Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Gaddy

Minimalist Scandi Makeover on a budget! (5 Room Resale in Bukit Panjang)

Its been more than 5 years since my first t-blog (you can find it here) and it was time to move to a bigger place. Settled on Bukit Panjang as fiance's family was staying nearby and got this unit after just viewing it once! It was going at a great price considering the size and proximity to the MRT (about 10 minutes walk). It's almost double the size of my previous flat (65sqm) with double the number of rooms and a balcony! Love the floor plan. Previous owners hacked away the storeroom though which was okay as the position was rather odd - just beside the kitchen.

Currently waiting for the appointment date (scheduled in late July or early Aug) . I would have to move out from my current place by end Sept so its quite rushed! Hoping to document the journey here and hopefully help others in their renovation journey as well!

We are looking at a minimalist scandi theme as we want to keep the house open, bright and airy and with less clutter as possible. We both like white with woods to accent the house and some black here and there. The plan is to integrate the balcony with the living room.

image.png.42eb446f45df7ac1b0e163492fbe36e3.png

Getting keys in 2 days! Pretty excited and we are looking forward to getting more accurate quotes from our contractors and IDs.

Edited by Gaddy
adding tags

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Very nice layout with good size rooms although your kitchen is a little bit small. Do you plan to have an open concept kitchen?

Also I notice there are plenty of recess areas under the windows. Do you plan to use them as storage since there is no storeroom now in your flat?

Edited by KFC1189

Yes the kitchen is quite small so we are looking to hack the wall and make it open concept as we don't do heavy cooking. There is a storeroom actually - the previous owner relocated it in front of the main door. Now going through the quotes. The location of the fridge is another issue.

Hi Gaddy,

BP flats are very high rise and have nice view. :good: Is your balcony's view nice?

You can create a semi open kitchen with entrance at the middle of kitchen and make it into a U shape kitchen. You can place your fridge at one side of the kitchen as highlighted in red below. You can make your kitchen bigger by extending it outside of the kitchen. 

BP.png

Edited by KFC1189

The view isn't the best but its kinda unblocked and the nearest block is across the road so it could be worse especially since I am on the 7th floor. Yes the yellow walls are awful. Still deliberating between the various quotes at the moment. (i think i got too many, close to 10 haha)

Balcony.jpg

Congrats on getting the place! Are you still due for moving out by the end of month i.e. in 17 days' time? :huh:

Does that mean you don't plan on hacking the tiles?

Yes 10 quotes sounds like overdoing it :P I decided on considering only just 4 (after a lot of online research though).

An update on the renovation. It was going along smoothly until we applied for the demolition of the walls. It's been 6 weeks and we have yet to get it processed. HDB insisted there was a beam and we got the officers to come down and take photos and even he said there was no beam but HQ still insist it there was a beam. We relented and resubmitted and the HQ has approved and now just waiting for the officer to issue the dates for hacking. Its been a nightmare as the officer has been pretty much uncontactable. As a result, my renovation is delayed as we can't proceed with electrical or carpentry or even to finish the tiling at the kitchen as the wall is in the way.

Hey Gaddy, thanks for checking out my thread!

Sigh, HDB and their beams! We were also expecting a full hacking of our kitchen wall but apparently there is a beam as well that thwarted our original idea to install a big ceiling fan in the middle. :/ But hope you guys will be able to find a nice alternative to your original idea and get your home completed soon!

Hi Pat the permit has finally been approved and all the hacking works have been completed in a day. Turns out there was no beam in the first place!

75257947_hackedbeam.JPG.5986e73ba620d9549e8ba0ae609e95cd.JPG

Will you still have a store room somewhere? Are you going to keep the existing flooring?

How big is your 5-Room flat in BP?

Edited by KFC1189