Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
DancingInTheRain

2Nd Home @casa Clementi

Lelong Lelong...

My brother also moved recently to his new home. He changed his design concept when he finally settled for a 3-room unit. Then he passed all these lights to me and said he doesn't need them...

I don't think I'll be using them too so lelong lelong now on his behalf....

Ceiling Light

0a4cd0f35c1d3f896a06d982f1b5fb44_zps160e0226.jpg

Dimension: 60 cm (L) x 33 cm (W) x 7.5 cm (H, tallest)

Material: Think this is acrylic but can't be sure...

Quantity: 8 to 10

Table Lamp

569c02a91c36f82633ce7be9c331f354_zps4af7d91f.jpg

Dimension: 45 cm (approx. H), 20 cm (Diameter of cover), 19 cm (Height of cover)

Material: the cover is covered with strings laid vertically.

Quantity: 8 to 10

Note: No bulb (he bought them to be part of his initial feature wall design)

All the lightings were bought in Singapore (not sure which shop). Do PM to me a reasonable price ya? I can't recall the exact quantities as they are all hidden under the bed in our guest room and I'm not staying at my own place now (dengue fever, long story for another time) and I seldom go back home now. I don't want to bring them over to my new flat!!! So, please please, if you're keen, just PM to me. :D

Other than the ones above, he also had a huge chandelier (which he passed to his SIL), a smaller chandelier (which he installed at a corner in his current MBR) and 3-ft T5 lights! So, who says only women are capable of impulse buys? hahaaa.., :dancingqueen:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Of White and white and WhITES

Went to my home today to discuss with the carpenter about the carpentry and saw workers installing the huge glass door for my kitchen entrance and white louvre doors for the toilets.

7e3777a677308db2dec3dc0d9ddb05f5_zps8313589f.jpg

They were also there to re-install the windows which I rejected as they have a blue hue. Mr. K explained to me that it is because the windows are made of aluminum so, without any special spray painting, the "white" will naturally carry a blue hue. I saw the same blue hue on the white windows in my brother's flat so i believe this is true. I accepted that as my lack of knowledge and willingly requested for him to change the windows to aluminum color at my cost. He also asked if I would like to continue with white for the kitchen door and the white louvre doors for the toilets, which I confirmed to continue with white. At that time, Mr. K immediately informed the folks for the kitchen and louvre doors to spray paint these items white as I want them to be white-white, not carrying any blue hue. :thumbs up: Thumbs up to Mr. K for pre-emping the problem.

Unfortunately, the louvre doors still came with a blue hue as shown in the pic below. :furious:

21918c5faae61a798729baaa5e435d22_zps80dcea63.jpg

The kitchen door, on the other hand, did not have the blue hue. So, I watsapped Mr. K about it and he would look into the matter tomorrow.

Arh... Sometimes, I wonder if it is due to my previous profession which trained me to have a keen eye for colors (we had a whole row of colors tabs with different shades of a color, say blue, and had to arrange them from the lightest to darkest... Always loved doing that and checking my score thereafter... ). I am rather particular about colors matching. With many more white items in different materials coming up, I wonder if I will go crazy later... hahahaa.... :P Another lesson learnt.

I think it looks white too..it might be the greenish hue from the windows that makes it look less white?

Ay, contractors are generally less precise on quotes than IDs..and I suppose do need to check and ask what materials are used..I wouldn't say Mr K is 100% but maybe 95%..and at least he's prompt with good attitude which makes renovation a much more enjoyable process.. =)

The place is looking good!! I've moved in! Invite me over if u're there evenings or weekends! =p

I think it looks white too..it might be the greenish hue from the windows that makes it look less white?

Ay, contractors are generally less precise on quotes than IDs..and I suppose do need to check and ask what materials are used..I wouldn't say Mr K is 100% but maybe 95%..and at least he's prompt with good attitude which makes renovation a much more enjoyable process.. =)

The place is looking good!! I've moved in! Invite me over if u're there evenings or weekends! =p

Ahh... I don't know where the reflection comes from leh... If u look at the last pic in the post, that's the rejected window (top part) that was dismantled. They have the same color to me... We'll see how bah...

Congrats, gal! Reno over and now furnishing ya? Happiest part.... Ü

I'm going over around 2+pm. Wanna come over? :D

The Carpentry

Met up with the carpenter 3 times to confirm the carpentry. He's a super soft-spoken guy who draws 3-D fantastically well. The first time we met, I told him what I wanted and immediately he drew the 3D on the walls. I was stunned by how fast he can visualize 3-D and what I've said. Then I met him 2 other times to talk about changes. Each time, we discussed for at least 2 hours and never once did I hear him raise his voice. When I couldn't understand what he was saying, he would patiently draw them out in 3-D and explain to me politely. He also gave suggestions on the placement and movement of the doors on the carpentry to maximize user's movement space. :thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

Generally, we'll have

1. L-shape cabinet (which will house the TV console and the workspace) in the living room

2. 2 x cabinet at the entrance of the corridor to bedrooms (shoe rack + storage),

3. L-shape cabinet + T-shape cabinet in the kitchen,

4. cabinet in service yard (for my "tek go"),

5. cabinets in all 3 rooms.

