Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
koori

Clueless Single's 4Rm Reno

Thanks for the guide! I did read your blog, but didn't read all of it..this chunk didn't register in my memory at all... haha....alamak, should have read it earlier, didn't know ikea have tool sets. I just went ikea yesterday and not feeling like going again. Really tedious waiting for the shuttle bus, it doesn't follow the estimated timing posted on ikea's website at all.

Oh well, there are lots of hardware shops around my new place, shall go walk walk this afternoon and see what is available. :)

For hand-drills.....is there anything wrong with re-chargeable types? Not enough power arh? I was considering a bosch screwdriver cum drill rechargeable set leh....though not the mini ones though. I think won't be able to drill concrete.

I have handled power drill before (helped mom ~ she's the handywoman around our place, not dad. LOL), so I know concrete walls are tough.

Wah, I like your kitchen leh. swee swee! :good:

thank you. :) I'm sort of glad it worked out...haha...kitchen is the place where a lot of my budget went to. Must be swee else I heart pain. hahaha....

Wow, your kitchen is so spacious! Looks like you can even fit a dining table there.

Wow. You can guess my plans? haha...I plan to put the dining table at the corner connecting to living room. Resale flats tend to have more space in kitchens I think.

like the idea of the bench in the shower area!

reminds me to steam bath / sauna... :)

:) I wanted a place to sit while showering. Went googling shower benches and show the contractor photographs ask him to do.

Haha. I think he had to think quite long coz he got to siam the glass door and still have enough space for the very big me to get in and out of the shower area. I totally wasn't able to visualise when he was discussing with me saying he will do diagonal bench, bottom will leave it open so can put shampoo if I want..

Glad it turned out still pretty....and useable! :D

• Like 1

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

For myself, these are the things I must have in my toolbox :

Screw drivers (Interchangeable sizes & types), hammer (Claw at 1 end preferred), cable ties, adjustable spanner, measuring tape, allen key set, pilers, level (some ppl use phone nowadays) and multi purpose jackknife

(*Hopes this help)

Thanks for the guide! I did read your blog, but didn't read all of it..this chunk didn't register in my memory at all... haha....alamak, should have read it earlier, didn't know ikea have tool sets. I just went ikea yesterday and not feeling like going again. Really tedious waiting for the shuttle bus, it doesn't follow the estimated timing posted on ikea's website at all.

Oh well, there are lots of hardware shops around my new place, shall go walk walk this afternoon and see what is available. :)

For hand-drills.....is there anything wrong with re-chargeable types? Not enough power arh? I was considering a bosch screwdriver cum drill rechargeable set leh....though not the mini ones though. I think won't be able to drill concrete.

I have handled power drill before (helped mom ~ she's the handywoman around our place, not dad. LOL), so I know concrete walls are tough.

The Ikea tool set is good as it has most of the basic tools: hammer with claw, screwdrive with changeable tips, pliers, adjustable wrench. You can buy most of these or in bigger sizes in the hardware stores but most likely they are purchased separately and not all in one box.

Re-chargeable power drills - I am not sure but I don't think powerful enough for concrete walls. Anyway, they may not last as long.

Leveler - someone used iphone to hang a painting and complained to me it was slanted. I said maybe the app was calibrated or the iphone case side was not even.

There are cordless ones that can drill concrete. But those you find on qoo10 not meant for that purpose. Mainly, to drill tough surface like concrete or tiles, you need more torque, which usually means more power. Cordless ones can do the job but will run out fast. Hence people usually go for corded model.

Tried to remove the window film during the weekend....

For those who are keen to try, the youtube video method works....though not as well on my really really old window film. It doesn't come off as cleanly as shown on the video.

IMG_2549_zpsbaeb0ec1.jpg

The reason why I wanted to remove the film and replace was I suspected the film is discolored after all these years. The windows never looks clean even after massive cleaning. Alex was kind enough to get his workers to clean the windows too during general cleaning...but it still looked grimy somehow.

It looks fine from afar on the photos....but in person you can see the 'brownish' tinge. And the film I pulled off is really brown tinged. :D

IMG_2551_zps821d5efa.jpg

This is as far as I got before I gave up....started at 1pm, gave up around 6.30pm.

IMG_2552_zps07a7e3c5.jpg

Took 5.5 hours to remove 2 big panes + 3 small panes of film. And those 'whitish' stuff you see on the window are glue residue....which will take even more time to clean~

Waving the white flag....I surrender! :bow:

Sad to say, I have arthritis. It's usually associated with the old age, but I have a medical condition that causes this...haven't hit 40s but already have 60 year old bones..未老先衰。

This work is super unfriendly on my finger joints....had red swollen finger joints by the evening..inflammation coming liao..... :help:

Decided to let the professionals earn the money instead. Called Alex, my contractor this morning and he'll arrange.
For those considering DIY removal, you might have better success than me.... [i doubt anyone else as suay as me to kenna arthritis in mid 30s.]
Stuff I found out :
1. Let the water soak for longer the better, more water the better.
2. Stainless steel blades / flat edged scraper do not harm the glass at all. No scratch even when I scraped pretty hard.
[Disclaimer : Try on a small not noticeable area first. I'm not sure if there are different 'grades' of glass out there. ]
3. Glue residue actually just sits 'on top' of the glass. Spray lots of soap water, flat edged scraper actually can scrape them off.
[i did read off the net that vegetable oil / peanut butter {because of the oil content} works to dissolve the glue residue, with some rubbing, as well. I didn't have either of these with me at my unit so haven't try, but both are easy to find stuff as compared to strong chemicals and confirm no harm to your skin....so would probably have tried if I did manage to go on with the DIY ]
Sobs. First DIY try and have to abort it halfway. Not even 1 room's window film completely removed. :~

Took leave specially today to wait for stuff at the unit. More pictures less talk~

First arrival, sofa. The two throw pillows were complimentary.

IMG_2577_zps7546e5af.jpg

2nd arrival, my super single bed frame and mattress. The bed frame is FOC from the purchase of the mattress.

IMG_2554_zps07c436f7.jpg

The free mattress protector and pillow that came with the mattress as well :

IMG_2558_zpsfd360a77.jpg

More pics of the bed. I chose a greyish colored synthetic leather for the headboard...Think it looks more like taupe in most of the pictures.

My plain Akemi bedsheet in this photo~

IMG_2572_zps6ad42dd0.jpgIMG_2557_zpsb210c98d.jpg

Last delivery received today:

Fridge, microwave ~

IMG_2575_zps76d01de7.jpg

The design at the side which i mentioned quite a number of posts ago...this is where the plug for the fridge went through to connect to the power outlet. :D

IMG_2563_zpsb6648c83.jpg

Tried to remove the window film during the weekend....

For those who are keen to try, the youtube video method works....though not as well on my really really old window film. It doesn't come off as cleanly as shown on the video.

The reason why I wanted to remove the film and replace was I suspected the film is discolored after all these years. The windows never looks clean even after massive cleaning. Alex was kind enough to get his workers to clean the windows too during general cleaning...but it still looked grimy somehow.

It looks fine from afar on the photos....but in person you can see the 'brownish' tinge. And the film I pulled off is really brown tinged. :D

This is as far as I got before I gave up....started at 1pm, gave up around 6.30pm.

Took 5.5 hours to remove 2 big panes + 3 small panes of film. And those 'whitish' stuff you see on the window are glue residue....which will take even more time to clean~

Waving the white flag....I surrender! :bow:

Sad to say, I have arthritis. It's usually associated with the old age, but I have a medical condition that causes this...haven't hit 40s but already have 60 year old bones..未老先衰。

This work is super unfriendly on my finger joints....had red swollen finger joints by the evening..inflammation coming liao..... :help:

Decided to let the professionals earn the money instead. Called Alex, my contractor this morning and he'll arrange.
For those considering DIY removal, you might have better success than me.... [i doubt anyone else as suay as me to kenna arthritis in mid 30s.]
Stuff I found out :
1. Let the water soak for longer the better, more water the better.
2. Stainless steel blades / flat edged scraper do not harm the glass at all. No scratch even when I scraped pretty hard.
[Disclaimer : Try on a small not noticeable area first. I'm not sure if there are different 'grades' of glass out there. ]
3. Glue residue actually just sits 'on top' of the glass. Spray lots of soap water, flat edged scraper actually can scrape them off.
[i did read off the net that vegetable oil / peanut butter {because of the oil content} works to dissolve the glue residue, with some rubbing, as well. I didn't have either of these with me at my unit so haven't try, but both are easy to find stuff as compared to strong chemicals and confirm no harm to your skin....so would probably have tried if I did manage to go on with the DIY ]
Sobs. First DIY try and have to abort it halfway. Not even 1 room's window film completely removed. :~

Can share who your contractor look for to remove the film? After seeing your post, think I better dun try to do it myself. lol

Btw, how much your sofa? Looks similar to what I bought........

Should have carpentry above the fridge. Look more uniform.

My fault....:P I am avoiding cabinets that are located high up if you notice, I got no top kitchen cabinets as well.

It's my personal problem lah. Was considering that I can't climb up often...so the less stuff up there near the ceiling that needs maintenance the better.

Looking great! What do you plan to do with the other 2 bedrooms? Study room?

Hi~ nothing much done to the other 2 bedrooms. Likely spare rooms for parents' if they wanna stay over or future rental room. haha...

Can share who your contractor look for to remove the film? After seeing your post, think I better dun try to do it myself. lol

Not sure who my contractor look for. I will try asking him if he can give me the individual contacts.

Must have the patience and time to remove the film....do-able, but very tough! Especially frustrated when the film starts coming off in smallish strips! I do not recommend the penknife. The scraper works better..... hahaha.....Not sure if the professionals will have it easier. Maybe it's just a walk in the park for them.

Sofa is $1099, GST included.

ahboi ~ on second thought, wait for my sticker film to be up first, then see see the workmanship before recommending/getting contacts...just in case.... *cross fingers, cross toes, touch wood* !

Haha....

for the window film maybe u can try use hair dryer to heat it up before u peel or scrap it off

Thanks for the tip ~ I offically wave white flag liao. As my sis says, me keyboard user should stick to keyboard work, earn liao then pay the experts to do. :D

Already throw to contractor go get sub-con experts to take off the window sticker and replace. Currently waiting for contractor to arrange coz I added so last minute. LOL.

ahboi ~ on second thought, wait for my sticker film to be up first, then see see the workmanship before recommending/getting contacts...just in case.... *cross fingers, cross toes, touch wood* !

Haha....

Haha, okie, I wait for you to put first. :lol: