Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Wow your reno progress is super fast! Only 3 weeks and all carpentry up! I am beginning to wonder why is mine taking F-O-R-E-V-E-R... :~Reno journey is really like what you said... a roller coaster... i hope the ride faster end hahaha.

By the way, i think your new kitchen looks nicer! So i guess it's a blessing in disguise? :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Mine was a bit of both. Most works were already done by then but pending some small stuff that had to wait.

So I moved in my stuff after chemical washing and then still left the contractor's lock (no valuable stuff inside though).

After the works are 99% completed then I lock using my own lock.

Official handover was chemical wash, though.

Thanks bykaraanne! I guess there's no hard and fast rules to this...will prob try to get handover done just before my furniture comes in... :)

Wow your reno progress is super fast! Only 3 weeks and all carpentry up! I am beginning to wonder why is mine taking F-O-R-E-V-E-R... :~Reno journey is really like what you said... a roller coaster... i hope the ride faster end hahaha.

By the way, i think your new kitchen looks nicer! So i guess it's a blessing in disguise? :)

Hi Yakult! I guess it's because we didn't do any hacking or touch the existing flooring...so everything can move along quite quickly...I saw your lights in your latest post! Looks so awesome! :good::good::good: Can't wait for mine to be up too!

Glass doors were installed today! :sport-smiley-018:

Initially, we wanted to install a sliding glass door for the kitchen entrance but our ID said there's insufficient space in the kitchen. He proposed to have the sliding door placed outside of the kitchen along the hallway but my fiance was not keen on that...so, we decided to do away with the kitchen door altogether.

All the glass doors are limited to the master bedroom...

image_66.jpeg?1447927161494&144792716283

Absolutely loving this sliding glass door! :wub: Makes the irregular corner less of an eyesore and makes it seem like we have a little balcony! :P

image_65.jpeg?1447927161494&144792716283image_67.jpeg?1447927161494&144792716283

Also installed a frosted glass swing door and shower screen for the master toilet.

That was all that was done for today! :D

Edited by jobb

hello , just curious how did u manage to get your 3D drawing from your id ?

Hi carbine90,

Our ID emailed us the pictures in jpeg format :)

Renovation updates - end of week 4

Carpentry work has been completed! :dancingqueen: The carpenters went down yesterday to rectify the defects that our ID marked out as well as to change the underside of our study table to our chosen laminate.

image_68.jpeg

It looks so much nicer without the white pvc...now, I'll be happy to study at my new table! :D

Our quartz counter tops for the kitchen and master toilet cabinets were installed yesterday as well.

image_70.jpegimage_71.jpeg

The kitchen tops are white in color while the top in the master toilet is grey. The counter top for the kitchen is still incomplete as they have not sealed down the backsplash. We had a couple of issues with the placement of some of these pieces as our kitchen cabinets have some odd angles and different heights in some places. We requested our ID to send us a photo of the provisional placement for approval before sealing them down. The carpenters have also placed in the oven and the microwave oven (both were given to us by the previous owner). The oven looks pretty new as we suspect the previous owner didn't use it much but the microwave oven condition is not as good. I'm trying to persuade my fiance to buy a new microwave oven instead :notti:

image_69.jpeg

This is the completed master toilet sink + cabinet with the quartz top installed. Happy about the colors we chose :sport-smiley-018:

We also managed to complete assembling our remaining Taobao and IKEA furniture today...Managed to retrieve the missing hinge from IKEA last Tuesday and we assembled the rest of the IKEA cabinet. Will post pictures of the final product when our ID installs it for us next week.

image_74.jpeg

Also managed to assemble these 2 office chairs which we ordered from Taobao. They are no Herman Millers but seem quite comfortable and stable when we did butt tests on them...so no complaints there... :lol:

Last but not least, my eagle eyed fiance spotted the paint cans left in the kitchen and realized the grade of paint used was not what we requested.

image.pngimage_73.jpeg

We wanted the Odour-less Easywash but the painters used Vinilex 5000. When we surfaced this up to our ID, he was very apologetic about it and gave us 2 options: 1) Stick with the VInilex 5000 since the whole house has been painted with it and only minor rectifications need to be done and he will offer $200 off the final renovation price or 2) Change to Easywash but we'll need to top up a bit to purchase more paint to repaint the house. Eventually, we decided to go with option 1 as we weren't keen to spend more money. Our ID also gave us the assurance that he will ensure the rectifications will be done so that the paint work will be up to standard as he knows I'm very particular about paint lines being straight and neat. So yup, another hiccup about the paint used but luckily, it's not a major mistake and hopefully, our ID will do his best to ensure the paint work is up to my expectations. I guess at the end of the day, we're glad that our ID takes responsibility for the mistakes made and tries to look for solutions that will be palatable to us.

Next week should be the last week of our renovations! Things to be done include:

1) Installation of lights

2) Completion of quartz countertop installation + installation of kitchen sink, hob and water filtration system/dispenser

3) Plumbing

4) Opening of gas pipes by Citygas

5) Chemical wash + general cleaning

6) Touch up of painting

Our furniture and electrical appliances are scheduled to arrive next Saturday so the house has to be ready by then! Really excited to see how the house will turn out :sport-smiley-004::sport-smiley-004::sport-smiley-004:

Uhhhh a silver lining for using Vinilex over EasyWash :)

Because EasyWash is slightly glossy due to the easy wash capability, it's not easy to patch on your own and it will look patchy.

Matte paints can be patched easily without rly seeing the patch :) that's what the contractor told me and I tried it when I patched some areas in my home with putty then paint and it's true. :)

HTH

• Like 1

Uhhhh a silver lining for using Vinilex over EasyWash :)

Because EasyWash is slightly glossy due to the easy wash capability, it's not easy to patch on your own and it will look patchy.

Matte paints can be patched easily without rly seeing the patch :) that's what the contractor told me and I tried it when I patched some areas in my home with putty then paint and it's true. :)

HTH

Hey bykaraanne,

That was exactly what our ID told us too :D I wonder if they memorized the same script from Nippon or something! :P Thanks for sharing your experience with us! At least we don't feel like we've been cheated on the paint :)

Now that the renovation is entering the last lap, I couldn't resist going down to the house whenever I can after work since it's so near my workplace! :bleah:

On Monday afternoon, I saw the plumbers coming in to install the sinks, taps and bathroom accessories. As I happened to be there, I could instruct them where to place the various fittings we got from Taobao. Had to leave before they could complete the job so I only saw the completed works when I went down again yesterday afternoon...

The quartz tops have been completed. Must say that the workers did a good job on that. :good:

image_80.jpeg?1448410580859&144841058326

Kitchen cabinets sans the tempered glass backsplash on the left side. :sport-smiley-018:

image_96.jpeg?1448411774861&144841177602image_77.jpeg?1448411776029&144841178341

Our Rinnai hob and hood; and kitchen sink with the tap installed. The hole to the right of the hob was created for my water filtration system/dispenser.

image_76.jpeg?1448411776029&144841178341image_75.jpeg?1448411776029&144841178341

On the other side of the cabinets, the quartz workers initially wanted to extend the backsplash on both sides but we thought it looked funny. So, we asked them to remove the sides and we think it looks better now (final product is picture on the right) :)

image_95.jpeg?1448411774862&144841177602

One thing I'm super stoked about but forgot to post last weekend! Our ID has installed these two trays for us so that it's easier to retrieve the pots and pans we plan to store in this side of the cabinet :notti: Super excited when I first saw this :wub:

So, that sums it up for the kitchen renovation works. We're just missing the tempered glass backsplash, lighting and chemical wash. :lol:

Bathroom fittings are up! The plumbers came down yesterday to fix up all the sanitary items.

image_85.jpeg?1448465600751&144846560245image_81.jpeg?1448465600751&144846560245

Common toilet with the new IKEA sink, cabinet and mirror set. The size of the sink looks so much better! Shower set has also been installed.

image_83.jpeg?1448465600751&144846560245image_84.jpeg?1448465600751&144846560245

Towel bar installed by plumber had a boo boo :angry2: There's a hole and gap beside the bar! :angry: Very upset about that and sent this picture to my ID immediately. Good thing was he called soon after receiving my message to reassure us that he will get it rectified.

image_87.jpeg?1448465600751&144846560245image_86.jpeg?1448465600751&144846560245

Rainshower set as well as bathroom accessories installed in the master toilet.

