Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
DancingInTheRain

2Nd Home @casa Clementi

Hi DancingInTheRain!

nice designs you have out there.

anyway, your electrical wirings are all done by Mr K. too?

Anyway, may I have contacts for Mr K. as well as the carpentry? really interested in their works.

side note, roughly what was the bill for the whole reno?

Hi Devin,

Everything in my home is done by Mr. K. The electricals, the carpentry, the flooring, the plumbing, the painting, the aircon bla bla bla... He has fixed groups of people whom he works with for years. This is evident in the way they communicate and get work done. :good:

As for the contacts and the bills, you've got mail! Ü

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

How much is your white louvre doors? From Mr k?

Of White and white and WhITES

Went to my home today to discuss with the carpenter about the carpentry and saw workers installing the huge glass door for my kitchen entrance and white louvre doors for the toilets.

7e3777a677308db2dec3dc0d9ddb05f5_zps8313589f.jpg

They were also there to re-install the windows which I rejected as they have a blue hue. Mr. K explained to me that it is because the windows are made of aluminum so, without any special spray painting, the "white" will naturally carry a blue hue. I saw the same blue hue on the white windows in my brother's flat so i believe this is true. I accepted that as my lack of knowledge and willingly requested for him to change the windows to aluminum color at my cost. He also asked if I would like to continue with white for the kitchen door and the white louvre doors for the toilets, which I confirmed to continue with white. At that time, Mr. K immediately informed the folks for the kitchen and louvre doors to spray paint these items white as I want them to be white-white, not carrying any blue hue. :thumbs up: Thumbs up to Mr. K for pre-emping the problem.

Unfortunately, the louvre doors still came with a blue hue as shown in the pic below. :furious:

21918c5faae61a798729baaa5e435d22_zps80dcea63.jpg

The kitchen door, on the other hand, did not have the blue hue. So, I watsapped Mr. K about it and he would look into the matter tomorrow.

Arh... Sometimes, I wonder if it is due to my previous profession which trained me to have a keen eye for colors (we had a whole row of colors tabs with different shades of a color, say blue, and had to arrange them from the lightest to darkest... Always loved doing that and checking my score thereafter... ). I am rather particular about colors matching. With many more white items in different materials coming up, I wonder if I will go crazy later... hahahaa.... :P Another lesson learnt.

The Square Box

More than a decade ago, when my family moved to a new HDB flat, I recall thinking how I thought the kitchen (and every other room) seemed so much smaller than our previous home. Lo and behold, years later, when I stepped into my second home in Casa Clementi, I had the exact same feeling, just that now, the size has shrinked again! It's practically a tiny squarish box!!! :bangwall:

HDB Flat Designers if you are reading this, you really ought to take a glass of water, sit at a corner of your office and reflect on this. The space is really just sufficient for one person (at most 2 if they are small sized) to work at a time leh... How to get my sons to learn to cook?? There isn't even enough table top space for my son to sit and watch while I prepare the ingredients!! :bleah:

K... Finish ranting and continue with my blog...

The kitchen was the other space in my home that I spent a lot of time thinking about how to utilize the space. Initially, I had wanted U-shape cabinets but with that, there's only slightly more than 1m space to move around. Moreover, I was told that the stove cannot be opposite the sink or fridge, else it will cause conflicts in the family. The sink and the stove cannot be along the same line neither. HUGE HEADACHE... :bangwall:

As luck would have it, one day, when I was still heavily pregnant and at my new home thinking of the space design, I saw the my neighbor's door was open and the contractor was standing outside. We chatted and then I got to know that he's actually the dad of the owner and he also invited me into the home to look look see see. Wah! I was very impressed by the space design and particularly, with the kitchen. So I copied the space layout in my new home! Heehee... :dancingqueen:

Entrance to The Square Box

33d42b4521ce30811ed897af46611ea8_zpsa5463117.jpg

This door and the louvre door slide behind the 2 shelves in the dining area. And coz the wall which this door closes to is not perpendicular to the ground, Mr. K had the carpenter make something like a door frame (thr wooden part on the left wall) so that the door can close properly. :good:

T-box

c5d90719d94c84b39b3fe642e0b5d7c8_zps4306ad19.jpg

This side will be my gadgets department with the fridge, oven and microwave oven. All other lingling longlongs that I will not be using often will be kept in the cabinets on top. The doors opens upwards for the top cabinet.

L-box

f95160fd392e184b017ac576a849c22a_zps849bf377.jpg

The other side of the kitchen. The kitchen is so small, I couldn't take a full pic! Hahhaaa.... ;p Still awaiting the white solid surface and back splash...

The Blum Stuff

a55fefc0cf62e04b64d638bafe32a41d_zpseac230dd.jpg

When I just started, I was so certain I wanted every single hinge in my home to be Blum. But, after spending some time sitting at the corner of my home with a glass of water, I decided this is a luxury that I can do without. I looked at my mummy's and mil's homes and neither of them used Blum but the kitchens are still in good condition after decades! :thumbs up: so, only Blum for the kitchen and some parts of the living room bah... :dancingqueen:

The Magic Corner

01623d910c5abf654404a0fa80a49248_zps06aebc4d.jpg

My favorite. Because this impressed my mum, a veteran auntie in the kitchen. Wahahahhahahaa.... :yamseng:

Edited by DancingInTheRain

Hide and Seek

And how can I ever forget to show how Ah Zhuan, the Master of Carpentry, hide the ugly pipes in my kitchen and yard?

Pipes in Kitchen

9197e83c959d391a6c04b790c84029ee_zps555864da.jpg

He covered the top push out panel of this window with a big cabinet and we'll have a push-up door for the smaller one at the bottom. I am particularly impressed with how precise the carpentry work was. The cabinets fit exactly where they should!

Pipes in Service Yard

b4ee36042c11007ea6cf6677e1fb8896_zpse877fb13.jpg

I wanted a cabinet here to put my tek ko-s (bamboo poles), brooms and laundry stuff like washing liquid, clothes pegs etc ... He suggested halving it to make it more organized and also legs at the bottom so that it wouldn't get wet and become koyak easily. :good:

"Brown Space"

The other side of my living/ dining room.

d3089112ae4cc213b54b35e42821bce0_zps550f9886.jpg

Decision Point again...

The Hubby is planning for a 47 inch TV and 5.1 audio system. The height of the TV is at most 75cm but the TV space is like 210 cm (length) x 128cm (height) x 60cm (depth). So, that means a "brown space" of about 50cm on top of the entertainment set. Any suggestion about what to do? We thought of having an additional board with 45cm height and 30cm depth but as there's no provision for a spot light in this TV box, if we put photos here, it will look rather dark.... :help:

Ah Zhuan was suggesting that a 55 inch TV (max height 90cm) will fit in nicely here.... But our TV to sofa distance only like 170 to 185cm nia... So, 55 inch TV seems a little big... Anyone with experience about this matter?

Gam Sia! :)

Edited by DancingInTheRain

"Brown Space"

The other side of my living/ dining room.

d3089112ae4cc213b54b35e42821bce0_zps550f9886.jpg

Decision Point again...

The Hubby is planning for a 47 inch TV and 5.1 audio system. The height of the TV is at most 75cm but the TV space is like 210 cm (length) x 128cm (height) x 60cm (depth). So, that means a "brown space" of about 50cm on top of the entertainment set. Any suggestion about what to do? We thought of having an additional board with 45cm height and 30cm depth but as there's no provision for a spot light in this TV box, if we put photos here, it will look rather dark.... :help:

Ah Zhuan was suggesting that a 55 inch TV (max height 90cm) will fit in nicely here.... But our TV to sofa distance only like 170 to 185cm nia... So, 55 inch TV seems a little big... Anyone with experience about this matter?

Gam Sia! :)

Hey I'm also 5 rm. Wow, u did all the sides for cabinets in yr living room.. I only did one side for full length.. I'm most likely getting 52 or 55 inch.. She be ok bah! 47 seem small..

Hi Dancingintherain, i like the way u did to your living room. So much carpentry work? Can share how much you spend on your reno? And also Mr K contacts if possible.

Thanks. Enjoy your reno journey!!!

Hi Dancingintherain, i like the way u did to your living room. So much carpentry work? Can share how much you spend on your reno? And also Mr K contacts if possible.

Thanks. Enjoy your reno journey!!!

Hi Dodobird,

Yeah... When I started out with my home, I had wanted all the brick walls and pretty scandi furnitures with pencil legs and lotsa pretty pretty displays... But I look at my boys and worry abt the maintenance and their safety. So, I decided to have everything conceal-able.

Arh... As for the reno bills and Mr. K's contacts, you've got mail! :D

Yup... This is from Mr. K too! As for the price, you've got mail! ;)

Hi hi, can you PM me the price for the white louvre door too? will like to do it for my bathroom