Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
koori

Clueless Single's 4Rm Reno

The film on the windows is a must thing if you want privacy without drawing curtains. I DIY two kitchen windows myself and simply loved the big floral designs on the green background. Mine blocked out sunlight too!! You can find appropriate ones at DIY stores. But the removing part I am not confident myself!

Edited by fats

• Like 1

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

The film on the windows is a must thing if you want privacy without drawing curtains. I DIY two kitchen windows myself and simply loved the big floral designs on the green background. Mine blocked out sunlight too!! You can find appropriate ones at DIY stores. But the removing part I am not confident myself!

My service balcony windows are new, so no film. Maybe should start the DIY there. Does the sunlight blocking also mean darkness? Coz my kitchen's natural source of light comes from service balcony, afraid of making it too dim/dark there.

Hi Koori,

Can pm me your contractor's contact? Looking for one to do up my unit as well.

Thanks in advance!

Hi pepper,

PM sent. Good luck in your contractor/ID hunting. :)

koori said:

My service balcony windows are new, so no film. Maybe should start the DIY there. Does the sunlight blocking also mean darkness? Coz my kitchen's natural source of light comes from service balcony, afraid of making it too dim/dark there.

Not necessarily. It all depends on the colour of the film. Privacy films come in many colours and styles. If your priority is maximum privacy and minimum light blockage, I recommend go for the patterned ones. Choose big patterns or floral designs on translucent vinyl( the lighter the background colour the better).This color should not be evident when looking through the window from the inside, but it might be more obvious when looking at it from the outside.

You can also go for sheer decorative film which is ideal for letting maximum light and color penetration while still lightly obscuring the view through a window.Semi-translucent films block out images while allowing some light to penetrate. And because you can cut and fit film to any size, you need cover only as much of the glass as is necessary, or plan a design that is only partially cloudy.

Be extra careful when choosing coloured ones as certain colours might get reflected in the room like red and purple.

Edited by fats

• Like 1

koori said:

Not necessarily. It all depends on the colour of the film. Privacy films come in many colours and styles. If your priority is maximum privacy and minimum light blockage, I recommend go for the patterned ones. Choose big patterns or floral designs on translucent vinyl( the lighter the background colour the better).This color should not be evident when looking through the window from the inside, but it might be more obvious when looking at it from the outside.

You can also go for sheer decorative film which is ideal for letting maximum light and color penetration while still lightly obscuring the view through a window.Semi-translucent films block out images while allowing some light to penetrate. And because you can cut and fit film to any size, you need cover only as much of the glass as is necessary, or plan a design that is only partially cloudy.

Be extra careful when choosing coloured ones as certain colours might get reflected in the room like red and purple.

thanks for the tips. Will go DIY shops look around, hopefully soon. :)

Curtains up...a bit early, but since they were done.....and it seems I suck at measuring. Should probably have altered the curtains another 2 cm shorter so that the folds don't touch the ground? Oh well, still looks ok, so will just leave it and not go bother neighbour auntie again. haha....

Pardon the stool, should have removed it before taking the photo. :P

This set of curtain is only $29.90, so pardon the 'thinness'...heh....I prefer to still have some light shining through.

IMG_2526_zps64cc3c99.jpg

This set is $59. Material is thicker and feels nicer. Again bad measuring....should have gone about 2 cm up. :P

IMG_2532_zpse21600ec.jpg

Curtains are really much cheaper at Ikea as compared to custom made ones. Plain though. Good enough for me...and the beige is just nice against my flooring. :D

iQuartz top completed.

The glass hob isn't installed yet though. It's just placed in the space cut out in the countertop. I could still lift the corner up if I try hard enough...LOL. This thing is very heavy!

IMG_2518_zpsd1f7ca30.jpg

As I mentioned in earlier posts, I ended up getting iCrystal [instead of iZen] coz I was getting a dark colored laminate for the cabinets and wanted contrast.

iCrystal isn't pure white. There are flecks of color and shimmery flecks. Here's a close-up at the sink area. It looks like it's not as hard to maintain as pure white. :)

IMG_2535_zps97f9aa0e.jpg

And they must always leave their brand name....like you will forget what you have meh? Mine is in the corner, at the smallish new wall built up, so luckily not visible from the living room view. :P

IMG_2536_zps228a84d0.jpg

Edited by koori

iQuartz top completed.

The glass hob isn't installed yet though. It's just placed in the space cut out in the countertop. I could still lift the corner up if I try hard enough...LOL. This thing is very heavy!