image_89.jpeg?1448465600751&144846560245

On closer inspection of the bar hooks, I noticed another boo boo...the bar was installed slanted i.e. blue line is longer than the red line... :bangwall: I can't believe the plumber installed it this way and thought it will pass... :furious: Super upset about this...again, our ID acknowledge that it is their mistake and that he will get it fixed...Really hope the rectifications will be acceptable/not noticeable...if not, I'll probably :curse:

On a happier note, I met up with our ID and his electrician this afternoon to confirm the position of the lights and discuss the various lighting control switches. ID said lights will be installed today, the light casings changed tomorrow. He also got Citygas to come down and switch on the gas pipe and showed me our hob is now in function :thumbs up: Touch up of painting will also be done tomorrow so that chemical and general wash can be carried out on Friday, in time for possible handover on Saturday! :jammin: Really excited that we can complete our renovation journey soon! :sport-smiley-004::sport-smiley-004::sport-smiley-004:

We accidentally bought the wrong hob from Goh ah bee and want to exchange.
Goh ah bee agree but ask for the carton box packaging so we can return.
But we hvae already thrown the packaging away.
If any kind soul can spare us the packaging for this model - Bosch Domino 2 zone gas: PRB326B70E you have not thrown , we are more wiling to get from you at token sum $10-20.
Can collect at your place
This is the model we talking about, we need the carton packaging:

iXz6ZY.jpg

We accidentally bought the wrong hob from Goh ah bee and want to exchange.
Goh ah bee agree but ask for the carton box packaging so we can return.
But we hvae already thrown the packaging away.
If any kind soul can spare us the packaging for this model - Bosch Domino 2 zone gas: PRB326B70E you have not thrown , we are more wiling to get from you at token sum $10-20.
Can collect at your place
This is the model we talking about, we need the carton packaging:

iXz6ZY.jpg

Hi there,

Sorry but our hob is Rinnai :( Hope you manage to find the packaging soon...

Renovation updates - end of renovations (partial)

Today was a long and busy day as our ID completed the handover and we took delivery of our furniture and electrical appliances. Although renovations have been completed, there are still some outstanding items which need to be settled.

1) Chip on our cabinet laminate above the oven needs to be replaced

2) Painting still needs touch up at certain areas

3) One of the spotlight bulbs is spoiled, so we need to exchange for a new one with our supplier

4) One of the glass panel for the kitchen backsplash needs to be installed

5) Stone ledge for master toilet needs to be installed

image_99.jpeg?1448720334035

Our kitchen :sport-smiley-018: Minus 1 piece of tempered glass backsplash

image_100.jpeg?1448720334035image_101.jpeg?1448720334035

The missing pieces of tempered glass was supposed to be installed today but when the workers came down, they realized the glass was too long and couldn't fit into the space... 8| So, they had to take back the glass to cut away the excess before they can come back to install it another day. :fire: On a happier note, water filtration system/dispenser has been installed by our ID - we had our first cup of alkaline water today! :notti: Our Hitachi fridge was also delivered today. Really lucky that it could fit the existing base...it was just nice, right to the edge! :bow:

image_102.jpeg?1448720334035

From left to right - Bosch dryer, LG washing machine, Bosch dishwasher (all fitted onto the existing ledge) :dribble:

image_104.jpeg?1448720724549&14487207254

Bedframe and bed were delivered today. Love the bedframe :wub:

image_97.jpeg?1448720724549&144872072549image_98.jpeg?1448720724549&144872072549

Really very happy with how the master bedroom turned out. We're just missing the curtains which will be installed in front of the sliding glass door. :D

image_105.jpeg?1448720724549&14487207254

Sofa also got delivered today...but after the workers left, we realized it's the wrong colour and the design was a little off as well :curse:

image_107.jpeg?1448720724549&14487207254

We had ordered the sofa with the exact dimensions, design and color as the one in their showroom...but the sofa that got delivered today is a little different. The color is more brownish compared to our chosen light grey color and the sofa is missing a few design details like the stitch linings on the extended L part and the backrest. Called the shop and was told the office is closed for the weekend...the lady in charge will call me back on Monday...hope we'll be able to resolve this issue soon... :furious:

Looks like there's still some time to go before we can officially end our renovations...the roller-coaster ride is still in motion! :unsure: