Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
bigbull

Blessed Nest @ Punggol

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

hi Bigbull, is veneer flooring cheaper or laminated flooring cheaper? my current tiles likely are not suitable for Scandinavian look, so I'm thinking whether to overlay it with laminated or veneer. which one are better other than cost perspective. thanks and sorry for the noob questions.

Hi bigbull, the veneer looks very much like mine. Thought I could give u a look at what it looks like done up.

This one is in the day

5CDB5BA5-95AF-4B16-84D7-7E3CFB0615EF-65155-00001199F71F7D71.jpg

This is in the night with the lights on

5F0035CA-1EE1-49A9-AC99-2DAC8A1D2673-65155-0000119A18C12947.jpg

hi Bigbull, is veneer flooring cheaper or laminated flooring cheaper? my current tiles likely are not suitable for Scandinavian look, so I'm thinking whether to overlay it with laminated or veneer. which one are better other than cost perspective. thanks and sorry for the noob questions.

Hi Gohlex,

Veneer flooring is slightly more expensive than laminates. Honestly, I don't quite know much about them except the following:

1. Veneer flooring has the natural look and feel of wood compared to laminated (They are imprinted on it and tend to be very glossy).

2. When you stepped on veneer flooring, it doesn't gives you the squeaking sound unlike the laminates. Some says that the squeaking sound of the laminates will go away after awhile but it doesn't seems like it coz I have a brother in law who has been staying in his house for almost 5 years now and I still hears the squeak sound when I walked on it.

If you do decided on veneer flooring, do take note that there are the thin ones as well as the thick ones. My contractor recommended using the thick one coz if we overlay on our current tiles, we might see the tiles outline on the veneer flooring after some time.

Hope this helps.

Bigbull

Hi bigbull, the veneer looks very much like mine. Thought I could give u a look at what it looks like done up.

This one is in the day

5CDB5BA5-95AF-4B16-84D7-7E3CFB0615EF-65155-00001199F71F7D71.jpg

This is in the night with the lights on

5F0035CA-1EE1-49A9-AC99-2DAC8A1D2673-65155-0000119A18C12947.jpg

Hi 3ser,

Thanks for the photos. That is so nice of you! :yamseng: Reminds me of the flooring in my apartment when I am staying in Sweden. Lovely! :thumbs up: The veneer flooring in the first photo seems slightly darker than mine. Any code number to share? In the second photo, are you using white lights?

Bigbull

Hi Bigbull, sorry but I do not have the code number.

The person who installed said this type of veneer is popular with commercial Projects such as hotels. It is waterproof unlike laminates and is easy to upkeep. I liked how the wood grain felt on my feet, it really does transform the whole feel of the house.

To answer your question,my lights are Optiled warm whites. It was my father who told me that lights will enhance the look of the floor, and that was how I decided to take this shade of color. U could try to putting ur sample under your preferred lighting to see how it will turn out.

Here's another pic of the veneer floor ending at my front door. If you notice, there is a chocolate color capping at the end. As I overlayed my floor, the installer had to trim the bottom of my doors.

6F767DB9-254A-4ACF-BE0F-B0423A7E61B6-68890-000012A061697272.jpg

Hi Gohlex,

Veneer flooring is slightly more expensive than laminates. Honestly, I don't quite know much about them except the following:

1. Veneer flooring has the natural look and feel of wood compared to laminated (They are imprinted on it and tend to be very glossy).

2. When you stepped on veneer flooring, it doesn't gives you the squeaking sound unlike the laminates. Some says that the squeaking sound of the laminates will go away after awhile but it doesn't seems like it coz I have a brother in law who has been staying in his house for almost 5 years now and I still hears the squeak sound when I walked on it.

If you do decided on veneer flooring, do take note that there are the thin ones as well as the thick ones. My contractor recommended using the thick one coz if we overlay on our current tiles, we might see the tiles outline on the veneer flooring after some time.

Hope this helps.

Bigbull

hi bigbull, thanks very much for the info. i'm now still thinking whether or not to change the living room to veneer flooring as current floor tiles might not work well with the scandi/rustic/vintage style that I'm looking for.

hi bigbull, thanks very much for the info. i'm now still thinking whether or not to change the living room to veneer flooring as current floor tiles might not work well with the scandi/rustic/vintage style that I'm looking for.

is veneer and vynil is different thing? :unsure:

This is the rough idea of my home, drawn by using a free software from Sweet Home 3D. Colour and design not exact, just for planning purposes.

3DNest_zps55b4a85a.png

Hi there, looks like a cosy place! know what, I have an almost identical space planning as yours and I have already engaged K for my reno too! Been browsing your entries and was curious about two thingy:

1. MBR Walkin wardrobe - Would it be too much to squeeze in cabinets on both side? I had intended to do one side with a 65cm walkway between the walls and the wardrobe, and the remainder of my room barely have a 50cm diameter around a queen size bed!

2. Common toilet shower area - You gonna do shower screen on both sides of the kerb? and your shower would be placed to the right of the window? =)

Heehee, anyway hope everything goes well for your reno, enjoy the process!

The person who installed said this type of veneer is popular with commercial Projects such as hotels. It is waterproof unlike laminates and is easy to upkeep. I liked how the wood grain felt on my feet, it really does transform the whole feel of the house.

To answer your question,my lights are Optiled warm whites. It was my father who told me that lights will enhance the look of the floor, and that was how I decided to take this shade of color. U could try to putting ur sample under your preferred lighting to see how it will turn out.

Here's another pic of the veneer floor ending at my front door. If you notice, there is a chocolate color capping at the end. As I overlayed my floor, the installer had to trim the bottom of my doors.

6F767DB9-254A-4ACF-BE0F-B0423A7E61B6-68890-000012A061697272.jpg

Hi 3ser,

Thanks for the valuable information. I will be trying out a few types of lighting before I decide on it. :yamseng:

Hi Gohlex,

All Scandinavian homes has timber flooring for practical reasons and their love of nature gave its unique style. If you are going strictly to scandi styles, I suppose the flooring does matter. Personally, i suppose you can adapt the style with a little bit of modern or industrial look depending on your budget and taste. At the end of the day, I think you and wife must like the home is what matters most.

Maybe you can visit Paloma and Pinkwhale's T-blogs. They retain their floor tiles and personally, I think their home is gorgeous! :thumbs up:

Bigbull

is veneer and vynil is different thing? :unsure:

Hi Redmoonlight,

I am not really into it but I think Veneer has a layer of wood (or other substitute) to give it its texture and look. You can see 3ser's reply earlier in this thread. Do you mean Vinyl? I think it is like a thick plastic sheet that is glued on the floor. Not commonly seen in Singapore. The only time I see it is in the Swedish home toilets as it is water resistant and not so cold to step on (compared to tiles) during the winter period.

Bigbull

Hi there, looks like a cosy place! know what, I have an almost identical space planning as yours and I have already engaged K for my reno too! Been browsing your entries and was curious about two thingy:

1. MBR Walkin wardrobe - Would it be too much to squeeze in cabinets on both side? I had intended to do one side with a 65cm walkway between the walls and the wardrobe, and the remainder of my room barely have a 50cm diameter around a queen size bed!

2. Common toilet shower area - You gonna do shower screen on both sides of the kerb? and your shower would be placed to the right of the window? =)

Heehee, anyway hope everything goes well for your reno, enjoy the process!

Hi Justinyeo,

K is quite a friendly guy although he doesn't look one. :sport-smiley-004: haha. Feel free to ask him for his opinion.

For my WIW in MBR, I have approximately 70cm or slightly more between the cabinets. And yes, you are right about the tight spacing beside the Queen size bed if you choose to put it in the center of the remaining space. Thus, my wife and I decided to shift the bed all the way to the WIW and have a small bedside table between the bed and the window.

For the common toilet area, its everything you mentioned. :thumbs up:

My renovation is slowing down because of my last minute insertion of the overlaying of tiles in the Common toilet. Hopefully, the shower screens can be up by next week. I will post a picture of it when its up so you can see. Remind him when you see him ya. :P

Best wishes in your reno. :yamseng:

Bigbull

hi 3ser,

what brand of your veneer flooring? and how long it has been installed?

TIA :yamseng:

Hi Redmoonlight,

I am not really into it but I think Veneer has a layer of wood (or other substitute) to give it its texture and look. You can see 3ser's reply earlier in this thread. Do you mean Vinyl? I think it is like a thick plastic sheet that is glued on the floor. Not commonly seen in Singapore. The only time I see it is in the Swedish home toilets as it is water resistant and not so cold to step on (compared to tiles) during the winter period.

Bigbull

thanks bigbull :yamseng:

Hi Gohlex,

All Scandinavian homes has timber flooring for practical reasons and their love of nature gave its unique style. If you are going strictly to scandi styles, I suppose the flooring does matter. Personally, i suppose you can adapt the style with a little bit of modern or industrial look depending on your budget and taste. At the end of the day, I think you and wife must like the home is what matters most.

Maybe you can visit Paloma and Pinkwhale's T-blogs. They retain their floor tiles and personally, I think their home is gorgeous! :thumbs up:

Bigbull

Ya, I did visited their tblog, gorgeous home indeed. just that my floor tile is beige/creamy color rather than white..so i'm still trying to makeup my mind.

by the way, I've meet up with K recently and still waiting for his quotation for our reno, usually how long he takes to reply you with quote?