Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mishmash

Reno Blues

Hi guys,

Was wondering if anyone can shed some light if the quoted electrical works for our house is overpriced:

• Lighting point (20 x $50 = $1000)
  • 2 way lighting point (1 x $60 = $60)
  • 13 Amp - Single (13 x $70 = $910)
  • TV point (2 x $100 = $200)
  • Data cat6 point (1 x $120 = $120)
  • Data cat5 point (1 x $100 = $100)
  • Cooker hood/ hob point (1 x $70 = $70)
  • Oven point ( 1 x $90 = $90)
  • Microwave point (1 x $90 = $90)
  • Installation of light (27 x $9 = $243)
  • Installation of hanging downlight (1 x $30 = $30)
  • installation of LED at kitchen cabinet ($40)
  • Hacking of wall for concealed wired ($450)
  • Concealing of damaged area ($400)

Total damage = $3800 :jawdrop:

What's a microwave point? I thought microwaves can use the regular 13Amp points?

Which house owner hack to conceal but never make good of hacking part? So why split into 2 part?

If they really charge this way, then make sure after plastering, the hacking part is smooth and flush with the walls and not uneven with the hacking line visible.

Not sure if it is industry practice, but my quote from contractor also split into 2 parts when there is hacking and making good....though mishmash's is a lot more expensive. [think x2 of the prices I got]

Though might not be comparable coz different area being hacked...

I agree the lighting point feels a bit expensive. The 13 Amp points single are expensive too. $70 should be able to do double point and still have change.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Lighting point feels ex. 13Amp Single is ex. At $70, some can do double already.

• Hacking of wall for concealed wired ($450)
  • Concealing of damaged area ($400)

How much is being hack?

Main point - What rubbish is this? Concealing of damaged area? Does it means make good of the hacking of wall for concealing?

Which house owner hack to conceal but never make good of hacking part? So why split into 2 part?

If they really charge this way, then make sure after plastering, the hacking part is smooth and flush with the walls and not uneven with the hacking line visible.

What's a microwave point? I thought microwaves can use the regular 13Amp points?

Not sure if it is industry practice, but my quote from contractor also split into 2 parts when there is hacking and making good....though mishmash's is a lot more expensive. [think x2 of the prices I got]

Though might not be comparable coz different area being hacked...

I agree the lighting point feels a bit expensive. The 13 Amp points single are expensive too. $70 should be able to do double point and still have change.

After reading all these posts, I feel **** emo, cause my quote was even higher than mishmash. :'( Should I look for other IDs/Contractors again or should I ask the current shortlisted one if they can lower the prices?

After reading all these posts, I feel **** emo, cause my quote was even higher than mishmash. :'( Should I look for other IDs/Contractors again or should I ask the current shortlisted one if they can lower the prices?

Ask a few more and compare.

Then ask him to match it, even if he cannot match he should lower the amount ...

(*Juz my 2 cents worth)

I won't comment on the individual pricing since it depends on many factors (open or concealed, distance, number, whether inclusive of the cover & brand etc). But the individual pricing is much cheaper than mine.

Double point is usually just marginally more expensive than single 13A point, so go for those unless you really don't need double point at that location. With single point, definitely you end up spending money to buy ugly multi-plugs to put there.

Oven/microwave point can be more expensive for those built in oven or microwave where you need a switch with a light on the wall and the wire is run to another place concealed in the cabinet. However, most people just use a normal 13A point. So, you need to decide what you want and tell the electrician.

The hacking of wall for concealed wiring, and making good the same, is strange to me. First time I hear of this. I don't know what your works involve, but is this work described correctly? For electrical points and wiring, normally the electrician just quote one rate for normal surface wiring and a higher rate for concealed wiring. So, the "hacking" and "making good" of the wall is already included in the higher price per point. And they do not actually hack the wall. They cut a groove in the wall, like MRT trench, put in the wires, patch back.

Oven/microwave point can be more expensive for those built in oven or microwave where you need a switch with a light on the wall and the wire is run to another place concealed in the cabinet. However, most people just use a normal 13A point. So, you need to decide what you want and tell the electrician.

The hacking of wall for concealed wiring, and making good the same, is strange to me. First time I hear of this. I don't know what your works involve, but is this work described correctly? For electrical points and wiring, normally the electrician just quote one rate for normal surface wiring and a higher rate for concealed wiring. So, the "hacking" and "making good" of the wall is already included in the higher price per point. And they do not actually hack the wall. They cut a groove in the wall, like MRT trench, put in the wires, patch back.

Oh I see...I am using a normal 13A point so didn't understand the microwave point. LOL.

And now that I read what you wrote, hacking and concealing is for wires...I was talking about plain wall hacking and patching... Sorry, mishmash. My bad...

I am not sure about hacking wall and concealing wires - mine is 'old school'. All my wires are on the surface wall, trunking running all around. No separate charges for these trunkings.

Just adding for reference... I have schneider switches /sockets, about $60 per double point.

Edited by koori

Why no top cabinet? 800 can do at least 3 ft of top already.

Partition are always costly, consider as carpentry as well.

Grinding feels costly. $1k can do overlay with vinyl for both rooms already. Brand new and not recon.

We do not want the top cabinets because it is to stop us from storing redundant items. We learnt from our parents' mistake of having too much things. We felt that grinding is costly so we have it excluded.

How much is being hack?

Main point - What rubbish is this? Concealing of damaged area? Does it means make good of the hacking of wall for concealing?

That is the part we were very uncomfortable. Upon checking with external electricians, only then we got a clearer view. Those two factors should be included in every point.

Microwave and oven points can use the normal 13Amp points. We have to create such points due to space constraints.

the list looks quite exp

Not quite. VERY expensive.

Yes! We were puzzled why MRT tracks cost so much. The electrician whom we are engaging told us that the price of hacking and conceiling will be considered as per point rather than lump sum. Thus the breakdown is clearer now.

Oh I see...I am using a normal 13A point so didn't understand the microwave point. LOL.

And now that I read what you wrote, hacking and concealing is for wires...I was talking about plain wall hacking and patching... Sorry, mishmash. My bad...

I am not sure about hacking wall and concealing wires - mine is 'old school'. All my wires are on the surface wall, trunking running all around. No separate charges for these trunkings.

Just adding for reference... I have schneider switches /sockets, about $60 per double point.

Hi, All! Thank you for the kind inputs.

We decided to engage an external electrician whose quote is much cheaper. Even he was surprised by the hacking and concealing costs. So, he will come in once the renovation permit is approved. HDB is taking too long...!

We do not want the top cabinets because it is to stop us from storing redundant items. We learnt from our parents' mistake of having too much things. We felt that grinding is costly so we have it excluded.

That is the part we were very uncomfortable. Upon checking with external electricians, only then we got a clearer view. Those two factors should be included in every point.

Microwave and oven points can use the normal 13Amp points. We have to create such points due to space constraints.

Yes! We were puzzled why MRT tracks cost so much. The electrician whom we are engaging told us that the price of hacking and conceiling will be considered as per point rather than lump sum. Thus the breakdown is clearer now.

We decided to engage an external electrician whose quote is much cheaper. Even he was surprised by the hacking and concealing costs. So, he will come in once the renovation permit is approved. HDB is taking too long...!

Hi, can share with me your new electrician? I am also thinking of engaging an external electrician as my contractor's quote seems too high. Thanks!

Good decision :good:

Good call...it seems electrical is a good place to add-on costs.

You can also refer to the schematic diagram in the utility box for the existing points.

hihi can PM me your new electrician contacts for reference?

Hi everyone!

We are back from a very long hiatus. We must apologise to those who have enquired about certain matters in our blog or have PM-ed us. Lots of things have happened during our absence here. :bangwall: But we have got to be thankful still that we have shifted into our new home last Friday. We must say that we really did miss our reno journey and we are really looking forward to furnishing and decorating our home.

Honestly, our reno journey was not really a smooth one and we bet many of you share the same, if not similar, ups and downs. In fact, the hiccups that we faced had indirectly forced us to stop blogging here for fear of ranting or letting our emotions get the better of us when we blog. This blog is purely meant to record our reno journey and the processes that we went through. We chose to think of only the good things throughout the journey and processes because we acknowledge that no ID and subcontractors can be that perfect in their work but we must say our subcontractors had provided us with good quality work. :thumbs up:

We are not here to recommend or put down our ID but we have learnt the following through our experience as first-time home owners:

1. Never be afraid to speak up and ask your ID about the cost quoted :no:
  2. Get relevant paperwork (carpentry drawings, electrical works layout, etc) from the ID before starting the reno
  3. Be firm and decisive when it comes to stating your preferences, needs and wants because at the end of the day, it is YOUR home
  4. Make time as regularly as you can to supervise the reno works so that you can provide timely feedback to your ID for rectification works
  5. If certain items are not quoted in your quotation, source out for other reliable subcons. Do not feel obliged to take those recommended by your ID
  6. Whenever possible, search for items such as furniture, lighting, tiles, etc with your spouse prior to consulting or depending solely on your ID's choices
  7. If need be, remind your ID that both you and your ID should share the same end goal in mind - a well-renovated home - and not the commission he earns by the end of the day

We will be uploading some pics of the reno processes and the house condition after moving-in soonest. :sport-smiley-018: Kindly pardon us for the minimally furnished and decorated home because we only bought certain necessities and will be shopping for some furnishings and decorations for our home this week or the week after.

Cheers!

Hi All,

Here are some of the pictures leading to our quirky scandustrial-themed house.

14141110732_0be54946bc.jpg

Tilers laying the hollow board at the recess area in preparation for craft bricks

13965504200_33baf054d4.jpg

Laying craft bricks on the hollow board

13965505140_0cc55b4414.jpg

Electricians and tilers at work after the hacking of our bedroom 1 wall

14148824071_0856d077e8.jpg

Common bathroom wall tiles

14152309594_7af22c2e3d.jpg

MBR bathroom wall tiles

14167890335_c1c6080ae7.jpg

Overlaying of kitchen floor tiles and cement screed on half-hacked wall for our open kitchen concept

14174909536_8341162f12.jpg

Bases for bottom cabinets and larder unit

14194767681_3f50e47b15.jpg

Cement screed at exposed area in kitchen

14294019006_40a0c0e4bd.jpg

Air-conditioners

14130506969_4e86c60b88.jpg

False ceiling in MBR

14130543330_e45f22a64c.jpg

False ceiling in living room

14130515459_2ee3feb392.jpg

Air-con trunking in MBR toilet