Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
theitsybits

Love Nest @ Casa

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Day 89

Husband had another clash with the relative today. They complained that we were 'fussy' and pushed all the blame to us, started nit-picking on our contractor's workmanship instead.. :curse:

The factory manager assigned to handle our rectification came on Wednesday evening. We showed him all the parts which needed rectification and he committed to a 5th Sept (Wednesday) deadline to complete all rectifications. He was supposed to bring the carpenter over on Friday to brief them so that the can prepare the necessary. They did not seemed to have come on Friday and the husband tried to call both factory manager and relative. No answer. Called the carpenter direct, and carpenter said he was not told anything at all. Factory manager will only be back on Monday. Nothing has been done since Wednesday evening and our backsplash is still not measured after many weeks. Husband had to call MIL to complain before relative was willing to come down today.

Basically, they are complaining that we are fussy, that no carpenter is perfect and such work such as chipped laminates are the norm..I did not want to be present, since I can anticipate that I will be really pissed off..didn't want to be attacked again..

They will get the carpenter to rectify again tomorrow, but I'm really not sure how it's going to be done since nobody seems to be monitoring or telling the workers what to be done exactly..our drawers were dropping out, and after rectification they are now hitting each other..neighbors who have visited my place commented that my drawers are very wobbly and flimsy..none of their places have drawers like mine..there are so many chipped laminates and holes everywhere, and it's not even clear that they will change anything..

7907070646_73fe5c9a21_z.jpg

Husband is particular about this carpentry box-up of the pipes as it was really done very badly and the insides are a mess exposed plywood everywhere..pipes generally have more moisture and with such exposed plywood everywhere, it's really prone to rotting..again, none of our neighbors who boxed up pipes similarly had such issues..it's obviously bad workmanship since carpenter said he was not told to box-up the pipes using carpentry..relative did not inform him..many of the issues was due to lack of communication between the relative and the carpenter as many of our needs were not told..

This is probably the first time in the past 8 years that I've ever heard the husband use a hokkien vulgar word..they are like pythons, eat the prey finish, pocket money then sit there don't move, never get things done.. :furious: at the end of the day, they are really businessmen trying to make money..i don't believe this should be the way, and hopefully the upcoming lemon law can help consumers to deal with horrible ID firms like this..

I honestly wonder how do these people sleep or find happiness, given all these horrible things they have done? How does the MIL feel after promising all that good workmanship and carpentry that lasts forever seeing the bad workmanship and horrible attitude/delays we are getting now?

I knew it would turn out like this, and at the end of the day they will not redo any piece of the carpentry even if we chased them and insisted on it..and what can we do? he'll simply challenge us to sue him, bring him to court.. *sigh*

I'm going to pray that they get what they deserve, what comes around will go around..

Edited by theitsybits

So sorry that your carpentry turned out to be the curve ball throughout what was otherwise a rather smooth renovation process. I too, am fearing the day that the carpentry arrives.

I know this might sound a ridiculous (but you might probably see my point) - rather than living with the mess created by those imbeciles, have you thought of terminating your relatives contract by not paying the outstanding and getting K to re-do your carpentry salvaging whatever is still use-able - say just the kitchen only (i.e. paste new laminates, install Blum hinges etc...)

Day 89

Husband had another clash with the relative today. They complained that we were 'fussy' and pushed all the blame to us, started nit-picking on our contractor's workmanship instead.. :curse:

The factory manager assigned to handle our rectification came on Wednesday evening. We showed him all the parts which needed rectification and he committed to a 5th Sept (Wednesday) deadline to complete all rectifications. He was supposed to bring the carpenter over on Friday to brief them so that the can prepare the necessary. They did not seemed to have come on Friday and the husband tried to call both factory manager and relative. No answer. Called the carpenter direct, and carpenter said he was not told anything at all. Factory manager will only be back on Monday. Nothing has been done since Wednesday evening and our backsplash is still not measured after many weeks. Husband had to call MIL to complain before relative was willing to come down today.

Basically, they are complaining that we are fussy, that no carpenter is perfect and such work such as chipped laminates are the norm..I did not want to be present, since I can anticipate that I will be really pissed off..didn't want to be attacked again..

They will get the carpenter to rectify again tomorrow, but I'm really not sure how it's going to be done since nobody seems to be monitoring or telling the workers what to be done exactly..our drawers were dropping out, and after rectification they are now hitting each other..neighbors who have visited my place commented that my drawers are very wobbly and flimsy..none of their places have drawers like mine..there are so many chipped laminates and holes everywhere, and it's not even clear that they will change anything..

