Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
vicx1234

A "scandustrial" Concept ~ Sengkang Ea

wow cool.... I love matt look cement screed with light shade....

which shop did u get the tiles from? Can I just say "I want to looks for tiles that looks like cement screed" and they will bring me to it?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

wow cool.... I love matt look cement screed with light shade....

which shop did u get the tiles from? Can I just say "I want to looks for tiles that looks like cement screed" and they will bring me to it?

PTopaz, we got the tiles at Soon Bee Huat at Toh Guan. Managed to find the code from the picture, just tell them the cement screed tile with code number: HT-AT6004. Just hope that they have stock cos another forumer tried to get the same tile but they didn't have it in the lighter shade, so she got the darker shade one instead.

good luck and can't wait to see it up in your living room. :jammin:

for the other cement screed tiles that I showed you above, they were from a variety of other shops along balestier - hafary, lian seng hin etc.

Edited by vicx1234

Looking at your post make me so wanted to get the cement creed...

However I know my mum will sure rebuke and nag at me for choosing it ... LoL ~~~

PTopaz, we got the tiles at Soon Bee Huat at Toh Guan. Managed to find the code from the picture, just tell them the cement screed tile with code number: HT-AT6004. Just hope that they have stock cos another forumer tried to get the same tile but they didn't have it in the lighter shade, so she got the darker shade one instead.

good luck and can't wait to see it up in your living room. :jammin:

for the other cement screed tiles that I showed you above, they were from a variety of other shops along balestier - hafary, lian seng hin etc.

Thanks Vicx,

In the case I will put a deposit for the tiles even before I finalise my contractor so as to cater for the lead time to wait for the tiles.....

The shade of the cement screed look is impt... I will not settle for other shades if it's not wad I want... =)

thank you so much....

• Like 1

Hi PTopaz,

I went Rice Field last Sat to check out their range of Cement Screed lookalike tiles! You will be blew away with the quality of it! They also intro a black graphite tile which I thought was really masculine and cool! They have slim tile where the thickness is unbelievably thin and also those standard thickness in 1200mm x 1200mm.

Morning all, hope everyone's weekend was a good one. Spent yesterday in JB buying lights for the place :D:D

Looking at your post make me so wanted to get the cement creed...

However I know my mum will sure rebuke and nag at me for choosing it ... LoL ~~~

Songz, we have received similar reactions from the older generation, because cement screed was considered a poor man's way of tiling in the past I suppose? Haha :lol: But if you really like it you'll have to convince your mom by showing pictures of how nice this industrial/scandi style can be.

Just a note that the grouting will come off over time leaving behind ugly hollow lines which look like uniform cracks on the 'concrete screed'. So you must remember to get the contract of your tiler direct so that he can help you to touch up when necessary.

For normal tile owners, we usually use a grouting 'seal' to prevent the grouting from wearing off so easily but it's a bit shiny after application and thus not suitable for you..

hey diva79, thanks for the tip! I didn't even know you need to apply a grouting seal, thought since we'd chosen cement screed tiles we would have already rid ourselves of the maintenance issue. But I'll ask our ID about this. Thanks ya.

Thanks Vicx,

In the case I will put a deposit for the tiles even before I finalise my contractor so as to cater for the lead time to wait for the tiles.....

The shade of the cement screed look is impt... I will not settle for other shades if it's not wad I want... =)

thank you so much....

most welcome! Along the lines of what Danmify mentioned in his last post, do check out a few other stores just to make sure that you've seen the entire range of options. You never know what better tiles you may come across. Trust that you will find the perfect one for you. :D

Hi PTopaz,

I went Rice Field last Sat to check out their range of Cement Screed lookalike tiles! You will be blew away with the quality of it! They also intro a black graphite tile which I thought was really masculine and cool! They have slim tile where the thickness is unbelievably thin and also those standard thickness in 1200mm x 1200mm.

Wow the black graphite tile sounds interesting. Did you manage to snap any pictures? Also, some people have mentioned that Rice Field's prices are more expensive, did you find this to be the case? Initially we wanted the bigger 1200 mm x 1200 mm tiles because that would mean less grouting lines, but our ID advised against it. On hindsight it could have been because he was afraid that his tiler might find it too difficult to lay in a HDB flat as opposed to a big bungalow where the floor area is larger? Hmm...

Hi OceanEleven, thanks for your input. Practicality speaking, that approach makes the most sense and it's a bit of a luxury on our part to have such a big MBR and convert a room into a WIW. Our long term plan is to stay in this house for at least 10 years, and adjust accordingly depending on how many kids come along. If 1 or 2, they can live together in the same room for at least 10 years or so until they need their own space and if need be, we can then convert the study back into a proper room (albeit smaller than the other rooms).

We will be using a pole wardrobe system for the wiw, so that should aid a bit in terms of reinstatement later on. But agreed, it will be more troublesome than leaving it intact. If you don't mind, how much did you spend on your reinstatement works?

Hi,

This post may come in too late but just to share what my colleague told me. She also regretted hacking one wall to create a bigger master room. She just did her renovation again after staying in the house for 12 years as her kids are all grown up. However, she did share that building a concrete wall is very expensive hence she just did a board wall to save on costs.

However, you may upgrade after 5 years hence this may not be a problem to you! ;)

vicx1234, i was in JB over the weekend too! We left Singapore just before 9am already got jam!

Went to YES Electrical at Pelangi to get KDK baby fans and Hwa Ann to get lights. What did you get??

Morning all, hope everyone's weekend was a good one. Spent yesterday in JB buying lights for the place :D:D

Hi,

This post may come in too late but just to share what my colleague told me. She also regretted hacking one wall to create a bigger master room. She just did her renovation again after staying in the house for 12 years as her kids are all grown up. However, she did share that building a concrete wall is very expensive hence she just did a board wall to save on costs.

However, you may upgrade after 5 years hence this may not be a problem to you! ;)

hey iceage, it definitely is a case of enjoy now, pay for it (dearly) later. Much like purchasing a car if you ask me haha. :bleah:

It's always difficult finding a balance isn't it, between luxury and practicality. In this case, luxury won the day. Hopefully practicality doesn't come back and bite us too hard in the a$$ later down the road. :help: We'd better spend more time in our WIW now then, fully amortise the utility and satisfaction we paid for.

Do you know how much it costs to erect a 10 ft concrete wall? At least we can prepare ourselves mentally to pay for it when the time comes (if it does).

vicx1234, i was in JB over the weekend too! We left Singapore just before 9am already got jam!

Went to YES Electrical at Pelangi to get KDK baby fans and Hwa Ann to get lights. What did you get??

wah 9 am, that's really early. We were fortunate enough not to be stuck in too long of a jam when we went in at 1 pm. :good:

I was there yesterday to pay a second visit to Starworld lighting at Jalan Rosmerah. We didn't buy enough lights the first time around unfortunately. But guess what, they ran out of stock of the particular downlight that we previously bought! We were supposed to get 4 more downlights but they only had 1, so we drove around Permas Jaya trying to locate a similar piece but no one had it or was also out of stock. Looks like I'm going to have to buy it locally at a higher price.

:no:

We also chanced upon this bedframe and mattress shop, ANZ Home Furniture around the area and apparently they are the local dealers for Dunlopillo mattresses. They had some pretty good CNY deals going on, but we have already bought our mattress, so no room for regret. The other couple that I went with are considering, and if you haven't already gotten yours, you may want to check them out.

Where is hwa ann? Are their prices ok and how's the quality of their lights? Heard for quite alot of shops in JB, prices are cheap but the lights don't last very long.

Yah the tiles at Rice Fields at definitely more expensive. The range of concrete and wood lookalike tiles for my selection ranges from $7+ to $13+. But the quality on the surface finishing and design justify it. I haven't had a chance to go full scale on my Reno hunt yet as I probably only getting my new 4Rm BTO this Sept. Will check out the other tiles store like Hafary and SBH before I can comment whether the Asian countries made ones are already ok for me. Budget constraints

I didn't get any samples as I also haven't get a contractor yet. I believe need the contractor's "blessings" before I commit on tile purchase.

For 1200 x 1200 mm tiles, the salesperson was telling me that tile wastage with regards to the house floorplan configuration is a potential factor why it was not preferred. There are 900 x 450 mm tiles as well.

It is never too late for there are always new home makers who might be considering this option as well.

End of the day, it is a personal preference, weighing out the pros and cons. Some have the luxury of having the place to 2 while some cater for 4.

Once you hit 30s, time files,before you know it, your little princes and princess are teenagers already. :notti:

• Like 1

Do you know how much it costs to erect a 10 ft concrete wall? At least we can prepare ourselves mentally to pay for it when the time comes (if it does).

Guess approx, 1.5k up for hollow block solid wall for 10ft.

This excluding making good the flooring, depending tiles, laminates,HERF or even marble.Also there is the paint work to take note as well.

Not forgetting the dust, rubble and the inconvenience of staying at home of looking after your home, after all you are still staying there during the chaos.

wah 9 am, that's really early. We were fortunate enough not to be stuck in too long of a jam when we went in at 1 pm. :good:

I was there yesterday to pay a second visit to Starworld lighting at Jalan Rosmerah. We didn't buy enough lights the first time around unfortunately. But guess what, they ran out of stock of the particular downlight that we previously bought! We were supposed to get 4 more downlights but they only had 1, so we drove around Permas Jaya trying to locate a similar piece but no one had it or was also out of stock. Looks like I'm going to have to buy it locally at a higher price.

:no:

We also chanced upon this bedframe and mattress shop, ANZ Home Furniture around the area and apparently they are the local dealers for Dunlopillo mattresses. They had some pretty good CNY deals going on, but we have already bought our mattress, so no room for regret. The other couple that I went with are considering, and if you haven't already gotten yours, you may want to check them out.

Where is hwa ann? Are their prices ok and how's the quality of their lights? Heard for quite alot of shops in JB, prices are cheap but the lights don't last very long.

Hey Vicx1234,

I went to Best Light in Jalan Rosmerah to purchase all my lights, fans and water tank storage. Water tank same price as the other shop that I went to but the lights are cheaper compared to other shops that I have scouted. It is also at Jalan Rosmerah. Just google Public Bank and you will find it. Its the same row as Public bank but the light shop is located at the second floor.

However, a note of caution is, you must have loads of patience as the place is usually filled with ppl and the lady boss will be everywhere at the same time. So for those with little patience, please avoid this shop as I have seen some customers blowing up personally :bleah:

I will be going there again this Saturday as I have to collect one last light which I have ordered previously

Oh, as for ANZ, i have personally bought some small furnitures from them before. At Setia Tropika branch. However, the service is really bad. Hence, this time round, I avoided that shop and went to another furniture shop that I have googled online. Called Hing Fuat at taman perling.

All the best in your hunting for furniture and fittings for your home!! :P