Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Exercise Equipment

Over the weekend, I did some DIY installation.

First, I installed a pull up bar which I purchased from AIBI. It cost $36 and the label shows a man grimacing as he does the pull up. I forgot to take a picture before I threw away the packaging. Anyway, it fits doors 61 to 88 cm wide. Would have been really useful if pull up is still part of IPPT. It's easy to install. http://www.aibi.com.sg

23450487109_123dd81feb.jpg

23710020912_afd07620fb.jpg

23818462425_0e07686e7c.jpg

Turning in one direction will extend the length, press against the sides of the door and make the installation tighter. But if you are installing, do not install too tightly. When I first installed, I could not close the door. I realised that I had turned the bar too much, pressed against the door frame sides and somehow lowered the top portion of the door frame.

Edited by Ks Toh

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Also bought and installed a bicycle rack from Howards Storage World. $59.99 but I read there is 20% discount this weekend for members (can join immediately). This might be suitable for those of you with bikes but no space to park them inside your house. Maybe you can install this at your yard or balcony area. http://www.hsw.com.sg

23190341404_8f5161d4eb.jpg

23792332826_790cdc4b75.jpg 23792332916_3efe0c5b1f.jpg

Instructions says maximum weight 30 kg. This means 2 bikes but not those really heavy ones that weigh more than 15 kg each.

Edited by Ks Toh

On a related topic, if you prefer to do your exercise outside your house, and if you do not already know, you can sign up for Sports Singapore's ActiveSG membership. Download the app, and Sports Singapore will credit your account with $100. You can use the money to pay for admission to swimming pools, gyms or join programmes. I just used it to enter Bedok ActiveSG Gym the other day.

23710108102_b7c6abf56e.jpg 23522818690_39712baed5.jpg

Or if your house is near a NParks Park Connector, that will be good. I am lucky that near my house is the connection between the Bedok PCN and East Coast PCN. I can run to either Bedok Reservoir or East Coast Parkway.

23522770310_3e78d00939.jpg

Virtual Private Network (VPN)

I have been thinking about this for some time, but was procrastinating. Finally, I moved my *** earlier this week and signed up with Hide My *** (HMA). Since, many of us are so reliant on internet these days to do all sorts of things, I will share some of the things I know. I am however not an expert on this.

VPNs serve many purposes. For corporations, it enables employees in remote locations to connect back to their office servers securely. For people like you and me, there are probably two main purposes.

First, it allows us to circumvent geographical restrictions and censorship, by spoofing our physical location. So, content that are available only in the US can be accessed if you choose a USA VPN server. The following are screenshots of my iPhone showing before/after VPN. You will see the VPN symbol come on at the top right corner.

23778822761_17fc3107f6.jpg 23752965342_6afbed77fe.jpg

23835218686_8248a26d9b.jpg 23565599950_ca6f26df91.jpg

Edited by Ks Toh

I did not do much research on the various VPN services available. I only checked up on Astrill (recommended on HWZ discussion referred by sarah833) and HMA (very popular and recommended by friend). In the end, I chose HMA primarily because although both offered 2 simultaneous access, HMA allows both access on any device (can be two notebooks as long as connected to different servers) but Astrill required 1 to be on PC/notebook while the 2nd to be on mobile. I thought the HMA arrangement was more flexible.

I signed up for 2 years at US$4.99 per month (Christmas offer). After installing the app/software, turning VPN on/off was as easy as turning on/off WiFI. I did not notice any significant decrease in speed but that has to be verified.

23565654450_e752dba486.jpg 23752948852_f571199e8a.jpg

Secondly, VPN allows you to spoof your location so that it hides your actual identity and location. Some people might want to use a VPN is to avoid a situation like this:

23877178715_219d110a98.jpg

23493445379_de245c7cd0.jpg

Edited by Ks Toh

Hi KS

I signed up HMA after reading your post: ) the Christmas promotion is too good to be missed!

Need help! I installed HMA on my Sony phone, Sony tablet and Mac mini. Works fine on Sonys but not Mac mini. It kept saying safari can't find the server when I tried to access a random site to test. I am using wired connection for the Mac mini and tried connecting to hma servers in China, USA and Singapore.

Hi KS

I signed up HMA after reading your post: ) the Christmas promotion is too good to be missed!

Need help! I installed HMA on my Sony phone, Sony tablet and Mac mini. Works fine on Sonys but not Mac mini. It kept saying safari can't find the server when I tried to access a random site to test. I am using wired connection for the Mac mini and tried connecting to hma servers in China, USA and Singapore.

Oh dear, I don't use a Mac Mini so I have no idea. Can you try accessing without VPN some other known website which is working? Or restart the computer, turn on VPN first before you attempt to use your browser? Or have you exceeded the two simultaneous logins?

It worked when I turned off vpn, didn't try restarting the computer, will try when I am home tonight

I only had one active session when I tried to access from Mac mini

Yes, I am posting this while connected to HMA - Hong Kong, Wan Chai server. My MacBook Air is on OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.5. I just took the default HMA settings. Did not change anything. Maybe you can let me know the website and I try?

Hi the issue I facing is once i connect to hma, I can't go to any site. Tried Facebook, BBC, Netflix etc

I used default settings as well. Let me check the Mac OS version

Edited by sarah833