happy to have him in charge of our lightings .

20120306141349.jpg

This is him in a "meeting " with Donny regarding the lights and fan in our living room . our walls and floor were their drawing board

He is a one man show who is quite efficient , withn a few days .Our wires were rerouted and switches in place .

201203081528361.jpg

which are by the way MK switches. Have read that Legrand switches are THE ones to go for but they are really expensive. Both of us dun really go for brands anyway, if it feels good ..we'll use it !

Next up.. shopping for the actual lights! Ooots..

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

The bulk of the carpentry in our home will be the WIW and the kitchen island ,both of which is something we really hope to have (and we are having it !) :sport-smiley-004:

Since young, the kitchen has always been my mum's territory and because of her ,there is always a surprise waiting for us in there. Whenever she cooks,the smell will permeate from there to the whole house ,sometimes even outside.Its also where I will perch on the dining table with my legs dangling and chat with my mum .It is also a place where I bake treats for my luvs!

Babe loves to cook as well host cozy gatherings with close pals .In short ,the kitchen is def one of piorities that tops our list .

My ideal kitchen must have sufficient space for me when I bake, MUST have an oven , must be easy to clean and maintain annd must of course look goood.

For him, it is crucial to have a smooth work flow and must be able to store his equipment easily .. as well as an island.an island's important !!

kitchenzones.jpg

to quote IKEA.

The work triangle – creating an ideal work flow

The main working functions in a kitchen are carried out between the hob, the sink and the refrigerator. These three points and the imaginary line between them, make up what kitchen experts call the "work triangle".

The trick is to position these three points so that they are not too far from each other (this would make you walk backwards and forwards more than you need to when carrying out a task) and not too close to each other (this makes for cramped working conditions).

Ideally, the line between these three points should not exceed 6 metres in total. The ideal distance between the different working points is 90 cm.

If you’re thinking you don’t have room in your home for a triangular kitchen, don’t worry: the working triangle can be effectively achieved in many different layouts, according to preference and the shape of the room.

The three main zones are, in relevance to the working triangle, are: storage (fridge/freezer and dry storage), washing (sink, dishwasher) and cooking (hob, oven, microwave). Placing them well is crucial

to achieving an ergonomic work triangle, with a natural workflow and everything within reach.

Because of this, he racked his brains and drew ,redrew and redrew diff plans for the kitchen . Finally, he came up with the design u now see in his first few entries .

Donny brought the carpenter to do on-site mesurements, He is the guy who is in charge of all carpentry in our home ..

20120308170301.th.jpg

dun let first appearances fool you..THough he looks "bengish " ,realy take my Hat off to this man . He went around with us to confirm what kinda cabinets we want, what height , gave us advice on better ways to do something etc..without penning anything down on a piece of paper.After that , he just took a fresh sheet of paper and started a rough draft of how our kitchen will look like .. though i know it is normal for him, but still impressed!

20120308154655.th.jpg20120308152406.th.jpg

20120308153828.th.jpg

Edited by chocoholic84

next comes the choosing of the laminates.pretty crucial too !

OMG so many choices ...never knew there are so many shades , textures, patterns.. and they are so very irresistable and we can only choose 1 :help: .

20120308164441.th.jpg

20120308164646.th.jpg

20120308164409.th.jpg

In the end, we chose

20120308164112.th.jpg

matched it against the screed wall and felt it goes well together..The pattern is also very natural looking while standing out ! Just think screed, black granite and rustic woods...Lets hope the final effect is goodz!

What do you think ?

Edited by chocoholic84

Wow... that is a piece of good info on the triangle kitchen. I hope my kitchen layout can achieve the triangle effect. What I am worry is, does the sink and hob has to be 90cm away? Will it be a bit too close? Chinese always has this saying that water and fire cannot place too close with each other.

Edited by ayazumi

Phewww! finally home after 11 long days away in freezing cold Moscow. As you can see from Choco84's postings, she took up the slack caused by my absence and made sure the renovation ticked along smoothly. I must say thou, I bought Donny a big meal upon my return as he made an extra effort to guide Choco84 along PLUS became her driver for the duration of my trip... hmmmm... maybe i should have stayed away a little longer :)

