Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Uendibai

New Home @ Yishun

We have finally started our renovation a few days back! :yeah: (sorry to neighbours who have already moved in :bow: )

Just to blog a little on our experiences so far:

Before key collection

Unlike BTO, ours is a DBSS flat so floorings, doors, kitchen, bathrooms, wardrobes, AC are all built-in – basically it is move-in condition flat. Still, we need lights; TV console; study desk; shoe cabinet so...

1. To buy ready-made furniture or custom-make?

We browsed furniture malls a bit but in the end decided to custom-make because:

- I need storage for my shoes! Ready-made ones mostly come in standard dimensions so it's not big enough..

- I want ONE study desk big enough for 2 of us - 2 PCs. Piecing 2 tables together is a NO-NO

- We just want to keep TV cables out of view! :D

For dining area/bedroom - it's KIV

2.What sort of lightings do we want?

L-box seems very popular nowadays - see it in magazines & many homeowners' blogs though some advised us against it because:

- You may find creepy crawlies hiding in the L-box !!:o

- $$$ EXPENSIVE $$$ (false ceiling + all the down-lights etc.)

So hubby initially chose to have conventional ceiling lights. But AMBIENCE IS GOOD with all the L-box thingy so finally decided YES!! :sport-smiley-018: We shall have cove-lights + down-lights!! (anyway by default our toilets already come with false ceiling for down-lights - yah ONLY toilets :dunno:)

3. So next, to engage a contractor or an ID?

To some, this may seem like a no-brainer question. DBSS - why will you need an ID for? Waste $$$. Also most of the people we knew only engaged just a contractor for their BTO flat. Well...

Contractor:

Yes. Definitely cheaper. But most times you're your own designer, cum coordinator if you engage electrician & carpenter separately (scheduling all the works + delivery of items to be installed etc.). I think all these can drive me nuts. And for us, we don't even know like which starts first - ceiling works or electricity works, or both at the same time !!:o

ID:

Definitely my choice - I thought with the right ID, life would be easier LOL. Hubby's ok with it (as long as within budget)! :sport-smiley-018:

(Next post: Our selection of ID & after....)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

For number 2 you may want to consider L-box but without the cove light (Sealing up) thus the lower the possibilities of having creepies ~

4. Selecting our ID

LAZY zz us. Only went round IMM and the home fair @ expo. We hadn’t compared many quotes before we signed @ expo!

MxxxxSq (no chance to meet):

– Chanced upon this ID firm in the magazines & quite liked their designs/visions of designing for a home. So sent an email to enquire. Didn't managed to receive their reply before signing @ expo...

The big C @ expo (not chosen):

– Walked us through their showroom. DBSS package $15k. Definitely out of budget. $15k is sort of a fixed-price (at most is waive GST if you sign @ expo), although items listed in the package are slightly negotiable (e.g. opting for more lighting points instead of a TV feature wall etc.)

The big R @ expo (not chosen):

– Walked us through their showroom & kept promoting their kitchen designs/stucco wall :huh:. Hubby felt the quote should be similar to big C so we walked on.

Idxxxx Interior Design @ expo (chosen):

– Also had packages for BTO/Condos etc. – ranges around $10k. Closer to budget. Best thing was, we can still fine-tune the reno items. The ID (Isaac) we spoke to promised to send a initial quote the next day & he did. Not delivering what's promised is a :no: to us. Hubby’s vibes with him was ok & so was the quote $$$. So we decided to sign with them & end our search! :dancingqueen:

BUT comes a little shock when we went down to place our 10% confirmation – we were told to pay CASH (can't really remember cos' card machine out of order or because in order to waive GST :dunno:). Hubby was ok cos' he can save on GST & it's not like a few $k. THEN when they were issuing the receipt, I noticed the company's name was a little different – Idxxxx-Homes Pte Ltd or something so I questioned them. They said it's their sub-company etc. etc. Because our GST was waived as we signed @ expo, their accounting had to be issued under their sub-company blah blah blah...(say due to company taxes & stuff :dunno:) & he will later resend the quote under this sub-company name etc. I didn't buy their explanation (which really MAY be true how their accounting works :dunno:). To me I don't care. Hey it's like we're speaking with an ID from this ID firm @ expo & we're making payment to another company?? Then thereon dealing with this sub-company?? ( :dunno: did not know/check if the sub-companies had HDB license etc.) :no: I insisted the receipt & all documents be under this ID firm. THEN they said the receipt under this ID firm is used up but if we're not comfortable, the ID will get the receipt from office & pass to my hubby the next day morning :unsure:.

