Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

Mansionette Owner

Thank you so much for the info.. Hopefully more EM

Owners esp west area can share more..

Why don't you say which estate you are interested in? The west got so many EMs, surely you don't expect owners from all the estates to respond to this generic request? Plus the units will be built at different times by different contractors so I would think that only info from the estate you are interested in will be useful.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Thought this may be interesting for some:

$110k reno: http://business.asia...604-350442.html

Thanks for posting the link to the article on EM.

Did the couple get the EM in Bishan for $600K in 2009?

So, it is $130K in reno cost and furnishings.

Just less than a year ago, I did view at least 10 EM units in Bishan, none is close to this price. Asking price is all above 700K. I think now it is even higher.

In my opinion, the writer should report on more recent recent renovations.

Edited by potatoes

Thanks for posting the link to the article on EM.

Did the couple get the EM in Bishan for $600K in 2009?

So, it is $130K in reno cost and furnishings.

Just less than a year ago, I did view at least 10 EM units in Bishan, none is close to this price. Asking price is all above 700K. I think now it is even higher.

In my opinion, the writer should report on more recent recent renovations.

She did try. I declined being featured since I have no wish to be "exposed" for having an expensive reno. Think not so easy to find an owner willing to share their reno cost AND to be featured only cos of the cost.

Hi adidae, as mentioned in my earlier post i'm looking for EM in Jurong west and Jurong east area. But I'm also open to other parts in the west so I hope EM owners can also share anything bad or good about their EM etc.

Edited by spikedoll

Thought this may be interesting for some:

$110k reno: http://business.asiaone.com/Business/News/Story/A1Story20120604-350442.html

Somehow true at least for me and hubby who had "arguments" over condo or maisonette. :P he loves big space and dislikes the fact or almost all units in a condo are of same design and deco. Condos these days are really small and with that kind of price, he rather go for maisonette and renovate according to own desired design that's different from others. He rather spend more on reno. Obviously he won and so our next house will be a maisonette but I'm still grumble at times how troublesome it is to climb up and down the stairs in future lol

Hi adidae, as mentioned in my earlier post i'm looking for EM in Jurong west and Jurong east area. But I'm also open to other parts in the west so I hope EM owners can also share anything bad or good about their EM etc.

For those in JW, avoid those units facing the expressway. Really noisy at all hours of the day.

Get a North South facing unit - not as hot and windier.

Somehow true at least for me and hubby who had "arguments" over condo or maisonette. :P he loves big space and dislikes the fact or almost all units in a condo are of same design and deco. Condos these days are really small and with that kind of price, he rather go for maisonette and renovate according to own desired design that's different from others. He rather spend more on reno. Obviously he won and so our next house will be a maisonette but I'm still grumble at times how troublesome it is to climb up and down the stairs in future lol

Hi Spikedoll, I used to stay in a condo but now have decided to stay in an EM. I agree with ur hubby that u don't get the space u want if u choose to live in condo. To be honest after staying 5yrs in a condo, what I get is the facilities such as swimming pool, tennis courts.....sheltered carpark where u know it is gurarded 24hrs. Basically it is all abt prestige. But it comes with a price.... High maintenance cost and sometimes inconvenience coz of it location.It is certainly more economical to live in an EM and u get to enjoy neighbourhood facilities. Don't worry too much abt the stairs. I know of an EM that has an elevator built in it....Found in adidaem's blog. I may need to consider that for my old age... Haha :)

Edited by potatoes

Hi Spikedoll, I used to stay in a condo but now have decided to stay in an EM. I agree with ur hubby that u don't get the space u want if u choose to live in condo. To be honest after staying 5yrs in a condo, what I get is the facilities such as swimming pool, tennis courts.....sheltered carpark where u know it is gurarded 24hrs. Basically it is all abt prestige. But it comes with a price.... High maintenance cost and sometimes inconvenience coz of it location.It is certainly more economical to live in an EM and u get to enjoy neighbourhood facilities. Don't worry too much abt the stairs. I know of an EM that has an elevator built in it....Found in adidaem's blog. I may need to consider that for my old age... Haha :)

Elevator in EM? Approved by HDb?

Ya you are right that we wont enjoy the space in typical 3/4 bedder condo unless penthouse ( I need to tio toto first)

I'm looking forward searching for our dream EM .. Hopefully we can find one soon .. Enjoy looking at the tblog of fellow EM owners.. :)

Edited by spikedoll

Elevator in EM? Approved by HDb?

Ya you are right that we wont enjoy the space in typical 3/4 bedder condo unless penthouse ( I need to tio toto first)

I'm looking forward searching for our dream EM .. Hopefully we can find one soon .. Enjoy looking at the tblog of fellow EM owners.. :)

Lift in EM , I read this in adidaem's blog.

http://emrenoblog.wordpress.com/2011/05/09/did-you-know-you-can-install-a-lift-in-ems/

It was $60K back in 2009. Just wonder anyone else installed lift that is wheelchair-friendly.

potatoes, may i suggest u get some bird control spikes from daiso (green or black in color)and place them where the nest is after the birds move out.

Hi Rickoveron, many thanks for the suggestion! I've got the spikes from Daiso, hope it will help tp keep the pigeons away.. :yamseng:

Hi Rickoveron, many thanks for the suggestion! I've got the spikes from Daiso, hope it will help tp keep the pigeons away.. :yamseng:

Please let me know if this is effective. Thx :)

Hi all,

Thks to all the pioneers here, finally a thread to tap on the expertise of everyone owning an EM.

We are new EM Owners (Gen 1) and we didnt even thought to buy EM in the first place.

Currently we have shortlisted our contractors based on the expertise and feedback of the seniors here... hopefully we will be able to find a contractor that will help us within our budget.

Just to check with everyone here, how do you decide on whether to install grilles in your balconies, to install roof or even to do without any grilles?

Also, as we are accidental EM owners, can pls share what is the difference between Gen 1, 2 and 3?

Thanks!! :)

Also, as we are accidental EM owners, can pls share what is the difference between Gen 1, 2 and 3?

There are variants within each category but they are largely:

Gen 1 : Rectangular balcony accessible only by the living room

Gen 2 : Square balcony with access from living room and kitchen

Gen 3 : Similar to Gen 2 but smaller (approx 14x sq m vs. 15x sq m)

An then there are the penthouse types (Strathmore, Potong Pasir, Bishan), the triangular type, and certain Gen 2 even have a small MBR balcony, and so on. But most of us have pretty standard layouts.

There are variants within each category but they are largely:

Gen 1 : Rectangular balcony accessible only by the living room

Gen 2 : Square balcony with access from living room and kitchen

Gen 3 : Similar to Gen 2 but smaller (approx 14x sq m vs. 15x sq m)

An then there are the penthouse types (Strathmore, Potong Pasir, Bishan), the triangular type, and certain Gen 2 even have a small MBR balcony, and so on. But most of us have pretty standard layouts.

Actually Gen 3 comes with two balconies, one in living room, the other being a service balcony. They also come without a rubbish chute.

Hi all,

Thks to all the pioneers here, finally a thread to tap on the expertise of everyone owning an EM.

We are new EM Owners (Gen 1) and we didnt even thought to buy EM in the first place.

Currently we have shortlisted our contractors based on the expertise and feedback of the seniors here... hopefully we will be able to find a contractor that will help us within our budget.

Just to check with everyone here, how do you decide on whether to install grilles in your balconies, to install roof or even to do without any grilles?

About the various EM layout,

You can also refer to adidaem's blog for a comprehensive description:

http://emrenoblog.wordpress.com/2011/05/06/how-many-types-of-em-layouts-are-there/