Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Soulitube

Health Concern Regarding Berger Polyurethane Varnish For Wood Floor

Hi, on the suggestion of a paint shop we bght some berger wood varnish to apply on our rooms wood floor.

He recommended Berger Polyurethane Varnish and we decided to follow his recommendation.

I had block nose when applying the varnish to our bedroom but after applying several layers and 2 days later i notice there is a very strong smell. Kind of like thinner.

I started getting worried as i hav 2 twin young toddlers and very concern if the fumes may be toxic and be a health hazard for my kids.

We got a wood floor varnish person in to check and understand that to recoat, they will need to grind away the existing varnish and this may create some fine dusk which is not something we want.

Anyone familiar with this varnish able advise how to remove the oudour?

Or any service to test the varnish for toxin or verify the air quality?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

hi,

keep your room airy and the smell should go down to a mild level within a week or so. There's no inherent danger in varnish solvent unless you try to sniff it in large quantity like a glue sniffer.

Yes, to redo your varnish, you will first grind away most of the old layer.

It's Berger Poly, I think you wouldn't need to test for toxin. Can always get your kids to sleep in another room for the next 2 weeks to be safe.... it will be like an adventure for them. :) good luck bro.

Teck Chye