Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
bleucheeze

When Industrial Meets Mid Century Mod

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Thanks for your well wishes! Happy to see you drop by my t-blog, got lotsa inspiration from yours! :)

How's the sofa going for you, everything ok? It's on my sofa shortlist :sport-smiley-018:

i flock to mid-modern/industrial/scandinavian blogs..still looking for ideas.. :D

i love my sofa! it's really comfy and i fall asleep on it often..

i think it's a good piece for a balance between comfort and mid-modern style..as much as i love those mid-modern sofas, they are usually so uncomfortable and only for sitting, not falling asleep or lounging in them..plus it's cheap..more budget for the other wood furniture.. :P

Will be having our first contractor meeting next week. Is there anything to prepare, or anything to take note of?

Prepare lots of photos to show so they know what you want. We put everything on PowerPoint slides with pictures, and nots of what will be in that room eg, TV in mbr or not, etc

Prepare lots of photos to show so they know what you want. We put everything on PowerPoint slides with pictures, and nots of what will be in that room eg, TV in mbr or not, etc

Powerpoint! You power :good:

Some inspiration for kitchen...

LovenestCasakitchen.jpg

LovenestCasakitchendimension.jpg

6996138796_7ec1039e76_z.jpg

JU4.jpg

Should I have the wood-like tiles from living room extend all the way into the kitchen? This creates a better flow I feel, and will blend in better with the half open kitchen concept, similar to what itsybits did for her kitchen as shown in pic 1 & 2 above.

I'm also open to using grey tiles that resembles cement-screed flooring. But will this make the kitchen appear darker than it is? The current kitchen is quite dark, would prefer to create a more airy, bright feel.

In a dilemma also cos the floor colour will affect my kitchen cabinet colours. :dunno: I plan to have top and bottom cabinets on the longer side of kitchen, and bottom cabinet on the shorter side. Ideally, I'd like wood laminate on all the cabinets, combined with white kitchen counter top and white subway tile as backsplash. However, if I were to choose wood-like tiles in the kitchen, I am afraid the kitchen will appear too "woody". No problems if I use grey tiles...

Another alternative is to use white glossy laminate on all cabinets. Or use only white on bottom cabinet, and wood laminate on top cabinets - but will this become too "top heavy"?

Will appreciate your advice! :bow:

Hi I had the same dilemma when I was choosing my kitchen tiles.

Eventually I went for grey tiles as I really wanted wood laminated bottom cabinets.

So I guess it depends on how much you really want wood laminated cabinets.

It also helped that I found a grey tile I really love but had no where to use it :)

Cement screed colour usually veers towards medium to lighter grey, so it may not be too dark.

Hi I had the same dilemma when I was choosing my kitchen tiles.

Eventually I went for grey tiles as I really wanted wood laminated bottom cabinets.

So I guess it depends on how much you really want wood laminated cabinets.

It also helped that I found a grey tile I really love but had no where to use it :)

Cement screed colour usually veers towards medium to lighter grey, so it may not be too dark.

Hey minchul, thanks for sharing. Sorry that i missed out your reply!

I'm leaning towards wood grain tile and perhaps lighter brown cabinet, or bottom brown, top white :)

Some inspiration for kitchen...

LovenestCasakitchen.jpg

LovenestCasakitchendimension.jpg

6996138796_7ec1039e76_z.jpg

JU4.jpg

Should I have the wood-like tiles from living room extend all the way into the kitchen? This creates a better flow I feel, and will blend in better with the half open kitchen concept, similar to what itsybits did for her kitchen as shown in pic 1 & 2 above.

I'm also open to using grey tiles that resembles cement-screed flooring. But will this make the kitchen appear darker than it is? The current kitchen is quite dark, would prefer to create a more airy, bright feel.

In a dilemma also cos the floor colour will affect my kitchen cabinet colours. :dunno: I plan to have top and bottom cabinets on the longer side of kitchen, and bottom cabinet on the shorter side. Ideally, I'd like wood laminate on all the cabinets, combined with white kitchen counter top and white subway tile as backsplash. However, if I were to choose wood-like tiles in the kitchen, I am afraid the kitchen will appear too "woody". No problems if I use grey tiles...

Another alternative is to use white glossy laminate on all cabinets. Or use only white on bottom cabinet, and wood laminate on top cabinets - but will this become too "top heavy"?

Will appreciate your advice! :bow:

Lol I've saved that photo with the pink smegg fridge to my pinterest board - love it! Thats exactly what i did - went with grey tiles and wood cabinets on the bottom, white glossy on top with white subway tile backsplash and white solid top. Really had a hard time making a decision and was still changing my mind even till the day my contractor ordered the cabinets!! Lol. Will post when my cabinets are up later this week, fingers crossed it turns out nice..

Initially chose tiles that resemble concrete screed but later changed my mind again and went with a Matt, flat light grey tile. If your walls are white I don't think it'll be too dark. I wouldn't suggest wood tile + wood bottom cabinets though. If you want to go with the wood tiles, I think you should keep to all white cabinets.. And maybe go with a wood top? Or wood laminate frame + white doors (what I initially was going to go with)

Seems reasonable, don't think for condo and HDB got any difference.

Ask contractor what happens if price of tile is more than $3 dollars I guess, how much more if it's $3.50 etc. Based on my very limited experience at Hafary and the rest of the tile shops along that row, not that many $3 dollar tiles to choose from. :P

As for the craftstone, are you doing the whole living room or just one wall? For one wall it's a little bit expensive i think.

Seems reasonable, don't think for condo and HDB got any difference.

Ask contractor what happens if price of tile is more than $3 dollars I guess, how much more if it's $3.50 etc. Based on my very limited experience at Hafary and the rest of the tile shops along that row, not that many $3 dollar tiles to choose from. :P

As for the craftstone, are you doing the whole living room or just one wall? For one wall it's a little bit expensive i think.

Ya, I think the craftstone one is kinda expensive, and the quotation of $1600 (ignore the other figure) is just for tiling labour, cos I intend to supply the craftbricks.

Is there suppose to be "haulage" thing in the list? And I don't see things like installation of hob, hood, oven, ceiling fans etc. Should ask contractor to include?

$1600 just for tiling? it's expensive..i thought it's $1600 for the bricks and the other figure for labour. Then again, no idea how big your wall/room is.

I think you should ask your contractor about labour costs for installation of items. Most contractors factor that into the quotation, but better make sure.

Make a slight amendment to the first quotation posted earlier. This is from a contractor and is for condo project. Will greatly appreciate comments/feedback from fellow forumers. Any part that is overly expensive, or missing from the list?

quote1a.jpg

Edited by bleucheeze

Hi bleucheeze, finally got chance to read ur blog... Impressive inspirations, i should say....

Regarding the quartz countertop, would the contractor state any particular brand? How thick is the profile? 20mm,40mm?

Maybe before signing any document, try to get the itsy bitsy details in the contract written down so as to avoid any dispute( like, 'never say in the contract, what... U want, need to charge extra...' or things like that).

Enjoy the selection process, ya... :yamseng:

Received quotation from another contractor. Quite a huge price difference from first one. However, first one uses blum & living room tiles is quoted based on what I want (which I suspect is higher workmanship cost), whereas second one doesn't incl blum and the quotation is not based on the tiles i want. Second quotation include installation of lights, fans, hood, hob etc, which are missing from first quotation.

All comments and advice are welcomed! Thanks!! :sport-smiley-018:

quote2a.jpg

quote2b.jpg

quote2c.jpg