Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
weililee

4 Room Renovation At Eunos Crescent By Jeremy Fong From Defong

Background

I created this thread to share my renovation experience after gaining so much through the sharing of information and knowledge by others in this forum :yamseng:

Hopefully, lurkers doing their due diligence will find this helpful. By due diligence, i mean not over paying for renovation works. This industry is littered with greedy contractors which is why ignorant ppl like us resort to forums and word of mouth to source for reliable and reasonable contractors. :furious:

Also, I hope this serves as another reference for people hunting for HDB registered contractors to check out the prices, the quality of work and quality of service from my ID.

Search for ID

My initial plan was to engage different groups of workers i.e. the tilers, plumbers, carpenters, people who do plastering, painting workers etc for my renovation. I soonealized managing so many different groups of people will be time consuming even though it would be cheaper to source direct. So iended up looking for a contractor to coordinate my renovation work. The amount of coordination required will be time consuming and tiring. As a person outside this industry, i wasn't sure if I am able to carry out the renovation works within 6 weeks if i were to do it on my own.

Therefore, i began to gather quotations based on my renovation requirements from 10+ contractors. Quotes ranged from low of 24k to high of 42k. As the date of my 2nd appt drew nearer, the search became more frantic as a suitable contractor (based on price and scope of work) could not be found.

Incidentally, i began to look through the ads in this forum and found Defong. Skeptical with ads as I am of the view that advertising cost will be passed on to consumers, i went to Defong's website to check out what they have to offer. At the same time, i emailed Defong my renovation requirements and asked for a quotation.

I received a prompt response from Defong's Jeremy on the same day i sent in my request. I was relieved to finally see a contractor who quoted reasonable prices for the renovation works i wanted to do.

Immediately, fixed an appt with Jeremy to visit my house (which i have not taken over) to do a site inspection so that he can give a more accurate quote. Went back to his showroom in Bedok North to sit down to discuss the details of the renovation on the same day. As i was very sure of what i wanted for my renovation and clear of the prices required to carry out the works, I realize Defong is quoting very reasonable prices :good:

Timeline

19 March 2012 - 1st appt

15 May 2012 - insurance check up for CPF loan + 1st appt with Jeremy

24 May 2012 - 2nd appt

30 May 2012 - start of renovation works

21 June 2012 - projected to be end of renovation works (6 wks required inclusive of touch up works)

Experience with Jeremy Fong from Defong

First impression: down to earth. without the fancy bling bling and loud accessories and hairdo of other so called IDs.

First site visit: listens to our requirements, then gives his inputs. Found him to be patient

Actual sitting down: No fancy ideas, very down to earth. offers practical inputs. He also brought my wife down to a unit that he was renovating to look at the tiling works and painting works.

Found him to be a humble person despite his experience and success.

Most importantly, he dispenses great information on where to source for good deals for the items we are buying for our house. Some of the so called contractors which essentially are salesmen get 20% or more (of the invoice value) as commission by bringing their clients to certain shops to buy fixures. At no point in time did Jeremy volunteer to do so.

The renovation industry is a lucrative one (competitive at the same time) and I do not sense the shameless greed which so many others had displayed through my interaction with them.

Working experience with Jeremy

Practical advice: Good. Patiently explains to us why some things can be done and why some things should not be done.

Creativity: No judgement. He does what i want and i did not seek any inputs for innovative ways to renovate my house from him too.

Chemistry: still developing but so far so good

Timeliness in responding to calls: Good. Will respond to all our phone calls. We bug him daily on various things

Patience: Good. No black /arrogant face ( u know the long face u get or the arrogant face u get)

Timeliness of work: Fast. Applied for renovation permit on the same day i got my keys. Even though hacking work could not be done until 4 days later, he did not sit idle but arranged for floor laminates and fixtures to be removed first.

Quality of work: Reserved until actual product can be seen

For those who are too lazy because TLDR. I'll be showing pictures below to illustrate the renovation journey.

I will also upload my total renovation costs including fixtures into google docs for you reference.

Edited by weililee

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

most likely won't be going down to the flat after work this week.

tomorrow alot of stuff we bought will be coming in and i'll get some pictures of the stuff that i've bought :D:o

received a call this afternoon from Kah Hock Repair and Trading who i found out is selling Rinnai hob and hood at competitive prices. But I decided to get from Jerome instead. turns out Jerome is actually from Kah Hock Repair and Trading. So yea, if u are getting quotes for ur kitchen hood and hob, dun forget to scout the prices from Kah Hock Repair and Trading :yamseng:

Edited by weililee

Hi there! Congrats in getting your new home. We share the same renovation firm. :thumbs up:

I have read ur t blog countless times. Understand from Jeremy ur contractor is Kevin.

Nice house u have, especially the kitchen! The contents of ur t blog has been a valuable guide to us in terms of logging the renovation progress and the renovation details to look out for :)

Edited by weililee

I have read ur t blog countless times. Understand from Jeremy ur contractor is Kevin.

Nice house u have, especially the kitchen! The contents of ur t blog has been a valuable guide to us in terms of logging the renovation progress and the renovation details to look out for :)

You are right. My contractor is Kevin. I met Jeremy on one occasion when he visited my house and I was there during the renovation. Thank you for liking my house and visited my blog. I wish you have a smooth renovation. Keep it up (your blog)! Awaiting for your updates

was told on sat 9/6/12 tile works will end on Wednesday. Thursday morning will be tiles cleaning.

Carpentry works will take another 10-14 days from today.

Hopefully will get my lights and plumbing up by tonight :sport-smiley-003:

was told on sat 9/6/12 tile works will end on Wednesday. Thursday morning will be tiles cleaning.

Progressing smoothly weiilee. :thumbs up:

Hello,

Your house looks good so far. Any updates? Was thinking of checking out DeFong as well. Thanks.