Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
theitsybits

Love Nest @ Casa

Oh ya... looking at my laminates more closely, all the edges are straight, not jagged. It looks like your carpenter has really bad cutters or shaky hands. And no funny holes or exposed bits. Even tho the internal parts were not laminated, it was all covered with... not sure what. Never asked. :bleah: Some smooth white surface.

Like I said, I never really paid much attention to my carpentry. It arrived, was installed (fairly quickly I must add) and looked ok. Only remember my IDs commenting that the workmanship on my console was really good.

Feel quite sorry for you. Hubby has to make a stand lor. His mum, his problem so he must handle and not put you on the spot! 8|

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hey, I'm looking for a cheap easy pull down laundry hanging thing..

Where did you get your clothes rack from and how much was it?

I'm not sure if you have any experience with it yet but can you share your decision process and why did you choose this one?

Thank you. :)

hi there, just want to confirm if you have hacked your toilet door frame? does it effect to the waterproofing? wanted to change my toilet door frame as well but some say can, some say cannot =/ mafan~

thanks!

Day 73

Went down after work, but to my dismay, carpenter didn't come today and nothing was done.

I've arranged for lights and fans to be delivered and installed on Friday, and husband called carpenter to confirm that he can finish tomorrow..

Solid top still no news after measurement on Friday. Carpenter said 3 days after measurement, and it's 3 full days tomorrow. No clue when they are going to come install..super slow these people..! after kitchen ready for solid top, takes one whole week before coming down for measurements!! At this rate, it's impossible for them to ever finish one whole renovation job within 6 weeks right? :furious:

I spent the evening sweeping the floor and cleaning up the place..and we found that the workmanship for my bookshelves was pretty bad.. :bangwall: i suppose can't be changed unless they change whole thing?

7788507490_4426a37b8b_z.jpg

7788561776_c181cdfff9_z.jpg

7788545444_f839c02667_z.jpg

This is not normal right?? 8|

There are also a lot of holes inside the carpentry, can someone advise if this is normal?

7788530630_2351c5bfb6_z.jpg

And my shoe cabinet was not supposed to have backing, but it came with backing and they were trying to rip apart the staples.. :o i suppose there will be many many holes and they won't mend back the hole since they will not be seen after installation..

7788518266_f21c6d85c1_z.jpg

And got 2 big holes in between the gaps of my feature wall.. :bangwall:

*sigh..the rest of the carpentry isn't that bad although not perfect either..so much for having the best carpenter and internal laminates that are supposed to last forever..i guess he's just not that particular about these details which differentiate good workmanship and not-so-good workmanship..will bring my dslr and macro lens to take some clearer pictures this Friday..

gonna let the husband do what he deems fit and maintain my silence..got it bad enough the last time.. :help:

see your stuffs done by your carpenter also angry. hope that you still have not made any payment yet, advise you to hold the payment as long till they have done a satisfied job.

Edited by lady081980

My carpentry is good if I compare to yours. Never really thought about it cos I took what my contractor did as the norm. Guess I shd appreciate his work more... =P

For touch ups I saw liquid paper in my carpenters toolbox. But my carpentry are mostly white. I know there is a wax like a soft crayon that comes in different shades of brown and is meant for patching up. That could work?

Edit: something like this? http://www.andycraft.com.au/repaircrayons

Not sure where to buy from in sg tho.

I remember the filling up was very simple, but better to just ask the carpenter how. Yes, agree really not acceptable. Particularly the worksmanship of your bookshelves as shown in your close up shots. must be very frustrating for you. Must withhold the payment to make them quickly rectify the problems.

Oh ya... looking at my laminates more closely, all the edges are straight, not jagged. It looks like your carpenter has really bad cutters or shaky hands. And no funny holes or exposed bits. Even tho the internal parts were not laminated, it was all covered with... not sure what. Never asked. :bleah: Some smooth white surface.

Like I said, I never really paid much attention to my carpentry. It arrived, was installed (fairly quickly I must add) and looked ok. Only remember my IDs commenting that the workmanship on my console was really good.

Feel quite sorry for you. Hubby has to make a stand lor. His mum, his problem so he must handle and not put you on the spot! 8|

Sorry for saying this, based on the photos shown, the carpentry workmanship was not up to mark.

see your stuffs done by your carpenter also angry. hope that you still have not made any payment yet, advise you to hold the payment as long till they have done a satisfied job.

sigh, workmanship wise, I really do not have the energy to insist..and i really can't take any more chasing and waiting..it's really very draining and frustrating..the last clash with them was horrible..and their attitude is basically not happy, the most redo, you wait lor..plus no guarantee will be better =_="

there's no way to rectify the uneven laminate edges now, unless you dismantle them and redo the whole thing..using a crayon would only make it look slightly better visually..and there are holes which are everywhere, even if you fill it up with whatever it's still a hole without laminates..

