Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zirhk3355

All Tanglin Halt Road Neighbours! Report In Here!

Was anyone aware that a man jumped down from Blk 90 a few hours ago? My HB went opp to buy some things and when he walked back the same way 20 mins later, saw a man lying at the foot of the blk. Some medics were already attending to the body. Sigh...very sad to see such a thing happening in our new neighbourhood :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Was anyone aware that a man jumped down from Blk 90 a few hours ago? My HB went opp to buy some things and when he walked back the same way 20 mins later, saw a man lying at the foot of the blk. Some medics were already attending to the body. Sigh...very sad to see such a thing happening in our new neighbourhood :sport-smiley-004:

:) We came back abt 9pm but did not notice anything. Really a sad thing to happen. :furious:

Saw police tape around 9.30pm. Which part the body landed? So sad that it happened in our estate.

According to my HB, the body landed at the open area near to the inside walkways, so the man must have jumped from the corridors. He mentioned that the man is an Indian, could even be a foreign worker working in the construction site nearby. He said that he walked across the same area 20 mins earlier! Hiya, I keep reminding him to avoid walking across the area and take the roundabout. Gosh, can't imagine what will happen if a body were to land on a resident who's walking across! :dancingqueen: Not to mention a body, any potential killer litter by some inconsiderate resident would have been fatal.

Good news for those who are keen to make a difference in our estate: Volunteer to do you part! Sign up to join the Grassroots at http://www.pa.gov.sg/volunteer (can read up on more info first also...)

I had already signed up and they send me a letter for a briefing as follows:

Date: 16th April 2008 (Wed)

Time: 7:30pm to 9:30pm

Venue: Toa Payoh Central CC, 93 Toa Payoh Central (S) 319794

* Note: You need to sign up at the website first before attending.

As told by the lady who called me, this is totally no-obligations at all, just come listen to the briefing and you will find out exactly what you are getting yourself into. Its just volunteer work lor; even if joined liao, dun like it, can just walk away mah, no harm trying.

Think this will be a better avenue to voice our displeasure about the estate's condition, rather than just posting about it here...

Cannot make it on 16 April evening, will there be other dates for briefing?

According to my HB, the body landed at the open area near to the inside walkways, so the man must have jumped from the corridors. He mentioned that the man is an Indian, could even be a foreign worker working in the construction site nearby. He said that he walked across the same area 20 mins earlier! Hiya, I keep reminding him to avoid walking across the area and take the roundabout. Gosh, can't imagine what will happen if a body were to land on a resident who's walking across! :notti: Not to mention a body, any potential killer litter by some inconsiderate resident would have been fatal.

Anyway, seem to me that not all units are occupied as you can observe during in the evening.

So far my favorite food hunt:

1) Blk 89 Kuo Fu Hokkien Mee

2) Blk 51 Chicken Rice

3) Blk 40A "Ye Lai Xiang western food", Chicken rice & Shanghai Guo Tei

Edited by HOME2BE

Anyway, seem to me that not all units are occupied as you can observe during in the evening.

1) Blk 89 Kuo Fu Hokkien Mee - 口福? Tot should be Blk 88.

2) Blk 51 Chicken Rice - Where blk 51?

3) Blk 40A "Ye Lai Xiang western food", Chicken rice & Shanghai Guo Tei - Margaret Drive?

Edited by TYM

Cannot make it on 16 April evening, will there be other dates for briefing?

Why not you go sign up on the website first, then when you get the letter, go call the lady and get her to give you other dates?

Also, you could ask if I can attend the briefing on your behalf and you just join in to the RC's meetings? According to my dad and sister, after the briefing, they became "Observers" at the RC's meetings and will only be made a "RC Member" when the committee accepts you.

But aiya, just shortcut the process, why not you just call up the Constituency Office at 64741681 and check with them. I am supposed to have the mobile of the lady who called on Sat, but misplaced it. Will pass it to you if I get it...

Any more volunteers??? Come, do your part leh... :notti:

Why not you go sign up on the website first, then when you get the letter, go call the lady and get her to give you other dates?

Also, you could ask if I can attend the briefing on your behalf and you just join in to the RC's meetings? According to my dad and sister, after the briefing, they became "Observers" at the RC's meetings and will only be made a "RC Member" when the committee accepts you.

But aiya, just shortcut the process, why not you just call up the Constituency Office at 64741681 and check with them. I am supposed to have the mobile of the lady who called on Sat, but misplaced it. Will pass it to you if I get it...