7907070646_73fe5c9a21_z.jpg

Husband is particular about this carpentry box-up of the pipes as it was really done very badly and the insides are a mess exposed plywood everywhere..pipes generally have more moisture and with such exposed plywood everywhere, it's really prone to rotting..again, none of our neighbors who boxed up pipes similarly had such issues..it's obviously bad workmanship since carpenter said he was not told to box-up the pipes using carpentry..relative did not inform him..many of the issues was due to lack of communication between the relative and the carpenter as many of our needs were not told..

This is probably the first time in the past 8 years that I've ever heard the husband use a hokkien vulgar word..they are like pythons, eat the prey finish, pocket money then sit there don't move, never get things done.. :furious: at the end of the day, they are really businessmen trying to make money..i don't believe this should be the way, and hopefully the upcoming lemon law can help consumers to deal with horrible ID firms like this..

I honestly wonder how do these people sleep or find happiness, given all these horrible things they have done? How does the MIL feel after promising all that good workmanship and carpentry that lasts forever seeing the bad workmanship and horrible attitude/delays we are getting now?

I knew it would turn out like this, and at the end of the day they will not redo any piece of the carpentry even if we chased them and insisted on it..and what can we do? he'll simply challenge us to sue him, bring him to court.. *sigh*

I'm going to pray that they get what they deserve, what comes around will go around..

So sorry that your carpentry turned out to be the curve ball throughout what was otherwise a rather smooth renovation process. I too, am fearing the day that the carpentry arrives.

I know this might sound a ridiculous (but you might probably see my point) - rather than living with the mess created by those imbeciles, have you thought of terminating your relatives contract by not paying the outstanding and getting K to re-do your carpentry salvaging whatever is still use-able - say just the kitchen only (i.e. paste new laminates, install Blum hinges etc...)

yea..but it's not often that people get such serious carpentry issues with bad attitude..as long as they are cosmetic and ID is willing to coordinate for rectification it's not that bad..we're coordinating ourselves and chasing factory manager, carpenter and relative..all refuse to even answer phone..

i have thought about it seriously..but budget is a constraint and i can only imagine how bad my MIL will take it and it's going to be world war three all over again..when we had so many reasons not to use him, my MIL hounded us, from persuasion to emotional blackmail..in short, not possible.. :help:

we just have to make them rectify whatever possible and perhaps save up to get it done again a few years down the road.. :bleah:

hi itsy,

i really like ur house design a lot.. it's the house that i would wan to have, but do not dare to have (i'm kind of a worry pot - worry about white laminate/ open kitchen/ bricks being difficult to clean + my hubby likes modern contemp, which means no scandi themes.. ) but ur house is really really beautiful *thumbs up*

i was tracking ur t-blog up till the stage where u posted ur kitchen images (love it!) and the next post sent me into shock.. just reading the ordeal u are going through makes me feel upset for u =( just wan to encourage u here.. although there are imperfections in the house carpentry, but the ideas and effort that was put into the designing and creation of this house is really admirable - and ur house is gorgeous (wish this was mine hahaha)! i believe all of us here at renotalk are cheering u on >.<

have u settled everything with the carpenter yet? and as for ur MIL - it is really sad that she doesn't support the two of u when ur carpenter relative is obviously in the wrong.. perhaps she is also stressed by her own relatives to side them instead of u guys?

dun be too stress le.. stress is not good for health and beauty.. jiayou!! hope u will start to feel better..

anyway, just a side comment.. maybe u could ask K to give a 'friendship' price since u have done other works with him and rectify the problems (whatever he can rectify) in carpentry that you have? although it means u have to part with $$, but at least u wun b upset everytime u open the drawer..? or maybe u could set a budget and get K to see what he can do..? curiously, u mean ur MIL will get upset even if u get K to come in to touch up ar? o.o

rooting for u,

sarah

Edited by princessandhergeek

hi itsy,

i really like ur house design a lot.. it's the house that i would wan to have, but do not dare to have (i'm kind of a worry pot - worry about white laminate/ open kitchen/ bricks being difficult to clean + my hubby likes modern contemp, which means no scandi themes.. ) but ur house is really really beautiful *thumbs up*

i was tracking ur t-blog up till the stage where u posted ur kitchen images (love it!) and the next post sent me into shock.. just reading the ordeal u are going through makes me feel upset for u =( just wan to encourage u here.. although there are imperfections in the house carpentry, but the ideas and effort that was put into the designing and creation of this house is really admirable - and ur house is gorgeous (wish this was mine hahaha)! i believe all of us here at renotalk are cheering u on >.<

have u settled everything with the carpenter yet? and as for ur MIL - it is really sad that she doesn't support the two of u when ur carpenter relative is obviously in the wrong.. perhaps she is also stressed by her own relatives to side them instead of u guys?

dun be too stress le.. stress is not good for health and beauty.. jiayou!! hope u will start to feel better..

