Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Marcodimarco

Soundproof Windows - Anyone With Experience?

I am living on the second floor, close to a noise road, with a bus stop opposite.

I would like to replace my current windows with soundproof windows.

There seem to be various companies providing “sound proofing” or “noise reduction” windows. But apparently there are differences in effectiveness.

Not every double glazed window is the same.

So far I have checked out Facina and NoiseStop Systems – but I cannot fine many or any reviews. Has anyone worked with them before?

In general, has anyone done serious sound proofing of his windows? I would be interested to know the company which has done it and the technology they have used. Maybe also a comment on the effectiveness.

Any other tips and tricks are welcome to shield my master bedroom against noise are welcome too.

Thank you.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Check with the supplier the STC rating if they claim that their windows are soundproof/acoustic.

Basically, high performance sound proof window system, like those being installed at DJ rooms, recording studios, etc., are much thicker and also more expensive.

Some ordinary windows may also cut down a bit of noise, sometimes by adding an additional glass pane (two panes, instead of one). They only help to reduce the noise, will definitely not cut off the noise completely.

• Like 1

I installed the extra glass panel on my bedroom 2nd floor facing busy road. It did nt 100% reducing the noise but definitely reduce by 70%. In my case it is good enough

I tried soundproofing my home windows as well but honestly in retrospect, it was alot of money spent. You could try to get some colour based caulk from Fuller and seal up any gaps around your window frames. Bought my caulk online from a hardware store. Moreover you could try to get those stick on rubber insulation that comes either it tape or bundle and try to minimise any gaps when your window is closed. The trick is to minimise all gaps from your window frames and when your window is shut.

• Like 1

Dear All,

For sound reduction from the glass window, I recommend you to have double layer of glass panels install with a gap about 20mm in between the 2 glass panels of thickness about 4 to 5 mm thick.

It will reduce the noise level by at lest 70 to 80 %

• Like 1

Hi,

I've done a few projects pertaining this problem. i have a background from acoustic and soundproofing. I'll try my best to assist

Edited by ozbuilt

i stays beside the TPE which is only 30m from my Living Rm and 2nd Bedroom Window. Bought this place 9 years ago and the expressway noise was still bearable at that time as there was a nice piece of empty land used by childrens to fly kites and football games during the evening on the other side of the TPE. 

In recent years HDB took over the land and contructed multiple new blocks of flats right up to the expressway while LTA has embarked on the TPE widening immediately after. It was a nightmare for us to be hit by the double whammy of noise from the TPE construction as well as reflected expressway noise from the newly built HdB flats. I have installed special ceiling to floor  accoustic absorbent curtains that costs over $600 per window, but it only cuts noise by about 10% and blocks 100% of sunlight.

Frustrated, i have approached 3 big name soundproof windows contractors. All of them proposed to hack and replace my current large and bright sliding windows with uPVC casement windows with ugly thick white frames and a much smaller double glazed windows. The end result will be sort of like peering out from the porthole of a cruise ship and turn our bright airy living room into a submarine which both me and spouse totally hated.

After researching further online, i noticed that there’s another way to do it , i.e. by installing a “secondary” soundproof double glazed casement windows behind the original HDB sliding windows. The drawback it that i will lose the grilles which we currently have but i will not need to hack off the existing windows and is able to maintain the current window’s outlook externally and internally. I called up a few contractors for a survey but most of them is not able to do what i wanted. Finally i found GrillesNGlass’s Alex which he willingly dropped by to do some measurements. Alex took 10days to fabricate the windows and had it installed in about 1hour.  Not much dust as his guys only needed to drill a few holes.  With the original HDB windows shut, the new secondary soundproof windows managed to cut the noise up to 85% in my case. During the evening, when the previously installed accoustic absorbent curtains is drawn, the noise was cut to almost 95%. I’m a very happy camper, will recommend GrillsNGlass if you intend to do the same. 

• Like 1

Hi Redember, 

you mentioned  "I have installed special ceiling to floor  accoustic absorbent curtains that costs over $600 per window, but it only cuts noise by about 10% and blocks 100% of sunlight"

how do you tell it's 10% reduction only? estimation? isit $600 per bedroom?

i also keen on acoustic absorbent curtains because i have to keep my windows open at night during sleeping.  Do you have any recommendations? 

Curtains don’t really cut out much sound. Light can be almost 100% cut, not sound. I use Fascina windows and their casement windows can cut a lot of sound. 

Hey guys, if you are looking to soundproof your room, we can provide your necessary needs. Contact us and our technician will show you how effective our soundproof windows are. 

Your problem is common to many persons. Especially to people who are looking for apartments with panoramic views. Indeed big windows give the opportunity to enjoy incredible sunsets, sunrises and breathtaking view of the city. However, here is also another side of the coin. The noise, which comes from the outside cars and neighboring constructions, can drive you nuts. My friend recently bought one of these flats boasting on social media. Though he also complained that the noise from outside is terrible and asked his followers how to get rid of it. Many recommended the website https://www.rockfon.co.uk that deals with house acoustic systems. It seems they are leaders in this industry. 

Hello. I would like to recommend Noise Plaster for their soundproofing windows installation service. I chose them for their unique European system and workmanship. It has help to block loud from construction site just right away my block. They make to order in their own local factory for quality assurance. Most importantly, workers are professional and trustworthy. I'm very satisfied with their great service and workmanship. I'm now experiencing almost zero traffic noise. Highly recommended! 

WhatsApp: +65 86668734 or Telegram

Facebook/ Instagram/ YouTube : @Noise Plaster

I did 4-panels casement windows. They do have sliding window options too.