Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
isla

Kitchen Countertop

Hi Khim and Mkina,

I am talking primarily about radon gas .... it is more from the natural stones (such as granite), rather than the engineered stones. Most quartz is 90% man-made, so it would have less emissions than the granite. However, if the quality is dubious, say an unknown brand / odd country manufacturer, I wouldn't be so sure about the emissions. You can get a radon gas monitor if you are really concerned, or else choose a stone where the manufacturer gives a guarantee of the levels of gas emitted.

Don't be too worried, just be aware :)

Hi EdensMom,

Thanks for the valuable advice. I'm concerned as I have 2 young daughters and wouldn't want to jeopardize their health over the anaesthetics of my kitchentop. Will do some research on Radon gas emissions and decide what's best.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Mkina, good thinking! I had a little girl, and that is my primary driver too. Also, I suggest you research the paints too, as some of them are better for health than others ;)

Hi Edensmom,

Thanks so much for your info. it's really something I've ever heard of. will definitely be more cautions about the stones. Thanks! :)

Hi, I would like to check if it is possible to amend the shape of solid-top counter after it has been installed?

Most of our renovation works given to our contractor was for kitchen works. We feel that our solid-top counter corners are too right-angled and would like to have it rounded off close to a quadrant's angle.

Would anyone here know if it is possible to have such an amendment done without having to involve stripping the cabinet underneath it or uninstalling the counter-top? What is the maximum curve I can get done without disruption to the cabinet and uninstalling the counter-top?

I am at a loss as we encountered lots of reno problems especially with our contractor and the workers he employs..almost all of them have attitude problems and quick answers to every questions and situations we point out hence I am not checking with my contractor on the above amendment I wish to get done.

Would dearly appreciate any advice or recommendations to the solid-top counter amendments.

Thank you...

My ID told me that is was possible to re-melt and mould it if it cracks, so I imagine it should be possible? I would suggest that you contact the solid surface company directly, rather than your reno company. We actually got a 10 year warranty and a free polish on our solid surface, and we can ring up supplier any time to fix. Try to find out which brand it is, and go direct.....

Mkina, good thinking! I had a little girl, and that is my primary driver too. Also, I suggest you research the paints too, as some of them are better for health than others ;)

Hi EdensMon,

can i know what paint did you choose in the end?

My ID told me that is was possible to re-melt and mould it if it cracks, so I imagine it should be possible? I would suggest that you contact the solid surface company directly, rather than your reno company. We actually got a 10 year warranty and a free polish on our solid surface, and we can ring up supplier any time to fix. Try to find out which brand it is, and go direct.....

Hi Edensmom, can check in the end which solid surface did you select?

Yes, ipaq444 ..... I chose solid surface..... so many people are surprised when they see it, as it is very thin and flat, and looks a lot like quartz. I was a bit worried that it may discolour with heavy kitchen use (we cook two or three meals a day at home, including Indian style with saffron, etc) and it has been two years, and still looks good as new. It obviously isn't as tough as quartz or marble, so you cannot chop directly onto it (must use a plastic chopping board) but we have no problems with it and I know it is safe.

Yes, ipaq444 ..... I chose solid surface..... so many people are surprised when they see it, as it is very thin and flat, and looks a lot like quartz. I was a bit worried that it may discolour with heavy kitchen use (we cook two or three meals a day at home, including Indian style with saffron, etc) and it has been two years, and still looks good as new. It obviously isn't as tough as quartz or marble, so you cannot chop directly onto it (must use a plastic chopping board) but we have no problems with it and I know it is safe.

Hi Edensmom,

cna i check what brand did you choose in the end? come with free poslish?

What about paint too? Thank in advance

Edited by ipaq4444

Hi Edensmom,

cna i check what brand did you choose in the end? come with free poslish?

What about paint too? Thank in advance

Hi, Can share/?

Yes, sorry for slow reply ...... it does come with free repolish within 10 years. So far we haven't needed it. I forget the brand name just at this moment, but i would recognise it is you gave me a list. It's a Singapore company, and certainly not Corian. Sorry that isn't much help.

Hi, Can share/?

Hi hi, just to ask , I was quoted that quartz countertop at 7k and granite at 3k, is it really such a huge difference of 4k.... Am still wondering how come the diff is so much...anyone has any idea?

Thanks

Highly recommend getting quartz!! Have been abusing my place quartz for more than 6 months. Placed boiling hot pot of soup directly on my quartz countertop, happily open my can on the countertop without a cloth between the can and my table. Sometimes cutting apples/oranges on my countertop. Amazingly, it's still scratchfree and in great condition!!! But as mentioned, it comes with a price. Double the price of solid surface top