anyway, just a side comment.. maybe u could ask K to give a 'friendship' price since u have done other works with him and rectify the problems (whatever he can rectify) in carpentry that you have? although it means u have to part with $$, but at least u wun b upset everytime u open the drawer..? or maybe u could set a budget and get K to see what he can do..? curiously, u mean ur MIL will get upset even if u get K to come in to touch up ar? o.o

rooting for u,

sarah

thanks sarah, that's really nice of you..

and yes, my place might be 'higher maintenance' but i'd rather it looks beautiful for a few years than not-so-beautiful for many years..i guess if you really love your home you will put in the effort to upkeep it..everything beautiful needs some work (especially women =p)..

having said that, white laminates have their supporters since you will clean any dirt immediately. bricks can be simply dusted regularly with feather duster..and open kitchen is not much of an issue for me since i cook with very little oil and don't deep fry at home..nothing a good hood can't do..at the end of the day, just need to be comfortable and happy in it.. :P

carpentry issue not settled yet..i'm struggling to make sense of things too..mil insisted we use relative, insisting that his carpentry had good with internal laminates, promised to oversee things for us and all..she said she wanted the best for her son..but when delays occurred, when workmanship was so bad, we were blamed for being 'fussy' among many other things when it's obvious that they did a very bad job. bad workmanship aside, many other specifications were wrong and we have to live with it..in the end mil even insisted that we pay first before they do rectifications.. :curse:

i don't feel good abt getting K to do rectifications and husband insist that relative should be responsible..mil and relative have been nit-picking on K's work when we pointed out their horrible workmanship..they are saying that my contractor is LAZY..between K and us, everything was communicated quite clearly and he did point out how things will be done and if there might be issues before going ahead..so we really have no issues with his work even when it might be at 95% instead of 100%..

payment will be an issue and another hard battle..since some 'discounts' and 'rebates' were promised by mil verbally..it's anyone guess how things will end up.. :bow::help:

Hopefully your renovation (and everyone else) go smoothly! =)

Day 90

Husband argued with mil again. Mil insisted that we were very fussy, that after multiple rectifications, we are still not satisfied..and practically said that they are not going to do rectifications till we pay as we are so fussy that we will never be satisfied and will never pay..she even said that it's unreasonable to expect that all edges are perfect and kitchen carpentry flushed..it's ridiculous..even threatened to get people to dismantle all carpentry work.. :jawdrop:

The most funny thing is, while he was really angry, he was also almost sure that the people in the company do not talk and the workers must be still unaware. Husband liaised with the factory manager and carpenter direct, they came down to do some rectifications on Monday. When i arrived, although drawers were no longer hitting each other, it was very stiff and had a squeaking sound..i got them to adjust it and they finally put in more effort and actually managed to make it smooth, flushed and aligned..it is indeed possible! perhaps they are finally afraid after so many rounds of rectifications.. :unsure:

Backsplash people supposed to come today but was nowhere in sight and carpenters said they did not see anyone.. :dunno:

The worst thing is, as I was wiping my toilet vanity, it suddenly hit me that it does not look like granite. i just visited our neighbors place during the weekend and commented that their granite looked so much nicer..we have specified we wanted granite at all discussions and it was on contract..they installed everything and I never suspected that my toilet's vanity was solid top instead of granite.. :furious: the more i looked at it, the more it looked like my white solid top with slivery glitters..

Day 91

On Tuesday, they came again and filled up the gaps between my wooded border and supposedly the holes and edges..but only the wooden border was done..i was really weary and ready to close one eye forget about it..i might as well get some paint and do it myself instead of making them come again and again without finishing everything..

I checked with K, asked him what was my toilet vanity made of. He said solid top. I got my neighbors to come see, it was definitely solid top! :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall:

It's quite impossible to change it now and we risk damaging the walls and plumbing/carpentry..i can't believe he actually cheated us! :curse: and i wouldn't have suspected if i didn't see others' granite..i suppose it was obvious, but i just didn't notice it..

Day 92

Factory manager suddenly called husband up, telling him that they would come back to touch-up the edges the next day.. :jawdrop: The most shocking thing ever. The relative or any of his workers have never ever contacted us, we were always chasing them while they hardly picked up phones nor replied messages/emails.

Husband also asked what was used for our toilet vanity, and factory manager confirmed that it was solid top..he said he will check contract for us since he was never in the picture till rectifications stage..they have to either give us a discount or change it for us..! ;)

they never fail to amaze me..it's becoming incredibly amusing by now..how can such things happen?? :bow::help:

Week 13 (Day 89)

The house is ready, despite the carpentry's imperfections. Whatever it is, we are moving on and ready for our new journey..

7937118506_8794a01665_z.jpg

View from entrance.

7937109776_d739e7a1bc_z.jpg

Dining area.

