Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

Mansionette Owner

The bottom line is all abt budget, if within the budget and able to do a overhaul then y not...u r going to live in the hse for aleast 5yrs so 5yrs of nice env. n not fearing of things falling apart during tat period is worth the $$...taking into consideration tat money will only get smaller & things getting more ex.....2013 coming can foresee that reno prices will go up again...n im geeting the keys next yr :dunno:

Thanks for ur kind opinion...and making me feel good.. lol!! Hubby having the same opinion.. like we staying for long term and things will get more ex in future etc.. i do agree and on the other hand am thinking of saving up the moolahs for rainy days.. and hubby simply says am just stingy!! Hahahaha!! Iike whatever.. hahaha..

So now me in day9 reno.. juz got my IS lD to show me the apprix final figure.. and thank god..not as bad as i expected..

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I installed fixed lourves above my service yard, it is certainly not the most pretty but it's cost effective and practical. Two of my condensers are already hanging up there so the view is already blocked I figured might as well install that so that the rain is blocked out but there is still ventilation. Helps that it is fairly cheap too compared to other solutions.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing! :yamseng:

Do you happen to have any pictures to share? If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost for installation and all?

Hi all,

Anyone residing in yishun? What are the costs for a full overhaul? (with ID)

My recent quotation for electrical points alone is $4900 for the whole house, and the cost for the window (white powder coating with blue tint casement type for all rooms except level 1 dining room and bedroom- white powder coating with blue frost film for privacy for bedroom and mirror film for dining: sliding type) and window grilles plus the door gate is just below 3k. Is it considered expensive?

And for those who have/had engaged IDs, do they provide you the cost per ft run for hacking/waterproofing/labour etc?

For service yards, what is the most cost effective and practical to install in the area? I've seen roller shutters, awnings, openable roofing systems... first choice would be the openable roofing system, but it is not within our budget. I like having the option of being able to open up the area rather than having it sealed up with roofing tiles... :unsure:

Appreciate all the help I can get! Thanks in advance!

My new place is in yishun :)

My reno looks like it's going to be around 90-100k for an overhaul. That includes electrical rewiring, plumbing and installation charges. Your window, grilles and gate quote seems alright (but that's just comparing to mine). Mine is about $3k, powder-coated aluminum, no color limitation, the whole house. Some are casement and those facing the corridor are sliding.

So far, my cost for hacking, waterproofing and labor are mostly lump sums. The per foot run is only displayed for carpentry, rebuilding of walls, tiles, doors and all that.

Hope this helps! :)

Hi,

Thanks for sharing! :yamseng:

Do you happen to have any pictures to share? If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost for installation and all?

It looks similar to the picture in the link but the sides are aluminium and not timber, of course the scale is much bigger than in the pic as well.

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10324p.nsf/w/HomeMaintMaintenanceGuide?OpenDocument#TimberLouvred

Take a look at your block and see what people have done, some put casement and even sliding aluminium windows and I have no idea how they reach them. Those with bigger budgets can have electronically controlled shutters. Of course there is the roof also... I can't remember exactly how much I paid, I think it was in the 500 ballpark? Didn't shop around was recommended by my id so I' not sure if there are better deals out there.

Wow all em Reno all close to 100k.. My contractor was still telling me if I do overhaul can be done at 45k...

The 100k ones are mostly engaging IDs. Contractors should charge considerably less..

But don't think gonna do overhaul since I'm on quite a tight budget..will be meeting the contractor this Sunday at the house for some measurement and see if their final quote be will any lesser..

For service yards, what is the most cost effective and practical to install in the area? I've seen roller shutters, awnings, openable roofing systems... first choice would be the openable roofing system, but it is not within our budget. I like having the option of being able to open up the area rather than having it sealed up with roofing tiles... :unsure:

Appreciate all the help I can get! Thanks in advance!

What does an openable roof system look like?

Hi all,

Nice to see many EM owners here.

Me also EM owner (moved in 2008). And was active in this forum under another nick "Jessie" but can't recall my pw thus re-create anther nick here.

How much is the COV asking in market now?

Well, I'm not selling at this moment as my EM is currently tenanted and would consider selling if able to fetch my ideal asking price lor. Hehe :)

Hi chronograph,

Wow. You still chatting in this forum! Still rem me? Jessie (used to chat here in 2008). Sorry got o change nick cos can't recall my pw lah. Hehe :)

How much is the COV asking in market now?

Well, I'm not selling at this moment as my EM is currently tenanted and would consider selling if able to fetch my ideal asking price lor. Hehe :)

Hi Jessie, I am new here and I have just bought my EM at Hougang. From what I sensed after viewing and negotiating the COVs for a few units of EMs. The ultimate factor for COV is the location of the unit.

As I was previously looking at suitable units at Serangoon Central, Serangoon Ave 2, Hougang St 21 (Kovan) and Hougang Ave 8 and 10, I would say that EMs at Serangoon area tends to have better success rate of getting good COVs and the condition of the EMs (5 yrs renovation etc) plays a small part. The COVs between Hougang St 21 vs Hougang Ave 8 & 10 also has significant difference.

For better and accurate gauge of the current market price, you may wish to access the HDB Infoweb and do a search of your property under the Resale Price link.

:yamseng:

Hi Ken Luis, nice to hear you had bought EM in hougang. Welcome to hougang :)

Yeah, as I'm nt in urgent to sell, thus I will still hold my EM till probably 2015 and see the market by then.

Hope I will continue to get good rental for my EM then will likely not selling and will hold as long as possible :)