Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
franciz

My Em In The West

Welcome to T-blog, great to hear another EM renovator to share. The toilet ceiling looks terrible, is it leaking from upstair??

Hi jshome, the toilet ceiling is mouldy due to accumulated mist over time. Need to install exhaust fan to solve this issue.

I am widening my main door, current size is only 80cm, planning to widen to 110cm. still pending approval from HDB. Let you know when it is approve.

Have been following your blog. Judging from your floor plan, you have a recess area along the common corridor before entering your front door. Unlike mine, the front door is just along the corridor. Therefore, my chances is equal to zero.

Edited by franciz

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

If the moulds is in the 2nd level toilet's ceiling, then have to ask the unit above to do good to their lower level flooring.

If the mould is in the 1st level toilet's ceiling, then during the renovation process as to get the contractor to do water proofing procedure on the 2nd level flooring.

Mine happen to be in the kitchen ceiling which directly above is the 2nd toilets which has since done up the water proofing process during the renovation.

Hi jshome, the toilet ceiling is mouldy due to accumulated mist over time. Need to install exhaust fan to solve this issue.

Have been following your blog. Judging from your floor plan, you have a recess area along the common corridor before entering your front door. Unlike mine, the front door is just along the corridor. Therefore, my chances is equal to zero.

Mouldy due to mist or water leaking upstair? If really due to mist then i seriously must consider installing fan leh!

Can try to appeal loh, say for fire safety reason, door bigger can escape faster!

If the moulds is in the 2nd level toilet's ceiling, then have to ask the unit above to do good to their lower level flooring.

If the mould is in the 1st level toilet's ceiling, then during the renovation process as to get the contractor to do water proofing procedure on the 2nd level flooring.

Mine happen to be in the kitchen ceiling which directly above is the 2nd toilets which has since done up the water proofing process during the renovation.

Hi Exman, the moulds for my case is in mbr toilet at lvl 2, its probably due to mists as suggested by both hdb inspector as well as my ID.

Mouldy due to mist or water leaking upstair? If really due to mist then i seriously must consider installing fan leh!

Can try to appeal loh, say for fire safety reason, door bigger can escape faster!

Hi jshome, u should consult yr ID/Contractor rgdg this. Due to the ventilation of mbr toilet (existing toilet window cant open), & sunlight canot come in, exhaust fan is a must for me. Dont knw if dehumidifier works as well?

For the maindoor, I will take some pictures to show u guys. Hope some expert can help :)

Ya why your window cannot open? My Lady ID suggest change the window to those one piece window type which can open very big then no need fan leh.. Not sure if its good enough to dry up the toulet.

Why can't the MBR toilet window be opened?

Ya why your window cannot open? My Lady ID suggest change the window to those one piece window type which can open very big then no need fan leh.. Not sure if its good enough to dry up the toulet.

My current windows for both toilets looks like the picture below except that they are fixed panels & cannot open.

dsc7402u.jpg

I am contemplating to use cove lights ( 4ft T5's) by installing L-Box all over my level 1 without installing any down lights. Is it bright enough, for example, reading the evening papers at the living area?

Hi Franciz, hope your reno is coming along nicely.

Looking at the mouldy mbr bathroom ceiling, I really really wish to believe the HDB inspector as well as your ID. But I hope you will spend some time to do a simple test. If the dark patches feel cool to touch or damp (try this in the evening when you think your upstairs neighbour might be showering), it is unlikely to be condensate from your bathroom. If you do not resolve this decisively before reno is complete or if you intend to have a false ceiling installed in this bathroom, you'll have a really tough time resolving it subsequently.

Cove lights are actually quite bright. Especially if you use white light instead of the yellowish warm white. There are no downlights at all in my EM. Only cove lights, floor lamp and pendant lamps.

=)

My current windows for both toilets looks like the picture below except that they are fixed panels & cannot open.

dsc7402u.jpg

Are those new windows? If not do change to those that can open and have bigger openings. My toilets are dry with the one piece window. Since the toilet is 'inside' the balcony area, most EM owners have no problems changing the toilet windows. Not being able to open toilet windows makes no sense... the smell, the heat, the humidity/water...

I am contemplating to use cove lights ( 4ft T5's) by installing L-Box all over my level 1 without installing any down lights. Is it bright enough, for example, reading the evening papers at the living area?

Yes would be bright enough. I use warm light for my cove lighting and it's bright.

Hi I had a mould problem as well and I engaged professionals to scan the place for water seepage as well as treat the mould. You may want to consider this if your problem is serious.

I agree with adidaem, better to make it openable.. Mould will starts to grow and not good for health.

Yes confirm bright enough.

Hi I had a mould problem as well and I engaged professionals to scan the place for water seepage as well as treat the mould. You may want to consider this if your problem is serious.

Good suggestion and you have reminded me, I think my home insurance cover expenses for tracing water seepage... I shall go and double check the contract. :sport-smiley-018:

Hi Franciz, hope your reno is coming along nicely.

Looking at the mouldy mbr bathroom ceiling, I really really wish to believe the HDB inspector as well as your ID. But I hope you will spend some time to do a simple test. If the dark patches feel cool to touch or damp (try this in the evening when you think your upstairs neighbour might be showering), it is unlikely to be condensate from your bathroom. If you do not resolve this decisively before reno is complete or if you intend to have a false ceiling installed in this bathroom, you'll have a really tough time resolving it subsequently.

Cove lights are actually quite bright. Especially if you use white light instead of the yellowish warm white. There are no downlights at all in my EM. Only cove lights, floor lamp and pendant lamps.

=)

Thks, will infm my ID first thing tmr morning.

Are those new windows? If not do change to those that can open and have bigger openings. My toilets are dry with the one piece window. Since the toilet is 'inside' the balcony area, most EM owners have no problems changing the toilet windows. Not being able to open toilet windows makes no sense... the smell, the heat, the humidity/water...

Those are not my windows, just for illustration purpose. Saw those one piece windows that can push out 45 degrees, intend to use those.

Yes would be bright enough. I use warm light for my cove lighting and it's bright.

Thk u :)

I agree with adidaem, better to make it openable.. Mould will starts to grow and not good for health.

Definitely !!!

Yes confirm bright enough.

Thks :)

Good suggestion and you have reminded me, I think my home insurance cover expenses for tracing water seepage... I shall go and double check the contract. :sport-smiley-018:

Does the home insurance cover this??