7937112276_fc7ac45263_z.jpg

Feature wall.

7937115032_44011eafab_z.jpg

View from bay window.

7937128112_5ccfb00ab5_z.jpg

Corridor with blackboard door.

Day 90

Husband argued with mil again. Mil insisted that we were very fussy, that after multiple rectifications, we are still not satisfied..and practically said that they are not going to do rectifications till we pay as we are so fussy that we will never be satisfied and will never pay..she even said that it's unreasonable to expect that all edges are perfect and kitchen carpentry flushed..it's ridiculous..even threatened to get people to dismantle all carpentry work.. :jawdrop:

The most funny thing is, while he was really angry, he was also almost sure that the people in the company do not talk and the workers must be still unaware. Husband liaised with the factory manager and carpenter direct, they came down to do some rectifications on Monday. When i arrived, although drawers were no longer hitting each other, it was very stiff and had a squeaking sound..i got them to adjust it and they finally put in more effort and actually managed to make it smooth, flushed and aligned..it is indeed possible! perhaps they are finally afraid after so many rounds of rectifications.. :unsure:

Backsplash people supposed to come today but was nowhere in sight and carpenters said they did not see anyone.. :dunno:

The worst thing is, as I was wiping my toilet vanity, it suddenly hit me that it does not look like granite. i just visited our neighbors place during the weekend and commented that their granite looked so much nicer..we have specified we wanted granite at all discussions and it was on contract..they installed everything and I never suspected that my toilet's vanity was solid top instead of granite.. :furious: the more i looked at it, the more it looked like my white solid top with slivery glitters..

Day 91

On Tuesday, they came again and filled up the gaps between my wooded border and supposedly the holes and edges..but only the wooden border was done..i was really weary and ready to close one eye forget about it..i might as well get some paint and do it myself instead of making them come again and again without finishing everything..

I checked with K, asked him what was my toilet vanity made of. He said solid top. I got my neighbors to come see, it was definitely solid top! :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall:

It's quite impossible to change it now and we risk damaging the walls and plumbing/carpentry..i can't believe he actually cheated us! :curse: and i wouldn't have suspected if i didn't see others' granite..i suppose it was obvious, but i just didn't notice it..

Day 92

Factory manager suddenly called husband up, telling him that they would come back to touch-up the edges the next day.. :jawdrop: The most shocking thing ever. The relative or any of his workers have never ever contacted us, we were always chasing them while they hardly picked up phones nor replied messages/emails.

Husband also asked what was used for our toilet vanity, and factory manager confirmed that it was solid top..he said he will check contract for us since he was never in the picture till rectifications stage..they have to either give us a discount or change it for us..! ;)

they never fail to amaze me..it's becoming incredibly amusing by now..how can such things happen?? :bow::help:

Granite and solid price differs a lot! Omg! They not only need to give u disc, I think a big disc for cheating u and causing u now that u can't have solid top.. I saw yr vanity.. Doesn't look like granite .. Hmmm ... That's crazy

Granite and solid price differs a lot! Omg! They not only need to give u disc, I think a big disc for cheating u and causing u now that u can't have granite top.. I saw yr vanity.. Doesn't look like granite .. Hmmm ... That's crazy

I mean granite.

Week 13 (Day 89)

7937130890_35ff7f990b_z.jpg

Guest/kids room.

7937133534_99981891e8_z.jpg

Study room.

7937147038_ce45a2e1dc_z.jpg

And i found a study table that i like when I went to Commune to pay the remaining for my dining table and sideboard! the top is similar to our canteen bench planks, and i've been looking for legs like this..i think i'm going to get it..it can be used as a dining table too.. :good: it cost $599, and Commune is at Millennia Walk..they have expanded recently!

7937145728_b27834d2e1_z.jpg

And I saw this sofa that looks exactly like the one I got from Star Living, just different color. This one cost $2199 if I remember correctly..

7425801480_f530c14fb4_z.jpg

This is the one I got from Star Living (Furniture Mall) for $990. More than half price and looks really similar..don't feel different either..mine has removable covers, not sure about Commune's.

But if anyone is looking for such sofa, please go to Star Living instead. They have it in grey and brown.

Our dining table, sofa, sideboard, bench, chairs, mattress, washing machine and fridge will arrive this weekend!

All set. I'm really excited. :dancingqueen:

Edited by theitsybits

Granite and solid price differs a lot! Omg! They not only need to give u disc, I think a big disc for cheating u and causing u now that u can't have solid top.. I saw yr vanity.. Doesn't look like granite .. Hmmm ... That's crazy

yea i know! but for some reason, did not notice..i guess carpentry took away all the attention.. :unsure:

Granite and solid top not much different. In fact, better quality solid top like LG is more ex than Indian granite.