Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
MrK

A Bali Resort In Cck

Thanks both. Will be following your blog to see how it's done.

Been to Ubud a few times over the years since 2005. Prices pretty steep imho now. Maybe I'll check out Semarang later this year as an option, good suggestion.

All the best to you in your furniture hunting, MrK!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Updates:

- Did up my service yard windows

17071791542_676f528505_z.jpg

- Both toilet overlay is done up and I'm loving how the tiles are coming together!

17072529991_3435b96a82_z.jpg

16453119923_b8a028cce3_z.jpg

16885719540_168b44e790_z.jpg

Edited by MrK

Choosing your Hobs & Hoods:

Just sharing what I've learnt about choosing hobs and hoods.

HOBS

*Brands*
Actually, all cooking hobs are almost the same regardless of brands. Of course there are some key features that only certain brands have.
Rinnai & Fujioh: They have hobs that have inner flame which means closer flame concentration and faster cooking time. Similar to those zichar store stoves. Supposed to be wind-proof.
Bosch: Only Bosch has 2 years warranty (if I remembered correctly) and the rest have 1 year warranty.
*Gas, Induction, Ceramic*
Gas
- Any pots can be used
- Cheapest running cost
- Gives off a lot of heat, which makes the kitchen hot
- More suited for Asian stir frying
Induction
- Uses electromagnetic fields to heat up
- Requires special cookware
- Gives off the least heat so the kitchen stays cool
- Easy to clean and energy efficient
- Easy to use and heats up quickly
Ceramic
- Has a heating element under the toughened glass
- Requires special cookware
- Gives off lesser heat than the gas cooker hob
- Easy to clean, but need to be careful of scratches
- Easy to use and heats up quickly
In terms of cost, Induction and Ceramic are a lot more expensive compared to Gas
*2 Or 3 Burners*
Based on personal experience, I will suggest 2 as you will hardly use the 3rd burner as either there's not enough space between the pots or you wouldn't cook so many items at one go.
Of course, it's entirely up to individual needs and preference on the number of burners.
*Glass or Stainless Steel Plate*
For functionality, Stainless Steel because they are very durable but more prone to scratches.
For aesthetics, Glass because they look classy and are generally more easy to clean.
For glass plate, please take note of the so-called "10 Years Warranty". What I understand from a few salespersons, most or all brands will cover you ONCE for that 10 years should the glass crack. Having said that, the chances of it cracking is very very slim unless you pour extremely cold water on the glass after prolonged intensive cooking. (Extreme heat difference)
One more point for Glass, please try not to choose the white/clear glass. I've heard from people that overtime, the area surrounding the fire will turn yellow and it cannot be cleaned off.
Some brands have a piece of metal at the back of the plate to act as a heat sink to help dissipate heat away from the glass. Do take note of that if you're choosing glass plate
*Ignition*
For most hobs, the ignition spark is operated by battery which in the long run will spoil. Reason being that the battery holder is embedded with the plate which means the battery will be exposed to a lot of heat from your cooking. Over time, it will either leak and cause the connectors to not work or you have to constantly change battery.
Choose those that are powered by electrical. The downside is that you have to get your electrician to put a 13A socket.
*Ease of cleaning*
Last but not least, try to dismantle the burners and see if there's any grooves or holes that might trap oil spills or food waste overtime. Because cleaning those grooves will be a nightmare.
HOODS
One of the best suction hoods are from Fujioh but it can rather noisy.
I've spoken to a lot of salespersons and they all tell me the same thing, the main function of a hood is to prevent oil stains on your kitchen cabinets above your cooking hob, not to suck out fumes as there's no exhaust bringing the fumes out of your kitchen unlike those zichar stores. So there's really no need for a very good one if you ask me.
The only thing that I will look out for is the ease of cleaning. From what I know, some Fujioh hoods are not easy to dismantle and clean.
Hope this post helps!

Need some opinions, my ID suggested that we use designer hollow blocks to make a bar counter.

Anyone have any experience with such blocks?

17071967742_75cbf3cda0_z.jpg

hello,

i'm also looking for Balinese design... i feel ur pain for not having enough budget for the true Balinese style

btw, i thought we can't touch the bathroom because of the warranty period? your bathroom looks quite dark though...

I like the designer hollow blocks, it looks quite interesting but i think it's going to be quite hard to clean... so many holes... :blink:

looking forward to seeing ur finished house... so that i can steal some ideas... hehehe.... :dribble:

To create a Balinese theme for the home you may need to understand two fundamentals - texture and colour. It really doesn't mean putting some 'lookalike' items you get the desired outcome for the theme - like your stones, which are in contrast to your Balinese/Javanese thematic home. Balinese/Javanese designs seldom have stone elements in their homes - with the exceptional of naturalistic flooring styles - plain cement screed or non-matted tiles if you have to.Those "designer hollow block" stones are more for Balinese outdoors where the greenery can soften the stones. When used indoors, it breaks the plushy ambiance.

The walls and ceiling exude warmth and softness, depicting the rustic and natural elements brought from outside into the home. Thus you may need a soft slab of wall - which can be done by wall-papering, and the ceiling. I suggest the use of grass cloth on the ceiling to kill the hardness. Some layering in fabric is necessary if your home is primarily stone-based. See-through glass to allow light to permeate and use soft touches of wood-based partitions to help create a rustic feel, which is prominent in all Balinese/Javanese themed home.

Leather and Plastics should not be glaring in the household too. Lighting needs to manage together with an ample amount of correct greenery inside the home. The prominent element should be wood in the house - so consider flooring, walls and furniture. Some aesthetics can be infused with modernity but the Balinese/Javanese theme poses a greater challenge because you need to manage its rustic and softer appeal.

Good luck on your endeavour.

Edited by 43atCR

Hi, I just want to check with you if there's a reason why you didn't hack the upper part and the right side of the service yard wall? Is it because it's structural beam and you couldn't hack? I am still waiting for my flat, but doing some space planning currently. Intending to hack away all the walls if possible but not sure what are the costs involved. (PE,hacking,making good of the floor)