Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
theitsybits

Love Nest @ Casa

Nice wardrobe and bookshelves! The laminates of the wardrobe looks nice. I also thought of going to Bangkok for shopping after my reno is done. Looking forward to see your pics with your shoppings from Bangkok displayed in the house!

yes, i love the bookshelves and wardrobe..just wasn't really happy with the toilet laminates..Bangkok is a great place for home and decor stuff, especially if you spend some time to comb JJ market! It's super cheap too! I would say skip those Siam Discovery etc and just spend the weekend at JJ and Rod Fai flea market (both next to each other). Asiatique is great too.

It might take some time before the stuff are displayed! they are all wrapped up in bubble wrap and I left it that way since I'd need to move them over the the new place soon..

Wow, looks like some serious & careful planning has been made to customize that wardrobe of yours in the MBR ! Very Smart .... Looking forward to the completion of your new place.

yes!! :D it was initially my husband's idea, because i was complaining about not having a makeup area, and i didn't like those pull-out full-length mirror..plus i'm very particular about having a mirror facing the bed - big no-no! this is great for me.. :thumbs up:

Cant wait to see ur bangkok loots!

But jus wondering...hw did u managed to lug it back to sg if its very bulky or heavy?

hee, give me some time..need to house to be fully ready before moving them over.. :P don't really want to unwrap them now, and my room truly look like a warehouse, can't take nice picture to do them justice..

hmm how did i manage to lug it back to sg? through sheer determination and endurance! :P it was really tiring, i spend sunday sleeping..i brought one of those foldable huge bag so that it's easier to carry..but actually, only the plates were really heavy, other things wasn't that bad..i backpacked (hand carry) 10kg of plates home and checked in the rest..

Hey, I'm looking for a cheap easy pull down laundry hanging thing..

Where did you get your clothes rack from and how much was it?

I'm not sure if you have any experience with it yet but can you share your decision process and why did you choose this one?

Thank you. :)

this was provided by HDB! i'm not really sure how much it cost or where to get it..and....i'm not even sure if i'll use it..it's quite a hassle to lower it down..there's this long black strap that you must unwind many rounds before it can be lowered..I find it redundant and would rather use a U-stick to hang my clothes up..

perhaps others who's using this provided by HDB can comment?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Day 72

Carpentry works continue..progress ain't that fast because only one carpenter is working on it..he's a PRC while there's a bangala (he calls him that) helper..it's funny to see them work together because one doesn't speak english and the other doesn't speak chinese..so the carpenter is always annoyed with his helper, but obviously the helper doesn't understand anything he says.. :unsure: can sense the carpenter's irritated today, even asked the helper to use his brain - and he obviously didn't understand a word.. :dunno:

7781830962_c0c2325ec5_z.jpg

Book cabinet is completed today! I love it, it's the favorite piece of carpentry in the whole house. :thumbs up:

7781822110_323db17011_z.jpg

Guest/Kids room wardrobe is completed too..

7781816176_e75235c279_z.jpg

Living room feature wall at the recess area is completed too..the black area is a black board..but we find it somewhat weird..the planks are too narrow while the gaps too wide, and it does not reach the ceiling.. :bangwall: i didn't imagine it to look this way.. :o the border was also supposed to be done with plywood but ended up with white laminate instead..

7781836198_26523207b2_z.jpg

And he fitted one of my makeup cabinet door..

Day 72 cont

We've a few issues with carpentry works, nothing really major and I guess I can close one eye..although i'm really not that pleased about the feature wall's narrow planks! my heart pain when i saw that he had to throw away 4 huge drawers because they didn't communicate to him that we chose the big metal blum-like drawers instead..they are good brand new drawers, yet they have to go to waste because of some miscommunication..

One major problem the husband has is the underside of the drawers.

7781822444_b356201819_z.jpg

He cut a hole below so that your hands can reach in to pull out the drawers easily..all the holes were cut unevenly and you can see the staples and what's not inside..he's concerned about dust or potential pest hiding inside to lay eggs.. :unsure:

7781814228_b48d8105b7_z.jpg

The other problem is the gaps between the planks for the feature wall..they were supposed to sand paper it and lacquer the sides of the wood..yet you see such wood shavings in between and the 2 sides of the planks are not lacquered.

