Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
dietgalvon

Project Muji Home - of white, wood and chrome

1 hour ago, Sehn82 said:

Can share the price of the platform portion? How much was the required top up if you had chosen with storage?

@Sehn82 Materials and labour to construct my platform (differs based on size/height of platform) is ~$800. If want to do platform with storage, instead of laying vinyl, they will use carpentry materials. I did not ask for quote for that, but my contractor told me that it will be in the thousands. A fellow neighbour did one for about $5k!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
22 hours ago, dietgalvon said:

@Sehn82 Materials and labour to construct my platform (differs based on size/height of platform) is ~$800. If want to do platform with storage, instead of laying vinyl, they will use carpentry materials. I did not ask for quote for that, but my contractor told me that it will be in the thousands. A fellow neighbour did one for about $5k!

Thanks so much for the info!

5 hours ago, ice803 said:

Can pm your contractor contact

tks

@ice803 My contractor mentioned that they have too many projects on hand currently.

1 hour ago, sqliu647 said:

Hi @dietgalvon, thanks for sharing! Wonder how is your experience with your contractor so far, good to recommend? You can PM me the details.

Thank you and best wishes! 

@sqliu647 So far, my experience with them had been okay. Not totally without hiccups but I did not regret engaging them.

RENOVATION UPDATE - 15 JUNE 2017

Everything moved really fast after the flooring was up - carpentry are ALL in. Feeling bittersweet after I left our new home that very day I saw all the carpentry... Compared to the time spent in doing research, the renovation process is so much shorter hahaha.

Living Room

IMG_7748.JPG.32191148219aa1245b6bbd5ce94c5fda.JPG

Our shoe cabinet + mirror tic-tac door to conceal bomb shelter.

Dining

IMG_7749.JPG.afd7c8227ffdc37b722690cdb98e413f.JPG

Our idea materalized! Our bar-top dining area and hanging shelves (in an attempt to hide the pipe in the kitchen). J advised to do a bigger ledge here in case we want to have steamboat/3dishes1 soup kind of meal. He said a bar-top without dinning in a home is too unpractical lol.

IMG_7757.JPG.1ef1ba0379bc974dbb873ec7311f5990.JPG

DB box - since we're changing the doors I was reluctant to let it remain 4-door lol. Loving the sleek look of 2-door DB box. Laminate was something that is easier to maintain. Shelvings were added inside.

Kitchen

IMG_7754.JPG.1b93a2d9a10837858f52897e1618858f.JPG

Gas pipe boxed-up; loving our drawers (yes our IKEA cutlery tray fits!) and the openness of the kitchen. Totally did not regret doing away with top cabinets (and left the opposite side of the kitchen empty).

MBR

IMG_7747.JPG.69285ba745ec42bfec98a961e9c658bc.JPG

Wardrobe; spent extra money for 2 ft worth of carpentry at the L-shaped so that even the dead space can be used. We maximized all the space we could for a 12.5 ft wardrobe and 2 ft dresser in total. Should have listened to J and make 3 drawers in the middle because fiance clothes are not that long lol.

IMG_7753.JPG.718aaf24f80478362f17b215ac8511f1.JPG

View from platform bed area. We decided to add this 'bedside table' at the last minute. Initially fiance thought it doesn't look minimalistic enough but he approved it because it's hidden because the wardrobe (won't see unless you walk over) and he can't be oblivious to the functionality of this table heh. Thanking my lucky stars we have a MBR bigger than the living room so we could play around like that; basically all I needed in a room!

MBR toilet

IMG_7756.JPG.9c341d83156383b80e2d544a99d58f81.JPG

Our tiny vanity

Can't wait to see your end result of the kitchen. Are you going to install hood or just leave it as it is since there is no top cabinet at the kitchen? 

On 19/06/2017 at 8:13 AM, tjk1208 said:

Can't wait to see your end result of the kitchen. Are you going to install hood or just leave it as it is since there is no top cabinet at the kitchen? 

@tjk1208 we're not installing any hood. We will add 2 shelvings and that's it! Hahaha

20 hours ago, spooky said:

Great looking carpentry, and your MBR toilet is really nice looking :)

@spooky thanks for your kind words! Looking forward to more updates of your home too :)

RENOVATION UPDATE - 17 JUNE 2017

I would say that carpentry are fully up (save for one faulty wardrobe door). E had been reminding us when electric and plumbing works will be done; and what we have to do over the weekend. But I'm hoping that the renovation don't end so soon!!

