Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Relacker

List Here - Top Boring Copy Cat Renovations Ideas And Home Appliances Ideas ( Dun Do It If You Do Not Wan To Be Bore)

in renovation although its idea sharing but after awhile you realise everybody follow the same trend and its so freaking boring. and u go every reno t blog and everybody is doing the same thing that its beginning to be nauseating...yawnzzzzzz.....

These are my list:

1.Brickwall

2.buying old fashion lights from taobao

3.buy a Nesspresso machine and putting it somewhere visible

4. Kompacplus top

5.using BLUM for cabinets

6.Using Philips tunable lights

7.Using Grohe/hans grohe

Please feel free to add

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Yeah now cove lights. 1 generation ago was having conices at corners. Tunable lights actually u wun bother to tune tune tune after 1 month.

Edited by Relacker

I do not agreed on 5 and 7. Those are quality fittings which are not part of the design, one have to used it to appreciate.

But I do agreed that the brick wall are over used and most are going for similar TV console, tom dixon lights etc. I guess most house owner dictate to the ID what they want (colour, theme, feature etc) from the start leaving the ID with little freeplay in the design. The house owner literally has becomes the chief ID. The worst nightmare for the ID is that the house owner starting buying those furniture and fittings that does not goes well with the integral design.

Had seen many houses renovated by ID but the end result is like non ID designed house. Reno only plays a part in the overall design, the right colours, lightings, furniture and fittings also play an important part to integrate with the design to form a cohesive look. I guess as long as the owner is happy and it fits his needs and the ID is getting paid, it is ok. At the end of the day, it is whether you want to lived in a designer house or a home. But I choose both :notti:

The funny thing is that every era has its own trend, terrazzo flooring for 1970s, rock stone wall effect for 1980s, cornice for 1990s, etc. Maybe brick wall and scandi may become the icon for 2010s. Advisable to break away from the trend if you do not want the tell tales sign on the age of your reno.

I would add:

1. Tolix replica chairs
  2. Cage-style pendant lights
  3. Eames replica chairs

I used to think that having all these "common" items would be a no-no for my own renovation. But I realised its more how a home owner or designer pulls everything together for that "look" rather than what the individual feature items are. This is where most go wrong with buying lock, stock and barrel from Taobao. Yes its cheap, but that doesn't mean you have to buy it. There is no cohesion.

That being said, I am considering Blum (or alternatives) and Hansgrohe (or alternatives) from a functional perspective. Not interested in everything else on the list.

I must say I do agree with you to some points. When the Scandinavian theme first appeared, I quite liked it. Then more and more people decided to renovate their house to that theme, it became very repetitive. Especially the brick wall. I guess the rest of it is just trends. At some point the trend will fade away, and something else will emerge. I believe right now modern classic is the trend.

As for Blum and Hansgrohe, I have to admit I am guilty of it. Of course there are other brands out there, but these two brands are the popular ones and perhaps perceived as reliable. Again.... Is that a trend too? Unless something else comes along.....

Funny you say that. I did modern classic and European exactly because I wanted to avoid Scandinavian and industrial.

I don't think my house is the norm at all... But I do believe that everyone should just do anything that makes them happy and it's not up to anyone to judge la. What's nice to one person might not be what's nice to others right.

The beauty of Renotalk was the friendly and helpful community I guess. :)

As long as everyone is satisfied with their homes, that's the most important part.

Yes, as long as one is happy with their home that's the most important.

Everyone's taste is different. We can all learn and share from this website.

:sport-smiley-018:

Funny you say that. I did modern classic and European exactly because I wanted to avoid Scandinavian and industrial.

I don't think my house is the norm at all... But I do believe that everyone should just do anything that makes them happy and it's not up to anyone to judge la. What's nice to one person might not be what's nice to others right.

The beauty of Renotalk was the friendly and helpful community I guess. :)

As long as everyone is satisfied with their homes, that's the most important part.

Very interesting topic because that was exactly what went through my mind when I started reading the t blog a few months ago. Everyone with BTO and everyone doing scandi, industrial and then finally because they are buying everything from TB it becomes scandi-dustrial or whatever.

