Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
bleucheeze

When Industrial Meets Mid Century Mod

Quite disturbing to see this - two vertical beam-like thingy were not hacked. I got a bad feeling that these are beam which are not hackable :(

P3020174_circle_zps95082ff1.jpg

The left circled part is right beside where my island is. I plan to have an open shelving next to the island, where I can store my hand-brew coffee equipment etc. The right circle part is not supposed to be there. That is actually my new doorway into the kitchen. If you scroll up a few pix above, there is a photo showing a clearer angle of the doorway.

These two beams are really an eyesore now. Not sure what can I do with them? And if the right beam is really not hackable, I'd have to build my island all the way across the entire length which I feel is a tad too long. My initial plan is to build the island approximately 3/4 across.

Now waiting for my contractor to visit the site and advice us accordingly. Keeping my fingers crossed. :dunno::help:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

yeh...metallic type...actually someone on renotalk did his whole kitchen in reflective silver laminate and i thought it look gorgeous! especially if you have the right things to reflect (your tiles)...:) anyway, burnt orange is a super cool colour too! complements your tiles. :)

i think beams can be used creatively! can buy squarish shelves (ikea lack shelves) and build a small storage area, can hang pictures/photos, use them as lighting anchors (who says lights must always be fixed to the ceilings?) :)

yeh...metallic type...actually someone on renotalk did his whole kitchen in reflective silver laminate and i thought it look gorgeous! especially if you have the right things to reflect (your tiles)...:) anyway, burnt orange is a super cool colour too! complements your tiles. :)

Wa, i must go find the reflective silver project out! If both the top and bottom cabinet are burnt orange in colour, is it too over?

Thanks for your tips on beams. I shall go do some research.

Quite disturbing to see this - two vertical beam-like thingy were not hacked. I got a bad feeling that these are beam which are not hackable :(

The left circled part is right beside where my island is. I plan to have an open shelving next to the island, where I can store my hand-brew coffee equipment etc. The right circle part is not supposed to be there. That is actually my new doorway into the kitchen. If you scroll up a few pix above, there is a photo showing a clearer angle of the doorway.

These two beams are really an eyesore now. Not sure what can I do with them? And if the right beam is really not hackable, I'd have to build my island all the way across the entire length which I feel is a tad too long. My initial plan is to build the island approximately 3/4 across.

Now waiting for my contractor to visit the site and advice us accordingly. Keeping my fingers crossed. :dunno::help:

That's too bad indeed! Did you obtain PE endorsement to hack all those walls away? Nothing was said about those 2 beams? If they are structural beams, the PE should have informed you :(

I also read about a forumer who initially planned to use silver laminate. The 3D looked really nice, but he had to give up because the laminate he picked was way to ex, maybe about 4 times more than normal :jawdrop:

I also read about a forumer who initially planned to use silver laminate. The 3D looked really nice, but he had to give up because the laminate he picked was way to ex, maybe about 4 times more than normal :jawdrop:

yupyup... if i'm not wrong, the reflective laminates are priced at $250 - $280 per sq ft. This is from the laminates catalogue my contractor passed me.

That's too bad indeed! Did you obtain PE endorsement to hack all those walls away? Nothing was said about those 2 beams? If they are structural beams, the PE should have informed you :(

No leh... Shall wait for what my contractor says...

Which few laminate brands are good quality for carpentry? Good quality as in durable and for white laminate, it doesn't turn yellowish over time.

Which few laminate brands are good quality for carpentry? Good quality as in durable and for white laminate, it doesn't turn yellowish over time.

My contractor told me all will turn yellowish after 3 years due to oxidization.

YUMMY!!!!!

I think you can definitely work a white kitchen with those tiles!!! It'll be so cheerful to cook in!

I'm actually looking for some real antique ones I want to mount on canvas as art for my kitchen!

Nice! Initially I wanted something like this too, but the contractor bought me to soon bee huat, which don't have. I think these look nice as backsplash too. Or mix with some plain ones in between for flooring...

My contractor told me all will turn yellowish after 3 years due to oxidization.

=( serious? i'm doing white too leh...

Mayb if very careful n keep dry will be ok for very long? I got a colleague who did white glossy laminate, coming to 3 years, she say didn't turn yellowish. Anyway I also do white juz that its matt not glossy. The contractor say if turn yellowish will look creamy. Btw, he say all color will change, whether its white or not.

Nice! Initially I wanted something like this too, but the contractor bought me to soon bee huat, which don't have. I think these look nice as backsplash too. Or mix with some plain ones in between for flooring...

The one i chose is too big to mix with plain tiles.. unless your space is super big. Hehe.

Mayb if very careful n keep dry will be ok for very long? I got a colleague who did white glossy laminate, coming to 3 years, she say didn't turn yellowish. Anyway I also do white juz that its matt not glossy. The contractor say if turn yellowish will look creamy. Btw, he say all color will change, whether its white or not.

Hmm... :dunno:

I am thinking of ways to dress up that vertical beam/post on the right side. Quite weird to leave it on its own, no?

Perhaps can increase the width of it, like build a joining extension to its left. So my island will span across the entire length of the space. Then dress up the post with some cooking related art prints? Or fix this Lack wall shelf and display some cooking related vintage items on it? I have already collected a few pieces!

http://www.ikea.com/sg/en/catalog/products/90171361/#/50171363

And for my island side facing outside/ dining area, should I go with the same laminate as the rest of the kitchen bottom cabinet? Or lay tiles on it? Either peranakan tiles (same as my kitchen floor tile), white subway tiles (same as my backsplash/wall tiles) or 10x10cm white square tiles (same tile as my kitchen bottom cabinet base)?

Edited by bleucheeze