Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Nana Chan

Little Woody Home (Scandinavian 4Rm Resale Woodlands)

Hello Everyone~

Its been sometime since I last update.. Last 2 weeks was mainly carpentry fabrication, and painting.. We're unlucky cos their In-House painters decided to resign, so they end up use another outsourced painters for us whom they have never use before.. :wacko:

But sad to say the painters did a very bad job. :angry:

I don't want to say how bad it is, because Dennis promise me that he will have them to come back and settle everything for me until "swee swee" (nice nice). So I shall see how "swee" first before I comment further on my house paint works. :P

Today is Day 3 of carpentry installation.. So far so good. Pictures below~

DAY 1:

Carpentry Arrival in the Morning~

20150610_104802.jpg

In the evening..

20150610_164504.jpg

20150610_164516.jpg

20150610_164540.jpg

This is the carpenter who is in-charge of our house.. Quite a nice guy, when asked him about those cracklines and gaps due to uneven wall, he assure us that he will help to filled them up nicely in the end and won't allow holes and gaps. :good:

20150610_164944.jpg

20150610_165008.jpg

MBR Bathroom - they ask where we want to place our basins and kitchen sink before they drill holes on it.. :thumbs up:

Edited by Nana Chan

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

DAY 2:

20150611_193830.jpg

Greeted by this when we enter the door.. :wub: Half Height shoe cabinet.

20150611_193800.jpg

Kitchen Progress

20150611_193744.jpg

Hubby side of the kitchen, still in progress.. With european height. No longer need to bind down when cooking and washing the dishes.. :lol:

20150611_193733.jpg

20150611_193513.jpg

My side of the Kitchen~ still in progress..

20150611_193457.jpg

Common Bathroom in progress..

Edited by Nana Chan

And not forgetting the skeleton of my Mini Walk-in closet.. :lol:

20150611_194017.jpg

Upcoming Timeline after discussion with Dennis:

Carpentry Installation until 15th June (Monday) Done only on 22 June 2015

All remaining door installation and varnishing - 15th June (Monday) Done

PD Door for MBR Bathroom / Plastering of walls - 16th June (Tuesday) Done

Kitchen worktop and Solid Surface 17th-19th June (Wednesday - Friday) Done

Painting Rectification and Final Touch Ups 17th-19th June (Wednesday - Friday) Done only on 22nd June, still need to touch up again on 24 June 2015. Touch up done. Also provided small can of paints for DIY touch ups later on.

Sanitary Installation / Lights & Sockets Installation / Plumping / Air Con Installation - 22nd June (Monday) Partially Done due to leaking in kitchen sink and common bathroom / Loose electric trunking found afterwards which need to be drill back into wall and silicone the edge. Leaking and Electric trunking settled.

Glass and WIC Mirror Measurement - 23rd (Tuesday) Done

General Cleaning and Touch up flooring gout / Plaster old pipe holes / Plaster Kitchen Skirting Holes / Left over Rectifications - 23rd - 24th June (Tuesday - Wednesday) Done (Need redo touch up on wall/floor tile gout lines for Kitchen and 2 Bathrooms on 2nd-3rd July)

Glass and WIC Mirror Installation - 29th June (Monday) *Hand Over* Delay to 2nd-3rd July

Edited by Nana Chan

Hello Everybody~

the past two weeks was super tiring for us.. Carpenter attitude was terrible after delaying our carpentry installation again and again.

Originally Installation Finishing Date Given To Us: (13 June 2015)

Carpenter 1st Delay (15 JUNE 2015) - (due to wall uneven, he have to last minute add materials to ensure the carpentry will look straight after the installation.. so we feel its a reasonable delay)

Carpenter 2nd Delay (16 JUNE 2015) - (he left our place in the afternoon around 4pm-yish, telling Dennis that he need to go to another part of SG to help another client to install a small cabinet. Our house was left with missing shelves, half pasted internal pvc, unfinish sliding door for my walk-in etc) :wacko:

Carpenter 3rd Delay (19 JUNE 2015) - He promised to finish up EVERYTHING on 19 June 2015, but he DID NOT TURN UP AT ALL for the entire day. Carpenter went MIA, never pick up phone calls. :angry: I was FURIOUS at this point of time, because AT THE SAME TIME, Dennis boss keep chasing us for payment, when the job is left UNDONE. !!

Carpenter 4th Delay (20 JUNE 2015) - We went up to inspect, the carpenter told me he will finish up by TODAY. But guess what? He did not. After I left the site, he left too. Again, at the same time Dennis keep saying that his Boss insisted payment on this day, he said that his boss already threaten to stop work a few times already but he have been trying his best to help us talk to his boss. Of cos, we're not stupid idiots who are easy to be mess with.. I told Dennis to tell his boss, if he want to stop work, GO AHEAD. I did my calculations and I have been very transparent with my expectations, you do liao I pay. Everything was mentioned loud and clear via whatsapp, and even before I officially signed on that paper.

Ended up Dennis explained that his Boss didn't really fully understand the situation, and after further understand whats going on.. His boss went to escalate this issue to the carpenter boss blah blah and agreed to wait until all materials up nicely then collect payment from us.

Carpenter FINALLY DONE (22 June 2015) - Me and Hubby specially took full day leave to ensure everything done properly ONCE AND FOR ALL.. Include painting, installation of lights, power sockets, sanitary, air con etc. And not forgetting to ensure the Carpenter finish up EVERYTHING before he run away again. :bangwall:

20150622_112210.jpg

This pic was taken after the Carpenter FINALLY came.. Everyone was there, including both of us, the 2 owners of the house. So we have to pay 50k to WAIT for the Emperor Carpenter to arrive. He stomp into our place and smash his equipment box on my HERF flooring, as if we all owe him a living. So I told Dennis LOUDLY, that if I found any damage on my floor later on, he got to pay for it. :angry:

Dennis try to talk to me saying that the carpenter got scolded by his boss etc etc, but to me it was NO EXCUSE. He is being very unprofessional by keep delaying the finishing date, followed by MIA, and now throwing his temper at us. Not happy then don't take up this job, VERY SIMPLE. I pay money to get the job done, not to hear his grandmother story and see him throw temper. :unsure:

From this incident it shows that they are pretty lack of manpower, they only send 1 carpenter for my entire house carpentry (walk in closet, 2 toilet vanity and mirror cabinet, 1 shoe cabinet, 1 Tv swivel with top hung cabinet and bottom console, kitchen cabinets), and result in unhappy worker.. !!

Anyway after a super duper tiring day of constant watching over the workers, finally our house is in decent shape now..

20150623_195927.jpg

20150623_191545.jpg

Dining Hall

20150623_194033.jpg

Kitchen - yet to install glass works.

Edited by Nana Chan

20150623_192251.jpg

20150623_192244.jpg

Common Bathroom - yet to install glass door.

20150623_191443.jpg

Common Bedroom

20150623_191456.jpg

20150622_145014.jpg

Study Room - Ikea VANADIN Lights $79 for both my common bedrooms.

Edited by Nana Chan

20150623_191416.jpg

MBR - FILLSTA Pendant lamp $29.90, cheap, simple and very scandi.

20150622_162029.jpg

Mini Walk-In Closet (Right Side) - There will be full length mirror on this wall in the middle.. coming in next week. :)

20150623_191253.jpg

20150623_191335.jpg

MBR Bathroom - yet to install glass door.

Edited by Nana Chan

20150623_195942.jpg

20150623_200028.jpg

TV Swivel Featured Wall in Living Room

One thing very tiring is that, I have to chase after Dennis to get his workers to help me to cover up the gaps and holes caused by carpentry, electric casing etc. Keep chasing them to amend chips off and unevenness. And also to get his painters to scrap off the old paint before applying a new coat (which I thought is common sense?).

So ended up I am the one asking the worker to use silicone to cover this spot, that spot 1 by 1. If never point, they never do. :wacko:

Painters also same, they keep missing out on some corners didn't paint (literally cut corners), we have to personally point the spots 1 by 1 and physically use EYE POWER to ensure they do it in front of our eyes. :wacko: If not they will be like okok later do, but end up you never see they never do. Really very tired dealing with them..

And then I start to realized.. why am I doing all these? Isn't all these ID's job? Sigh...

Anyway.. I am really glad its going to be over soon.. Trust that Dennis felt the same way too. We're demanding clients, but not unreasonable.. I guess its really hard to meet people who take real pride in their job nowadays, I have nothing to compare to since this is my first reno experience.. All I can do was to constantly send reminders to Dennis to ensure he don't forget things, and inspect regularly (almost everyday after work go down, like working 12hours shift) so that I can report to him on whatever is promise to be done but not done properly. I have to admit I felt like a "runner" instead of "customers" at the later stage of the renovation, because I couldn't trust that they delivered what they promise so I had to go down to "catch" after they so call said that they're "done".. Still, I keep manage to find problems here and there, which was very disappointing. Dennis eventually get it rectified after failing to persuade me to accept...but if payment have been made, I seriously don't know if he will still help to rectified or not liao. :P His 经典台词 "I try", but no promise ya?

But I choose to believe I am already consider lucky, and considered in good hands since the end result is pretty close to what I imagine.. ;) Its just very tired lor.. haha.

Edited by Nana Chan

Left Over Jobs to be done:

- Plumper come back settle leaking problem in Kitchen Sink and Common Bathroom Basin (by this week)

- Electrician come back settle the electric trunking behind main door (by this week)

- Replace the spoil window stopper in MBR (by this week)

- Tiler come back touch up all gout lines (24 June 2015)

- Painter come back touch up (24 June 2015)

- Glass works and Walk-In Mirror (By end of June, exact date TBC)

Hopefully all these can be done up and over soon..

Edited by Nana Chan

Left Over Jobs to be done:

- Plumper come back settle leaking problem in Kitchen Sink and Common Bathroom Basin (by this week)

- Electrician come back settle the electric trunking behind main door (by this week)

- Replace the spoil window stopper in MBR (by this week)

- Tiler come back touch up all gout lines (24 June 2015)

- Painter come back touch up (24 June 2015)

Hi Nana Chan, hang in there it's almost all done! :)

Your experience for carpentry and painting finishes are typical. For some strange reason, carpenters generally don't seem to seal gaps/holes unless instructed. As for painters, my advice is instruct them to leave behind paint and touch up yourself. For these type of workers, they either don't have the passion/ownership or get frustrated when they have to do repeated rectification works and I was already mentally tired of talking towards the end of reno. To bypass all these negative emotions on both sides and save time/saliva, I decided to touch up the parts that I missed telling them. At the same time, it allowed me to understand the nooks and crannies of the entire house because painting really brings you high and low throughout the unit. Most importantly, I like the satisfaction of adding the finishing touches.