Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
vicx1234

A "scandustrial" Concept ~ Sengkang Ea

Guess approx, 1.5k up for hollow block solid wall for 10ft.

This excluding making good the flooring, depending tiles, laminates,HERF or even marble.Also there is the paint work to take note as well.

Not forgetting the dust, rubble and the inconvenience of staying at home of looking after your home, after all you are still staying there during the chaos.

Wow OceanEleven,

You are really very knowledgeable about all these costs :good:

Was about to reply Vicx that I have no idea how much it costs than I saw your post. My colleague did not tell me how much it costs either but she did share the hassle of packing up all the stuff and moving out temporary to her mom's place to do her renovation was quite tiring.

But, really do envy your WIW haha.. I am not doing it so have to live with a much smaller wardrobe. Will just keep all my lesser worn clothes in the other rooms to avoid the clutter.. Bo pian.. haha

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Yah the tiles at Rice Fields at definitely more expensive. The range of concrete and wood lookalike tiles for my selection ranges from $7+ to $13+. But the quality on the surface finishing and design justify it. I haven't had a chance to go full scale on my Reno hunt yet as I probably only getting my new 4Rm BTO this Sept. Will check out the other tiles store like Hafary and SBH before I can comment whether the Asian countries made ones are already ok for me. Budget constraints

I didn't get any samples as I also haven't get a contractor yet. I believe need the contractor's "blessings" before I commit on tile purchase.

For 1200 x 1200 mm tiles, the salesperson was telling me that tile wastage with regards to the house floorplan configuration is a potential factor why it was not preferred. There are 900 x 450 mm tiles as well.

Yes I think our ID did mention this problem of wastage, but I'm the 1200 x 1200 sized tiles will look gorgeous. $7-13 is really ex! But if your living area is not huge then I guess it's still ok.

Guess approx, 1.5k up for hollow block solid wall for 10ft.

This excluding making good the flooring, depending tiles, laminates,HERF or even marble.Also there is the paint work to take note as well.

Not forgetting the dust, rubble and the inconvenience of staying at home of looking after your home, after all you are still staying there during the chaos.

Hmm 1.5k amortised over the number of years we will be using the wiw is fine I guess, but you're right about the inconvenience and dust etc! :sport-smiley-018: Well, we've got 10-12 years to prepare ourselves mentally for this, so I think we'll be fine!

:good:

Wow OceanEleven,

You are really very knowledgeable about all these costs :good:

Was about to reply Vicx that I have no idea how much it costs than I saw your post. My colleague did not tell me how much it costs either but she did share the hassle of packing up all the stuff and moving out temporary to her mom's place to do her renovation was quite tiring.

But, really do envy your WIW haha.. I am not doing it so have to live with a much smaller wardrobe. Will just keep all my lesser worn clothes in the other rooms to avoid the clutter.. Bo pian.. haha

Having a smaller wardrobe could actually be a good this - buy less, hoard less :good:

Quality, not quantity as they say!

Oh yes, thanks for the lead on Best Light. Will check out the place the next time I head in. Good luck on your purchases this week!

Edited by vicx1234

Tiling by Evorich

So Evorich came down yesterday to install our flooring for the rooms. Here are some thoughts on that:

- We hadn't thought at all about the orientation of the tiles until the Evorich installer called me up. I had to rush down to our unit to ensure that we laid it the way it should be laid, which is horizontal relative lengthwise to the unit (same as kitchen).

- The skirting was actually of a vastly different colour (see below) than the tile. When I called up the Evorich salesperson, he mentioned that it was the closest they had and everyone had used it without complaint. Any thoughts? How can it be that they don't have skirting which is at least of a similar colour? Whatever the case, we think the skirting kindda disrupts the look of the rooms so we should be painting over them.

p75a.jpg

- It appears that our contractor's tiler did not do a great job cement screeding the master bedroom where the wall had been hacked. As a result, the floor feels uneven in parts there, and creates a hollow noise when walking over. Getting our contractor down to rectify this and then relay the Evorich tiles.

- Colour of the tiles: we chose Durban Oak for the colour of our tiles and it seems that it looks very different under sunlight and particularly in camera images. Think the colour rendering of my smartphone camera is not terribly accurate, resulting in an almost purplish hue *EEKS*. The wife wasn't pleased at all with the look of the tiles when I showed her the pics, but I assured her that it would work out fine with all the furnishings in.

