Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Akitsuki

Serangoon North Renovation By Defong Interior Design

So far the other walls which are newly plastered in our house do not surface hair line cracks (touch wood). Only the concealed wall has hair line cracks. Like what May and taichipanda said, hollow brick walls cause hair line cracks. Hopefully repainting the wall can patch up the crack line.

its not the plastering that will make the crack cos plaster is not that thick. its those hollow blocks that will give the crack. i do not have crack anywhere except the wall to my storeroom that were rebuilt with hollow blocks.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

its not the plastering that will make the crack cos plaster is not that thick. its those hollow blocks that will give the crack. i do not have crack anywhere except the wall to my storeroom that were rebuilt with hollow blocks.

Same here. Only walls that were rebuild using hollow block will crack when it settled.

I pump the silicon along the crack and use my finger to rub into the crack, when dry i repaint it with the leftover Nippon Odourless Easywash, undiluted so color stay the same as the original coat.

Same here. Only walls that were rebuild using hollow block will crack when it settled.

I pump the silicon along the crack and use my finger to rub into the crack, when dry i repaint it with the leftover Nippon Odourless Easywash, undiluted so color stay the same as the original coat.

problem for Aya is she is not sure whether the painter did mix her paint with water. so the colour might be different. and there are no leftover paint too so she have to buy another can.

problem for Aya is she is not sure whether the painter did mix her paint with water. so the colour might be different. and there are no leftover paint too so she have to buy another can.

Ya. They could have mixed the paint with water or other solutions to paint my house walls, so if I buy the paint from off shelf of the color I want, the new coating might be too thick and darker than the current paint color.

I see... If that is the case, dilute more then paint 1 coat by 1 coat to get the tone you want, better than paint a darker coat and ruin the original.

Or you can be creative and stencil some arty pattern over the crack line.

Edited by taichipanda

Hubby bought a small tin of paint and touch up the crack lines. Now can't see the crack lines, hopefully when the paint is dried, the crack lines will not show up again

I thk it would still crack after a while, even when repaint, my MBR was w new wall built, had patch up 2 wks ago just be4 handover.. Yesterday I see the same crack line again!

Think best is to put wall paper

Hi ayazumi

Happy for you that your almsot 2 months of reno is over.

Hopefully the hairline cracks won't appear anymore.

Im still in the mist of sourcing for good IDs.

Can pm me your reno costing (can see the quotation?) and your furnishing costings too?

Thanks and I love your birdcage!

Kudo to your hubby!

I thk it would still crack after a while, even when repaint, my MBR was w new wall built, had patch up 2 wks ago just be4 handover.. Yesterday I see the same crack line again!

Think best is to put wall paper

Hopefully the line will not appear again. We may not want to put wallpaper. It consumes a lot of time and effort to paste the wallpaper. Moreover, a small can of paint is still cheaper than wallpaper.

Hi ayazumi

Happy for you that your almsot 2 months of reno is over.

Hopefully the hairline cracks won't appear anymore.

Im still in the mist of sourcing for good IDs.

Can pm me your reno costing (can see the quotation?) and your furnishing costings too?

Thanks and I love your birdcage!

Kudo to your hubby!

Hi, I have pm-ed you. If you are looking for ID, mine is definitely not what you are looking for. They are more of a contractor than an ID.

Edited by ayazumi

Hi,

Just finished reading your blog. Hope ur water leak issue will be resolved soon.

If possible, could I get your carpenter uncle and the window blind seller contacts?

Thanks

Hi,

Just finished reading your blog. Hope ur water leak issue will be resolved soon.

If possible, could I get your carpenter uncle and the window blind seller contacts?

Thanks

Hi there. Thank you for visiting our blog. I have pm-ed you.

Yes, the leaking issue has resolved. Hubby unscrewed the hook hanger, and fill the hole and grout line with silicon. So far no leakage, but still monitoring. Recently there is no heavy rain, so we can't see if the water has leak in or not.

Hi Elise. I am very sorry to hear your plight, and I feel that it is partly my fault for increasing readers' expectations on Defong too. We should have been more frank when updating our blog, but we restrain from doing so, because Defong is watching over our blog. Every single comment I made, our contractor will use it to "suan" us. There was a point when I broke down and decided not to speak to my contractor anymore. That was when we wanted to discuss about the design of the kitchen cabinet. As I mentioned earlier, Defong is not an ID, though they put their name cards as ID, they are actually a coordinating contractor only. Basic drawings they know how to draw, but they can't design for you. My kitchen cabinet design came from Valerie, and with the help of others like May, NeoBY, Hubby, etc. That is something good about T-blog as everyone is very helpful and will share their thoughts and ideas with you.

For those who really want to engage Defong, just a gentle reminder again. They are not Interior Designers, they are just coordinating contractors. If you are looking for interior designers, don't look for Defong. As what happened to your house Elise, I am really sorry to hear that. Defong might be receiving a lot of projects now, and they should be frank with you or other homeowners currently how many projects they are handling, so homeowners can decide if to engage them or not. They should have work ethical, and not making themselves overloaded with renovation projects yet can't do well in other people's renovation works. Quality that counts, not quantity. If Defong continues to give crappy worksmanship, how to introduce customers to people? How to maintain our blog here? We will also be indirectly involved in scamming homeowners to sign with Defong too.

Elise, if you browse back a few pages of our blog, you should see that our hollow bricks are covered with cement first before plastering

2012-03-26182130.jpg

If directly plastering on hollow bricks, I'm not sure what is the consequences. Maybe the wall will have more crack lines. Our wall has two layers - cement and plaster - already got crack lines. I expect more crack lines will form if direct layer with plaster on hollow bricks.

Edited by ayazumi

Hi Aki & Aya, I decided to remove my comments on my renovation contractor cos my reno still midway.... worried tat something will happen.... haha... tat's the typical Singaporeans mentality. the ID is chosen by myself and just gotta accept the consequences lor....

Edited by Elise23