Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
inthechouse

A Canvas To Our Imagination: Thoreau

5) Wish this effect on the bathroom pipes would disappear in the blink of an eye. But nope, Alan said they can't do anything about it, except to paint over. #eyesore

Photo4-1-14113849am_zpsf69c7d52.jpg

6) Spotted a curved wall in the living room. This is right outside the storeroom. Told Alan about it and he said he will look into it. Pleaseeeee fix it, Alan. I know you're reading this.

Photo4-1-1412226pm_zpsfc0125a7.jpg

7) Wohh, what's this gap beneath the plaster in my living room? Alan, I think your plastering guys slacked off a little there.

Photo4-1-1412922pm_zps4bd5374e.jpg

On a happier note, the life landing area got cement-screeded by the town council today. :good:

Photo4-1-1410320pm_zpsb60340d9.jpg

Other matters:

- Met the plumber and electrician today. Was a little unprepared for the latter, as we did not expect his presence. But we prevailed. Alan was not entirely helpful with this, but being a contractor and not an ID, we didn't expect otherwise. Just ask him for his opinion if you need to. Really gotta be vocal and pro-active with him. And try to look beyond his seemingly short temper.

Edited by inthechouse

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi friends, how many of you are using track lights in the kitchen? Do you think it was a good choice?

We will be having a C-shaped kitchen counter, which includes a small breakfast counter. The original plan was to have a pendant light above the breakfast counter, and a regular Philips light on the ceiling. Someone has suggested that we use track lights instead (1 track), so I thought I should sound out some of you here first.

Thanks!

Quite a few people here have used track lights in the kitchen. Visually/aesthetically more impactful.

Functionally, I'm not so sure since the light tends to be rather focused on a specific area. Some people do consider additional T5 lights under the upper cabinets to offset the concentrated track light source.

That was what led my decision to forgo track lights in kitchen.

Hi friends, how many of you are using track lights in the kitchen? Do you think it was a good choice?

We will be having a C-shaped kitchen counter, which includes a small breakfast counter. The original plan was to have a pendant light above the breakfast counter, and a regular Philips light on the ceiling. Someone has suggested that we use track lights instead (1 track), so I thought I should sound out some of you here first.

Thanks!

Quite a few people here have used track lights in the kitchen. Visually/aesthetically more impactful.

Functionally, I'm not so sure since the light tends to be rather focused on a specific area. Some people do consider additional T5 lights under the upper cabinets to offset the concentrated track light source.

That was what led my decision to forgo track lights in kitchen.

Thanks, Greg. We can't even have those additional lights since we're not constructing top cabinets. Hah. I guess we may drop the idea too.

Photo6-1-14100921pm_zps49a940e2.jpg

Dropped by the unit after work yesterday evening, as requested by the plumber. Saw that they were still installing stuff close to 7pm. Hope the neighbours downstairs don't complain... :wacko:

So we were told at the last minute that the workers needed two-way taps. Hupfarri hadn't advised us. And the store which sold us the 707 instant heater didn't tell us about the need for a tap either. (Yup, we're true blue noobs). Good thing the Mistral set came with one.

Managed to catch the workers in time to request for them to shift the WCs a little. They also asked us how high/low we wanted the sinks/taps/heaters, etc. Default/standard doesn't always work for us because we are not very tall. Hurhur.

After the piping was done, there were several holes in the walls. They asked if we will have the walls painted, so that they could go ahead with patching the holes with white plaster, or whatever it was. For those walls which we may retain as cement screed walls, they said it's best to get Alan's other workers to patch them.

It was getting dark and we had to leave for an appointment, so we didn't stick around to test out the water pressure, etc. Something which we should've done.

Next up, electrical works.

P.S: Still waiting for Alan to rectify some wall works.

regarding track lights in kitchen - very subjective. was contemplating for the longest time. this was what i got from various people:

1) home owners - aesthetically nice. no issue & bright enough to light up the kitchen. this feedback also came from my own brother who installed track lights in his kitchen.

2) lighting retailer - not practical. light focuses only on one area.

i took the earlier advice & went ahead. and regretted. my personal experience is that:

- it focuses on a small area. so you will need to put up multiple spots to cover a wider area.

