Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
monk8

My Minimalist Resale Home

after signing the contract with the ID...the first thing to do will be choosing tiles.

word of advice for all new home-owner renovating floors....go and look at the tiles yourselves first..it helps! :good:

i went to hafary 4 times myself before going down with ID to choose...we were in and out in an hour...will be quicker if the kitchen tile is not out of stock and we have to rechoose another tile....lucky steven knows what i want and able to pick a replacement rather quickly.

i cannot imagine myself looking thru the whole store with ID and spend a whole day or two or three days choosing the tiles..

therefore, do go to the hafary Defu branch instead of the Balestier branch...first trip was to balestier and i've picked a few tiles....

2nd trip to defu and boy...i am glad i did that...the variety and range is so much more and i managed to find everything there..

also note that IDs and contractors normally will bring their clients to balestier branch first (could be becos it's smaller and clients will not be overwhelmed with all the choices?)...i insisted on defu as my choice of tiles are all there.

after my 4 personal trips, i waited for my trip with ID and then showed him everything to ensure that the materials/ colors and surfaces are fine to use...

here are what i have choosen:

098_zps7254f67a.jpg

living room tiles are white in color but they ran out of sample to give me...

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

during these times, we also went shopping for sanitary stuffs, furnitures, lights etc...

since i'm having minimalist theme so things are minimised....only need to buy dining table and sofa.

read here about air division and lucky i saw that they had a sale so quickly went down to the main branch to take a look...

have to admit that everything in AIR is so nice and also expensive...but very sleek designs for a number of items....the price is the issue... :(

luckily we managed to see a gorgeous white marble table going for 50% off!!

quickly grabbed and add a few chairs since there's 30% off with purchase!

here's my purchase:

050_zpsbf4f542d.jpg

i like the thin table top....very clean lines and i just bought the same chair they displayed as well..

as for sofa, will be buying at tradehub...a boxy grey 3 seater...it's made after placing order so dont have any pic..

wat was ur damage for the white marble table from AIR?

after 50% discount, cost $1900... and yes...feeling the pinch but since my parents liked it and it's white marble...guess it's worth the price after the discount...

original price is $3800!! and that's just for the table... :jawdrop:

would suggest going to AIR for sleek and really nice designs but be prepared for the very "nice" prices as well or wait for the sales...

the aircon guy also came to remove the old aircon...

015_zps13e4e317.jpg

and put lots of meter readers at the end to test the pressure i assumed...

277_zps876f7a65.jpg

searching for lights is a very tedious and tiring...been to balestier, joo chiat, jalan sultan and even to JB....

made a lot of changes...was planning to have false ceilings and cove lights for all the bedrooms then changed our minds and decided to go for pendant lamps instead......so went searching and here are some that could be considered....(not all shops allowed taking pics so these are some from shops that allowed)

loved the dinosaur egg lamp..135_zps1020c791.jpg

136_zpsbbe41eb0.jpg139_zps22c236c6.jpg138_zps5e83043b.jpg

there are also a few from Philips brand and one that i liked which has 3 light bulbs tied together...

after a few weekends of looking and searching and going to all these lights shops....eyes were very tired and seeing stars....

however, all these searching for bedrooms' lights went to waste as we are not able to finalise 3 lights and in the end went with false ceiling and downlights!! :(

although we went without any pendant lights for bedrooms, my parents want a dining light instead so here we goes again searching for a dining light...

shortlisted are 3 lights...2 from singapore and 1 from JB...have to let go the JB one as it's the displayed piece but really cheap!!

so here are the final 2:

the anti-choke which i liked

018_zps1265b48c.jpg

and the crystal ball which is preferred by my parents...

020_zps78547976.jpg

in the end, we went with the crystal pendant light as it will reflect nicely against the mirror and reflect the lights around the room.

but we went with a slightly bigger size of around 40cm instead of the one in the pic which is the small one at 25cm..

bought it at Lights Station at jalan besar...

we planned to have a fan in the living room...and the fan of choice is the haiku fan which i saw in some of the threads here...looks very good and sleek and minimalist!!

BUT it's bloody expensive...$1200 for a fan!! out of my budget..if only i bought it earlier like last year when it's $700-$800.... :(

so went searching for a sleek looking white 3 blade fan....

3 brands came up after days of research...KDK, Relite and Amasco.

KDK is cheap and supposely lasting.

it has 3 blades and it's in white....BUT there is a red KDK logo right in the middle!!! why the **** did they put the logo in red right in the middle??!!! have to reject it since i will be looking at it for years to come...

Relite is cheap as well.

Never heard of the brand but it's supposed to be from UK but bought over by someone in SG or MY...cant remember..

Has 3 blades as well and in white...totally like KDK model but without the red logo....am going to place an order until I saw this fan in one of the lights shops when i went lights-hunting.....

2 blades

013_zps69fec037.jpg

a sleek 2 blades minimalist looking fan!!

FINALLY!!! and it's cheaper than haiku but more expensive than KDK and Relite.

the only catch is that it comes only in 52" and not bigger....i originally want a 60" as adviced by my ID...called him again to check and found out 52" is also okie but that will be the smallest size and not any smaller...

went to Amasco showroom and found that they have many options.....2 blades, 3 blades, 4 and even 5.

4 blades

014_zps6e08cb4f.jpg

3 blades

012_zpsc4e008c1.jpg

the more blades it is, the more expensive...except for 5 blades which is cheaper than 2, 3 and 4 blades.

It's DC motor so it's consume less electricity...

in the end, went with 3 blades since I want more wind power....2 blades also have the wind power but decided to go with 3 instead.

it's better to see and test and feel the fan and it's wind power before buying...i do not have that with KDK and relite as the shops that sell them dont have them in the shops to test.

After many many weeks of light and fan hunting, we finally decided and bought all the items.

for bedrooms - from downlight+cove lights to pendant light to finally downlights...so many changes..

in the end, we bought 26 LED square downlights, 1 LED T5, 22 T5 for covelights, 4 LED norm lights, 3 halogen lights and 1 effect light for foyer....sooo many lights...bought all from JB..the recommendation from you guys...thanks! definitely saved a lot of money! :good:

dining table light and fan will be delivered and installed when the paintworks are done.

fan will be amasco as seen above..the white 3 blades one. :)

with the lights and fan out of the way, let's go back to the reno.

after 1 week of hacking and clearing the rubbish...the tiling and wetworks start...

272_zpsfb666044.jpg

275_zps25bd48f7.jpg

i think this is water-proofing the floor...didnt get to ask the person as i went there after work...

after the water-proofing the floor...the works for tiling starts...

the sand and stuffs all arrive and fill up the living room...tiles arrived earlier

279_zpsc3bdca2c.jpg

017_zps24194ffe.jpg

018_zps7a06e41a.jpg

after work has started for 1 week or 2...ID called to say that the 3D drawings are ready...

great!! can't wait to see how the color choice and layout will look like... :notti: