Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
dapliew

Our New Home

u all mega poisoned liow... :notti: :notti:

once in, hard to get out, end of day, it's part of the enjoyment! Enjoy the process!

yup his monster just arrive not burned in yet i believed.. scari right ..his room no need subwoofer my listening position also shaking that time when i was there....

his room surrounded by reasonators..thats y my jaws dropped mah..

yup, not burned in, he said 30 odd hours only. His listening position can feel the thump & punch! I though it was some decoration until I scanned through the surrounding, all covered. :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Hi, a newbie here. I have read a lot of t-blogs and reno sites and you are the only person that I know of that has hooked up with LAN ports in your new place. So I guess you would be the best person to ask about all these, and since you done your reno last year, should be very fresh in your mind... So I would appreciate if you would help with my queries in the pm that I would be sending soon.

Great read on your place.

Cool, thanks for your kind comment, will reply you in a bit, but will post here if you don't mind for others to read. Beneficial to potential home owners.

forced to get this today...

sighzz

1364639213.jpg

how much is the damage? 2 channels mono?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

It's a pre amp .... 2 set of RCA n xlr output for me Bi amp amp later.

Oh, nice! Must really visit your place 1 fine day to listen when yours burn in

Hello Alpc

As per message in your t-blog which I left a message about this pm. Don't mind me, but since I just selected my flat, I wanted to get more info and details so that when I do get my keys I would have something in place and knowing what I need for that.

Ans: No worries about it, just hit me here, will try with my best knowledge.

From your blog, it sounds like your unit is premium version which mean the flooring came with it but you hack it off. You also took the opportunity to add in your cat6 cable before they add in the tiles for your flooring. I wonder why did you decide on putting it beneath the flooring? Was it put into a casing or it was left bare in the cement?

Ans: Yes, it is premium flat but not good quality compared to my folks(also in Punggol) :furious: I don't liked the flooring came with because it was ceramic tiles! My folks were homogenous tiles. The feels were better!

So during my renovation, took the opportunity to hack them away. With that, can wired my place up with cat6 at ground level why not? Reason is simple, concealed under floor will shield off any interferes, All at ground, earth zone. If run through the ceilings are fine, but need to shield them up as I know, because of electrical wires for lighting & power points.

They were laid by my electrical contractor, all cat6 cables were slotted into hard round PVC pipes, linked to my patch panel located in my study room. I did posted a picture on my layout. Never leave them bare on ground, you can't replaces them when they are broken or in future to upgrade the cables to cat7.

Is it true that new BTO flats will comes with power pt/switches/tv/tel points already line up and concealed?!? What if you need more points or in this case, LAN points?

Ans: Yes, all will be concealed. Can do by left method, hack the side walls and add additional points you need, be it power/cable/telephone etc. for LAN points, at least 2 points if possible. I got 3 points in my living room. The rest 2 each.

Meantime I need to look deeper into your cabling plans which I just discovered!! LOL!

Ans: Feel free to read, I did patch panel before further routing my access via gigabit switch then to my various points in the house.

Oh did I mention that I realized my floor plan is 90% similar to yours except for the shelter placement - in my floor plan, it's in between the main door and kitchen! So my total area looks more boxy than yours.

Ans: nowadays the layout are pretty common, can popby my place if you are interested, if I gain sufficient audiences for a walk through. :yamseng:

Hi ongcs, can I seek your advice on home network too? My Opennet point and modem/router will be installed in db box area which is near my main door. Got a network contractor to set up LAN with a RJ45 point each in living room and study. I intend to use wireless only in living room. And for study, I hope to have both wired (connected to my laptop) and wireless (hope to use in mbr opposite). What device do you suggest I buy to set up the wireless? Is it a device known as Wireless access point? Thanks in advance!

Edited by bleucheeze

Hi ongcs, can I seek your advice on home network too? My Opennet point and modem/router will be installed in db box area which is near my main door. Got a network contractor to set up LAN with a RJ45 point each in living room and study. I intend to use wireless only in living room. And for study, I hope to have both wired (connected to my laptop) and wireless (hope to use in mbr opposite). What device do you suggest I buy to set up the wireless? Is it a device known as Wireless access point? Thanks in advance!

Hi Bleucheeze, most welcome to help you. Good to know that you had the intention to engage network contractor to fix up the wirings for you.

Back to your questions, buy a strong signal router & place the router in your study room. I presumed your study room & living room side by side & MBR opposite your study room.

