Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Gymrat76

Led Downlights

I agree with MsPiPi on Alex from A Lighting. I bought all my lights from him.

However, for LED cove lighting, Alex advises it is cheaper to get from Sim Lim. Anybody knows any reliable shops there?

Hi,

I am new here, my house using 18 nos 3w LED down light about 9 months ago bought from Balestier Road one of lighting shop, now we have about 5 nos spoiled, changed new driver no light too, went back to that shop told that no warranty and no more same downlight and cant repair, have to change new set.

Any one know that any lighting shop can repair the LED light ? Asked so many shop and no one say LED can repair.

Thanks

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi,

I am new here, my house using 18 nos 3w LED down light about 9 months ago bought from Balestier Road one of lighting shop, now we have about 5 nos spoiled, changed new driver no light too, went back to that shop told that no warranty and no more same downlight and cant repair, have to change new set.

Any one know that any lighting shop can repair the LED light ? Asked so many shop and no one say LED can repair.

Thanks

5 out of 18 is almost 30% failure rate! Goodness. My place installed with 43 PLC downlights 2 years ago, and so far none spoilt except for some bulbs and one unit making some noise (don't know why) but noise went away after I removed one of the bulbs.

New place I am installing LED downlights on the understanding that it is more durable and in the long run will save on energy consumption. But your experience is scary.

Yeah, most shops tell me LED lights cannot repair (except for driver) and no warranty. But over the weekend, strangely one shop along Jalan Besar offered 10 year warranty on their LED lights! But their prices are about double what I could get outside. The salesman claims their LED lights (from Taiwan) quality very different from those China made ones. Don't know whether it is worth paying the extra price. Or maybe just stick to PLC!

Hi,

Thanks

That is the problem when buying from outside shops thou is cheaper. I presume urs are using those MR16 cos only 3W which is GU5.3 type. No point to repair in fact. If u want, I can recommend u gd LEDs lamps/fixture with a minimum 2 or 3 yrs warranty depends on which type of lamps from a very reliable source. PM me if u need.

That is the problem when buying from outside shops thou is cheaper. I presume urs are using those MR16 cos only 3W which is GU5.3 type. No point to repair in fact. If u want, I can recommend u gd LEDs lamps/fixture with a minimum 2 or 3 yrs warranty depends on which type of lamps from a very reliable source. PM me if u need.

Hi, What is MR16 type?

I bought from Balestier Road lighting shop which my contactor brought me there, and its not cheap anyway.

2 or 3 year warranty, after 2 or 3 year what am I going to do with these downlight if spoilt?

Now I wish to change the 5 spoilt LED to new, but I can not find the same model with the old one, in this case my living ceiling will have 2 type of different down light.

Hi, What is MR16 type?

I bought from Balestier Road lighting shop which my contactor brought me there, and its not cheap anyway.

2 or 3 year warranty, after 2 or 3 year what am I going to do with these downlight if spoilt?

Now I wish to change the 5 spoilt LED to new, but I can not find the same model with the old one, in this case my living ceiling will have 2 type of different down light.

In normal cases, LEDs can last estimated at least 5 yrs whereas the driver will estimated 3 yrs, if u r lucky, it can be longer. This is only apply to those better and quality types especially CREE led. MR16 is those LEDs replacing halogen bulbs, using GU5.3 or GU10 socket. Downlight suppose to be in a fixture type, either round or square type. For warranty issue, only those reputated brands do provide. Some can be 1 yr, 2 yrs or 3 yrs. After warranty period if spoilt of cos cannot be replaced. As long as within the period, no 2nd thought, immediate change so long as the model still exist, if not, they will replace a new compatible model.

why not u upload the photo of the type of LED downlight u hv now ? Perhaps I can advise further from there.

Edited by Lite

3w downlight

In normal cases, LEDs can last estimated at least 5 yrs whereas the driver will estimated 3 yrs, if u r lucky, it can be longer. This is only apply to those better and quality types especially CREE led. MR16 is those LEDs replacing halogen bulbs, using GU5.3 or GU10 socket. Downlight suppose to be in a fixture type, either round or square type. For warranty issue, only those reputated brands do provide. Some can be 1 yr, 2 yrs or 3 yrs. After warranty period if spoilt of cos cannot be replaced. As long as within the period, no 2nd thought, immediate change so long as the model still exist, if not, they will replace a new compatible model.

why not u upload the photo of the type of LED downlight u hv now ? Perhaps I can advise further from there.

Thanks Lite.

Sorry, dont know how to post image, use link, my downlight look something like this but bigger size.

3w downlight

Thanks Lite.

Sorry, dont know how to post image, use link, my downlight look something like this but bigger size.

Ok. from that link, this type of LEDs are normal China brand and I think u can buy at most of the lighting which cost about S$50 for 3 pcs, very cheap. I have got my 4" Dia downlight Cree Brand which 1 pcs cost me about S$65 which come with 3 yrs product (inclusive of driver ) warranty. Of cos there are many other types of reliable LEDs lamp around and in Singapore, now mainly 4 major player but mainly 2 makers are leading.

Your downlight is 4" or 6" Dia ? Is it the flat type of upright kind ?

If you want to know, I can introduce you the contact for the LEDs distributor. U may like to PM me your contact and I will get the guy to contact you.

Ok. from that link, this type of LEDs are normal China brand and I think u can buy at most of the lighting which cost about S$50 for 3 pcs, very cheap. I have got my 4" Dia downlight Cree Brand which 1 pcs cost me about S$65 which come with 3 yrs product (inclusive of driver ) warranty. Of cos there are many other types of reliable LEDs lamp around and in Singapore, now mainly 4 major player but mainly 2 makers are leading.

Your downlight is 4" or 6" Dia ? Is it the flat type of upright kind ?

If you want to know, I can introduce you the contact for the LEDs distributor. U may like to PM me your contact and I will get the guy to contact you.

I bought its all about $85 each by that time.

Now my question is where can repair my LED downlight? I am not going to buy the new set of 18 nos for my house.

Reliable LEDs lamp, I dont trust this any more, that lighting shop and my contactor also told me they are reliable.

Thanks Any way..

I bought its all about $85 each by that time.

Now my question is where can repair my LED downlight? I am not going to buy the new set of 18 nos for my house.

Reliable LEDs lamp, I dont trust this any more, that lighting shop and my contactor also told me they are reliable.

Thanks Any way..

oh... that's very expensive. Anyway, I don't think can be repaired. However, I think you should go back to the shop to get replacement if you have bought it not long ago. From what I know, LEDs lamps usually come with at least 1 yr warranty even China brand.

Edited by Lite

I just bought a 9W for S$25 from eBay to try it out. If good, then buy some more. Hehe

Edited by Batman

i am also looking for downlight for my new place. Am considering LED although i still doubt it can have any significant $ saving over normal PLC.

But i good thing i like about LED is that it is not as hot and the light projected is more consistant.

I found this shop in AMK that sell very cheap LED lighting. A 13W 130mmx130mm downlight cost $28. Saw the driver, those china made type. I was wondering if i buy just its LED and then source for my own driver (say HEP). Will that helps to prolong the life span?

For buying LED lights...

Take note of the following (my opinion);

- Remember to go for those lights with good LED lamp (chipset) brand such as CREE, EPISTAR, SAMSUNG, Nichia, Osram, Philips etc.

- Try not to get those china made cheapo LED chipset where the LED lights will only last a fraction of what they claimed...

- Driver is also important and try not to get the integrated type because if either the LED lamp or driver spoils, you will have to replace the whole light... as much as possible, get the separate driver type of LED lights.

- When choosing a LED downlight, also take note of its light distribution angle in order to suit your needs... some give very narrow and some give a wide angle distribution

Recently I just done the replacement of the following;

- my bedroom PLC downlights to 12W LED downlights

Bedroom 12W LED Square Downlight

Bedroom 12W LED Square Downlight_Lights on

- my kitchen PLC downlights to 20W LED downlights

Kitchen 20W LED Square Downlights

Kitchen 20W LED Square Downlights_Lights on

- Balcony hanging PLC lights to 2x8W LED ceiling light

Balcony 2x8W LED Light (IP44)

Balcony 2x8W LED Light (IP44)_lights on

Regards.

Edited by heynsl

i am also looking for downlight for my new place. Am considering LED although i still doubt it can have any significant $ saving over normal PLC.

But i good thing i like about LED is that it is not as hot and the light projected is more consistant.

I found this shop in AMK that sell very cheap LED lighting. A 13W 130mmx130mm downlight cost $28. Saw the driver, those china made type. I was wondering if i buy just its LED and then source for my own driver (say HEP). Will that helps to prolong the life span?

I just bought some 4 inch LED at $25. they work quite well. and the shop give me 2 years warranty to the driver.

it quite good to use LED now.

I also bought some spotlight at $10, it's quite cheap and a beautiful crystal dinning light. it cost me less than $700.

hope this can help you. haha

Edited by Nicole85