I do appreciate all the input etc but practically everyone bought grohe and hansgrohe from TB which I bought the Germany ones for my home 8 years ago and not many people used it then.I told myself this time round buy any brand also can but grohe because if you visit somebody's house it's probably a grohe :)

The point is, whatever rocks your boat but it's really it important to have a home which reflects your personality . That said, there are a few cool homes in this blog and I love them

Edited by Luxexplorer

Some trends have been overused and misused. However, some brands are popular largely due to reliability and asthetics...like Blum and Grohe/Hansgrohe. Their functionality and convenience is critical. Yes I used these brands too. I Certainly don't want the plumber or carpenter in within a short period after installation and these brands have proven themselves. Example, those semipro kitchen taps with extendable reaches and spray/normal streams from many reputable brands tend to have leakage issues (at the mouth or spout) within months of use but my Hansgrohe is still perfect after 1.5yrs of constant use. No drips even after flow is stopped. Not cheap but these brands prove their great value over the medium to long term. Having said that, beware of Grohe/Hansgrohe replicas when purchasing from PRC. 2yrs ago,Even those sold at the official TB Grohe/Hansgrohe websites weren't competitive compared to USA and Europe. Perhaps it has got to do with where product was manufactured. Maybe they have gotten more competitive now...

Edited by looneygas

TB Hansgrohe are also MIG.

There's nothing wrong with people preferring brands. Just because a lot of them are buying it now doesn't mean they didn't know of it in the past.

A lot of my neighbors use Hansgrohe and Grohe in their parents' homes so they use it in their new homes.

Others have no chance of choosing the fixtures so decided to splurge on good ones for their homes.

I understand that a lot of T Blogs are similar, but everyone is just sharing right? Having a more "different" home doesn't make anyone more superior than others or give one the right to be more judgmental. I will never do Scandinavian or Industrial doesn't mean I will bash it, I still enjoy reading their journeys and am glad they shared. The sense of community is awesome and I've had RTers over already and became friends.

But I won't say anymore la cus I don't want to come across as defensive or on a pedestal... I just was quite sad cus I always enjoyed coming here and leaving encouraging comments and help to others just as many have done for me and others in the past - even if a lot just ask and don't reply - the community has still been awesome.

Have a good journey renovating everyone!

Kludi is good quality and very stylish as well. Not saying there is anything wrong with people using Grohe or hansgrohe but there is a difference in the German made and the thai/ China made. Don't believe go feel the difference with the tap level and also see the price difference :)

Peace out

I have to agree with you on this. This blog has been amazing and people are kind and helpful.and it is wrong to decide what is good and bad as long as they like it..,)

I have brick wall too so I have join the crowd as well . And I have bought my job because someone posted their purchase and I like it and I asked them for reference so absolutely with you on this.

Well said and I apologise for sounding like offstandish. We all know what makes a home and it's definitely not the renovation

There's nothing wrong with people preferring brands. Just because a lot of them are buying it now doesn't mean they didn't know of it in the past.

A lot of my neighbors use Hansgrohe and Grohe in their parents' homes so they use it in their new homes.

Others have no chance of choosing the fixtures so decided to splurge on good ones for their homes.

I understand that a lot of T Blogs are similar, but everyone is just sharing right? Having a more "different" home doesn't make anyone more superior than others or give one the right to be more judgmental. I will never do Scandinavian or Industrial doesn't mean I will bash it, I still enjoy reading their journeys and am glad they shared. The sense of community is awesome and I've had RTers over already and became friends.

But I won't say anymore la cus I don't want to come across as defensive or on a pedestal... I just was quite sad cus I always enjoyed coming here and leaving encouraging comments and help to others just as many have done for me and others in the past - even if a lot just ask and don't reply - the community has still been awesome.

Edited by Luxexplorer

I have to agree with you on this. This blog has been amazing and people are kind and helpful.and it is wrong to decide what is good and bad as long as they like it..,) I have gain lots of information and short cuts to the renovation because of the people here who are willing to share.

I have brick wall too so I have join the crowd as well . And I have bought my hob because someone posted their purchase and I like it and I asked them for reference so aboslutely with you on this.

Well said and I apologise for sounding like offstandish. We all know what makes a home and it's definitely not the renovation, it just add to the joy of owning a home ;)so let's go back to renovating our little nest

Edited by Luxexplorer