Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
leen

Ready Made Curtains

measure the total length of your windows - take it down

window 1 = xxx

window 2 = xxx

Add 2inch to both sides for the curtain rod - total 4 inch minimum.

Go to any curtain shop and they will point to you which one to get.

to all those who are going for ready made curtains, this is my experience and what the guy at the curtain shop taught me.

1) measure all your window sizes

Length of window = XXX cm, XXX inches

Height of window = XXX cm, XXX inches

2) indicate clearly on a piece of paper or you can type out a format for you to key in the datas of the location of your window

eg. for illustration:

MBR

Living Rm

Study Rm

3) Requirement =

a) color of curtain considerations eg. need darker color curtain so that it can provide shade in the day time as lighter color (especially cream or white) will make the whole rm brighter, bigger and glaring also.

b) Location of window which will affect the type and color of curtain you need

eg. if study rm is next to corridor, get a darker shade so that ppl will not be able to peep into your hse

especially if you are not hm. scare wait got robbers break in.

eg. bedrooms. you need more privacy so can choose a thicker and darker shade.

c) height of curtain required depending on your liking.

when you tell the curtain salesman half height or full height, they will know what it is.

full height is those that can touch the floor of your rm

half height is those that cover up to just below bottom of your window

eg. living rm may need full height so that is looks more prettier and able to tied it up more properly and especially if you have a vy long length window.

study rm, may only need half height.

if you have full drop glass type of window (those type where its fully window glass from the top of the ceiling to the bottom of the floor, you have to opt for full height curtains.

d) unit / flat / rm features

not all flats are the same design. some have curve type of balcony window where you need to customise curtain racks.

if standard design flat, can use aluminium racks (cheaper for normal type) or wooden rods (slightly more expensive than aluminium racks)

4) aluminium racks or rods?

it depend on your choice.

if your rm is of round shape (which is a killer as the price is more expensive), you have to specially tell the salesguy. he will be able to recommend you the best option.

aluminium rack = using hooks to secure the curtain and hook onto the loop provided

rods = can use hook or button type of curtains. you can use the metal hook to hook onto the loops of the rod if you hv hook type curtain.

for button type curtain, just button the strap over the rods will do.

if you have a long window, standard length of rods may not be enough, can buy a longer rod and saw it shorter to fit the window. both the ends can be attach later so don't hv to be afraid of sawing the ends.

if you have a L-shape window, and if you are using wooden rods, there is something call a joint whereby both end of the wooden rods can be connected via the joint. its quite cheap, ranging from $6 onwards for 1 joint. you can go curtain shop and ask if they have but many of them don't have this joint.

5) photos / floor plan

if you have any of the above which will help to describe your window / rm features, length & height more clearly, it is recommended to bring them to the shop. as the saying goes, a picture is worth more than a thousand words.

once you have gotten all the above informations, you can go and hunt for your curtain.

hope the above helps.

:)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

thanks mace, appreciate it :)

measure the total length of your windows - take it down

window 1 = xxx

window 2 = xxx

Add 2inch to both sides for the curtain rod - total 4 inch minimum.

Go to any curtain shop and they will point to you which one to get.

anybody knows where i can buy ready-made aluminum curtain track? or customized the length? had several sets of curtains from my previous place which I intend to recycle at my new place. thanks in advance

Hi

Anybody can recommend me any freelance curtain sewer or any place that sew curtain? Cos i've the materials but just can't get anyone to help me sew? :(

where are good places to look for ready made curtain?

robinson? john little? ikea?

I have browsed around neighbourhood shops at Toa Payoh Central, as well as John Little, Robinson, OG, Taka, Metro ...

I will recommend John Little and Metro for ready made curtains if you intend to just buy at cheap cheap prices and put up on your own like me. I saw the same range of ready made curtains at Taka and John Little but John Little was selling them about $10 cheaper. Both Taka and John Little were not having sales at that time.

There're 20% discounts at John Little & Metro today. :)

20% Off Storewide at Metro - One Day Only

Saturday, 5th Dec 2009

--------

LinkPoints Members Exclusives at John Little

Now until Sunday, 6th Dec 2009

LinkPoints Members enjoy additional 20% off storewide + 2X LinkPoints.

Edited by forgotten

anyone brought from neowin in peoples park before?

I have a 2.78m in length window for my living room.. and i prefer to do wooden rod..

so i guess i have to buy 2 pcs? anyone knows if the gap in da centre will be very wide?

I got all my curtain rods from Ikea. They are cheap.

As for ready made curtain I got most of them from Spotlight at Plaza Singapura. Prices are quite reasonable.

Total cost for the whole house (4A) is about $200+

do u mean Spotlight has got various sizes?

may i know curtain rod supposed to install at ceiling wall or just near top windows?, full length look nicer than half length?

may i know price at Spotlight at Plaza Singapura

Edited by dean

may i know curtain rod supposed to install at ceiling wall or just near top windows?, full length look nicer than half length?

may i know price at Spotlight at Plaza Singapura

i know those people who have windows right up to the edge of wall/ceiling have no choice but to install on ceiling...in such a case, a rod may not be possilble, but have to use railing.

full length or half-length depend on the size of windows..

if yr windows has small bay area, may only accept half-length..

perhaps others can give more input

i wan to find out more about Spotlight too..

i am looking for 1.9 metre curtains...dunno where to find..

any one bought ready made curtains from Clementi Central (shop house by the train station)

There are quiet a few curtain shops there. .

Any good and cheap curtains option to be found at West Zone? :)

Hi,

there are some really nice ready made curtains that are sewn with day and nite curtain together. but suggest you go around and look 1st.

juz to share with you guz on my experience with curtains and advices from many aunties who used and had curtain experience.

1st, to save money if you have a budget, is to buy ready made curtain. ready made curtain are not as bad as what we think they are. there are some really nicely done up ones.

2nd, installation of rods and racks are usually quite standard.

pricing ranging from S$3.50 - S$6 for normal wood rod. anything above S$6 is those fancy and nicer looking wood rod. but do bare in mind, normally visitors don't juz stand there and admire your curtain wood rod.

S$3.50 for rack type.

3rd, nowadays the in type is using organza for day curtain. similarly, in the past, ppl use lacy type or abit lacy type for day curtain. so if you don't mind, abit lacy type is worth your money if you are doing custom made. it has a english country feel.

4th, consider the durability of the material. for organza, it can be scratched, meaning you will see the fabric string been pulled or stretch juz like silk. so do consider this factor. can your curtain materials be machine washed or do you need to send for laundry service? izt easily cleaned or stained?

5th, do not only consider abt asthetic factor. did you guz consider how are often are you and how are you going to wash your curtains? usually, you will throw in your washing machine and wash but if its a too thick and heavy type, i think your washing machine will hv a hard type washing it clean.

6th, and how many sets of curtains are you going to hv? some may think 1 set is enough. but if its spoiled or washed, do you need changing curtains?

7th, steps to ask for curtain quotation:

a) measure your window size

b) measure your window + the top, bottom, left and right wall size

c) look up yellow pages and send them fax / emails / call them up for quotation

d) go to those shops to view their ready made curtains sample and custom made sample

e) go to nieghbourhood curtain shops, some may offer vy gd price and advice

8th, sizes do matter.

generally, half length and 1 layer of nite curtain only cost lesser.

other alternatives:

1) buy materials from spotlight, arab street textile shops etc., and get ppl to sew for you

2) diy yourself

3) go JB to buy

The TBS gallery has an amazing selection of draperies and curtains. No matter, what color you are looking for or what style, you will surely find it over there.

On 11/09/2007 at 3:00 PM, MaCe said:

take your measurements then go toa payoh central, 2-3 curtain shops there with lots of ready made curtains(various sizes).

if really need to patch up - most wet market got aunties doing trousers alteration.

May i know the address in toa payoh central?