Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
iceage

Finally A Place To Call Our Home!

Went to Jb on saturday to purchase my final batch of lights and paid deposit for my curtains plus a long list of stuff to be done.

Was looking for a tv console and coffee table in one of the furniture shop saw this!! Fell in love with it at first sight. Hubby was asking where do i wana place it and :idea: I can use it as a shoe stool!. Intend to place it next to the shoe cabinet. The stools came in a few colors and we choose blue, hoping to give our home a splash of color

gallery_57788_8_73660.jpg

gallery_57788_8_137433.jpg

Already started using it !!:thumbs up::thumbs up::good:

On Sunday, hubby said to buy our bed frame, which we had been procrastinating for the longest time. My dream bed frame is this, which I saw in Houzz. Love love it but seem like it is not very common here in Singapore

gallery_57788_8_86119.png

After scouring umpteen furniture shops in both Singapore and JB, finally found something similar to it and we held back from purchasing it as was hoping to get it from JB and hopefully it would be cheaper haha.. But, can't find it at all in JB

So, we finally bite the bullet and purchased it yesterday. Here it is!! Ta-da!!!

gallery_57788_8_49760.jpg

Similar bo?? hahaha.. This is the closest that I can find to my dream bed d

Looks like your shopping trip to JB was a successful one! Great choice of a bedframe IMO, has a little bit of lux factor but not over the top, and it's 90% close to the one that you were trying to find. Well done! :good:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Looks like your shopping trip to JB was a successful one! Great choice of a bedframe IMO, has a little bit of lux factor but not over the top, and it's 90% close to the one that you were trying to find. Well done! :good:

Thanks vicx1234 for your kind remarks. Yep, shopping in JB is a fruitful journey for us but it is very tiring to go in and out hahaha.. But the savings that we garnered is rather substantial, especially on the lights

Live updates from my contractor. I guess since this is the last week of renovation, to pacify his super kancheong customer, that's me, by the way :bleah: he took the WIP cabinets to show me.

Here they are: :dancingqueen::dancingqueen:

This should be my wardrobe, judging from the steel handler

gallery_57788_7_9229.jpg

No idea what this is though. Any guess? Wardrobe doors?? :dunno:

gallery_57788_7_24452.jpg

This is my shoe cabinet. This is easy to guess from the laminates. Hehehe :jammin:

gallery_57788_7_41223.jpg

My kitchen tall unit. My saliva :dribble: d. Can't wait for them to be up!! Looks like jigsaw puzzle to me :yeah:

gallery_57788_7_72140.jpg

gallery_57788_7_96091.jpg

gallery_57788_7_63302.jpg

Our contractor gave us a surprise before lunch today. He sent us this

Our place, cleaned from debris!!

The kitchen wall that was previously covered in grime and grease, all scrubbed clean!!

gallery_57788_7_68798.jpg

Finally can properly appreciate my laminates! :dribble:

gallery_57788_7_44448.jpg

The windows all scrubbed clean!!

gallery_57788_7_31357.jpg

Final week of renovation already.. Can;t really describe how I am feeling. :rolleyes::unsure::wacko::dribble::huh::blink:

Yep, the above are what I am feeling now. This feels like facing the final exam during uni time. After this then all the crazy juggling between work and renovation, endless discussion (to have concealed wiring or not? Change to bi fold doors or glass door?), sleepless nights over thinking whether I made the right decision with the roller blinds (ivory or patterned?), all the endless to and fro Spore-JB sourcing for everything from fittings to furniture will be over soon!!

Whenever I see progress in our home, I felt very happy. All the pains, sweat and blood, literally (coz I cut myself while packing :P ) are worth it!!

So, entering the final week, I am more kancheong than usual. It is a wonder my contractor haven literally strangled me with my :fire: questions 24/7. He is super patient and answer every question calmly, although he nearly spluttered blood this morning when I asked him whether I can change my toilet doors from bi-fold to glass doors :P

It feels funny that he cleaned my place now when there are still quite alot of rectification works to be done, like hacking of the kitchen wall. Should I hack or not? Or leave it? It looks more presentable now with the grime and grease all gone. Anyway, I would not see it once my kitchen cabinets are up and my glass backing is in place :sport-smiley-004:

So I badgered him for this week schedule and here they are, partly to remind myself what is going to happen so i will :fire: him less (Hubby: 8| ask u dun kept kacau ppl d, still :fire: whatsapp at night! Ppl dun need to sleep ah? Me: :P )

Tuesday, 21st January 2014

- Placing of corrugated paper (AGAIN!!!) on my floor

- hacking of kitchen wall tiles and cement screed it

- Plastering of uneven walls in my home

Wednesday, 22nd January 2014

- Concealing of exposed electrical wiring, Final phase of electrical works

- Painting (second time) of my home.

- Installation of cabinets- first phase (Hip hip hooray!!!)

Thursday, 23rd January 2014

- Installation of curtain rod and roller blinds from my curtain folks

- Completion of installation of cupboards and wardrobe

Friday, 24th January 2014

- Second round cleaning before my furniture and fittings arrived!!

I asked my contractor why bother cleaning when you are gona hack my walls. He replied, he beh tahan see so messy. I was like :jawdrop: okayyyyyy.. sounds funny coz never seen a contractor who is willing to clean my place twice hahahaha. Anyway, all the better.. Can;t stand the mess myself

So, folks, stay tune for more updates this week!! :dancingqueen:

wah your contractor sounds very steady! :good:

Looks like everything is falling into place really nicely for you. I think we are at about the same stage of completion now bah. I'm sure you're feeling just as excited as we are to see everything go up it their rightful place.

Post more pictures when your stuff is up!

wah your contractor sounds very steady! :good:

Looks like everything is falling into place really nicely for you. I think we are at about the same stage of completion now bah. I'm sure you're feeling just as excited as we are to see everything go up it their rightful place.

Post more pictures when your stuff is up!

Hi Vic1234,

Thanks for your kind words..Hmm, so far he did not flare up at me or showed any black face to me despite me :fire: many messages to him day or night. :P

But got kena suan few times d hahaha but did not care coz i am the kind who needs to tell him my ideas or thoughts when I suddenly thought of them. Do you ever have that kind of moments?? Like when you are working but suddenly an idea for your home will just pop into your mind or something that you know you forgot to let your contractor/id knows about? Well, thats me hahaha

Anyway, he just popped by my place again tonight to ensure that my place is ready for cabinets installations tomorrow morning!!! Hip hip hooray!!!! :sport-smiley-004::dancingqueen:

Hope to see the final outcome of the carpentry works and the house of cause.

By the way nice bed you got there.

Thanks Songz,

Was debating whether to get the bed or not, because...i have to admit one thing which many forummers here will think i am being silly.. Well..to tell the truth, my frame costs a tad more than my mattress :P I know alot of people will :jawdrop: coz usually we will invest more in the mattress than the frame itself coz that is what we are sleeping on rite? Hahahaha, but found a really good mattress (in my opinion coz both the man and I are not so particular and we are not the prince or princess who can feel 3 peas underneath a mattress :P ) so we got it in Malaysia... hehehehe.. So due to the exchange rates, the frame came up more expensive than the mattress itself

But, could not reconcile myself to settle for another frame once I saw this frame in Singapore. Just love it..

Anyway, will update again on the quality once the frame has been delivered to me. Hehehe... Still :wub: it :P

that's us all the time too. Suddenly got one crazy idea that pops up as a result of us browsing through renotalk or pinterest, houzz etc, and then find an urgent need to ask our ID if it can be done. haha.

It's kindda funny to see how the ID reacts to our suggestions sometimes. We keep coming up with so many ideas that sometimes he doesn't know whether to take us seriously or not. :rolleyes:

Hahaha, totally agrees!! That's why my contractor gave me so many nicknames.Terrorist coz i always terrorizes him, loanshark coz i am always chasing him for pictures updates of my home when I am busy and no time to visit my place, mum coz i am always naggy and reminding him so much for certain stuff of my reno works :rofl:

But in the end, i think all these are worth it when we see with our own eyes how our homes are transformed!! So excited!!!

Had a meeting with my electrician on Monday to go through all the points that we had, as adviced by inthechouse, an advice which i greatly appreciates. To all home owners out there, it is really good to go through with your electrician personally than having to go through your contractor in the event some of the points got lost or misunderstood.