Your intention of 1 point each in living room & study room was to link them up via wired access. If I had interpreted correctly.

Here you go on the route.

Open net point->fibre modem->cat6 cable connected to your living network port aka RJ45>>(your contractor will setup a LAN cable link from living room to study room)->study room network port aka RJ45>cat6 cable connected to your router->2 type of access to answer your needs(see below)

1) wired access

Connect your laptop to router ports

2) wireless access

Enable your wifi in your router

Now, why place it in study room. Centralise your wifi access, signal will be stronger near your intended wifi zone coverage. Your mobile devices, tablets, pads, smart phone will received better signal that way.

Do note that if possible, place your router as high as possible, never below your human height level. Reason being, at that level, you had placed pretty much blockage at that level, being your furniture & fittings, cabinets, chairs, table etc, they does affects the signal. The higher it is, the better signal it is.

Of cause, your wired connection to your laptop might be un-glam, for that you need to brainstorm. :sport-smiley-004:

Which brand of router to look at? Asus RT-AC66U if budget allows, I do remembered that if you signed up fibre plan, discount will be given, should set you back at $200 range. Official retailed price at $289.

Alternatively, Asus RT-N56U, it is pretty decent, discount should set you back at $100, retailed price at $159? If my memory served me right.

Feel free to hit me again :yamseng:

alternatively, u can do TP -> fibre modem (provided by ur fibre provider) -> router...you need a router before you can setup an access point, some routers can be configured to be either but not both...

if u want to do wireless mostly in living, then i would say put the router in the living room instead of the study which will have the wired connection...strength of signal to your mbr depends on how many walls ur router gotta go through - put in study may not give you best signal strength...different type of walls will behave differently...killers are fridges and that nice solid wall of the bomb shelter... :bleah:

u can consider doing powerline networking (aztech is good) or simply put a wireless repeater to boost the strength...wireless repeater best to get same brand as your main router but not impossible to do...

to test your signal strength and to see how the signal strength varies, use one of your mobile phones as an access point...then install this app, called wifi analyzer for android (sorry, i dun hv any apple devices, can't help you there)...connect to your AP and see how ur signal strength is like as you move through your house...then u know where to site your router and which channel you should set on for maximum signal strength...

wireless router, both asus models are good...my cisco ea4500 cost me $199 on a special deal from M1 when i signed up for my fibre plan....

So during my renovation, took the opportunity to hack them away. With that, can wired my place up with cat6 at ground level why not? Reason is simple, concealed under floor will shield off any interferes, All at ground, earth zone. If run through the ceilings are fine, but need to shield them up as I know, because of electrical wires for lighting & power points.

They were laid by my electrical contractor, all cat6 cables were slotted into hard round PVC pipes, linked to my patch panel located in my study room. I did posted a picture on my layout. Never leave them bare on ground, you can't replaces them when they are broken or in future to upgrade the cables to cat7.

Ok, forgot about the shielding part, so looks like via ground level is a good way to lay those cables. Your electrician is one hired by your ID I presume - They know what to do when you tell them you want to lay it this way? I have checked your cable layout, it looks pretty complicated with the turns (or was that only for the speaker cables? those in the pictures which showed some of the piping), so how do you replace/upgrade them in the future - tied the new cable to the old cable and pull the old cable from the patch side? :P

Yes, all will be concealed. Can do by left method, hack the side walls and add additional points you need, be it power/cable/telephone etc. for LAN points, at least 2 points if possible. I got 3 points in my living room. The rest 2 each.

So you can hack the walls to add in the points (and with the same number of cables that was there)? Er, I can't see the 2 point each room thingy from your plan as you have 7 points in total in the plan and you have 7 wires to the patch, so that sounds like only 1 room (study) other than the living area you have 2 points for LAN. So, could you repeat that again - how do you do 2 points when there is only 7 wires? I would have thought 14 points which would have gone beyond your 12 pts wall patch. I presume you would hack the wall (from the ground to the point which the wall plug will be) to place those LAN points?

Feel free to read, I did patch panel before further routing my access via gigabit switch then to my various points in the house.

Ok, let me get this right. Your modem (from whatever source you are getting your broadband from) is at P1, which has a wall plug pt and a power pt affixed. Your modem LAN point is fixed onto the wall plug, which brings the connectivity to your 16 port router in your study room. The rest of the points P2 - P7 will then get the connectivity from this router which distributes the bandwidth among these (2-7) points right?

So when you get your fibre TP fixed, it will be at P1, and the ONT from your fibre provider will be place at P1 in replacement of the current one, and the connectivity will be the same. Right?

Ok, forgot about the shielding part, so looks like via ground level is a good way to lay those cables. Your electrician is one hired by your ID I presume - They know what to do when you tell them you want to lay it this way? I have checked your cable layout, it looks pretty complicated with the turns (or was that only for the speaker cables? those in the pictures which showed some of the piping), so how do you replace/upgrade them in the future - tied the new cable to the old cable and pull the old cable from the patch side? :P

Ans: It depends, can do over-the-air, if you got no intention to hack the flooring. Make sure your contractor uses separate PVC pipes for network, should never combine with electrical wires.

Yes, by my ID, quite decent, at least they uses network cable tester to check the termination & uses a crimper to terminate the points.

From tv console to back, that's for my speakers. You should only looked at the single point(main door) where it linked to my study room. From my tv console linked to study room, ditto for the 2 rooms. The benefit of putting at ground, using PVC pipes, allows my contractor to use special mini flexible to pull from 1 end to another effectively with much ease for future upgrades. The method you had suggested was correct, that's how they did mine.

So you can hack the walls to add in the points (and with the same number of cables that was there)? Er, I can't see the 2 point each room thingy from your plan as you have 7 points in total in the plan and you have 7 wires to the patch, so that sounds like only 1 room (study) other than the living area you have 2 points for LAN. So, could you repeat that again - how do you do 2 points when there is only 7 wires? I would have thought 14 points which would have gone beyond your 12 pts wall patch. I presume you would hack the wall (from the ground to the point which the wall plug will be) to place those LAN points?

Ans: I didn't hack the whole wall, but rather additional hole so called to expand your points. The linkage you saw are pipes, i had provided additional in there but never utilised them at the moment. 1 at main door, 2 at tv console, 2 in studyroom & 1 each room, total 7. Wires are run in pvc pipes, you only need to purchase 1/2 gangs network points to be live.

For my patch panel, it is supposed to link up between my rooms back to studyroom vice versa. 3 in living, 2 each room, I'm left with 3 spares.

I didn't hacked the floorings in my room, so I had instructed my contractor to hack the wall from ground to electrical level, and continued via side wall to my point of intent.

Ok, let me get this right. Your modem (from whatever source you are getting your broadband from) is at P1, which has a wall plug pt and a power pt affixed. Your modem LAN point is fixed onto the wall plug, which brings the connectivity to your 16 port router in your study room. The rest of the points P2 - P7 will then get the connectivity from this router which distributes the bandwidth among these (2-7) points right?

Ans: Yes, at point 1 to my study room, but that is straight to patch panel, from patch panel to my router, from my router to my switch, from my switch back to 6 points in patch panel. This way, all my remaining 6 points gained Internet access.

So when you get your fibre TP fixed, it will be at P1, and the ONT from your fibre provider will be place at P1 in replacement of the current one, and the connectivity will be the same. Right?

Ans: Yes, that's right, point 1 is permanent for all Internet service provider.

wahhh sounds very complicated the networking, next time if i need to network my place then i must ask u for help.

No problem dude. Always willing to help & share. Care & Share motto says alive! By the way, you will be collecting your house in few years?

Hi ongcs, would like to seek some advice from u. Paiseh if it sound stupid as wifey and I have zero knowledge to this home network.

We hope to have wireless access in our EM which is currently undergo renovation. We intend to use the (Singtel - MIO white colour modem) and place it at level one living area (inside TV console). During the rewiring of electrical points, ID also ask electrical to lay cat6 cables (not sure is it call LAN point) in our master bedroom and also the bedroom opposite the maste bedroom. Do I need to buy another router so that our level two can have wireless access? Understand that(Singtel - MIO white colour modem) also has a built-in router, correct? Any things to take note so that to ensure better signal?

Thanx in advance. :yamseng:

Hi ongcs, would like to seek some advice from u. Paiseh if it sound stupid as wifey and I have zero knowledge to this home network.

We hope to have wireless access in our EM which is currently undergo renovation. We intend to use the (Singtel - MIO white colour modem) and place it at level one living area (inside TV console). During the rewiring of electrical points, ID also ask electrical to lay cat6 cables (not sure is it call LAN point) in our master bedroom and also the bedroom opposite the maste bedroom. Do I need to buy another router so that our level two can have wireless access? Understand that(Singtel - MIO white colour modem) also has a built-in router, correct? Any things to take note so that to ensure better signal?

Thanx in advance. :yamseng:

this one i know how to answer hehe....yup advisable better to have wired laid for ur master n bedroom. Wireless signal is subjective to coverage n location. Worst scenario ur master bedroom might have zero wireless reception...then u can still have the wired LAN connection from bedroom outlet to be online.

Ong ya 2016.... still long long...

Hi Bleucheeze, most welcome to help you. Good to know that you had the intention to engage network contractor to fix up the wirings for you.

Back to your questions, buy a strong signal router & place the router in your study room. I presumed your study room & living room side by side & MBR opposite your study room.

Your intention of 1 point each in living room & study room was to link them up via wired access. If I had interpreted correctly.

Here you go on the route.

Open net point->fibre modem->cat6 cable connected to your living network port aka RJ45>>(your contractor will setup a LAN cable link from living room to study room)->study room network port aka RJ45>cat6 cable connected to your router->2 type of access to answer your needs(see below)

1) wired access

Connect your laptop to router ports

2) wireless access

Enable your wifi in your router

Now, why place it in study room. Centralise your wifi access, signal will be stronger near your intended wifi zone coverage. Your mobile devices, tablets, pads, smart phone will received better signal that way.

Do note that if possible, place your router as high as possible, never below your human height level. Reason being, at that level, you had placed pretty much blockage at that level, being your furniture & fittings, cabinets, chairs, table etc, they does affects the signal. The higher it is, the better signal it is.

Of cause, your wired connection to your laptop might be un-glam, for that you need to brainstorm. :sport-smiley-004:

Which brand of router to look at? Asus RT-AC66U if budget allows, I do remembered that if you signed up fibre plan, discount will be given, should set you back at $200 range. Official retailed price at $289.

Alternatively, Asus RT-N56U, it is pretty decent, discount should set you back at $100, retailed price at $159? If my memory served me right.

Feel free to hit me again :yamseng:

alternatively, u can do TP -> fibre modem (provided by ur fibre provider) -> router...you need a router before you can setup an access point, some routers can be configured to be either but not both...

if u want to do wireless mostly in living, then i would say put the router in the living room instead of the study which will have the wired connection...strength of signal to your mbr depends on how many walls ur router gotta go through - put in study may not give you best signal strength...different type of walls will behave differently...killers are fridges and that nice solid wall of the bomb shelter... :bleah:

u can consider doing powerline networking (aztech is good) or simply put a wireless repeater to boost the strength...wireless repeater best to get same brand as your main router but not impossible to do...

to test your signal strength and to see how the signal strength varies, use one of your mobile phones as an access point...then install this app, called wifi analyzer for android (sorry, i dun hv any apple devices, can't help you there)...connect to your AP and see how ur signal strength is like as you move through your house...then u know where to site your router and which channel you should set on for maximum signal strength...

wireless router, both asus models are good...my cisco ea4500 cost me $199 on a special deal from M1 when i signed up for my fibre plan....

Thanks ongcs & dragonnite for sharing. Actually my network is done already (fibre and LAN), just pending Starhub's installation of modem cum router (i believe it's 2-in-1 model). My house is still under reno so can't really test now.

Back to your suggestions, I'm still not very sure what to do, so please pardon my somewhat ignorant questions. Does router need to be connected to modem? Cos thinking of putting router in study, one RJ45 port will connect to my laptop wired, and can switch on router's wifi to use in study and mbr, right? However, if router needs to be connected to modem here, then I dunno what to do liao :dunno:

My opennet point and starhub router/modem are right beside my main door, so it is some distance away from living room, plus they are cordoned off by a door, so I'd prefer not to use the starhub router for wifi in living room. Since i have a LAN point in living room, what device do you guys suggest I use if I only want wifi in living room (that is no need wired access)? My network contractor says I can use this device called wireless access point (IIRC)... Should I use this or router?

this one i know how to answer hehe....yup advisable better to have wired laid for ur master n bedroom. Wireless signal is subjective to coverage n location. Worst scenario ur master bedroom might have zero wireless reception...then u can still have the wired LAN connection from bedroom outlet to be online.

Ong ya 2016.... still long long...

Thanx melmeow, but how to have wireless access in level two leh? Paiseh.. if I sound stupid.. :P