MIL insisted that we use them because of internal laminates which is supposed to be more durable etc..but with such holes throughout the carpentry and such workmanship, i'm not sure how it will affect the wood inside and durability.. will the wood cause moisture into the wood? i.e. is wood covered with PVC or polygon better than laminated wood with lots of holes? and this is supposed to be their best carpenter :bangwall:

hi there, just want to confirm if you have hacked your toilet door frame? does it effect to the waterproofing? wanted to change my toilet door frame as well but some say can, some say cannot =/ mafan~

thanks!

i think it's better not to hack your door frame, incase if affects waterproofing it'll be alot of trouble..and it definitely will since door frame goes all the way to the toilet floor..

why do you want to hack your door frame? just to change the door or to shift it?

i did not change door frame..the doors were screwed on top..

Day 73

Went down after work, but to my dismay, carpenter didn't come today and nothing was done.

I've arranged for lights and fans to be delivered and installed on Friday, and husband called carpenter to confirm that he can finish tomorrow..

Solid top still no news after measurement on Friday. Carpenter said 3 days after measurement, and it's 3 full days tomorrow. No clue when they are going to come install..super slow these people..! after kitchen ready for solid top, takes one whole week before coming down for measurements!! At this rate, it's impossible for them to ever finish one whole renovation job within 6 weeks right? :furious:

I spent the evening sweeping the floor and cleaning up the place..and we found that the workmanship for my bookshelves was pretty bad.. :bangwall: i suppose can't be changed unless they change whole thing?

7788507490_4426a37b8b_z.jpg

7788561776_c181cdfff9_z.jpg

7788545444_f839c02667_z.jpg

This is not normal right?? 8|

There are also a lot of holes inside the carpentry, can someone advise if this is normal?

7788530630_2351c5bfb6_z.jpg

And my shoe cabinet was not supposed to have backing, but it came with backing and they were trying to rip apart the staples.. :o i suppose there will be many many holes and they won't mend back the hole since they will not be seen after installation..

7788518266_f21c6d85c1_z.jpg

And got 2 big holes in between the gaps of my feature wall.. :bangwall:

*sigh..the rest of the carpentry isn't that bad although not perfect either..so much for having the best carpenter and internal laminates that are supposed to last forever..i guess he's just not that particular about these details which differentiate good workmanship and not-so-good workmanship..will bring my dslr and macro lens to take some clearer pictures this Friday..

gonna let the husband do what he deems fit and maintain my silence..got it bad enough the last time.. :help:

That's really bad workmanship. When I saw your bookcase, I thot it look fantastic. Then when u showed CU photos, it's really spoil the overall look. Feels bad for u. I hope these bad finishings are the upper and lower shelves with doors so at least it can hide these from plain sight?

Hi itsybits,

Sorry to see and hear bat the ordeal u face on yr carpentry..

They seemed to be a lil too careless and didn't mind the small details..

Now seems that e only thing you can do it leave it to yr hubby to sort it out..

That's really bad workmanship. When I saw your bookcase, I thot it look fantastic. Then when u showed CU photos, it's really spoil the overall look. Feels bad for u. I hope these bad finishings are the upper and lower shelves with doors so at least it can hide these from plain sight?

no!! the worst ones are the open shelving that are just below eye level........! :bangwall:

Hi itsybits,

Sorry to see and hear bat the ordeal u face on yr carpentry..

They seemed to be a lil too careless and didn't mind the small details..

Now seems that e only thing you can do it leave it to yr hubby to sort it out..

sigh yea..let him settle..otherwise just have to live with it ba..

I'm also having similar carpentry problems, so I understand ur situation.

Their attitude is cannot see one, so never mind lor.

Really felt like asking them if they can accept it if their house like holey cheese but we cover everything visible with very nice laminate.

if possible, Dun pay the balance if they dun rectify or touch up.

I agree with fellow forumers, don't pay them until they rectify..

Seriously, to put it bluntly, it's you and your hubby who will be staying in the house for long term, not your mil..

If you pay for such sloppy work, next time spoil then you need to pay again to repair or rebuilt..

If they refuse to rectify, ask them to take all back and bring your business elsewhere, in fact, if it were me, if after their rectify, and still got this problem, i will still ask them to take back and go elsewhere with my money..

Seriously, if relative then they think they can pull this kinda of stunt on you, then you don't need to give them face..

Although that means you have to wait longer for your reno completion, but at least you don't have to keep regretting and looking at those eye sores..

if it was my mil, i will ask her, will she be willing to pay for this kinda of carpentry? if she say yes, then i'll tell her "you pay lor"..

though i will do this because my mil oso 1 kind 1 and i know my hubby will definitely stand behind me if it comes to it, also, i know their family for 8yrs, i know she wun angry too long..

I see this kinda thing i also angry for you.. especially relatives sommore :furious:

Edited by AlisaWu

I'm also having similar carpentry problems, so I understand ur situation.

Their attitude is cannot see one, so never mind lor.