7781824670_d4836ef6c3_z.jpg

Scrutinizing the gaps, I see holes on the wood!! :jawdrop:

7781874016_cb1660592b_z.jpg

And this is my shoe cabinet..he's like ripping it apart.. :unsure:

*sigh..the carpenter is a good guy, and i don't doubt his skills..but he doesn't really note of these details somehow..because of his lack of eye for detail, I couldn't really say that his workmanship is good, yet it isn't that bad either..and he's probably overworked since he was still there when we left around 8pm these 2 days..plus he's working alone with a helper whom he can't communicate with..

I'm half-hearted about making him do any rectifications for it will be a lot of work and the pieces already done will go to waste.. :(

Edited by theitsybits

yes, i love the bookshelves and wardrobe..just wasn't really happy with the toilet laminates..Bangkok is a great place for home and decor stuff, especially if you spend some time to comb JJ market! It's super cheap too! I would say skip those Siam Discovery etc and just spend the weekend at JJ and Rod Fai flea market (both next to each other). Asiatique is great too.

It might take some time before the stuff are displayed! they are all wrapped up in bubble wrap and I left it that way since I'd need to move them over the the new place soon..

yes!! :D it was initially my husband's idea, because i was complaining about not having a makeup area, and i didn't like those pull-out full-length mirror..plus i'm very particular about having a mirror facing the bed - big no-no! this is great for me.. :thumbs up:

hee, give me some time..need to house to be fully ready before moving them over.. :P don't really want to unwrap them now, and my room truly look like a warehouse, can't take nice picture to do them justice..

hmm how did i manage to lug it back to sg? through sheer determination and endurance! :P it was really tiring, i spend sunday sleeping..i brought one of those foldable huge bag so that it's easier to carry..but actually, only the plates were really heavy, other things wasn't that bad..i backpacked (hand carry) 10kg of plates home and checked in the rest..

this was provided by HDB! i'm not really sure how much it cost or where to get it..and....i'm not even sure if i'll use it..it's quite a hassle to lower it down..there's this long black strap that you must unwind many rounds before it can be lowered..I find it redundant and would rather use a U-stick to hang my clothes up..

perhaps others who's using this provided by HDB can comment?

thanks for the shopping tips! wow, both of you very strong. :good: i think of moving house i also tired... will patiently wait for more photos updates. :)

wow, now that your bookshelves are completed, really lovely design!

i also dun like the mirror facing bed. feels very uneasy. even before my reno complete, i already headache how to fit in the dressing table.

thanks for the shopping tips! wow, both of you very strong. :good: i think of moving house i also tired... will patiently wait for more photos updates. :)

wow, now that your bookshelves are completed, really lovely design!

i also dun like the mirror facing bed. feels very uneasy. even before my reno complete, i already headache how to fit in the dressing table.

not both, only me wor..my husband was travelling for work, i went with 2 other gf..so it's really tiring..

but actually, if you like those bamboo wood-like cutlery (i love them), they are so much cheaper in bkk and light..i got quite a few teaspoons, rice scoop and a serving tray..i also got the glove-like thingy to lift pots from Naraya, some nice checkered kitchen cloth, hand-made place mats and clock..i'm sure there's alot of light stuff to bring back!

i think shopping is different from moving..i think of moving also want to die..haha! i think i'll take my time and move luggage by luggage over..

my room really can't fit a dressing table, it can only fit my king size bed and 2 tiny side tables..only left walking space le..

not both, only me wor..my husband was travelling for work, i went with 2 other gf..so it's really tiring..

but actually, if you like those bamboo wood-like cutlery (i love them), they are so much cheaper in bkk and light..i got quite a few teaspoons, rice scoop and a serving tray..i also got the glove-like thingy to lift pots from Naraya, some nice checkered kitchen cloth, hand-made place mats and clock..i'm sure there's alot of light stuff to bring back!

i think shopping is different from moving..i think of moving also want to die..haha! i think i'll take my time and move luggage by luggage over..

my room really can't fit a dressing table, it can only fit my king size bed and 2 tiny side tables..only left walking space le..