IMG_2518_zpsd1f7ca30.jpg

As I mentioned in earlier posts, I ended up getting iCrystal [instead of iZen] coz I was getting a dark colored laminate for the cabinets and wanted contrast.

iCrystal isn't pure white. There are flecks of color and shimmery flecks. Here's a close-up at the sink area. It looks like it's not as hard to maintain as pure white. :)

IMG_2535_zps97f9aa0e.jpg

And they must always leave their brand name....like you will forget what you have meh? Mine is in the corner, at the smallish new wall built up, so luckily not visible from the living room view. :P

IMG_2536_zps228a84d0.jpg

Yeap your kitchen is definitely looking good! I don't know about you but my hands are itching to cook in the new kitchen! Yes, that is how good looking it is!! Anyway that is how I feel about kitchens. Don't go and play play lifting the uninstalled glass hob !! You don't want to damage it.

It is good to have the brand name displayed you know. There are people who don't know the differences between acryllic, pvc, frosted glass doors and BESGLASS doors! I bet there must be people who don't know the differences between solid surface, granite or iQuartz tops!! But they know how to READ!!

Yeap your kitchen is definitely looking good! I don't know about you but my hands are itching to cook in the new kitchen! Yes, that is how good looking it is!! Anyway that is how I feel about kitchens. Don't go and play play lifting the uninstalled glass hob !! You don't want to damage it.

It is good to have the brand name displayed you know. There are people who don't know the differences between acryllic, pvc, frosted glass doors and BESGLASS doors! I bet there must be people who don't know the differences between solid surface, granite or iQuartz tops!! But they know how to READ!!

Thanks for confirming it looks good!

Haha.....actually me very newbie so a lot of stuff I leave it up to contractor to suggest and I just follow. And I was so fickle minded. First asked for granite, then decided to get quartz after seeing the blogs.... :D

Overall view of the kitchen from the living room :

[i switched on the lights coz my HP camera captured blobs of grey without the light....when in person it's totally not that dim. Must be my HP camera is 'dim'. ]

IMG_2542_zps4547a00a.jpg

The broken mirror saga I mentioned about 2 weeks ago? I went to buy another piece of the mirror. Lost the case with the seller...3 weeks since delivery was really too long. The screws were already done on the wall, so all I had to do was to adjust the hanging tabs on the back of the mirror to the correct length and aim the tabs to the screws on the wall to hang it up.

Sounds easy right? And i took 15 minutes just to do this. Hahhaha.....I didn't bring testpen with me - needed that to loosen the screw to adjust the hanging tabs. Ended up I resorted to using my keychain. [keychain is in shape of a rabbit, and it's leg is flat...just like a testpen] LOL.

Which reminds me. I should go get a set of screwdrivers and testpen and pliers and what other tools are usually handy in households arh? :P

IMG_2521_zpscc41cec6.jpg

The shower screen door full view ~

IMG_2522_zpsecfe5e2b.jpg

Cannot open the glass door full 90 degrees due to the shower bench. Alex kept telling me not recommended coz my bathroom very small.....will have problems with the glass door.

I insisted so he came up with this diagonal shower bench with the wider seat at the other side so my big backside can fit lor. hahhahaha. see my very big reflection on the glass door? :rofl:

Overall view of the kitchen from the living room :

[i switched on the lights coz my HP camera captured blobs of grey without the light....when in person it's totally not that dim. Must be my HP camera is 'dim'. ]

The broken mirror saga I mentioned about 2 weeks ago? I went to buy another piece of the mirror. Lost the case with the seller...3 weeks since delivery was really too long. The screws were already done on the wall, so all I had to do was to adjust the hanging tabs on the back of the mirror to the correct length and aim the tabs to the screws on the wall to hang it up.

Sounds easy right? And i took 15 minutes just to do this. Hahhaha.....I didn't bring testpen with me - needed that to loosen the screw to adjust the hanging tabs. Ended up I resorted to using my keychain. [keychain is in shape of a rabbit, and it's leg is flat...just like a testpen] LOL.

Which reminds me. I should go get a set of screwdrivers and testpen and pliers and what other tools are usually handy in households arh? :P

You can consider my list of things to buy for your new home!

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/62505-top-kew-drive/?p=828391

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/62505-top-kew-drive/?p=837895

Cannot open the glass door full 90 degrees due to the shower bench. Alex kept telling me not recommended coz my bathroom very small.....will have problems with the glass door.

I insisted so he came up with this diagonal shower bench with the wider seat at the other side so my big backside can fit lor. hahhahaha. see my very big reflection on the glass door? :rofl:

Most important to note is not how big you are but what you are wearing (or not)!