Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
wabisabi

Modern Mix Heritage Style For Postwar Flat

My pendant light for the home office area, bought it at block 71 opposite Tiong Bahru market.

10535065013_8942629157.jpg

Now waiting for my order of the LED edison light to come in. Ordered it from Like lights

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

That desk is really really nice!

What kind of wood is it?

It is solid walnut, wax finish if I am not wrong. The metal part look slim but quite solid and heavy too.

Our renovation is almost finished! Most of the work is done, now only left carpentry which are done in the contractor's workshop.

I am excited to see the kitchen design coming true.

Here is the original antique peranakan tiles that we bought to put in the kitchen.

10702882725_ec05a3aa97.jpg

Since our laundry room is tiny, so we can only install this :

10703254714_0470bfcfa2.jpg

Initially we want to have the laundry hanger system that can be pull out through the window. But the window is too low and the room is too small.

So we can only have the indoor hanger. The other option is the bamboo poles....

Haih.... :( the laundry room is the one place that looks messy. The water heater is jotting out because it can't fit on the wall between pipes.... :(

By the way, anybody has recommendation for mover? Looking for a mover with reasonable price, because we have a lot of stuffs and also our new place has no lift......

My 60 years old parquet floor :) . They turn paler today.

10439175933_90c7cbd4f0.jpg

Really 60 years? If so, those of us who use the real wood floors for a long time can still say we are more eco-friendly than those who use laminated wood but change every few years.

Really 60 years? If so, those of us who use the real wood floors for a long time can still say we are more eco-friendly than those who use laminated wood but change every few years.

That is the age of the floor that I heard. I will ask auntie when I meet her to pass her letters.

But I believe solid wood is quite environmental friendly, especially compare to new flooring material which contains plastics or resin that is not biodegradable. A greener option will be reclaimed timber.

I guess as owner we have to find the suitable contractor who are not just looking for profit. This kind of contractors are not easy to find. I have contacted about 9 contractors/ID and 6 of them actually suggested I replaced the parquet with tiles. One came down to site and said that it is hollow and need to change all.

Two contractors actually suggested to replace the whole floor including the terrazzo floor. They said it is easier to do, match better with the design and doesn't cost "that much".

The contractor that we finally chose has done a few conservation flat, so they are familiar with vintage&heritage stuff. They are also used to handle "quirky" request from vintage lover, such as keeping the old brick, find old peranakan glass etc. He said that the parquet floor are in good condition. It is made from old teak wood. The newer parquet that the supplier sell nowadays are from younger tree, so not as solid as this old parquet.

Thank you Makanology! Re staining wood is not easy..., once it has a wrong streak, it stays there....

But I will try other diy, it is fun, kind of therapeutic hehehe

Edited by wabisabi

Here is our first DIY for the house

Before:

10702962735_58efca9c00.jpg

After:

10703211093_5b8d7a010c.jpg

Well it is not very tidy, but we like the antique effect :)

Hello wabisabi! Where did you get this chest of drawers? Would love to try my own DIY on it. And it looks lovely!

Edited by cesc88

I have a dilemma with the vintage rattan sofa.

10140568316_d9bc7d12eb.jpg

10140625193_fb5092e34e.jpg

The cost to reupholster these cushions is $1550 (new thicker cushions and new fabric).

The cost to re varnish is $600, that is not including the shipping cost.

Restoring this vintage piece is expensive. We can get a new sofa with this price.

On one hand, this is a genuine piece that belong to this house. On the other hand, this sofa is a bit awkward (scale is too big for the living room), and I have to throw away my sofa from my old flat (I can't keep two sofas, no space).

If I don't restore it, it already become a bit shaky, and blotchy because some part of the varnish has gone. :unsure:

Just to ask, what do you intend to do with the vintage sofa? If you want to upholster the sofa or rather change the cushions and cover, I know of just a place that does tailoring, and even making rattan furniture. Price wise, i am not sure now as it has been many years now but location is in JB. If the location have not changed, it will be near the customs.