Does anyone else feel the same way, as in all the tiles seem out of place until the furniture actually comes in?

Anyway, more pics of our place with the tiles up.

vm7q.jpg

ufmj.jpg

0ym3.jpg

4mrt.jpg

l6bm.jpg

Edited by vicx1234

Nice pix. What shade of white did you use on your walls? (Apologies if this was asked/answered before)

thanks! I'll check and let you know? I can't remember off the top of my head but it was a bright shade of white as opposed to cream.

I'm quite sure there are additional colour of skirting that can be used.

The other option is to forgo skirting :)

That's what I went with.

Nice pix. What shade of white did you use on your walls? (Apologies if this was asked/answered before)

ok found it! We used a white from Nippon Paint called Snow Flakes (code 1164) - it was the brightest white available from the selection. Loving the choice!

I'm quite sure there are additional colour of skirting that can be used.

The other option is to forgo skirting :)

That's what I went with.

tell me about it, feels like they ran out of the colour and just gave me something else and passed it off as 'normal'

I actually don't like skirting, but for practical reasons (mopping etc), we decided to get it. Really can't stand the colour of it now. Paint paint paint!

Hi PTopaz,

I went Rice Field last Sat to check out their range of Cement Screed lookalike tiles! You will be blew away with the quality of it! They also intro a black graphite tile which I thought was really masculine and cool! They have slim tile where the thickness is unbelievably thin and also those standard thickness in 1200mm x 1200mm.

I still fancy the raw 80s light grey very very slightly cloudy cement screed look...its so timeless....

it's like wood flooring....never go out of style... =)

Tiling by Evorich

So Evorich came down yesterday to install our flooring for the rooms. Here are some thoughts on that:

- We hadn't thought at all about the orientation of the tiles until the Evorich installer called me up. I had to rush down to our unit to ensure that we laid it the way it should be laid, which is horizontal relative lengthwise to the unit (same as kitchen).

- The skirting was actually of a vastly different colour (see below) than the tile. When I called up the Evorich salesperson, he mentioned that it was the closest they had and everyone had used it without complaint. Any thoughts? How can it be that they don't have skirting which is at least of a similar colour? Whatever the case, we think the skirting kindda disrupts the look of the rooms so we should be painting over them.

p75a.jpg

- It appears that our contractor's tiler did not do a great job cement screeding the master bedroom where the wall had been hacked. As a result, the floor feels uneven in parts there, and creates a hollow noise when walking over. Getting our contractor down to rectify this and then relay the Evorich tiles.

- Colour of the tiles: we chose Durban Oak for the colour of our tiles and it seems that it looks very different under sunlight and particularly in camera images. Think the colour rendering of my smartphone camera is not terribly accurate, resulting in an almost purplish hue *EEKS*. The wife wasn't pleased at all with the look of the tiles when I showed her the pics, but I assured her that it would work out fine with all the furnishings in.

Does anyone else feel the same way, as in all the tiles seem out of place until the furniture actually comes in?

Anyway, more pics of our place with the tiles up.

vm7q.jpg

ufmj.jpg

0ym3.jpg

4mrt.jpg

l6bm.jpg

My fren's place used the same color vinyl tiles... its true that it doesn't look good on pictures...

but when looking at it 'live", it gives a very cosy vintage look....

My fren's place used the same color vinyl tiles... its true that it doesn't look good on pictures...

but when looking at it 'live", it gives a very cosy vintage look....

thanks for the feedback PTopaz, my wife will be very glad to hear that! :D She thinks the tiles look "ghastly and hideous" in the pictures :wacko:

you see, she's overseas now and is only able to view the tiles through pictures. Too bad my camera can't capture the correct colour.

Edited by vicx1234

Actually I think the skirting contrast is ok leh :D

But agree, they tend to have less matching choices for the darker laminates (settled on a lighter one for my flooring)

• Like 1

Actually I think the skirting contrast is ok leh :D

But agree, they tend to have less matching choices for the darker laminates (settled on a lighter one for my flooring)

Actually the biggest problem I have with the skirting is that it disturbs the flow between our charcoal accent wall and the floor cos it's a different colour all together!

Now we are thinking of whether to paint over it (which defeats the purpose of having a skirting) or just removing it altogether. sigh. decisions.

for your toilet, noticed the two holes for toiletries.

does that mean your toilet will become slight smaller as you need to build a small additional wall in order to produce the two holes?