Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Gymrat76

Led Downlights

We got our keys today and dropped by lightings.com.sg at Geylang. We had previously been there a few weeks back and decided on the Philips LED downlights which were going for $38/piece. However, today we were told that the promotion had ended and it was now $58, even though we had a record of the prices they wrote there a few weeks back at $38! Am quite disappointed at this, not sure if its a crooked sales tactic or if we were really just unlucky to have the 'promotion' end today.

Anyway, can anyone else recommend a place for affordable LED downlights? Other places we went to carried house brands but in the region of $60-90+. I'm sure lightings.com.sg is not the only place able to afford the Philips LED downlights at $38. Would appreciate if anyone can recommend any other places, thanks :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

i got mine from Raymond of Trendy lighting House @ Jln Berseh.

seems fine though there is one negative remark there.

LED for 5-6W i think, avg $50-$55

I got my LED downlights, T5, kitchen light, track light and entrance light all from Alex of A Lighting (463 Geylang Rd). I noticed that Alex is a very honest guy who marked up the prices only very minimally compared to other shops.

LED downlight - $53

T5 4ft - $15

LED kitchen light - $180 (another shop in Geylang quoted me $300)

LED track light - $60 for track and $20 each for LED light (another shop quoted me $138 for track and $40 each for LED light)

LED entrance crystal light - $267 (I saw a similar light in Balestia, slightly bigger and the supplier quoted me $700!!!)

I bought a bedroom ceiling light from Balestia at $310, when I showed the photo to Alex, he quoted me $180.

Just to let you know that Alex's shop looked abit run down and did not display fanciful lights. However, you may show him what you want and he will check with his supplier if they have this light.

Confused with lux with lumens? i suggest you do up some LED education : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lux

The whole issue here is that your downlight only provides 200lm at 1 meter but its running at 12w. My designed downlight, runs at 9w but gives 700lm after cover @ 1.2 meter. Certainly the considerations like brand of the LED chip, driver class are important. But what is the real point of using LEDs? lower wattage equal or more brightness.

Certainly the track records would show. Retailers without sound knowledge, only create like a customer i met today in the east. They have the whole house done with LEDs, but complain that the brightness is not enough. Selling is easy, but knowing what you are dealing with needs a heart.

Tried reading up as well as re-looking at the posts here. If I understand it correctly, looks like different lights for different purposes.

Lumens measures total light output (ie, measured at the light source). Lux (which is lumens per sq metre) measures illuminance (ie, measures light at the object being lighted up).

So the lumens of a lamp is a fixed number. But the further you move away from it, the lower the lux number will drop because the area covered by the light increases.

Their lamp produces 750lm with 12W, giving 62.5lm/W. This is pretty decent efficiency for LED, as far as I know.

Yours produces 700lm with 9W, giving close to 78lm/W. Pretty impressive, assuming it's not being overdriven.

Assuming that all the figures above are accurate, your lamp is more efficient but produces less light - 6% to 7% less.

But when you start measuring how objects are being lighted up, we need to look at lux. So, if at 1m, they measure 200 lux, that's taking into account the beam angle - ie, the 750lm is spread out over the area covered by the beam angle (120 degrees, which is pretty broad). If, at 1.2m, your lamp measures 700lux (you stated 700lm in your post, but I presume you meant lux, because lm measures light output at source, so distance is not a factor), it probably means that your beam angle is much narrower than theirs. Likely different lamps for different uses. A large beam angle for general lighting (like ceiling downlights) and a narrow angle for accent lighting (eg, lighting up artwork)

That's my understanding anyway. Still learning.

Tried reading up as well as re-looking at the posts here. If I understand it correctly, looks like different lights for different purposes.

Lumens measures total light output (ie, measured at the light source). Lux (which is lumens per sq metre) measures illuminance (ie, measures light at the object being lighted up).

So the lumens of a lamp is a fixed number. But the further you move away from it, the lower the lux number will drop because the area covered by the light increases.

Their lamp produces 750lm with 12W, giving 62.5lm/W. This is pretty decent efficiency for LED, as far as I know.

Yours produces 700lm with 9W, giving close to 78lm/W. Pretty impressive, assuming it's not being overdriven.

Assuming that all the figures above are accurate, your lamp is more efficient but produces less light - 6% to 7% less.

But when you start measuring how objects are being lighted up, we need to look at lux. So, if at 1m, they measure 200 lux, that's taking into account the beam angle - ie, the 750lm is spread out over the area covered by the beam angle (120 degrees, which is pretty broad). If, at 1.2m, your lamp measures 700lux (you stated 700lm in your post, but I presume you meant lux, because lm measures light output at source, so distance is not a factor), it probably means that your beam angle is much narrower than theirs. Likely different lamps for different uses. A large beam angle for general lighting (like ceiling downlights) and a narrow angle for accent lighting (eg, lighting up artwork)

That's my understanding anyway. Still learning.

Great - At last some kind wise soul step up with unbiased and accurate explanation.

Also have to take into acccount, product warranty when purchasing LEDs

Glad that you're happy with the purchase :) May I know finally did you get the promo price of $38 or the higher price? Thanks!

Bo bian paid $58.. die die won't give me back promo price haha

Bo bian paid $58.. die die won't give me back promo price haha

I called them last week, wanted to confirm if the promo price is still valid but they told me that $38 was a special price for their first launch(can't remember the actual word he used but something of the same meaning). Now after a few months the price is no longer valid...

Honestly, if u work it out, there isn't much savings by choosing LED over normal plc down lights.

It's no rocket science/maths to work it out.

Edited by Batman

Honestly, if u work it out, there isn't much savings by choosing LED over normal plc down lights.

It's no rocket science/maths to work it out.

Thank you for your advise Batman! :)

Hi Batman, I am intending to get 'Many' downlights for my new house.

Am torn between choosing PLC and LED. My Maths gave me a break even of 2.5 years with the price of $28 PLC vs $58 LED (both philips brand from lightings.com.sg). Switching them on 8 hrs per day gives me about $12/yr savings for each downlight.

Can you show me your maths? Cos I am trying to convince myself not to splurge on LED.

Thanks!

Edited by calmwaters

Am torn between choosing PLC and LED. My Maths gave me a break even of 2.5 years with the price of $28 PLC vs $58 LED (both philips brand from lightings.com.sg). Switching them on 8 hrs per day gives me about $12/yr savings for each downlight.

Can you show me your maths? Cos I am trying to convince myself not to splurge on LED.

Thanks!

To be frank, installed LED lamp/light for home use not really jusified for cost saving, jus a little energy saving. LEDs lamps for home use basically are becos LEDs lamps/lights can create different ambience. Before you decide to use what type of lamps, you have to ask yourself what is your main concern. Need to be bright enough ? Nice ? Ambience ? Cost saving.. etc? If you jus walk in to any lighting shops, you just gotta choose what type of fixture you and and what type of lamps you want. You couldn't get much advise from them. PM me if you interested to know more. I am most willing to share what I have known about lightings.

Thanks!

Bro,

The answer is in your statement already :rolleyes:

Do you turn on your lights for 8hrs everyday, 365 days a week? i.e 6pm-2am? :sport-smiley-003:

I agree with MsPiPi on Alex from A Lighting. I bought all my lights from him.

However, for LED cove lighting, Alex advises it is cheaper to get from Sim Lim. Anybody knows any reliable shops there?