I think my meeting with my electrician came a bit too late as he has already laid out the wiring but luckily some of it can still be added or amended. We have to share some of the blame ourselves as some of the items that we wanted surfaced after the wiring is done.

So, a good point to note will be, try to visualise how you are going to stay in the house and your living lifestyle and go through EVERY rooms in the house (i.e where do you charge your hp at night? Do you really need a tv point in your bedroom? Do you read before you sleep etc?) My problem is i spent about 70% of my brain cells on my kitchen, which is the place i spent most of my time anyway :P so i neglected other parts of my home, such as master and living room

Anyway, armed with a roll of masking tape (those we can write on top of) and marker pen, we went through the entire house again and the man wrote down all the things to be rectified/added/removed while I dutifully took notes on my hp. The man accidentally left a few marks on our freshly painted walls :furious: but luckily the painters will be coming over to our place to touch up again once the cabinets are up.

We ended up with 25 points/remarks for our electrician and contractor!!!:rofl: Can you imagine their expressions when they marched into our home full of masking tapes? I did not take a picture of it coz was embarrassed by it hahaha :sport-smiley-004:

Anyway, the electrician is pretty friendly and gave some practical advice as well on our wants/needs on the points. He did tell us that all the additional/rectification works can only be done on Thursday hence it is to our pleasant surprise to find it done up last night when my contractor visited our place to ensure everything is in place for the cabinet installation today. :dancingqueen:

I think maybe he was afraid he may forget our 25 points/remarks so faster do it lest getting our requests wrong again :P

Ok, less words and more pictures!

My balcony light!! Love the small house light

gallery_57788_8_11185.jpg

gallery_57788_8_430.jpg

Balcony lights turned on

gallery_57788_8_12257.jpg

Living walkway lights with plastered wall. Previously this wall was uneven and had asked my contractor to even it out. Much better now :lol:

gallery_57788_8_13387.jpg

Additional power points and tv point moved.

gallery_57788_8_2817.jpg

Continue from previous post

Dining lights connected

gallery_57788_8_39555.jpg

Our fan is also up although we did not take a photo of it. The man was commenting how he dislike our fan and it made me :jawdrop: I asked him why???? He said he din like the "black eye" in the middle of the fan :rolleyes: I told him, too bad..you choose the fans yourself. too late for regrets 8| .

Tracklights up!!

gallery_57788_8_46578.jpg

gallery_57788_8_28982.jpg

We badgered the lady boss in Best Lights to provide LED bulbs for us for this track lights as we tested both non-LED and the LED bulbs and non-LEDS bulbs are really hot when turned on even for awhile.

2-way lights. I think this is essential as we wouldnt want to grope our way in the dark after turning off the lights when we turn in for the night.

However, I hope others can learn from our mistake. When our contractor first asked me which points to have 2-way lights, I made the decision without consulting my man. In the end, he pointed out an additional light next to the kitchen which made sense to me but did not occurred to me before. The moral of the story is, always discuss everything together before making any decision 8| Sorry honey!! :P

Luckily, it can be rectified by our electrician but no doubt, additional costs will be incurred :unsure:

Our master bedroom lights. Added 2 more lights here too above our bed's head. This also came in last minute as the man was suddenly struck by inspiration :dunno: and wanted to add 2 downlights. Reason? We always have the habit of readin before sleeping but there is no more space for bedside lamps next to our bed hence, he suggested 2 downlights with individual switch, so that if one person wish to read while the other sleeps, can just turn on the light on one side only. You get the picture? :notti:

He initially wanted 2-way too for one of the lights in the room because he wanted to stop being my voice remote control :bleah: (I think all husbands out there can attest to this) as I always asked him to switch off the lights before sleeping hahaahaha

But too late and wiring has already been done so cant be added. Hopefully the other home owners can learn from us here. Think through the points carefully before deciding.

gallery_57788_8_41335.jpg

Oh, can you guys see the "black eye" that the man dislike here? :notti: It did not matter to me so...oh well.. just gotta live with it..

The small house light is very nice :good:

Thank you Songz for your kind words. I went to many lighting shops but could not find a similar one. However, gotta wait for about 2 weeks for it to arrive but no regrets here. The platform area was designed to be a cosy area for both of us and we just love it!!

How's your renovation progress? Hope everything is going smoothly for you :)