Really felt like asking them if they can accept it if their house like holey cheese but we cover everything visible with very nice laminate.

if possible, Dun pay the balance if they dun rectify or touch up.

i saw your pictures, very horrible too! :(

we will get them to come down see what they say lor..i don't have high hopes..my edges the most only touch up with crayon look nicer visually but it's still a gap between both laminates..unless dismantle and change whole thing but i really can't take their nonsense anymore..who knows MIL will ask me not to be so calculative, such small issues also won't die.. :help:

I agree with fellow forumers, don't pay them until they rectify..

Seriously, to put it bluntly, it's you and your hubby who will be staying in the house for long term, not your mil..

If you pay for such sloppy work, next time spoil then you need to pay again to repair or rebuilt..

If they refuse to rectify, ask them to take all back and bring your business elsewhere, in fact, if it were me, if after their rectify, and still got this problem, i will still ask them to take back and go elsewhere with my money..

Seriously, if relative then they think they can pull this kinda of stunt on you, then you don't need to give them face..

Although that means you have to wait longer for your reno completion, but at least you don't have to keep regretting and looking at those eye sores..

if it was my mil, i will ask her, will she be willing to pay for this kinda of carpentry? if she say yes, then i'll tell her "you pay lor"..

though i will do this because my mil oso 1 kind 1 and i know my hubby will definitely stand behind me if it comes to it, also, i know their family for 8yrs, i know she wun angry too long..

I see this kinda thing i also angry for you.. especially relatives sommore :furious:

we haven't paid them yet..but they took 7 weeks to deliver these, i really cannot tahan a few more weeks and chase them..reno already 3 months le..and my contractor super efficient come in and paint, plus fixing lights tomorrow..if carpentry dismantle and redo, poor Mr K can't finish up my job and take the last 5% plus must repaint again.. :o

let's just say that my MIL is...different..already a lot of problems le..and i can't take all the screaming anymore.. :(

ay, husband settle..i keep quiet suck thumb. :bow:

Day 74

i really miss working with Mr K..i told him to arrange for electrical guys to come down on Friday since carpentry is almost completed..he got the painter down and they painted the whole house including my doors and blackboard bomb shelter door today! Even painted my yellowish pendant light I got from Taobao..he's super on the ball..text him and he replies or calls back shortly..plus i will always know what is being done every single day..

carpentry is 95% done..they were fixing the final drawers for kitchen when we left in the evening..but he still needs to adjust the height of some shelves and do some rectifications..not even sure if he's coming tomorrow to finish it up since it's quite impossible to finish them tonight..

7795276390_28efb40b87_z.jpg

This is how the living room look like now..my shoe cabinet is up..and the wider planks look so much better..the wooden border made with plywood is pretty horrible, both sides weren't sanded properly even though I told him before installation..i've seen paloma's border or plywood features, but they were totally smooth to the touch while mine is really really rough.. 8| i'm really going to make them sand it till it's smooth..and no news of my solid top yet..one whole week already.. :furious:

7795282676_1508d925d7_z.jpg

Full height shoe cabinet..but i've decided to only put shoes in the lower shelves! will explain that in another post..

7795285268_966132a707_z.jpg

My makeup area when closed to hide the mirror.

7795287316_7d6270b61a_z.jpg

And the pretty dining light that Mr K painted for me! :thumbs up: so shiny and white now..

my haiku fan and lights will be installed tomorrow!! :sport-smiley-004: will go down with my dslr to take nicer pictures.. :yamseng:

Edited by theitsybits

let's just say that my MIL is...different..already a lot of problems le..and i can't take all the screaming anymore.. :(

You know, my experience with bullies and loud screamers is that they NEVER touch people who cannot be bullied. Much harder to handle if it's your MIL tho. My sympathies.

Height of shoe cabinets and Fengshui.

A neighbour came to visit my place and pointed out that it was very bad fengshui to have a full-height shoe-cabinet. To be specific, it's bad fenshui to place shoes above your head. I honestly had no clue, which got me to do some searches in regards to this. I'm not particularly very superstitious, but I suppose when it comes to Fengshui, it's better to avoid outright negative things for the home!

Did a quick search and realized that shoes represent bad energy!

In summary:

- Shoe cabinets should not be black or red.

- Shoes should preferably only be placed up to 1/3 of the house's height, and up to 2/3 of the house's height.

- Shoe cabinets should be closed, so that bad energy can be kept inside.

- Shoes should face head-in, otherwise bad energy will be directed at you whenever you open the cabinet door.

- Shoe cabinets should be on the left of your door and near the entrance as the right side is considered auspicious.

- Avoid placing the shoe cabinet outside the house as it blocks good energy from coming in.

- It's best to have 5 tiers for the shoe cabinet as it represents the five elements.

- Wooden rectangle shoe cabinets are suitable for everyone.

- Do not place a mirror facing a door, including shoe cabinets with reflective surfaces.

Some links:

http://pinkytoky.hubpages.com/hub/shoe-rack-and-its-effect-on-feng-shui

http://vj0516.blogspot.hk/