In such circumstance, one will just drop the deal right? LOL we DID NOT. Hubby's ok with whatever sub-company etc. or not :bangwall: . But I was not, so hubby met the ID the next morning to get the receipt.

:bow: We got the 3D designs from the ID few weeks later as promised & did some revisions. After which at this point we'll just hold on to the 3D designs till key collection!

(Next post....Furniture shopping & key collection!)

Furniture shopping before key collection

A woman really loves shopping – LOL that’s so true for me even though it’s furniture instead of clothes/shoes :sport-smiley-018:. I placed my orders for sofa, bed & dining table even BEFORE key collection!

OMG then @ this point, our ID informed us something like he is going back to further his studies !! So he is handing over our project to his colleague (Jxxxx). We were like :jawdrop:!! (will talk about the experiences with Jxxxx as I go along…)

And….FINALLY key collection!

First thing for me was to engage a geomancer - to get the auspicious dates for the “official” opening of the door/renovation start dates/moving-in dates & an onsite fengshui audit (LOL I believe in such stuff :P). After the audit, :help: we have to have a partition on the existing kitchen countertop to separate the stove and the sink area, as they are "too close" (in fengshui aspects):

http://renotalk.com/forum/uploads/gallery_59572_7_15423.jpeg (no solution yet...ID's carpenter has no idea how to..)

Next is defects checking! Thank god we think our unit (compared to a few neighbours) is in a reasonable state – the only major defect we had was a leaking kitchen sink due to silicon sealant not done properly @ the tap. The rest, we considered it minor - e.g. gaps in the grouting; kitchen carpentry not fixed properly (hinges not screwed properly/faulty drawers), as well as some chips here and there. Majority of the stuff (like the most important AC/toilet bowls etc.) are in working order :bow:. A few neighbours had leaking AC/door hinge missing 3 screws out of 5/hollow tiles etc!! STILL it took the developer 1 month+ to 2 months to rectify all our defects! An advice: Check thoroughly! A seemingly small defect now may become a troublesome one to live with later on! TAKE NO CHANCE!

Once the defects were rectified, it’s time for the ID to start work. So WE created a whatsapp group for easy communication – how convenient :notti: .

-1st thing Jxxxx was to go onsite to take exact measurements & double check with us the design that was handed over to him. We took the chance to ask him about the lighting plan on-site & we subsequently made changes to the original plan & design (as you read on later, the change was not communicated to the electrician :angry2:...)

Anyway, so far so good.

-Next, as we had no contacts for electrician, we asked Jxxxx to recommend his electrician. So arrangement was made for his electrician to go on-site & assess the lighting points required for the proposed lighting plan. A rough & verbal discussion was made. We were told that a draft quote will be sent to us for our consideration before we decide to engage his electrician (the confirmed quote will come when the actual electricity works is done during reno). AND AGAIN zz , because we had no other contacts PLUS the quote was quite ok, we decided to engage his electrician as we thought it’ll also be easier for Jxxxx to communicate/work with them :) .

And before his workers start work, it's time to get the lights! SHOPPING TIME AGAIN! In total we paid around $2k plus worth of lights :blink: - in my opinion, quite EXPENSIVE!! (BUT if a relatively higher priced ones will give me less trouble then I'm all for it! LOL anyway hubby is the CFO :bleah: , I'm happy with being the CEO :jammin:

This was what we bought:

• 18 downlights
  • 21 T5 lights (seriously we didn't go think if we needed that much - they say need how many, we buy how many :blink:)
  • 5 Energy bulbs (4 for kitchen, 1 for storeroom)
  • Tracklight (for the walkway to the bedrooms)
  • 1 Hanging light (for the dining area)
  • 1 Ceiling light (for the balcony)
  • Got a door bell & 2 stainless still hooks FOC LOL

At this point we thought why havn't we been asked to see & confirm the laminates for our custom-make furniture?? So WE actually have to raise this to Jxxxx! OMG he thought the previous ID showed & settled this with us already (he basing on the 3D design). To give him a benefit of doubt, we assume that when he took over, he wasn't completely aware of the status of the project (that to us, includes what has been confirmed with the client and what not). ;) Anyway laminates can still be confirmed before carpentry starts, so not too bad.

However we are also starting to feel that he is not really 100% into our project :no:- to us he is like mainly just working based on the quote/3D design, without much suggestions & ideas when we pose him questions ( :dunno: maybe ours is just a small project, or he has other own projects...afterall he's just completing the job that the previous ID left behind..) But still, as long as we raised anything, he'll help look into it.

So thank god, we are on our way to the next stage - renovation finally starts! :yeah:

(Next….our reno schedule & selection of vendors for curtains + storeroom racks + window solar films!)

• Like 1

Renovation schedule:

1st week (started end of Feb): Floor protection + electricity works + ceiling works + measure carpentry

2nd week: Painting

3rd week: Install carpentry

4th week: Install lights + touch ups + cleaning

1st week: BUSY WEEK!

As the schedule was to start on 24 Feb (Mon), we scheduled open-net installation during the weekend afternoon on the 22 Feb (Sat), as well as to meet the curtain vendor for a quotation @ our new house. We were waiting in our house when Jxxxx called to ask if his men could come lay the floor protection. We thought since we were in, why not. Unfortunately the curtain vendor called us to push back the appointment to 3pm because he was stuck with another appointment ;). So @ 3pm, open-net CAME; curtain vendor CAME; renovation people CAME. MADNESS! :oEverybody is like blocking everybody's way (esp. the open-net @ the main door LOL).

1st - Curtain vendor came lugging with him like a heavy load of samples. But oh how friendly and not pushy he is, despite our many questions. Price? With the bulk purchase promotion @ our development, it was about $1.4k (no restrictions on the choice of materials). Well it's not really cheap or expensive - a middle range which we were ok with, so we signed up :yamseng: .

2nd - Open-net people came and we just left them to do the job @ the door LOL.

3rd - The renovation people came. Oh my, the renovation people worked fast and furious. Almost immediately, they started furiously laying the protection from the rooms to the living room. Then the electrician started confirming the points, scribbling on the walls, using the screwdriver to remove the existing switch covers (ouch) - all moving/talking at a furiously fast pace OMG.

We dropped by the following Mon to bring up some drinks & to see what was being done. False ceiling was being done - OMG the drilling! :jawdrop:SUPER NOISY! We just popped in, said hello and goodbye and scrambled off LOL.

Went back during the weekend & nobody was around. :thumbs up: So we went round again to see what has been done. Spotted some stuff to be rectified:

1. Different switch covers (an eyesore - I thought the ID could have had much more initiative than this :angry2:)

http://renotalk.com/forum/uploads/gallery_59572_8_15218.jpeg

2. Wall @ MBR was flushed differently from what's discussed (both sides to balance):

http://renotalk.com/forum/uploads/gallery_59572_10_7764.jpeg

3. Kitchen lights (everybody's headache - the point provided by developer was right @ the laundry poles :bangwall:) - we wanted it to look like this so that there is light source at the washing area & stove/entrance (idea from a fellow neighbour):

http://renotalk.com/forum/uploads/gallery_59572_7_20099.jpeg

Then also as our unit is west-facing, I adamantly wanted solar films installed (serious ones that really does the job) - mainly to minimise heat into the house as much as possible (the only pro with getting alot of sun is us being able to sun clothes @ balcony :notti:). Anyway choices were Llumar, 3M, DIY or some other brands (from the leaflets stuck @ our gate LOL). Though very expensive (about $1.9k), we were bought over by the salesman when he took out a 3M reader and inserted a 3M film to show us the heat rejection %. Then he did it with a few pieces of sample film attached with the leaflets we got. The difference is really there (so we believed :dribble:). So at the end of the day again zz we were bought over by another friendly salesman with good product knowledge LOL.

(Next: 2nd week of reno....& more shopping!)

Hope the issues can be resolved

For the solar film, experience (Current parents' hse and car) tell me to get the better brand if heat rejection is needed

Hope the issues can be resolved

For the solar film, experience (Current parents' hse and car) tell me to get the better brand if heat rejection is needed

Should be easily resolved bah...just SIAN zz ...like hey who's the ID here..BUT compared to those with ID who ran away with $$$, we are still fortunate lah ;)

Yah similar thoughts on the solar films too :D

Oh forgot to mention about the racks for the storeroom - we got GAWA lol & it cost us $618 (another bulk purchase promotion for our development :deal:) - Pole-less joints; sleek look; and sounds super durable :notti:

http://www.gawa.com/ls_series.html

I think many will scold us SIAO :jawdrop: when they get to know we're paying this much for storeroom racks LOL (expecting more slaps comes house-warming time) 8|

Reno 2nd week: Painting

Basically nothing much additional has been completed except for the 1st coat of paint for the highlight walls - Nippon Vinilex 5000 Cocoa Bar for the rooms & Sandstone for the living area, the rest all white.

And the only rectification done was the flushed wall @ MBR. As flushing the wall required brackets to be drilled to the floor then covered with some board then seemingly smoothed with cement, removing the flushed part back to rectify back to the original plan would expose drill holes on our parquet floor :no: . So the best bet was to flush out the other side instead. But OMG they just conveniently "buried" the power socket in this side of the flushed wall :bangwall: (power socket @ the left if you refer pic in post #4) - another thing to note when they wrap up the electricity works!!

Sigh...sometimes it's just :furious:

Anyway not much else (other than lights have been delivered to the new house) so meanwhile it's SHOPPING TIME AGAIN! :dribble:

This time round we went mainly shopping for kitchen items @ Gain City - with my lovely mama cos' ALL kitchen appliances will be sponsored by her! :sport-smiley-004::wub:

Before that we went on our own to the SOoo widely advertised COURTS sale recently LOL - thought we could get some really good deals. Well, delivery has to be within end February so TOO BAD :dunno:. Anyway experience with the sales people weren't at all fantastic so we decide we will spend our $$$ somewhere else, anytime. Ended up we got our stuff from Gain City - saleswoman & salesman we approached at this outlet is uncle-uncle & aunty-aunty so parents clicked well with them :sport-smiley-018: LOL so everything they sell also :thumbs up: .

These are the major items we bought:

1.FRIDGE - Fisher & Paykel (like not a common choice?? :dunno: ...no reviews if good or not either)

http://www.fisherpaykel.com/sg/kitchen/fridges-freezers/fridges/E411TR2/

2.WASHING MACHINE - Also Fisher & Paykel :notti:

http://www.fisherpaykel.com/sg/laundry/washing-machines/front-loaders/WH7560J1%20FP%20SG/

Spent some time deliberating whether to get top-load or front-load (only used top-load in my life). My lovely mama advised/chose this because our kitchen is longish & VERY SMALL, so whatever available space is only enough to walk through, so with a front-load we will at least have some space above to place our laundry. Wise.

3. TV - 42" LG 3D LED smart TV (promo - going at below $1k so hubby is happy to exchange his $$$ for the TV :P)

Additional indulgence:

SIMPLEHUMAN SOAP DISPENSER! (for both our toilets :notti:) So neat! LOL but @ $100+ each :jawdrop:

http://www.simplehuman.com/pumps/wall-mount-pumps

(3rd week....$$$PAYMENT$$$ time...& carpentry is up!)

Some premium stuff you got there.

I don't think anyone will say you are siao (no worry on that) except that its expensive and a bit of bla bla bla ... LoL ~

Most importantly is you like it and you feel its worth it. Its your house and your $$ but of cause we will still put our 2 cents worth in :bleah:

Hope to see more picture updates

Edited by Songz

THEN when they were issuing the receipt, I noticed the company's name was a little different – Idxxxx-Homes Pte Ltd or something so I questioned them. They said it's their sub-company etc. etc. Because our GST was waived as we signed @ expo, their accounting had to be issued under their sub-company blah blah blah...(say due to company taxes & stuff :dunno:) & he will later resend the quote under this sub-company name etc. I didn't buy their explanation (which really MAY be true how their accounting works :dunno:). To me I don't care. Hey it's like we're speaking with an ID from this ID firm @ expo & we're making payment to another company?? Then thereon dealing with this sub-company?? ( :dunno: did not know/check if the sub-companies had HDB license etc.) :no:

I think some companies are setting up 'sister' companies to stay 'within' the range for GST reporting. IRAS says if your turnover is $1mil a year or more, it is compulsory to register for GST. Lower than that, it's voluntary.

Accounting is based on separate legal entity basis. So long as different company name, [ie. different business register number] same management also not considered.

Just to re-assure you. Accounting basis, what they said is true.

*Though would have been better if they told you first. :D

Edited by koori

I think some companies are setting up 'sister' companies to stay 'within' the range for GST reporting. IRAS says if your turnover is $1mil a year or more, it is compulsory to register for GST. Lower than that, it's voluntary.

Accounting is based on separate legal entity basis. So long as different company name, [ie. different business register number] same management also not considered.

Have used GAWA before. More expensive than many others, but their racks look so much better and sturdier

Thanks for the assurance! :yamseng:

:sport-smiley-004: Carpentry is up & surprisingly lights are also up (went round testing the lights :notti:)!

Shoe cabinet:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/120411774@N05/13167629213/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/120411774@N05/13167517895/in/photostream/

Living/Dining room:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/120411774@N05/13167785434/in/photostream/

Corridor:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/120411774@N05/13167517695/

Studyroom:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/120411774@N05/13167784994/

We weren't exactly sure what theme our house ended up in LOL..just lots of wood? At the initial stage we just put across wood, cosy, relaxing and this was what we ended up with :lol:. I love wood furniture & the actual product is quite similar to our 3D design so no complains, except:

1. Study table

http://www.flickr.com/photos/120411774@N05/13167518235/

There were no cable-holes for our intended PC cables (in fact so was it @ the TV feature/console). When I see the actual study table, I just feel ideally the power points would have been better under the table. But Jxxxx said relocating the power point cannot be made after the carpentry is up. In this case, cable-holes have to be made to the side, then upwards to the top (if you can imagine what I mean) :furious: Well and I thought an ID/a project manager would have a better initiative/common sense to have thought of cable-holes & in turn have triggered him to think how the power points would have hindered with the design (i.e. positioning of the cable-holes) when communicating with his carpenter. Sometimes I just feel have we engaged a contractor with a design department in the firm or what...like almost everything client initiate...client propose solutions...sigh...

2. Shoe cabinet @ power box

Because of the false ceiling, the original doors of the cabinet concealing the powerbox couldn't open, so we had 2 choice - (a) to cut/modify the original doors & install back @ no cost or (b) fabricate new doors (with the same laminate as the shoe cabinet) @ $300. We took the excuse to choose (b) & change the doors for uniformity BUT there could be some common sense to give a neater job right...sigh..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/120411774@N05/13167518345/

(More shopping :notti:....and scheduling the other installations!)

Edited by Uendibai

Just to share, if the different business entities are registered under the same partners, eg. the husband and wife, the annual turnover for
all these business entities would be added up and if the combined figure is more than $1million, IRAS would still want these
business entities to be GST registered. :deal:

Busy the previous week trying to fix the following with the ID :furious:

Carpentry issues @ study table:

1. ID acknowledged the point that the position of the power points should be highlighted and brought up for consideration before installing the carpentry. So what he proposed was to remove the legs of the table & shift the points in then install back the legs. Sounds alright. BUT look at the aftermath finishing :angry2: (I think I can even do much better than that...well carpenter not happy? Maybe :dunno: ...BUT WHO CARES...the ID's definitely HAVE TO settle this!!) & WORSE STILL, saw the affected parquet skirting!!

Jobs not communicated/synced properly as a result after the painter came to retouch the painting, there were visible patches due to the still-not-dried patched up area..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120411774@N05/13440824563/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120411774@N05/13440824553/

Sealing not done properly so when the painter painted the bad finishing really shows up

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120411774@N05/13440695415/

Caused a hole in the parquet skirting & ugly sealing

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120411774@N05/13440824423/

2. Drawers not aligned when fully closed...not sure whether designed purposely so or carpentry not done properly :dunno: . In the end asked them to rectify.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120411774@N05/13440695535/

As of yesterday:

The study table area is still not satisfactory. Such a simple rectification but still cannot get it done properly :furious:

Sealing still badly done (still the usual glob of sealing at the bottom corners... :angry2:) AND they actually try to rectify the parquet skirting with white cement or what?!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120411774@N05/13441117883/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120411774@N05/13441369984/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120411774@N05/13441369944/

But on a happier note, curtains are up & so was the 'fengshui' glass @ the kitchen top! :sport-smiley-018:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120411774@N05/13440988785/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120411774@N05/13440988635/ (this piece of glass costs $450 OMG)