Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

Mansionette Owner

Hi Andrina, is ur EM in HG? Congrats in joining the ranks of EM owners......

Btw, Cleong and I are staying in the same block. Our block is about 26 yrs old and electrical power not upgraded. I am using system 4 for my 3 bedrooms and study room in 1st level. I had wanted to add in another compressor to aircon my living room but must get approval coz of this contraint. However, I will attempt to seek approval for a 2nd compressor at a later stage :)

Hi Potatoes,

u are so clever!!! my husband says that he bought this flat for me to put my support for Thor into action! :bangwall: haha...

I am not really able to reply to replies quickly so sorry as I am working hard to slog off and pay for my reno and furnishings....so pls pardon me ok?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

We don’t have kids or a fear of heights. Guess most people can’t install such windows and install grills for safety or security reasons. :P

Hate grills cos it gives the prison effect.

p1050011.jpg

p1050012.jpg

p1050086.jpg

We did install window grills on the corridor side for security reason.

No roof cos I love the double volume space and want to keep the balcony. We have installed roller shutters tho cos it can get really windy and we get a bit worried about the fan and balcony doors.

Wah, ur balcony so cool!!! :dribble: :dribble:

I have 3 kids but i think after much discussion w hubs and looking at your pic, we have also decided not to install anything or build any roof... just go kosong! :rolleyes: of course it also means that I will have to constantly monitor and tell my kids to stay away.... (we are staying in lvl 30s now so far so gd!)

next up for us is to monitor and check out different contractors. crossing fingers and hoping we get a gd deal!

Adidaem, we don't have roof too and simply love the high ceiling:)

Do u have pics on ur new roller shutter for ur balcony? Thx:)

Here you go... freshly taken with iPhone camera so pardon the shaky snaps...

When all coiled up:

photo-27.jpg

Down, but with some ventilation slits:

photo-28.jpg

Fully enclosed:

photo-29.jpg

My 2 ac compressors are in the balcony tho, so it gets unbearably hot in the balcony and toilets if you lower the shutters AND switch on the ac (yeah, we experimented).

Was too lazy to go out in the hot sun to take the external shots but it looks good from the outside. My unit is very distinctively 'white' with the white roller shutters and roller blinds all down. Yeah, white inside out... :D

Guess we'll use the shutters more during the rainy season.

Are you installing in your balcony?

Wah, ur balcony so cool!!! :dribble: :dribble:

I have 3 kids but i think after much discussion w hubs and looking at your pic, we have also decided not to install anything or build any roof... just go kosong! :rolleyes: of course it also means that I will have to constantly monitor and tell my kids to stay away.... (we are staying in lvl 30s now so far so gd!)

next up for us is to monitor and check out different contractors. crossing fingers and hoping we get a gd deal!

How old are your kids? As much as I like the open feel, I'll be willing to install grills if I have young kids. You just don't want any accidents to happen... Think ok once they are 10-11 yo.

My 2 ac compressors are in the balcony tho, so it gets unbearably hot in the balcony and toilets if you lower the shutters AND switch on the ac (yeah, we experimented).

Was too lazy to go out in the hot sun to take the external shots but it looks good from the outside. My unit is very distinctively 'white' with the white roller shutters and roller blinds all down. Yeah, white inside out... :D

Guess we'll use the shutters more during the rainy season.

Are you installing in your balcony?

Thanks for the pics ... very nice and well taken :)

On a rainy day, I think I will be able to spot your house from outside ... heehee :)

Your balcony opening is not too big, so I think it is feasible to install the roller shutter. Is it mechanism noisy when it is folding up/down?

My EM is the Gen 1 type (balcony is 5m long)..... I don't see anyone installing such huge roller shutter. As such, I am still studying the possiblity of installing a good retractable awning system.

Hi potatoes, there is a unit (or two) in the HUDC EMs across the road that do have the roller shutter installed, but they require a centre track because as you rightly point out the balcony is 5m wide and I suppose its too wide for a single rolller shutter panel. In your case you might need to dismantle your existing wrought iron grilles though?

Thanks for the pics ... very nice and well taken :)

On a rainy day, I think I will be able to spot your house from outside ... heehee :)

Your balcony opening is not too big, so I think it is feasible to install the roller shutter. Is it mechanism noisy when it is folding up/down?

My EM is the Gen 1 type (balcony is 5m long)..... I don't see anyone installing such huge roller shutter. As such, I am still studying the possiblity of installing a good retractable awning system.

Haha, my unit is distinctive regardless of rain/roller shutter - how many EMs have fans installed in their balconies anyway? ;) If you ever pop by Mei Ling Market for the yummy herbal horfun or famous chicken rice, you can spot my unit from the MSCP.

I find it noisy, but my hubby doesn't, so depends on tolerance level I guess. We seldom use it anyway - it hasn't been raining!!

I think no harm asking roller shutter vendors to see the option, tho I do agree 5M wide shutters will be hard to install (not to mention carry up to the unit...). Neighbours who have installed windows/grills have either ended the shutters above the windows (note the irritating metal bar that serves as the 'marker'), or managed to get the shutters to come down all the way to enclose the grills. You have a potbellied grill design tho, so you may need to have the shutter more 'inwards' so that the grills are on the outside instead.

Or go for awnings as mentioned? Think is good alternative, plus cheaper? And you can get ventilation for both your living and bed room during wet weather which I think is important... Tho I would be concerned about maintenance/bird droppings. :P

Haha, my unit is distinctive regardless of rain/roller shutter - how many EMs have fans installed in their balconies anyway? ;) If you ever pop by Mei Ling Market for the yummy herbal horfun or famous chicken rice, you can spot my unit from the MSCP.

I find it noisy, but my hubby doesn't, so depends on tolerance level I guess. We seldom use it anyway - it hasn't been raining!!

I think no harm asking roller shutter vendors to see the option, tho I do agree 5M wide shutters will be hard to install (not to mention carry up to the unit...). Neighbours who have installed windows/grills have either ended the shutters above the windows (note the irritating metal bar that serves as the 'marker'), or managed to get the shutters to come down all the way to enclose the grills. You have a potbellied grill design tho, so you may need to have the shutter more 'inwards' so that the grills are on the outside instead.

Or go for awnings as mentioned? Think is good alternative, plus cheaper? And you can get ventilation for both your living and bed room during wet weather which I think is important... Tho I would be concerned about maintenance/bird droppings. :P

Thank you for your suggestion. My current 5m potbellied grille gave my ID a hard time to get his workers to walk up 8 storeys. Thanks also to Cleong for suggesting a centre piece to divide the roller shutter. I assume I would need 2 roller shutters.

The idea of putting a retractable awning system is pending. I have seen my neighbours facing challengea to maintain their awning. The motor can spoil easily or what happens when it is dirtied by birds or insects? How to bring it down to clean? More work for me? Haha :)

The idea of putting a retractable awning system is pending. I have seen my neighbours facing challengea to maintain their awning. The motor can spoil easily or what happens when it is dirtied by birds or insects? How to bring it down to clean? More work for me? Haha :)

Its not hard to clean as your master bedroom windows overlook the awning canvas. You just need to use a floor scrub on a pole to brush it every now and again, and you can retract it to bring the edge closer to you for cleaning. Birds don't perch on the awning because the angle is "wrong" for them. The only blemish is lizard poop...

Thank you for your suggestion. My current 5m potbellied grille gave my ID a hard time to get his workers to walk up 8 storeys. Thanks also to Cleong for suggesting a centre piece to divide the roller shutter. I assume I would need 2 roller shutters.

You mentioned problem with awning motor? Can you elaborate?

Its not hard to clean as your master bedroom windows overlook the awning canvas. You just need to use a floor scrub on a pole to brush it every now and again, and you can retract it to bring the edge closer to you for cleaning. Birds don't perch on the awning because the angle is "wrong" for them. The only blemish is lizard poop...

Ohhh... how do you handle lizards? I hate lizard poop/lizards. Been spending $ regularly on lizard traps. Wonder if there is some effective way to prevent them from entering in the first place? Almost tempted to try the empty egg shell advice but not sure if it'll really work or create a smell (from the unwashed egg white)?

Ohhh... how do you handle lizards? I hate lizard poop/lizards. Been spending $ regularly on lizard traps. Wonder if there is some effective way to prevent them from entering in the first place? Almost tempted to try the empty egg shell advice but not sure if it'll really work or create a smell (from the unwashed egg white)?

My friend also have a retractable awning. When I asked her why she had to open it manually, she said the motor didn't work after a few years. The vendor who sold her the system no longer keep stock of this. I m worried if I get this motorized system, it must be build to last and easy to maintain. One thing I didn't like is the awning is a little to low. I want it to cover my Aircon compressor.

Lizards / lizard poops.... I use the traps but sometimes they r so smart... They refuse to get into the sticky trap leh... Haha :)

I also use insect spray to exterminate them and prevent them from reproducing in my place. Have killed more than 10 lizards since I moved in last Oct.

Edited by potatoes

When all coiled up:

photo-27.jpg

Down, but with some ventilation slits:

photo-28.jpg

Fully enclosed:

photo-29.jpg

Hi Adidaem,

Hi!

I will be getting my keys to my EM in Yishun in August :sport-smiley-018:

I am interested to know the contact details of the contractor doing your roller shutter, please. :rolleyes:

Thank you.

Cheers, :yamseng:

Lynn

My awning motor is faulty. Unable to hoist up! Only can heard the motor running when pressing the roll down switch. Call a few contractor to fix appt. Mostly quote - switch faulty - $180/- Motor faulty (included scafolding and a new switch)- $950/-

Faint*

I shoo them away - they help to keep other nasty insects at bay! My wife refuses to let me kill them anyway, and I suppose they're quite harmless. Only needs us to keep cleaning up after their poop. If you had a pet dog/cat you'd have to do the same...... :thumbs up:

I shoo them away - they help to keep other nasty insects at bay! My wife refuses to let me kill them anyway, and I suppose they're quite harmless. Only needs us to keep cleaning up after their poop. If you had a pet dog/cat you'd have to do the same...... :thumbs up:

Actually a cat will help you shoo them away. =X