Below are the drawings that we discussed. Some minor changes were made at our last meeting though... So the pictures are a little outdated.

Top Right = Item 2, Bottom Right = Item 3 (partly blocked coz it has my address) + Item 4, and the pictures on the left are for the bedrooms.

c4ba2119fd6a683e79f271bbd8377427_zps74c8ca00.jpg

My biggest headache was the L-shape cabinets in the living room. I need this to keep the kids' toys, TV console, work station, and storage for the tons of rubbish (but all memories and precious to me :yamseng: ). We discussed this most extensively and finally decided on the below...

TV Console Wall + Storage for toys (bottom large drawers) + Storage

a8ca0a8b8a5506640a5797973b536883_zps3d645761.jpg

Ah Zhuan, the carpenter, suggested Blum drawers for the large drawers as they will be most utilized and storing heavy items (yes, kids' toys are quite heavy de lor...).

Computer Wall + More Storage :sport-smiley-004: :sport-smiley-004: :sport-smiley-004:

f9d7a43c707cb7b6db73f467712c81ea_zps0ef20bc1.jpg

Need to find a chair that I can somehow slot into the space below the computer table... Hahaha... Reminds me of my secondary school Cookery Room where the chairs were hidden under the table top. Anyone has any idea where I can get something like that?

And most importantly, the laminate that I've chosen for the living room! I like the rough texture and the natural look of this laminate. Mr. K had gotten Ah Zhuan to bring a big piece for me to put against the floor to decide. :good:

e791e435f314ebe41b82f8e867d006c0_zpsdbcfd1ea.jpg

And I learnt something new from Ah Zhuan! For carpenters, they draw a "V" on the doors of the cabinets in drawing to show how they will open. The pointed end will be where the hinges will be placed. ;)

My place looks a bita woody hor? I hope my accessories will be able to brighten up the place bah... :P

Edited by DancingInTheRain

DancingInTheRain.... I learn something new from u too.... :)

Carpentry part is the most excited reno phase for me to follow closely.

Still looking out for ideas... :) :)

Trio

Super love these lights I found again but The Hubby says he doesn't like old stuff coz he doesn't know the history behind them. To me, that's the draw of vintage stuff, isn't it? The rich history behind them. Love it! :dancingqueen:

05d97b437f116667d9c129ed7856d40f_zpsc0eb9026.jpg

Still don't know if to get it... :notti:

DancingInTheRain.... I learn something new from u too.... :)

Carpentry part is the most excited reno phase for me to follow closely.

Still looking out for ideas... :) :)

Welcome to my blog again, Syngur! If you like any of the vintage stuff i posted, lemme know... can link you to the seller... Ü

Arh... Now with 2 kids + nursing + staying at my mum's place, I try my best to follow up with the reno progress bah...

Welcome to my blog again, Syngur! If you like any of the vintage stuff i posted, lemme know... can link you to the seller... Ü

Arh... Now with 2 kids + nursing + staying at my mum's place, I try my best to follow up with the reno progress bah...

Eh! Syngur, I realize u are not who I thought u are! Haaaa... *super blur lah me...* :dancingqueen:

C For Ceiling!

The Hubby called me one day to ask how I want the ceiling of our home to be done. I only know that I want it to have the cove light shining in (something like the pictures below). I just like the way it looks and I just realised while reading a blog here that there's someone's name to it.

62ffdf33024b6919bf6f8a26488f7c0b_zps785cc52a.jpg

After 4 drawings of the lighting plan, Mr. K and The Hubby came up with the below. Mr. K also suggested cove light along the corridor.

eebe620f1096a814ebdcd8d71092a56e_zpsaccdc37c.jpg

This big rectangle is our dining/ living room and I divided the area equally into 2 parts. So, it turned out like this...

3cee0a203dff323b49511c251f9449a4_zpsb1beade1.jpg

642eab88b88e93a7c3c0f733bb2257bb_zpscbe77dd3.jpg

2175b854b6d4ea45f4a3d20a1557a759_zps596b5e5b.jpg

Arh... Now I'm having a headache thinking abt furniture arrangement coz apparently, I failed to consider two kids who will RUN ALL OVER our home and knock themselves on everything! :furious:

And let there be light!

Our lighting shopping list was as below:

- 26 x 4ft + 2 x 3ft + 1 x 2ft T5 (yes yes... We were also rather stunned by the numbers),

- 20 x down lights,

- 2 x entrance lights (main door + MBR),

- 1 x Kitchen light,

- Pendant light for dining area,

- 4 small units for service yard, store room and 2 toilets

- 3 x bedroom ceiling lights.

We went to a shop in Trade Hub 21. The service there was great and the salesperson patiently explained to us. However, at the back of our mind, we were thinking if it's possible to get the lights from JB since we hear how we could save up to half the SG price. Besides, my lil brother even offered to drive us around to source for the lights. How could we reject his offer right? Heehee... :dancingqueen:

So off we go to JB one day... First, we went to this small dark shop. My brother seemed to be on super good terms with the salesgirl (turned out he brought my other brother to buy his lights from this shop and he only met this salesgirl once ;) ). However, as we did not see many items that we liked, my bro drove us to Tampoi Lighting (about 15-20 mins drive) to take a look. The salesguy was very experienced and had good product knowledge. We ended up buying all the T5 lights, kitchen light and 4 small lights from him. We had wanted to get the down lights too but for some reason, I just didn't like any of them. (Must be head gong3gong3!) :bangwall::bangwall::bangwall:

The Hubby says I'm like telling grandmother's story in my blog... "Fast forward and get to the point! Just post pictures!!! Nobody wants to know your experience!", he said.

Anyway, we chiong into Chan Huat one day to get all our remaining lights. We were served by Xiaoyan and received excellent service. She even whatsapp pictures of the lights that I bought to me just now, 3 weeks after we bought the lights!

So, tada!, presenting my home lighting combination...

493a120337c2dc05e70977ef74a0b869_zpsa928e1ed.jpg

Top right: Toilets + Store Room + Service Yard, Top left: Down Light, Bottom right: Bedroom lights, Bottom left: Pendant light for dining area

Kitchen light hidden under the bed in my home...

For the bedrooms, we have requested for the lights to be able to switch from "yellow light" to "white light" as our elder boy is used to the "yellow light" just before he sleeps.

I love the Leds C4 pendant lights the most. Xiaoyan and I call it the Milk Cans.

01b6451776e4936f7376db5830aeba6f_zps7f5d6dbe.jpg

The Hubby and I actually prefer the grey version but we think our home is dark and woody enough so we need some white to balance out the whole look for the living/ dining room. So, we chose 2 big cans + 1 small can (the way i call them... Sounds so unromantic... :unsure: ) and will arrange it like Big-Small-Big with the cord of the center piece shorter. Hee... Suddenly think if I can install 2 of these by my bedside... So retro! :dancingqueen:

SURPRISE!!!

*Party Poppers POP! POP! POP!*

I went back to my home today just expecting to receive the lights from Chan Huat but what a surprise I got!

Saw 3 lorries packed near my block with lotsa carpentry and was thinking to myself, "Next week I'll see mine!" Then, when I shared a lift with one of the uncles who were moving the carpentry, I thought the laminate looks familiar. Then I looked closer and realised that all these are for my home! Hahaa... I asked the uncle if he's going storey xx and he said, "yes". Though I was really excited, I still acted cool and said, "Uncle, these are for my home." Hahahaha.... When the lift opened, I was greeted with MORE carpentry lined outside my home! *HAPPINESS* :dancingqueen:

7b1187b0f77f517137718140ca5093ac_zps3193f48e.jpg

Then I walked in and saw my solid wood white louvre door is there too! 2 people were trying to fix it... *BEAUTIFUL! Just the white that I want!* Mr. K had told me that this is spray painted... So, now I know, the white that I want is from using wood and spray painted. Not aluminum. Hahaa...

d546506f778b80b457b5f24d5ec40825_zps97e9a36d.jpg

The louvres were a bit too closely packed for my liking but if I request to change again, The Hubby will kill me! 8|

Then, I overheard someone say that the carpentry are going to be up today! I thought they were just bringing the items to my home to be pieced together next week or something... I went to ask the tao chiew and he confirmed it! :jawdrop: When I left in the morning, they were sorting out the items and putting them into the respective rooms... When I returned later in the afternoon, the kitchen was almost done and the bedrooms carpentry were also almost done! POWER!!! :sport-smiley-003:

There was also an Indian uncle and he was working on the lights! Nice... It was particularly interesting for me to see how he did the down lights with a small equipment that flashes a straight line on the ceiling. He used a cardboard the size of the cover of the down light and drew the bisectors to get the true center. Then, as if without much effort, he divided the ceiling into equal parts and used the cardboard to mark out the positions. But I didn't get to see how he punch out the holes on the false ceiling coz I had to rush back to pick my son from his school in the morning... Heehee... If I see him again tomorrow, I shall ask him!

Mr. K was already there when I returned in the afternoon and I swear I could see the smug look on his face. Hahaaa... And just before I left in the evening, he also arranged for the plumber to come and fix the toilet facets. So excited to see what I'll see tomorrow when I go back home! :P

It's interesting to see how they all work together without any conflicts, given that the space is tight and everyone wants to complete their work fast... Maybe they have seen one another many times before in previous projects bah... But it's really great to see them work so seamlessly even though the whole place looked like a war zone to me...

886d5be306ac5a771e87340f73ef909f_zps00e894bd.jpg

*Paisey... Not many pics coz I felt a bita awkward to take pics when they are all busy working*