Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
blueeeeie

Big Ideas In A Small Space

Yeah.. can't hack so just cover.. anything to hide that ridiculous beige line running across the kitchen.. :bleah:

Besides.. cover cheaper than hack!

can't hack? err u mean hdb dun allow to hack or too costly to hack (since u paid for a BTO after all)? lol :lol:

just know a bro who hacked his BTO living room floor tiles, doors & part of his kitchen wall despite paying a premium for such a unit bcos he said it's balance units so he had no option to the tiles & doors... In fact, "hack" is the first thing that comes to many's minds after they opened the door to their new unit for the first time! lol :lol:

Edited by jus4fun

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

can't hack? err u mean hdb dun allow to hack or too costly to hack (since u paid for a BTO after all)? lol :lol:

just know a bro who hacked his BTO living room floor tiles, doors & part of his kitchen wall despite paying a premium for such a unit bcos he said it's balance units so he had no option to the tiles & doors... In fact, "hack" is the first thing that comes to many's minds after they opened the door to their new unit for the first time! lol :lol:

I didn't opt for flooring, so didn't have any hacking there..

Toilets can't hack because there is a 3 year warranty in place.. if you hack then warranty is voided.. so can only overlay

As for kitchens, basically the contractor just said can overlay so that's what we did..no hacking required.. saved us money that we could direct elsewhere.. hee

I know about the "hack" mentality.. I hacked up the wall in one of the bedrooms to open up the space in the house just so I won't feel so claustraphobic!! no one likes the enclosed spaces of the HDB flat if they can help it.. bleargh!

Kitchens (almost complete!)

With the solid top up, the overlaying of the wall tiles had started.. one side of the kitchen is done and now we're just left with the other side..

20130430_184259_zpse7c0d223.jpg

I'm so glad I chose the spot design for the under cabinet lighting.. can almost hear the shing! shing! of the light bouncing off the tile..

20130430_185006_zps5f040585.jpg

Oh and previously we had used a 20W light bulb to light our counter area.. but that turned out to be too blindingly bright.. so I managed to convince the hubs to buy the 5W NUD bulbs that I had been secretly eyeing but he said we had no use for.. *cue the last laugh*... WAHAHAHAHHAHAAH

IMG-20130501-WA0003_zpsac47db2e.jpg

Now I can admire my light both on and off..

Toilets (almost done)

Toilets are almost in a finished state too... all that's left is to install the taps.. here's my cute robot looking tap for the common toilet..

IMG-20130430-WA0002_zps17c54de6.jpg

It's so android-y! Me likes..

Master toilet's tap is missing from the picture at the moment.. but the solid top is looking mighty fine!

IMG-20130430-WA0003_zps7735edec.jpg

Now if only my plumber can hurry up and fix my toilet flushing soon.. its driving me nuts that everytime we flush the master toilet, the water just keeps running! :furious:

Edited by blueeeeie

Study

We've finally purchased a study table thats of the right size and price for our study room..

The idea was to have the table placed under the rectangle light in the middle of the room so it couldn't be too big otherwise we would have trouble moving around the room and it couldn't be too small otherwise if the 2 of us decide to use the room at the same time there wouldn't be space..

Originally intended to get a tulip table from Comfort with a custom sized table top but the price of that turned out to be 600 bucks! It was even more expensive than our dining table..

So in the end, we picked this Kerby table.. color and size was just right.. price tag of 350 was just right too!

Screen-Shot-2013-01-10-at-3.54.05-PM-500

Now that we've managed to save some money from the table.. I can redirect that into my SAYL chair.. eh heh heh heh

sayl-chair-is-smart-chair-design.jpg?w=4

Kitchens (almost complete!)

With the solid top up, the overlaying of the wall tiles had started.. one side of the kitchen is done and now we're just left with the other side..

20130430_184259_zpse7c0d223.jpg

I'm so glad I chose the spot design for the under cabinet lighting.. can almost hear the shing! shing! of the light bouncing off the tile..

