Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
summersann

The Experience: Our First Home

A great transformation indeed for an EM...... Beautiful beyond words. I like your superbig MBR with the additional windows facing staircase..... Similar to one landed property I viewed recently. It's also a great way to maximize space under staircase with the pull-out drawers concept! Nice :))

Edited by potatoes

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

hi summersann, the staircase storage is a very nice feature!

how much are you charged for this excluding the other staircase jobs (flooring and railings)? thanks!

Eh... that's a good question! I have no clue :P I think it may be below the shelves? I only know it's Blum, does that help? It's soft closing and the shelves are heavy (if you compare to normal drawers) but not too heavy (I can easily open the shelves on my own and I'm rather small in size). I'm going down again on Friday to rectify some stuff so I'll remind myself to find out! :D

Wow! Do u need a heavy duty Blum drawer for the shelve? By the way, the internal is using PVC white? Hmm.. Gonna take note, since the shelve is close under the staircase, chances high that the PVC white may turn yellow over time.

What is the customise powder coat colour of your window?

Vote for white skirting.. :sport-smiley-004:

You know I would go for the black stickers to remain on the windows with the black handles...it adds a lot of contrast and jazz up the windows :)

White skirting looks better than the usual skirting!

I like the black strips, but I think you should just leave the thinnest ones directly next to the glass panels. As for the skirting, I tend to think white would look better as I've seen a few homes with wood floors and white skirting and they go well with the Scandinavian theme.

Thank you for your opinion! We're going to see how "sticky" the thin strips are and decide if it's feasible to leave the stickers there (because if the sticker will peel eventually, our handles would still be in black, which would then look odd :P).

I think white skirting for the whole house will look nice for your different wood flooring.

For the windows, I would remove all the black stickers. I think the off-white frames go better with your interior. If you don't plan to paint the black handles, just leave them as they are.

Thank you for your suggestion too! You think the black handles are alright, even with the whole window white?

Wow I just finished reading the whole thread and I have to say that you are constructing a beautiful home for yourself, summersann :)

Totally gonna camp here to see the results! :good:

Thank you for the compliment! I can only hope it does turn out the way I want it to. So stressful! :rolleyes:

A great transformation indeed for an EM...... Beautiful beyond words. I like your superbig MBR with the additional windows facing staircase..... Similar to one landed property I viewed recently. It's also a great way to maximize space under staircase with the pull-out drawers concept! Nice :))

Hi potatoes! Thank you so much for your compliment! I always read your comments in the EM t-blogs :) We quite liked the pull-out drawers when our IDs suggested it to us. Like you, they stressed on how it was a smarter way of utilizing every corner :D

hi summersann, the staircase storage is a very nice feature!

how much are you charged for this excluding the other staircase jobs (flooring and railings)? thanks!

Eh... in our quotation, the pull-out deep drawers for the staircase is under Carpentry, and it's $1450. The IDs charged according to the length (per foot run?). The Blum hinges and tracks for these drawers was $60 (including GST) in total.

Wow! Do u need a heavy duty Blum drawer for the shelve? By the way, the internal is using PVC white? Hmm.. Gonna take note, since the shelve is close under the staircase, chances high that the PVC white may turn yellow over time.

What is the customise powder coat colour of your window?

Vote for white skirting.. :sport-smiley-004:

I can't quite remember what drawer we used! But the Blum quotation has 170 degree hinges, Blumotion and Mounting Plates. Haha, I am so noob :P And yah, the internals are PVC white. Didn't laminate it because the drawers are laminated white to go with the staircase risers, so we left the internals PVC white as well. It'll probably yellow (and get small stains) with time like the PVC internals in my mom's house. But it's storage, so out of sight, out of mind! Hahaha :sport-smiley-004:

Eh... the customized powder coat for the windows are off-white, to match the paint on the wall. We chose Wedding White from ICI Dulux for the walls.

Another vote for white skirting! :D

You know I would go for the black stickers to remain on the windows with the black handles...it adds a lot of contrast and jazz up the windows :)

White skirting looks better than the usual skirting!

Hahaha, Makanology, yes I know you would. I'm going to look out for pictures of your funky window in your t-blog! :D

Nice staircase storage :dribble: able to pm me some of the quotes tat u got during the selection of ID...just wan to do some compare...thks :yamseng:

4 votes for white skirting! :D

Mixed reviews about the windows :dunno:

More opinions welcomed! Thank you so much to those who took the time out to read and comment :good:

White skirting is nice to have but hard to maintain for long period.

1. I think white handles would go better!

2. b, paint the skirting white... I can visualise quite well because we'll have similar flooring right? :notti: But I dunno about maintenance... I'm hacking my wood skirting to replace with another colour that matches my flooring

2.5 I'm the more traditional sort, prefer to be 'orbiang' lol

3. none of the above, get roller blinds!!! (biased, because that's what I'm getting lol)

Edited by SeirenGrey

I will go for white hehehe

Current vote: 5! Thank you for contributing! :)

love your staircase storage!!!

Thank you! We just wanted to make sure that we had enough storage in the house so that we can keep it from looking cluttered!

Nice staircase storage :dribble: able to pm me some of the quotes tat u got during the selection of ID...just wan to do some compare...thks :yamseng:

PM-ed you!

White skirting is nice to have but hard to maintain for long period.

Yeah, we considered many options, but decided that it was more important that we pick what is nicer. We can touch up on our own when it gets too dirty to tahan :P

1. I think white handles would go better!

2. b, paint the skirting white... I can visualise quite well because we'll have similar flooring right? :notti: But I dunno about maintenance... I'm hacking my wood skirting to replace with another colour that matches my flooring

2.5 I'm the more traditional sort, prefer to be 'orbiang' lol

3. none of the above, get roller blinds!!! (biased, because that's what I'm getting lol)

Thank you SeirenGrey! Our curtain problem was solved quite soon after I posted about the problem, hahaha. But no roller blinds installed, oops :drunk: But roller blinds are quite sleek! Saw them all around and initially wanted them. But they don't quite go with our house's general look, so we went for venetian blinds & curtains instead. Looking forward to more pictures of your place once renovations start! :D

7 votes for white skirting so far! Looks like that's what we shall be doing :D Shall meet the ID tomorrow and finalize this. IDs also informed us that we can go through the areas that we want rectified tomorrow when we meet. Wow, sounds like more has been done since we last went to our place on Sunday (otherwise, why would they do rectification so soon).

On another note, went to Robinsons Centrepoint today to make full payment for the mattress. Cannot believe what happened to us (again!). 2 weeks ago, Robinsons Raffles City called us up to inform that if we went down to make full payment for my mom's simmons mattress, we get a complimentary nespresso U machine. So okay we did, and we got a nespresso machine. But our friend had already bought the same U machine for us as a wedding gift! :bangwall: (which also explains why I still have a brand new Nespresso U that's sitting in its box, waiting for someone to want it :unsure: ) And now for the best part. Today, as we were sitting at the mattress counter at Robinsons Centrepoint, making full payment for our own mattress (because delivery is next week), the salesperson happily said to us, "Hold on while I process the payment and get your complimentary coffee machine." :jawdrop::drunk: ANOTHER ONE? Seriously, are Nespresso machines that cheap or something?! zz This time, we got a Nespresso Pixie. It would have been :dancingqueen: if it was another Nespresso U.

:dunno: