Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
charlesyeo

Stay Near Parents Grant Rejected

Hi everyone,

I've recently bought a resale flat in jurong as it is near my in laws. Unfortunately the grant has been rejected. I've emailed HDB and the Situation is as follow:-

To whom it may concern,

Dear Sir/Maám,

My name is Mr Buyer and I would like to lodge a complaint against Mr Chxx, the Customer Service Manager, who was very unreasonable and rude. I met him on 6th July 2012 for my first HDB appointment, and also to be interviewed my suitability for the $10,000 grant given if applicants stayed near the parents. I had all the required documents for the interview and had read the terms and conditions carefully.

Despite this, Mr CHxx did not let me get the grant because he said that my in-laws must be present as signatories. However, the HDB website and letter stated nothing about the presence of in-laws or parents.

He then said that if I wanted the grant, I must re-apply again for an interview and bring my parents-in-law along. It will take another month for a re-interview.

The problem is that I will be homeless as my parents has sold the house already. What is worse was that Mr Chxx insisted that I sign a form which says I will not apply for the grant in the future or he won't proceed with the first appointment.

I am greatly confused because an immediate solution would be allowing me to bring the letter back for my in-laws to sign in the presence of a lawyer. I believe that most officers will let the buyer take the form home to be signed. However, he was forcing me to sign the form, which was totally unreasonable.

Please provide a satisfactory explanation to why Mr CHxx acted so unreasonably and whether you can provide me a suitable solution to this predicament.

Attached is the letter I recieved which inform us the requirements needed for the Grant.

Best Regards,

Mr Buyer

And the reply was:-

Dear Mr Buyer

APPEAL FOR HIGHER-TIER CPF HOUSING GRANT (LIVING NEAR PARENTS)

We refer to your email of 4 Sep 2012 appealing for the higher-tier CPF Housing Grant for the purchase of your resale flat at Blk xxx.

2 We note that you and wife, Mdm xx submitted an application to purchase the flat on 16 May 2012. You have applied for the higher-tier CPF Housing Grant for Family of $30,000 (for SC/SPR Household) to live near your parents-in-law who are residing at Blk xx. The resale first appointment was scheduled on 6 Jul 2012.

3 Under our current resale procedure, we require the parents of applicants who wish to apply for the higher-tier CPF Housing Grant (living near parents) to be present during the resale first appointment. This is because our officer need to explain to them the binding terms and conditions of the CPF Housing Grant Scheme before they sign personally on the housing grant Application Form and Agreement in the presence of our officer.

4 During the first appointment, you informed our resale officer, Mr Chxx that your parents-in-law were not able to attend the first appointment interview as they were overseas. Mr Chxx explained to you that HDB would not be able to approve your application for the higher-tier CPF housing grant if your parents-in-law did not sign the relevant documents to confirm their acceptance of the terms & conditions under the scheme. He then suggested that you to postpone the first appointment till your parents-in-law return to Singapore. However, you did not want to postpone the first appointment to a later date as you wanted to complete the resale transaction as soon as possible. Mr Chxx therefore advised you to consider applying for the lower-tier family housing grant of $20,000 instead. We understand that you are agreeable to it and signed an undertaking to confirm your decision. With your confirmation, Mr Chxx proceeded to process your application and the resale transaction was completed on 17 Aug 2012.

5 We have considered your appeal carefully but regret that we are unable to accede to it. This is because the CPF housing grant is not given retrospectively to those who have already completed the purchase of the resale flat or who become eligible after the purchase.

6 We hope the above clarifies. If you need any clarifications, you may contact me at

Yours sincerely,

CH-- XX

PRINCIPAL ESTATE MANAGER

RESALE OPERATIONS SECTION

ESTATE ADMIN & PROPERTY GROUP

HOUSING & DEVELOPMENT BOARD

SO Guys,

1. Nothin is stated that I'm appealing for Grant. This is a complain letter to why hdb website nor the letter state anything about presence of inlaws. and why the officer was so rude. I would expect some form of apology and changes to HDB website and letter.

2. '"Under our current resale procedure, we require the parents of applicants who wish to apply for the higher-tier CPF Housing Grant (living near parents) to be present during the resale first appointment""-

How do we know the current resale procedure if its not even stated in the letter or website? If it is stated in the letter, i would arrange another day for the appt so that my inlaws can be present. And I've asked all property agents I know of, that it is not necessary for parents to be present.

3. "This is because our officer need to explain to them the binding terms and conditions of the CPF Housing Grant Scheme before they sign personally on the housing grant Application Form and Agreement in the presence of our officer." - So they are saying a lawyer is unable to explain the details to my in laws?

Has anyone faced the same problem?

I'm planning to esclate this to make sure no other future applicants will face this problem due to HDB error.

Thank you guys for reading.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

U don't have agent?

Has anyone faced the same problem?

NO.

B'coz it is known.

If take near parent grant. The parents need to attend the 1st appointment. B'coz they need to sigh. As they need to be told.

B'coz their child took near parent grant. They cannot move house for the next 5 yrs.

If the parent not there and HDB officer didn't explain to them.

Later they want to sell house and HDB reject.

They will complain again.

SAY WHY HDB NEVER TOLD THEM.

U don't have agent?

NO.

B'coz it is known.

If take near parent grant. The parents need to attend the 1st appointment. B'coz they need to sigh. As they need to be told.

B'coz their child took near parent grant. They cannot move house for the next 5 yrs.

If the parent not there and HDB officer didn't explain to them.

Later they want to sell house and HDB reject.

They will complain again.

SAY WHY HDB NEVER TOLD THEM.

but how is it known? if it is not stated in the letter or website?

agent has sold hdb so many times and it is never a requirement that parents got to be there. even the receptionist at hdb also say not required.

I think I read it somewhere.. Along this is my thought.

But you are right. I can't find anything mention it in HDB.

I notice you had post the same topic at HWZ, wait for vinz to come to your thread.

Many yr back, my near parent grant was rejected due to some grandfather story.

That time, i also very angry but can't do anything as.. it is due to my spouse family issue.

:bangwall:

I think I read it somewhere.. Along this is my thought.

But you are right. I can't find anything mention it in HDB.

I notice you had post the same topic at HWZ, wait for vinz to come to your thread.

Many yr back, my near parent grant was rejected due to some grandfather story.

That time, i also very angry but can't do anything as.. it is due to my spouse family issue.

:bangwall:

I'm angry too. If I know that in laws got to be there, i'll bring them. but letter didnt state anything. And right now, i'm not even appealing, I'm just asking for HDB to aknowledge the error, edit their web and letter, and also the officer to apologise for his rude behaviour,so that someone else will not face the same problem. but it seems that another officer just wants to cover their own back. This make me even angrier. I dare him to even vouch that all his officers make sure that the all applicants parents are present to sign the papers and not let them bring the papers back home.

I'm just asking for HDB to aknowledge the error, edit their web and letter,

Please see the HDB website link below :

Resale procedures

I cut and paste the details from the page here :

" HDB will send a letter to both the buyer and the seller confirming the date and time of their First Appointment to process their resale transaction. If either the buyer or the seller does not turn up for the First Appointment as scheduled, the resale transaction will be cancelled.

If you are applying for any of the following grants, the parents/married children must also be present during the first appointment along with you.

CPF Housing Grant for Family (Living Near Parents/Married Child)

CPF Housing Grant For Singles (Living With Parents)"

Edited by jaykr

Great that is stated in the web, but then again, why is it not stated on my first appt letter?

Hi Charles,

This is not new. I got parent grant 8 years ago and my parents need to follow me to HDB because this will affect them as in they can't sell flat within the next 5 years and HDB need them to understand and agreed to the requirements.

Hi Charles,

This is not new. I got parent grant 8 years ago and my parents need to follow me to HDB because this will affect them as in they can't sell flat within the next 5 years and HDB need them to understand and agreed to the requirements.

Hi, thank you everyone forget your reply i understand the reason why hdb require the presence of them around. but but why is the appt letter not stated if it is so crucial? On top of that, the officer was so rude not just to me but also the property agent. And why is a lawyer unable to explain the letter ? I reply the email as follow.

We refer to your email of 11 Sep 2012

1) I did not appeal for the higher-tier CPF Housing Grant. The letter sent to you is a letter of complaint as to why the first appt letter did NOT state anything about presence of in-laws and why the officer was so rude. I expect some form of apology and explanation as to why the HDB first appt letter did not have such crucial information. 

2) We were not informed that the parents of applicants must be present during the resale first appointment; it is not even stated in the letter. If we had been informed properly, I would arrange another day for the appointment so that my in-laws can be present.

3) You stated that the parents in-law must be present because your officer need to explain to them the binding terms and conditions of the CPF Housing Grant Scheme before they sign personally on the housing grant Application Form and Agreement in the presence of our officer. A lawyer could have been engaged to explain the details to my in-laws. Why isn't that sufficient?

Best regard,

Hi, thank you everyone forget your reply i understand the reason why hdb require the presence of them around. but but why is the appt letter not stated if it is so crucial? On top of that, the officer was so rude not just to me but also the property agent. And why is a lawyer unable to explain the letter ? I reply the email as follow.

We refer to your email of 11 Sep 2012

1) I did not appeal for the higher-tier CPF Housing Grant. The letter sent to you is a letter of complaint as to why the first appt letter did NOT state anything about presence of in-laws and why the officer was so rude. I expect some form of apology and explanation as to why the HDB first appt letter did not have such crucial information. 

2) We were not informed that the parents of applicants must be present during the resale first appointment; it is not even stated in the letter. If we had been informed properly, I would arrange another day for the appointment so that my in-laws can be present.

3) You stated that the parents in-law must be present because your officer need to explain to them the binding terms and conditions of the CPF Housing Grant Scheme before they sign personally on the housing grant Application Form and Agreement in the presence of our officer. A lawyer could have been engaged to explain the details to my in-laws. Why isn't that sufficient?

Best regard,

yes, i understand why you were not happy with HDB. The officer was rude as you mentioned. i guess when things like this happened, we expect some sympathy and understanding, not more rudeness. i also don't like people that are rude especially sometimes we are not familar with the rules and regulations.

hope hdb will apologise and improves itself.....