Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
originalbread

waterproofing issues and solution

Hi,

I renovated my whole house about 3 years ago, and recently HDB is doing an home improvement plan for the whole block. I do not intend to re-renovate the toilet and bathroom because I have spent a lot of money on it and of course, they are pretty new. However, the waterproofing test failed for the bathroom and HDB requires that I either repair, or opt into the home improvement plan, tear down the whole bathroom and toilet/ or just the flooring and upturn. The second option though less hacking, poses another issue, the wall tiles I used are no longer available from the tile company. 

I asked around and heard that there is a waterproofing method, which is using chemcial to flood the toilet and bathroom. HDB advised against that as it is on the surface treatment. Anyone tried that before? Can share with me how you find this method? particularly after 3 years, is it still effective as in no leakage to downstair unit? any "side effect"?

thanks!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
On 10/25/2016 at 0:06 PM, originalbread said:

Hi,

I renovated my whole house about 3 years ago, and recently HDB is doing an home improvement plan for the whole block. I do not intend to re-renovate the toilet and bathroom because I have spent a lot of money on it and of course, they are pretty new. However, the waterproofing test failed for the bathroom and HDB requires that I either repair, or opt into the home improvement plan, tear down the whole bathroom and toilet/ or just the flooring and upturn. The second option though less hacking, poses another issue, the wall tiles I used are no longer available from the tile company. 

I asked around and heard that there is a waterproofing method, which is using chemcial to flood the toilet and bathroom. HDB advised against that as it is on the surface treatment. Anyone tried that before? Can share with me how you find this method? particularly after 3 years, is it still effective as in no leakage to downstair unit? any "side effect"?

thanks!

Hi Originalbread

Yes, my mom's place used a water soluble nano technology to cover possible areas of seepage. This save her a major hassle to hack up the flooring and redo the whole toilet even though such repair works are subsidized by HDB. So far its been almost a year and no complaints by her downstairs neighbour.

This method is already approved by HDB, but not sure if the technology you are talking about is the same.

On 11/16/2016 at 11:15 PM, gkbt said:

Hi Originalbread

Yes, my mom's place used a water soluble nano technology to cover possible areas of seepage. This save her a major hassle to hack up the flooring and redo the whole toilet even though such repair works are subsidized by HDB. So far its been almost a year and no complaints by her downstairs neighbour.

This method is already approved by HDB, but not sure if the technology you are talking about is the same.

Hi gkbt,

Is there a document to say that the method has approved by HDB? Please share the product and HDB info..Thanks :P

5 hours ago, Tiler Seng said:

Hi gkbt,

Is there a document to say that the method has approved by HDB? Please share the product and HDB info..Thanks :P

Hi Tiler Seng,

If I remember correctly what my mom said was the HDB / town council guy spoke to the neighbour downstairs before coming up to explain that my mom's toliet needed to be rectify.

He showed her the traditional method of hacking and also other methods including the nano water soluable solution. If it was not approved, I would say he was doing a good job in conning my mom. My mom like the fuss free solution more obviously.

After she decided on the nano technology, the specialized contractor and his principal came and explained to her about the benefits and showed her town council letter of endorsement of the technology. Work done was about 2 or 3 hours, I was there for a visit when they came.....

I had my skepticism but that nano waterproofing solution stopped the seepage problem, neighbour did not complain further. The only downside was my mom paid the full amount instead of sharing 50:50 cost like the traditional method of hacking.

Its been a while now since the application, still all good... Not sure the product name though....

Cheers

As far as i know, HDB only approved one type of water proofing method which is hacking and re-waterproofing,

The rest of the method aren't recognized by them.

we have experienced doing surface water proofing for about 6-7 years ago to one of the toilet, and till now the owner didn't come back to us, so it seems to be reliable.

My Client tried Prima seal which is a different method but the way he mentioned, it was a good experiences to him as well.

The conclusion is, hacking isn't the only method, but owner of the premises has to bare responsibility by all means and HDB did not

approved any other method.

26 minutes ago, Tiler Seng said:

As far as i know, HDB only approved one type of water proofing method which is hacking and re-waterproofing,

The rest of the method aren't recognized by them.

we have experienced doing surface water proofing for about 6-7 years ago to one of the toilet, and till now the owner didn't come back to us, so it seems to be reliable.

My Client tried Prima seal which is a different method but the way he mentioned, it was a good experiences to him as well.

The conclusion is, hacking isn't the only method, but owner of the premises has to bare responsibility by all means and HDB did not

approved any other method.

Hi Tiler Seng,

Thanks for your reply

I would really be worried if traditional method still caused seepage since its been around for decades and skill sets should be already honed to perfection!

I don't think that its not "recognized" by HDB if not they wouldn't be talking about it to my mom. According to my research, pointing to the todayonline dated nov 2012 " HDB tests new waterproofing method for ceiling leaks" Its only 4 years but I do believe they have seen enough to warrant different options for homeowners to decide rather than the "same old same old". 

My mom did not use prima seal, and if I'm not wrong, there are many other nano water proofing solutions available right now. So its probably wise to explore this area, who knows maybe it'll give your company an additional source of revenue (The I don't want hassle type of clients lol) 

The GRA was approved in 2001 and there's not much changes to the bill since then. I believe the reason why they are exploring new methods is that building and construction are updating consistently, there must be newer methods which are faster and more efficient. Of course there is a caveat - it may not work all the time, which than same can be said to traditional methods who employ less than satisfactory workers or materials.

But if u asked me apart from cost, 3 days of work on a toilet compared to merely hours.... is something really tempting.

Cheers!