Shoe cabinet

IMG_7799.JPG.664bf770ee778fe2051b49710d0e4237.JPG

This is one of my favourite spots! We stole the conceal bomb shelter idea from one of the IDs but I think it's quite a common design lah. :x Omg can't imagine if I had chosen to just do the shoe cabinet without concealing the bomb shelter. J added a frame at the sides of the mirror because he say it is easier to maintain (else fingerprints on the mirror). We also chose to do depth of 30cm only so that it is flushed to the wall beside it; J reminded that with this depth we cannot store shoe boxes.

MBR

IMG_7793.JPG.a99c2a40c022388a5da6c0bc7ac5f357.JPG

One of the doors does not fit, so the workers brought it back. As we maxed out the space of the room for this huge wardrobe space, the opening to our platform bed area is rather small. So for the dresser, we made a 'suspended' mirror such that it gives the illusion that it's not entirely enclosed. Traded in some storage space but this is something different from the norm! This is an idea from another ID. :x Lol.

MBR toilet

IMG_7802.JPG.c2eab647a06d2141bddf4e8ed4c20555.JPG

Our sink is a little small but given the size of the vanity, I had no choice because I still want plenty of counter space. This is the only sink I can envision in my MBR toilet. No other shapes works hahaha. Not I'm just worried about the huge taobao tap.

That's about all the new updates. Kitchen top is not yet done.

In the meantime...

IMG_7797.JPG.b38e47f337882ede134f8115f52366a6.JPG

We were surprised by the quality of our taobao vanity set for the common toilet! The tap was rather filmsy but the wood seems pretty good. We did not check the mirror and the countertop yet. We were lamenting if it would be nicer than our MBR's vanity (lol).

Did you use one wood-like laminate for most/all of your carpentry? It's so pale, I like. Oh and where did you get your MBR basin from? Looks just the right size

17 hours ago, dietgalvon said:

RENOVATION UPDATE - 17 JUNE 2017

I would say that carpentry are fully up (save for one faulty wardrobe door). E had been reminding us when electric and plumbing works will be done; and what we have to do over the weekend. But I'm hoping that the renovation don't end so soon!!

Shoe cabinet

IMG_7799.JPG.664bf770ee778fe2051b49710d0e4237.JPG

This is one of my favourite spots! We stole the conceal bomb shelter idea from one of the IDs but I think it's quite a common design lah. :x Omg can't imagine if I had chosen to just do the shoe cabinet without concealing the bomb shelter. J added a frame at the sides of the mirror because he say it is easier to maintain (else fingerprints on the mirror). We also chose to do depth of 30cm only so that it is flushed to the wall beside it; J reminded that with this depth we cannot store shoe boxes.

MBR

IMG_7793.JPG.a99c2a40c022388a5da6c0bc7ac5f357.JPG

One of the doors does not fit, so the workers brought it back. As we maxed out the space of the room for this huge wardrobe space, the opening to our platform bed area is rather small. So for the dresser, we made a 'suspended' mirror such that it gives the illusion that it's not entirely enclosed. Traded in some storage space but this is something different from the norm! This is an idea from another ID. :x Lol.

MBR toilet

IMG_7802.JPG.c2eab647a06d2141bddf4e8ed4c20555.JPG

Our sink is a little small but given the size of the vanity, I had no choice because I still want plenty of counter space. This is the only sink I can envision in my MBR toilet. No other shapes works hahaha. Not I'm just worried about the huge taobao tap.

That's about all the new updates. Kitchen top is not yet done.

In the meantime...

IMG_7797.JPG.b38e47f337882ede134f8115f52366a6.JPG

We were surprised by the quality of our taobao vanity set for the common toilet! The tap was rather filmsy but the wood seems pretty good. We did not check the mirror and the countertop yet. We were lamenting if it would be nicer than our MBR's vanity (lol).

Wow progress is fast and looking great! Love the colours of your wardrobe. Are the colours for show cabinet and wardrobe same? Can share the laminate code? :)

22 hours ago, spooky said:

Did you use one wood-like laminate for most/all of your carpentry? It's so pale, I like. Oh and where did you get your MBR basin from? Looks just the right size

@spooky Bingo! We only used one wood laminate throughout. :) My MBR basin was from taobao!

8 hours ago, Kobelala said:

Wow very fast carpentry almost all done :) very nice 

@Kobelala Things were a faster than I expected! Thanks for your kind words :)

5 hours ago, p31j1n said:

Wow progress is fast and looking great! Love the colours of your wardrobe. Are the colours for show cabinet and wardrobe same? Can share the laminate code? :)

@p31j1n Thanks for your kind words! Yes, we used one wood laminate throughout - Lamintak WY5244D. :)