Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
isla

Kitchen Countertop

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi I am using the one frm Lian Hin, if I am not wrong, strongly recommended by my ID. So far so good and I liked the design from.

Paying $140/sqf

Where is the quartz made from?

I read that Silestone is one of the top Quartz maker. There is one shop called Builder Shop in Changi that carries this.

Need to find out frm my ID. Using granite for my vanity top as I prefer dark colored. Solid surface top even though is cheaper however it is not scratch- proof

Need to find out frm my ID. Using granite for my vanity top as I prefer dark colored. Solid surface top even though is cheaper however it is not scratch- proof

I also have my quartz counter top from Lian Hin. I believe my contractor did mention it is the material is from China but it's as durable as those that claimed to be be made from Europe. Reason being that at the end of the day how durable a item/material is depends on the user.

So many people want to buy quartz that are made in Europe but how can you be 100% sure that yours is? Cost wise, it would cost 30-40% more for same material but if it's made in Europe as one has to factor in the import tax, shipment cost etc.

There is a saying '羊毛出在羊身上'. Metaphor somewhere to spend still be retrieved from somewhere. You pay for what you get.

Edited by kooky

i find that the solid surface from LG is very durable and way more cleaner and hygienic than the rest, have used most of the different type of materials since I've renovated quite a few times. my sales personnel was very patient and re-quoted for me quite a few times

I was told that the China and Israeli quartz differences is in the certifications. E.g. Caesarstone has sent their products for lab test to show their chemical composition does no pose a threat to humans but the China ones being cheaper does not have.

The other one I was told to test is the weight of each similar sized quartz. One which is denser is also heavier, the other is slightly lighter.

Anyway this is my personal experience and should not be used for professional judgement for quartz. :)

I chose solid surface, because I worried about the gas emissions from natural stones like granite and the chinese quartz too (I am a rock engineer, so I know what emissions are safe and unsafe). Caesarstone is lovely and safe, but so $$$$. I may as well get solid surface, and replace it in a few years, rather than Caesarstone. I would love to get Caesarstone in my dream kitchen which I know I will live in for the rest of my life, but until then, no point.

Solid surface in a light colour won't show scratches, and, many of the brands come with a free polisg within 10 years, which will remove any scratches and stains.

I chose solid surface, because I worried about the gas emissions from natural stones like granite and the chinese quartz too (I am a rock engineer, so I know what emissions are safe and unsafe). Caesarstone is lovely and safe, but so $$$$. I may as well get solid surface, and replace it in a few years, rather than Caesarstone. I would love to get Caesarstone in my dream kitchen which I know I will live in for the rest of my life, but until then, no point.

Solid surface in a light colour won't show scratches, and, many of the brands come with a free polisg within 10 years, which will remove any scratches and stains.

Hi Edensmom,

After reading your thread, I'm a bit concerned now. I opted for granite top for my kitchen top, kitchen island and maybe for vanity in both my bathrooms. May I know the concerns of gas emissions from granite that I should be aware of? I chose granite since I like the look, durability and it's natural and not man-made. Thanks for your kind advice.

Hi Edensmom,

what gas emission are we talking here? and whats a chinese quartz? is the gas harmful? Thanks

Hi Khim and Mkina,

I am talking primarily about radon gas .... it is more from the natural stones (such as granite), rather than the engineered stones. Most quartz is 90% man-made, so it would have less emissions than the granite. However, if the quality is dubious, say an unknown brand / odd country manufacturer, I wouldn't be so sure about the emissions. You can get a radon gas monitor if you are really concerned, or else choose a stone where the manufacturer gives a guarantee of the levels of gas emitted.

Don't be too worried, just be aware :)