Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
bleucheeze

When Industrial Meets Mid Century Mod

I've been surfing RenoTalk since we began searching for our ideal home. Really inspired by some of the wonderful projects here. :paint: We managed to find a unit we like within a short time and decided to get it almost on the spot!

Will be getting keys in late Feb next year. And I've been researching here almost everyday. I know I am kiasu, but will be meeting a contractor end of this month, and hopefully can get a few quotations from other contractors as well.

I have learned a lot from fellow forumers here. It's particularly beneficial for first-time home owner like myself to follow through t-blogs. Thus I hope to be able to share our renovation journey here too. Would also appreciate advice and suggestions from experienced forumers here. Thanks in advance! :)

floorplan.png

This is the floorplan we got. Unfortunately it doesn't come with any measurements. I suspect it's not drawn to scale also.

first-design.jpg

Played around with Floorplanner and got this.

As the mbr is rather small, I hope to hack the wall between study and mbr, and convert the former study space to house our wardrobes.

Also hope to hack the kitchen wall near entrance so as to enlarge the kitchen space and hopefully to bring more light in.

To be honest, I'm not sure if these walls are hackable, but will ask contractor to check when we visit end of this month :)

Edited by bleucheeze

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

The theme I have in mind is something industrial/lofty, with elements of brick wall, rugged looking lamps, track lights etc. As I love mid century mod furniture, particularly the sexy pencil legs, hope to incorporate this as well. Hope to also add in some vintage touch here and there.

Enough talking, shall post some photos which inspired me. Some photos may look familiar as I got them from dear fellow forumers, but rest assured that I won't be 'eating' up your bandwidth. I took the liberty to upload them to my own album :sport-smiley-004:

630d01727e145fe270778f7cb0bc16a7.jpg

LovenestCasalivingroom.jpg

LovenestCasaliving.jpg

Above two pic from theitsybit's t-blog

Palomaliving.jpg

Above pic from paloma's t-blog

Edited by bleucheeze

For our living room, we plan to have a off-white brick wall behind the sofa. Current flooring is compressed marble which I feel doesn't fit into our theme, so might be changing to homogenous tiles with wood-like pattern, similar to what Pinkwhale has. This will extend along the passageway leading into the rooms. As our rooms already come with timber flooring (dark brown tone), should we match a similar colour for tiles in living room and kitchen? Or should we use lighter brown tiles, so that living room will look brighter overall? Any advice?

As we have limited budget, may be getting a cheap ikea sofa first, then hopefully buy a better piece when we have more cash. :P Should we get this: klippan-two-seat-sofa__0148161_PE306444_S4.jpg or klippan-two-seat-sofa__0139211_PE298967_S4.jpg ?

Coffee table will be something simple, probably a teak rectangle with pencil legs.

Not too sure about our TV console though. Should we go for something more industrial looking (wood+steel)....

CB2prime-media-console.jpg2slidingdoor.png2flipdoor.png

...or more mid century modern looking (pencil or tapered legs I love :wub:)?

row_sb005_0.jpg4drawertvchest.png

nice layout!

seems like you can only hack 1/2 of the study's wall from the floorplan thou.

Finally got someone reply :P Hmm, I thought usually black thick lines mean cannot hack? Anyway, hope can combine the study and mbr somehow... Will ask contractor to check.

Any idea if kitchen sink's position can be shifted? don't like the current position, makes the working triangle quite big...

ouh ya another quick questions - where you got those woodgrain tv console? all very nice lei... mind to share the shop address/website?

bought mine from beds.sg but the above tv consoles are more nicer!!! :jawdrop:

ouh ya another quick questions - where you got those woodgrain tv console? all very nice lei... mind to share the shop address/website?

bought mine from beds.sg but the above tv consoles are more nicer!!! :jawdrop:

Haven't confirm contractor yet, meeting the first contractor end of this month :)

The first tv console (with the metal legs) is from CB2, they are opening in Singapore in Dec, but I'm not sure if they will carry this model. Shortlist first! lol

2nd, 3rd and 5th are from Mountain Teak. 4th one with pencil legs is from Room of Woods :wub: . I haven't seen the real thing at this moment, all based on online research :sport-smiley-018: Hopefully can go view them soon. Will update here again!

The theme I have in mind is something industrial/lofty, with elements of brick wall, rugged looking lamps, track lights etc. As I love mid century mod furniture, particularly the sexy pencil legs, hope to incorporate this as well. Hope to also add in some vintage touch here and there.

Enough talking, shall post some photos which inspired me. Some photos may look familiar as I got them from dear fellow forumers, but rest assured that I won't be 'eating' up your bandwidth. I took the liberty to upload them to my own album :sport-smiley-004:

630d01727e145fe270778f7cb0bc16a7.jpg

LovenestCasalivingroom.jpg

LovenestCasaliving.jpg

Above two pic from pinkwhale's t-blog

I think these pics are from theitsybits.

Finally got someone reply :P Hmm, I thought usually black thick lines mean cannot hack? Anyway, hope can combine the study and mbr somehow... Will ask contractor to check.

Any idea if kitchen sink's position can be shifted? don't like the current position, makes the working triangle quite big...

I don't see any thick black lines in your original floorplan in the first post leh. only see fat hollow walls and thin hollow walls, so i assume thin hollow ones are not the building's beam.

Confirm can shift. just re-route the water in pipe and waste out pipe. it's just a matter of if the pipings can be concealed since they will be longer. Also practicality - if the pipings need maintenance, the plumber must be able to access them. so if the pipings run for too long, u have to sacrifice some space to build access to them.

I don't see any thick black lines in your original floorplan in the first post leh. only see fat hollow walls and thin hollow walls, so i assume thin hollow ones are not the building's beam.

Confirm can shift. just re-route the water in pipe and waste out pipe. it's just a matter of if the pipings can be concealed since they will be longer. Also practicality - if the pipings need maintenance, the plumber must be able to access them. so if the pipings run for too long, u have to sacrifice some space to build access to them.

I'm not familiar with floorplan... Thanks, now I know fat hollow walls are structural beams. Looks Like have to create a 'doorway' from mbr into wardrobe area (current study room).

I'm not familiar with floorplan... Thanks, now I know fat hollow walls are structural beams. Looks Like have to create a 'doorway' from mbr into wardrobe area (current study room).

The study looks like it can be converted into a really cool walk in wardrobe, and if it allows, maybe your dressing table too :D

The study looks like it can be converted into a really cool walk in wardrobe, and if it allows, maybe your dressing table too :D

Yah, that's sorta what I have in mind! But I don't intend to make it a total open wardrobe, cos scared of dust and that room has floor to ceiling window.