20130430_185006_zps5f040585.jpg

Oh and previously we had used a 20W light bulb to light our counter area.. but that turned out to be too blindingly bright.. so I managed to convince the hubs to buy the 5W NUD bulbs that I had been secretly eyeing but he said we had no use for.. *cue the last laugh*... WAHAHAHAHHAHAAH

IMG-20130501-WA0003_zpsac47db2e.jpg

Now I can admire my light both on and off..

Toilets (almost done)

Toilets are almost in a finished state too... all that's left is to install the taps.. here's my cute robot looking tap for the common toilet..

IMG-20130430-WA0002_zps17c54de6.jpg

It's so android-y! Me likes..

Master toilet's tap is missing from the picture at the moment.. but the solid top is looking mighty fine!

IMG-20130430-WA0003_zps7735edec.jpg

Now if only my plumber can hurry up and fix my toilet flushing soon.. its driving me nuts that everytime we flush the master toilet, the water just keeps running! :furious:

May I know what material you use for your bathroom solid top please? Am trying to figure out what material to use for my own. Thanks!

May I know what material you use for your bathroom solid top please? Am trying to figure out what material to use for my own. Thanks!

The solid top brand we used was Staron.. its a more expensive range and we chose it because it had the colors my husband wanted..

Our common toilet uses the Fog color solid top (gives a light grey color) which is the same as our kitchen's and our master uses Metallic yukon (white with some reflective flakes in it)

Hihi

May I know what are the partitions done to the living room wall and kitchen wall (near to entrance)made of? I mean it is cement plastering or using what kind of material? The walls look smooth :)

Edited by sherting

Hihi

May I know what are the partitions done to the living room wall and kitchen wall (near to entrance)made of? I mean it is cement plastering or using what kind of material? The walls look smooth :)

Hi Sherting,

The partitions near my front entrance and in my kitchen are made of plasterboard (drywall).. Its the same kind of partitions they usually put up in offices

The partitions can't get wet (i.e. during mopping and floor washing) so if you do put up drywall in ur house, be sure to put up the floor skirting as well..

The renovation for our place has officially completed! Now all that's left is to do is rectify defects, cleaning and move in the furniture..

Some pics from the latest visit to the house

Wide angle view of dining area

IMG-20130506-WA0006_zpsb29f7775.jpg

Kitchen completed

IMG-20130506-WA0000_zps5b68fb79.jpg

IMG-20130506-WA0003_zpsb87c361c.jpg

IMG-20130506-WA0004_zps9b4321e9.jpg

Common bathroom complete with tap

IMG-20130506-WA0005_zps45907918.jpg

i love the subway tiles! gorgeous! and the mosiac bathroom.. :good:

I really wanted subway tiles and mosiac tiles.. but my ID says he want to do stainless steel backsplash for the kitchen.. also not bad i feel. so okay la. But after seeing your kitchen and bathroom.. i'm drooling.

Congrats ! Almost there .... Still drooling over your mosaic tiles .. your android tap is cute lol. Hoes the flooring like for your kitchen ?

i love the subway tiles! gorgeous! and the mosiac bathroom.. :good:

I really wanted subway tiles and mosiac tiles.. but my ID says he want to do stainless steel backsplash for the kitchen.. also not bad i feel. so okay la. But after seeing your kitchen and bathroom.. i'm drooling.

Hi mishmish,

Thanks!! Stainless steel is really nice too.. provides your kitchen with a modern professional kitchen look.. you can pretend you're one of those chefs from the cooking competitions.. heehee

If you still have time to decide on the look for your kitchen.. its still not too late to opt for the tile.. :notti:

Congrats! Your house renovation seems fast!

Hahah.. we started at the end of Feb and its now already 2 weeks into May.. its been quite a while already.. i've waited till my neck is as long as a giraffe