- it casts a shadow if im standing at the area where the spot is focused on.

- it's very HOT. i was perspiring like crazy as i had 2 spots focusing on the area where i stood. unless your kitchen is naturally cool or has air conditioning, else i will not suggest having track lights.

regarding track lights in kitchen - very subjective. was contemplating for the longest time. this was what i got from various people:

1) home owners - aesthetically nice. no issue & bright enough to light up the kitchen. this feedback also came from my own brother who installed track lights in his kitchen.

2) lighting retailer - not practical. light focuses only on one area.

i took the earlier advice & went ahead. and regretted. my personal experience is that:

- it focuses on a small area. so you will need to put up multiple spots to cover a wider area.

- it casts a shadow if im standing at the area where the spot is focused on.

- it's very HOT. i was perspiring like crazy as i had 2 spots focusing on the area where i stood. unless your kitchen is naturally cool or has air conditioning, else i will not suggest having track lights.

Thanks for sharing. Did ya use LED bulbs? Would it be less hot?

Trying to convince myself that having less track lights = less cleaning/dusting. :notti:

I would second greg and retchlow's opinion. While track lights can look aesthetically pleasing to some owners, it may not be the most practical option especially if you do cook often.

If you use LED track lights esp, the light beam is typically narrower and more focused, although the more expensive types (think they call it COB??) with reflectors are better in that aspect. Still, you don't want to be bothered by the lack of light in your kitchen where presumably, you need brighter lighting so that you don't run the risk of cutting yourself or serving raw food. If you really like track lights, you may consider positioning them directly above your kitchen counter instead of the middle. That being the case, you may consider adding general lighting to supplement the lighting, at the slight risk of making the lighting arrangement slightly cluttered.

Thanks for sharing. Did ya use LED bulbs? Would it be less hot?

Trying to convince myself that having less track lights = less cleaning/dusting. :notti:

yup, LED lights.

I would second greg and retchlow's opinion. While track lights can look aesthetically pleasing to some owners, it may not be the most practical option especially if you do cook often.

If you use LED track lights esp, the light beam is typically narrower and more focused, although the more expensive types (think they call it COB??) with reflectors are better in that aspect. Still, you don't want to be bothered by the lack of light in your kitchen where presumably, you need brighter lighting so that you don't run the risk of cutting yourself or serving raw food. If you really like track lights, you may consider positioning them directly above your kitchen counter instead of the middle. That being the case, you may consider adding general lighting to supplement the lighting, at the slight risk of making the lighting arrangement slightly cluttered.

Thanks, vicx1234. I can imagine major cluttering if I were to use a ceiling light, a pendant light and track lights. I can also imagine a bigger hole in my shallow pocket. Looks like we're really gonna have to stick to the good old ceiling light option.

yup, LED lights.

Some sales people have told us that LED bulbs will not emit heat. Have we been misinformed again? LOL.

Thanks, vicx1234. I can imagine major cluttering if I were to use a ceiling light, a pendant light and track lights. I can also imagine a bigger hole in my shallow pocket. Looks like we're really gonna have to stick to the good old ceiling light option.

Some sales people have told us that LED bulbs will not emit heat. Have we been misinformed again? LOL.

it's a myth..google it :)

it's a myth..google it :)

So does it mean that a ceiling/pendant light with an LED bulb above my head will cause me to feel hot too? This is getting a bit complicated. Good thing we're having this conversation before I purchase my lights.

yr white metro tiles are a classic beauty and I had every intention to use it in my Kitchen wall but later drop the idea. i was eyeing on the yellow ones. The problem is it is debossed around the perimeter which will make drilling and installing of rails, hooks, shelf etc difficult. That was my concern. Hope u guys factor that in. Good luck to yr reno.

i certainly did...this is what some of the experts say (Source from CNET):

"LED bulbs do get hot, but the heat is pulled away by a heat sink in the base of the bulb. From there, the heat dissipates into the air and the LED bulb stays cool, helping to keep its promise of a very long life."

So well, it dissipates into the air & directly onto the human. LOL

Edited by retchlow