Anyway, we would like to come up with a short review for a particular salesman from Harvey Norman/Parkway Parade. Sometime back whilst digging thru Tblogs, we noticed the name Mr Ashok Kumar come up a few time. We just happened to meet him whilst doing our white goods shopping probably 2 months back. On first contact, we mentioned that we will not be getting our keys so soon hence won't be making any purchases soon, yet he still spent about an hour plus walking us thru the various goods, explaining pros and cons of brands, types etc. 2 months down the road and we've just completed most of our white goods purchases thru him at HN. I know we could probably get a better price at neighbourhood shops, but we were kindda surprised when we went to him with these prices, and he did whatever he could to close the gap between HN and neighbourhood prices. Not exactly matching, but healthly discounts :) Buying from the neighbourhood shops would most certainly have saved us sayyyy 200-300 bucks for all the things we bought, but there were certain things we wanted extended warranty for, and to be honest.. i'm lazzzyyyyyyyyyyyy!!! 8| lol

Anyway, he was patient to complete noobs like us, and very understanding regarding our budget. 2 days after we settled the bill, he gave us a call and told us he could get us another $50 bucks off our fridge... i seriously can't see another salesman going out of his way like that. So... YUP! thumbs up to Mr ASHOK KUMAR from PARKWAY PARADE HN.

Signing off! from humid singapore.........

Edited by Pirvan

Wow... that is a piece of good info on the triangle kitchen. I hope my kitchen layout can achieve the triangle effect. What I am worry is, does the sink and hob has to be 90cm away? Will it be a bit too close? Chinese always has this saying that water and fire cannot place too close with each other.

Holaa Ayazumi, hey hey! the hacking in your house is coming along nicely! :)

Regarding the 90cm rule.. well.. maybe its a misnomer calling it a rule. More like a guideline i guess... i trrrriieeeddd to implement the triangle in my kitchen.. turned out to be more like... hexigonal!.. muahahahaha :)

Edited by Pirvan

next comes the choosing of the laminates.pretty crucial too !

OMG so many choices ...never knew there are so many shades , textures, patterns.. and they are so very irresistable and we can only choose 1 :help: .

20120308164441.th.jpg

20120308164646.th.jpg

20120308164409.th.jpg

In the end, we chose

20120308164112.th.jpg

matched it against the screed wall and felt it goes well together..The pattern is also very natural looking while standing out ! Just think screed, black granite and rustic woods...Lets hope the final effect is goodz!

What do you think ?

Hi,

May i know the laminate which you had chosen belongs to which company? I have been looking for something similar like yours..

Edited by Terrain1976

Okie Dokes! Too much talk..picture time!

Many things happened during the time i was away. So i shall try and catch up with all the pictures Donny sent to me via whatsapp everyday.

FLOORING! Evorich Resilient Flooring. We were deciding between laminate, engineered wood or this. In the end, we took the less hassle choice and went this way. Hopefully it will still be able to give us that woodsie feel we were trying to go for.

img20120317wa0002.jpg

Rustic color for the future study room

img20120317wa0000.jpg

Durban ash or something like that for the storeroom

img20120317wa0001.jpg

The color of our living - dining - part of kitchen.

20120319163610.jpg

And finally, a dark daaarkkk color for the MBR + WIW and walkway to toilet. Finger crossed it won't make everything too dark at night!

20120319163700.jpg

Edited by Pirvan

Hi,

May i know the laminate which you had chosen belongs to which company? I have been looking for something similar like yours..

Hi Terrain, i believe the brand of the laminate is EDI. Hope that helps!

Pirvan, I tried to visualise the triangle kitchen in mine, but can't seem to fit in the triangle. Is that laminate flooring or wood flooring? Looks pretty. I love the bathroom stone feature wall. You are quite daring huh... Despite difficult to maintain, but who cares? Beauty is the key word. hahaha...

Terrain, the laminates come from a catalogue book called White Logic. You ask your contractor or ID to find you this catalogue book.

I like the laminate that Choco84 chosen, especially the line texture, feels like real wood. I personally feel that this laminate can be used for features, shelves and wardrobes, but not in wet kitchen. The texture does not feel like it is water resistant kind

Cannot do toilet too nice.... Else risk of getting piles coz stay in the toilet too long.... :sport-smiley-004:

Cannot do toilet too nice.... Else risk of getting piles coz stay in the toilet too long.... :sport-smiley-004:

Lol Beluga! I'll remember your advise the next time i am in there doing my business :) :) :)

Regarding cleaning the craftstones... yeah i guess it will be a real pain in the behind to clean, thats why we've only restricted the placement to above and below the mirror pelmet. Hopefully this will reduce the area we have to clean... or maybe we're just lying to convince ourselves.. muahahahahah :sport-smiley-004: