Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
EAJW

Is It Very Hot (due To Sun-burn) In Hdb's Top Floor?

For this Jurong West WIS, I bought a Top Floor Unit #16, my friend told me that Top Floor is not good because of the day-time sun-burn, which makes the room very hot in the day time, is it true? any friend has such experience? thanks for sharing...

I did quite a bit of research on heat transmission from ceiling 2 years back because I was eyeing a unit (maisonette condo) on the top floor. The top floor do feel warmer during my viewing. Lots of info on the Internet about ceiling insulation but mostly from the cold countries. They insulate the ceiling to prevent heat loss in winter. It is equally applicable for heat transmission from outside as well. An easy solution which I was contemplating then was to place rock wool in between the cavitiy of the roof and ceiling. For those with just concrete ceiling, can just construct a 4"-6" false ceiling and get the contractor to fill it with rock wool. You can still install your down lights as per normal. Rock wool is cheap, very poor heat conductor, non flammable and is waterproof. It is routinely placed inside the roofs of landed properties anyway.

I have not got to the point of approaching a contractor for the cost but I am keeping this option open for my future purchase. If a certain wall is too warm from the afternoon sun, I reckon, I can also place a thin false gypsum board wall with rock wool inside it. Right now, no issue with my current unit as is not on the top floor and no direct afternoon sun.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Not true, I used to stay in those 30+ years old 4 storey house top floor, no water tank, and its NOT hot and no leaking. HDB has improved on the ceiling waterproof and heat insulation about 10 years ago. At the early stage, yes its hotter, but still no leaking. However, ever since HDB has improved the roof waterproof and double heat insulation 10 years ago, there is not much heat different from the unit below. Cheers.

Also most units that have ceiling leaking are not top floor.... mostly are in the middle due to the unit above did not reno properly... causing the leakage.... Some are from the side walls near the ceiling edge, rain slip in due to poor design of flat. Not necessary leaking means from top floor. Cheers.

I had stayed in a top floor unit.

Ceiling paint on the living room corner had a tendency to peel off and leave behind black spots. I was told that this is due to water spillage from the top. The bedroom does gets warmer in the afternoon.

The view is the best from the top floor. Windy too.

gosh, i just bought a top floor unit. from what i heard, top units shouldnt be any hotter than other units due to the hdb roof insulation. also, the 2 times i viewed the unit, i didnt feel it was hotter than usual. felt windy though :dancingqueen:

keeping my fingers crossed... :notti:

gosh, i just bought a top floor unit. from what i heard, top units shouldnt be any hotter than other units due to the hdb roof insulation. also, the 2 times i viewed the unit, i didnt feel it was hotter than usual. felt windy though :)

keeping my fingers crossed... :D

my first choice is always the top floor.

94 - 99 pasir ris 'top floor' 13th

99 - 2011 holland drive 'top floor' 5th

2011 holland drive 'top floor' 40th

never notice the heat but enjoyed the privacy.

singapore weather is always hot so not different if u are at the top or bottom. of course if your main bedroom is facing the afternoon sun u will get the heat.

dont worry enjoy the view and the breeze..

hi all

I would like to give some feedback to this issue. I am staying at new top floor 40th storey moved in abt 1 mth. My unit is facing afternoon sun.

Pro - tall ceiling. no piping on top, so no danger of leaking. windy. fastastic view of singapore eye, fireworks

Cons - still have insects - hornet, small insect etc. sometimes too windy

HDB has built another inslution layer on top of my flat to house the water tank. no heat from water tank, no leakage and no water sound.

As afternoon sun, mbr hottor but I believe those neighbours same facing as me will experience the same issue. No problem, just open door & windows

So far, no need to switch on air-con. Fan is good enough.

Although I am not currently staying on a top floor unit, I have seen many HDB units during my hunt for an apartment before my marriage in the mid 90's. My conclusion and from my personal experience, top most units will tend to be warmer due to the conduction of solar heat from the roof into the unit's ceiling...it is simple science!:bath: the heat has to dissipate somewhere. How much of it depends on whether the ceiling has good insulation, sheltered by water tanks, nearby tall buildings etc. All else being equal, the top most unit has an extra surface area (the ceiling) for heat conduction compared to one unit exactly below it. Obviously this does not bother a lot of people as people still pay high premiums for top most floors.

Hi! my family used to stay at a top floor unit, 25th floor to be exact. This point block was erected on a hilltop, so just imagine the view, the lovely breeze, etc and mozzie-free even. The living room faced the north, whilst the kitchen faced the south, so generally, the rooms were nice and cool. No heated ceilings, and no leakage or seepage. Two bedrooms had windows facing the west - the hot afternoon sun, but that would have been okay still. Unfortunately, HDB had the outside walls (of the bedrooms) painted in ..... dark chocolate colour. Despite complaining and explaining to HDB and town council then that dark colours retain heat, they still painted the same outside walls in the same dark colour when they did the repainting, though the rest of the exterior walls were painted in white! That was like more than 20yrs ago and we didn't have aircon, and every evening we had to spray water on the walls, using spray bottles, to cool them down.

Bottom-line, my 2 cents' worth, don't forget that the paint-colour of the outside walls play a part, no matter which floor your unit is on.

For this Jurong West WIS, I bought a Top Floor Unit #16, my friend told me that Top Floor is not good because of the day-time sun-burn, which makes the room very hot in the day time, is it true? any friend has such experience? thanks for sharing...

About 1 year ago, we bought this top-floor corner unit. Yes, it is a little bit warm in the late afternoon, but the System 4 inverter a/c takes care of that. But it is all about what you like. We cannot handle big family of 6, 10 Malay kids playing basketball in the upstairs flat above our bedroom all night long. So we will pay any price to get peace and quiet.

The great view is another thing. It is a wonderful feeling to see Marina City and Shenton Way out of front of your house, and Jumbo jets landing at Changi airport out the back.

We bought at 200+ and after 6 months, got many offers for 300+. We refuse to sell. We will never part with our quiet, peaceful top floor place with the wonderful unblocked views of the whole South-central region.

(btw, no leaks anywhere in the flat.)

We cannot handle big family of 6, 10 Malay kids playing basketball in the upstairs flat above our bedroom all night long. So we will pay any price to get peace and quiet.

Just wondering why you have to mention the race and not just 10 kids playing basketball !!

Just wondering why you have to mention the race and not just 10 kids playing basketball !!

No intention on my part to offend anybody. Just telling it the way I saw it. These days in Singapore, no other group has such a big brood. Just economic rationality-- everything so expensive, how to make ends meet?

Nothing wrong with having 6, 10, even 20 or 50 kids. I, too, would love to have them. But I would first make sure I can afford to feed and upkeep them. You have a GCB or a big semi-detach, 20 kids would not look out of place. But 6, 10 in a small HDB pigeonhole? Everybody suffers.

About 1 year ago, we bought this top-floor corner unit. Yes, it is a little bit warm in the late afternoon, but the System 4 inverter a/c takes care of that. But it is all about what you like. We cannot handle big family of 6, 10 Malay kids playing basketball in the upstairs flat above our bedroom all night long. So we will pay any price to get peace and quiet.

The great view is another thing. It is a wonderful feeling to see Marina City and Shenton Way out of front of your house, and Jumbo jets landing at Changi airport out the back.

We bought at 200+ and after 6 months, got many offers for 300+. We refuse to sell. We will never part with our quiet, peaceful top floor place with the wonderful unblocked views of the whole South-central region.

(btw, no leaks anywhere in the flat.)

in my earlier posting i mentioned 'enjoy the privacy'. in some way when u are used to that u will never want to stay below someone else. u never know there could be an elephant staying above u.

as for the view its also my top priority. i had seaview at pasar ris, now swimming pool view and 2011 180 degrees wonderful unblocked views of bukit timah or maybe even jb.

also looking forward to the 'sky high' price that my future 4 room can fetch come 2011.

:rofl:

in my earlier posting i mentioned 'enjoy the privacy'. in some way when u are used to that u will never want to stay below someone else. u never know there could be an elephant staying above u.

as for the view its also my top priority. i had seaview at pasar ris, now swimming pool view and 2011 180 degrees wonderful unblocked views of bukit timah or maybe even jb.

also looking forward to the 'sky high' price that my future 4 room can fetch come 2011.

:P

I noticed you live in Holland area. Very nice place, but for me, a little bit too far to travel to work.

View makes a big difference. After a stressful day at work, it is wonderful to be able to relax and watch the world go by, with a cold beer in hand. In total privacy, with no kiddies making noise.

Most of the problems of top-floor living that people talk about, I have not experienced much of it. Water leak? The worst water leaks I have ever seen were on the intermediate floors....3-8 level. Hot? All Singapore is hot. On a really hot day, even the old folks sitting around on the Void Deck are sweating like fall into the river.

So, if you have the money, top floor is the way to go!