Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Harriette

Modern Em Reno@ Bukit Panjang

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Toilet vanity base cabinet

For better ventilation, metal shelf with holes have been fitted in the toilet vanity base cabinet. This will also enable me to place some wet things there, such as wet bottles of toilet cleaning liquids.

13892068045_8cbed2dc9d.jpgimage by Harriette_Tan, on Flickr

13892114813_65863fb903.jpgimage by Harriette_Tan, on Flickr

13892035515_0ba0139d38.jpgimage by Harriette_Tan, on Flickr

13892438324_7ed1c4e75c.jpgimage by Harriette_Tan, on Flickr

13892030995_cff1b545d7.jpgimage by Harriette_Tan, on Flickr

TV console (updated)

Previously, the doors in the bottom row of the TV console was made to rest on the floor. We were concerned that the doors will slam on the feet of my toddler. Hence, we have asked Mr Yeak to install some lever to hold the doors.

Previously:

13686518705_812bb659e5.jpgTV console by Harriette_Tan, on Flickr

Now:

13937798624_89d12bc302.jpgimage by Harriette_Tan, on Flickr

13937363085_23d55fe26c.jpgimage by Harriette_Tan, on Flickr

The louvre doors hide the sight of the IT equipment well. The wireless signals are strong, even upstairs. Heat does not seem to build up.

congrats harriette!!! so happy for you!! how long did your reno take and furnishing time :D?

Reno took 4 months! We started on 10 Dec 13 and moved in on 17 Apr 14. Excluding the 2 weeks of CNY break for the workers, reno took 3.5 months.

Quality of works is generally good. The most problematic was the plumbing.

• 17 Apr 14 (we moved in): we detected leakage in the kitchen sink bottle traps in the morning. The plumber came to fix it in the afternoon.
  • 18 Apr 14 night: leakage was detected in the same place.
  • 19 Apr 14: The plumber came to fix it. Hopefully it is really fixed.

Carpentry workmanship was generally good. I detected some minor scratches. The carpenter sanded away the scratches.

We are still furnishing as we go along. The sofa, dining set and TVs will be delivered next week.

Edited by Harriette

Hi Harriette, congratulations! Really like your kitchen.

Can you kindly pm me Mr Yeak's and William's contact?

Thank you very much!!

PM-ed.

Hi Harriette

I really love all those clever ideas - irobot space, toothbrush space, metal mesh within cabinet, "sloping" cable inlet, double panes window & so on.

Wished I had seen this blog sooner before I contracted my ID. Indeed, reno needs lots of fine tuning here and there. The worst of the worst, my ID constructed my tv console short by 10cm!!!! I asked for a 50*50 and it came out 50*40, :~ . Yikes, side-tracked.

Well, happy settling down and soon you'll be able to enjoy and relax in your new place!

So the TV will be mounted then. The space behind kinda wasted though.

Hi OceanEleven,

the space behind the TV is accessible from the sides. See diagram:

13928542522_5402ab094a.jpgtv console design (210414) by Harriette_Tan, on Flickr

To illustrate, here is a 55cm by 55cm cushion in a red Harvey Norman bag.

13928484102_71f1b44681.jpgimage by Harriette_Tan, on Flickr

I placed the cushion as far in, as possible. There is still sufficient space for other stuff, as illustrated by the Dlink bag and remote controls.

13928476521_9ff8120ee0.jpgimage by Harriette_Tan, on Flickr

13952049354_7f6897e6e8.jpgimage by Harriette_Tan, on Flickr

I have requested for wasted space within the TV console to be minimised. Jay, Mr Yeak and carpenter put in alot of time and effort to maximise the TV console space.

Only the portion containing the cable hole is not accessible.

13467634535_77537a921a.jpgUntitled by Harriette_Tan, on Flickr

Edited by Harriette

why didn't you do the same louvred doors for the shoe cabinets and the TV console ? these 2, i think, are different ?

Hi alfredt,

the louvred doors for the shoe cabinets and TV console are different. Another difference is the colour and laminate type - the TV console is covered in brown, wood-grained and textured laminate while the shoe cabinet is covered in white, glossy and smooth laminate.

Jay (my ID) proposed the above design. I thought it was nice and I went along with it. To me, the living room TV console and shoe cabinet are distinctive areas and I did not think of giving them the same look.

Hi Harriette

I really love all those clever ideas - irobot space, toothbrush space, metal mesh within cabinet, "sloping" cable inlet, double panes window & so on.

Wished I had seen this blog sooner before I contracted my ID. Indeed, reno needs lots of fine tuning here and there. The worst of the worst, my ID constructed my tv console short by 10cm!!!! I asked for a 50*50 and it came out 50*40, :~ . Yikes, side-tracked.

Well, happy settling down and soon you'll be able to enjoy and relax in your new place!

Hi anemone,

Thanks for your compliments. The renovation would not have happened without Jay and Mr Yeak. They both put in alot of thoughts and efforts into this reno project.

When I first thought of getting irobot, I informed the 3 men in the project, namely my hubby, Jay and Mr Yeak. I said that we need to discuss where to place the irobot. Both hubby and Mr Yeak asked me "what is there to discuss? Just place it next to a powerpoint." :bleah: Jay said "we could incorporate a space for the irobot in the carpentry" and he eventually drew the designs.

Jay also thought of the metal mesh for the toilet base cabinets, coz I told him that I might want to put some wet stuff there. I had imagined that after washing the toilet, the toilet cleaning liquid bottle will be wet. I could simply put it into the base cabinet and let it air-dry there.

Mr Yeak and his brother (the carpenter) thought of the sloping cable inlet for the TV console and many other carpentry details.

I thought of the toothbrush space and double glazed windows. :sport-smiley-018:

This has been a long reno journey. I am so glad to finally move in.

Edited by Harriette

• Like 1

Clever, clever, clever ideas, love it! IDs and contractors who THINK of solutions based on your requirements are really hard to come by!

Hi anemone,

Thanks for your compliments. The renovation would not have happened without Jay and Mr Yeak. They both put in alot of thoughts and efforts into this reno project.

When I first thought of getting irobot, I informed the 3 men in the project, namely my hubby, Jay and Mr Yeak. I said that we need to discuss where to place the irobot. Both hubby and Mr Yeak asked me "what is there to discuss? Just place it next to a powerpoint." :bleah: Jay said "we could incorporate a space for the irobot in the carpentry" and he eventually drew the designs.

Jay also thought of the metal mesh for the toilet base cabinets, coz I told him that I might want to put some wet stuff there. I had imagined that after washing the toilet, the toilet cleaning liquid bottle will be wet. I could simply put it into the base cabinet and let it air-dry there.

Mr Yeak and his brother (the carpenter) thought of the sloping cable inlet for the TV console and many other carpentry details.

Hi anemone,