Oh, but good to find things you like and at a good price! haha, shopping is the fun part, while moving is the part that most people hate. I think I will do the same, slowly move...

wow, king size is huge, most new houses can't fit in beds of that size. dressing table belongs to another era. I want to fit in a queen size bed, one wardrobe and a dressing table, and my bed can't face certain direction... not sure if possible without looking weird.

Day 72 cont

We've a few issues with carpentry works, nothing really major and I guess I can close one eye..although i'm really not that pleased about the feature wall's narrow planks! my heart pain when i saw that he had to throw away 4 huge drawers because they didn't communicate to him that we chose the big metal blum-like drawers instead..they are good brand new drawers, yet they have to go to waste because of some miscommunication..

He cut a hole below so that your hands can reach in to pull out the drawers easily..all the holes were cut unevenly and you can see the staples and what's not inside..he's concerned about dust or potential pest hiding inside to lay eggs.. :unsure:

The other problem is the gaps between the planks for the feature wall..they were supposed to sand paper it and lacquer the sides of the wood..yet you see such wood shavings in between and the 2 sides of the planks are not lacquered.

*sigh..the carpenter is a good guy, and i don't doubt his skills..but he doesn't really note of these details somehow..because of his lack of eye for detail, I couldn't really say that his workmanship is good, yet it isn't that bad either..and he's probably overworked since he was still there when we left around 8pm these 2 days..plus he's working alone with a helper whom he can't communicate with..

I'm half-hearted about making him do any rectifications for it will be a lot of work and the pieces already done will go to waste.. :(

I hate it when the wood has rough edges and holes in the cabinets. For the holes, you can ask the carpenter to fill them up. Not sure what the material is called, but he just squeeze something in that is similar color and its filled up within a few seconds.

We had the same problem with carpentry! It seems they only care about how it looks from the outside. We had holes & chipped laminates in the insides of our cabinets, rough edges, underside of our cement ledge left with a rough hole (like they anyhow knock a hole on it just to fit the basin pipes and then leave it). I guess better tell them, especially the major ones, rather than having to live with something you don't really like in the first place. We had our ID discard several big pieces of carpentry because it was totally off, it's heart pain i know >.<

Btw, your bookcase is looking great!! :)

Day 72 cont

Oh, but good to find things you like and at a good price! haha, shopping is the fun part, while moving is the part that most people hate. I think I will do the same, slowly move...

wow, king size is huge, most new houses can't fit in beds of that size. dressing table belongs to another era. I want to fit in a queen size bed, one wardrobe and a dressing table, and my bed can't face certain direction... not sure if possible without looking weird.

my bed dun wan face door and window, so only left one position! far i like king sized bed..and prefer to have more space in bedroom not scared knock into things (i very clumsy esp in morning kun busy ki)..so juz put one bed in the room can le..

I hate it when the wood has rough edges and holes in the cabinets. For the holes, you can ask the carpenter to fill them up. Not sure what the material is called, but he just squeeze something in that is similar color and its filled up within a few seconds.

really?? but this hole is in the gaps between my wooden plank..it may be quite difficult to reach into it..otherwise later not careful my white planks kana also how.. :unsure:

We had the same problem with carpentry! It seems they only care about how it looks from the outside. We had holes & chipped laminates in the insides of our cabinets, rough edges, underside of our cement ledge left with a rough hole (like they anyhow knock a hole on it just to fit the basin pipes and then leave it). I guess better tell them, especially the major ones, rather than having to live with something you don't really like in the first place. We had our ID discard several big pieces of carpentry because it was totally off, it's heart pain i know >.<

Btw, your bookcase is looking great!! :)

is this the norm? as in every carpenter is like that?

i don't know how much is too much..and because it's relative, abit hard..i can imagine MIL telling me not to be so calculative, small thing only won't die.. ;) and ar, we waited 7 weeks since we requested for measurements! want to rectify don't know need how long more.. :o

Day 73

Went down after work, but to my dismay, carpenter didn't come today and nothing was done.

I've arranged for lights and fans to be delivered and installed on Friday, and husband called carpenter to confirm that he can finish tomorrow..

Solid top still no news after measurement on Friday. Carpenter said 3 days after measurement, and it's 3 full days tomorrow. No clue when they are going to come install..super slow these people..! after kitchen ready for solid top, takes one whole week before coming down for measurements!! At this rate, it's impossible for them to ever finish one whole renovation job within 6 weeks right? :furious:

I spent the evening sweeping the floor and cleaning up the place..and we found that the workmanship for my bookshelves was pretty bad.. :bangwall: i suppose can't be changed unless they change whole thing?

7788507490_4426a37b8b_z.jpg

7788561776_c181cdfff9_z.jpg

7788545444_f839c02667_z.jpg

This is not normal right?? 8|

There are also a lot of holes inside the carpentry, can someone advise if this is normal?

7788530630_2351c5bfb6_z.jpg

And my shoe cabinet was not supposed to have backing, but it came with backing and they were trying to rip apart the staples.. :o i suppose there will be many many holes and they won't mend back the hole since they will not be seen after installation..

7788518266_f21c6d85c1_z.jpg

And got 2 big holes in between the gaps of my feature wall.. :bangwall:

*sigh..the rest of the carpentry isn't that bad although not perfect either..so much for having the best carpenter and internal laminates that are supposed to last forever..i guess he's just not that particular about these details which differentiate good workmanship and not-so-good workmanship..will bring my dslr and macro lens to take some clearer pictures this Friday..

gonna let the husband do what he deems fit and maintain my silence..got it bad enough the last time.. :help:

Edited by theitsybits

I can understand how you feel when you see such workmanship. I also faced the same thing sometimes and really have the urge to say, give me your tools I do it! 8|

Really bad workmanship. Think is unacceptable quality. Pls do something about it cos it'll be pretty constant daily eyesore... And I can't imagine your MIL being ok with it, but at least show her the workmanship and if no action taken, you have excellent grounds not to use her contacts in future reno. Good luck! Almost there.

I can understand how you feel when you see such workmanship. I also faced the same thing sometimes and really have the urge to say, give me your tools I do it! 8|

no lei, no urge to do myself because I know I'm no expert and won't do it well..!

Really bad workmanship. Think is unacceptable quality. Pls do something about it cos it'll be pretty constant daily eyesore... And I can't imagine your MIL being ok with it, but at least show her the workmanship and if no action taken, you have excellent grounds not to use her contacts in future reno. Good luck! Almost there.

Thanks, i really need it..we had excellent ground in the first place, but didn't work..even for delayed so long also tell me no big deal, late a feel weeks will won't die, don't be so calculative.. :curse:

i was just wondering if this is the norm i.e. a lot of carpenter provide such work, or that i'm making a big fuss over such edges..

anyone has any idea if it's possible to somehow rectify this without dismantling the whole thing? i can't imagine making them redo and chase them for many more weeks.. :bangwall:

My carpentry is good if I compare to yours. Never really thought about it cos I took what my contractor did as the norm. Guess I shd appreciate his work more... =P

For touch ups I saw liquid paper in my carpenters toolbox. But my carpentry are mostly white. I know there is a wax like a soft crayon that comes in different shades of brown and is meant for patching up. That could work?

Edit: something like this? http://www.andycraft.com.au/repaircrayons

Not sure where to buy from in sg tho.

Edited by adidaem

my bed dun wan face door and window, so only left one position! far i like king sized bed..and prefer to have more space in bedroom not scared knock into things (i very clumsy esp in morning kun busy ki)..so juz put one bed in the room can le..

really?? but this hole is in the gaps between my wooden plank..it may be quite difficult to reach into it..otherwise later not careful my white planks kana also how.. :unsure:

is this the norm? as in every carpenter is like that?

i don't know how much is too much..and because it's relative, abit hard..i can imagine MIL telling me not to be so calculative, small thing only won't die.. ;) and ar, we waited 7 weeks since we requested for measurements! want to rectify don't know need how long more.. :o

I remember the filling up was very simple, but better to just ask the carpenter how. Yes, agree really not acceptable. Particularly the worksmanship of your bookshelves as shown in your close up shots. must be very frustrating for you. Must withhold the payment to make them quickly rectify the problems.