Any more volunteers??? Come, do your part leh... :notti:

There is a term attached to grassroots volunteering, usually 2 years. So every 2 years, they will nominate new office bearers for the specific committee eg RC, WEC, CCMC etc. Hehe...u guys should volunteer earlier mah, then won't have to compete with the public for balloting of new flats in our estate. Grassroots leaders, after serving for 1 term, are entitled to apply for new flats in mature estates under the Grassroots Priority Scheme.

I'm a grassroots leader with Radin Mas WEC. Might want to consider switching over to the WEC in our constituency after I move.

Great to see that you guys are interested in doing voluntary work! Keep it up! It's really good to be able to volunteer our free time to making our neighbourhood a better place and address needs of fellow residents. For those who feel that they don't have much time to spare, can consider joining the sub-committees like WEC and YEC. Usually for RC, it requires more time committment. :notti:

Edited by countrylover

3) Blk 40A "Ye Lai Xiang western food", Chicken rice & Shanghai Guo Tei - Margaret Drive?

1) Oh! its blk88

2) Ahhhh, its blk47

3) Yes, Margaret Drive. imagine having grill pork chop with beer along the trees.

Have yet to explore further...

1) Oh! its blk88

2) Ahhhh, its blk47

3) Yes, Margaret Drive. imagine having grill pork chop with beer along the trees.

Have yet to explore further...

For many years, I used to frequent this old hawker centre that is opp. our estate...hmm, not sure of the name though. It's about 10 mins walk, quite near to the Ridout Garden. Have not been there for more than 5 years, hope it's still there! The fried bee hoon/nasi lemak is superb...especially the chicken wings...yummy! :notti:

For many years, I used to frequent this old hawker centre that is opp. our estate...hmm, not sure of the name though. It's about 10 mins walk, quite near to the Ridout Garden. Have not been there for more than 5 years, hope it's still there! The fried bee hoon/nasi lemak is superb...especially the chicken wings...yummy! :P

its still there :notti: but market renovated liao. there is this famous tze char call "2 chefs" at 1 of the coffee shop there. was featured in makansutra food not bad. :P

its still there :notti: but market renovated liao. there is this famous tze char call "2 chefs" at 1 of the coffee shop there. was featured in makansutra food not bad. :P

Great to hear that! Must make a trip there during supper one of these days to relive my cravings! :P:P

There is a term attached to grassroots volunteering, usually 2 years. So every 2 years, they will nominate new office bearers for the specific committee eg RC, WEC, CCMC etc. Hehe...u guys should volunteer earlier mah, then won't have to compete with the public for balloting of new flats in our estate. Grassroots leaders, after serving for 1 term, are entitled to apply for new flats in mature estates under the Grassroots Priority Scheme.

I'm a grassroots leader with Radin Mas WEC. Might want to consider switching over to the WEC in our constituency after I move.

Great to see that you guys are interested in doing voluntary work! Keep it up! It's really good to be able to volunteer our free time to making our neighbourhood a better place and address needs of fellow residents. For those who feel that they don't have much time to spare, can consider joining the sub-committees like WEC and YEC. Usually for RC, it requires more time committment. :dribble:

Cannot 'resign' within the two years? You mean got to sign a bond or something?

Anyway glad to hear that someone here got experience in grassroots activities; would you be so kind as to explain what is WEC, CCMC and YEC? I tried to ask my dad but he doesn't know how to explain; he is just concerned about assisting the needy families and does not care about all these 'ranks' and various committees, plus being semi-retired he got alot of free time so he is not worried about commitment too, unlike us.

My dad also did tried for the Grassroots Priority Scheme for our estate, somemore got queue no 4. But alas, due to the Minimum Sum Scam (Oops I meant scheme...hehe), he is unable to purchase because he is 56 years old (yeah, just ONE YEAR too old...haiz).

Edited by zirhk3355

My wife and i are both grassroot leader too. We joined AMK YEC for more than one term already. but the thing is that for YEC, members must be less than 35years old. you can visit our webpage at Our YEC webpage

CCMC=community centre management committee

WEC=Woman Executive commitee

YEC=Youth executive committee

From wat i know CCMC not so easy to be one of the committee members because need recommendation to go in.

As for YEC, it's the only committee in PA that allows public to join in when there's an election every two years. Meaning u just need to apply to go in but elected members will have to vote for all their key appointment bearers.

mmm.... did we get my queue number 39 in balloting due to we're grassroot leaders or just pure lucky. (note: i did not apply under grassroots leader priority scheme)

Btw, there's one 24hrs indian coffeeshop nearby tanglin halt road. can't rem the block number. The serving is quite big. My wife ate chicken murtabak while i ate nasi pattaya. ym yum. not bad. guess it's probably the nearest 24hr coffeeshop nearby. Anymore 24hrs coffeeshop in our area?