Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Chamia

Smoking In Office Areas

Is there anyone's office allow staff to smoke in office areas?

I am facing such problems with a colleague who is very inconsiderate and unhelpful. This colleague, is a BIL of my sales manager. Since day one, he will smoke in the store adjoining office area (there is a door leading from office to store and I am sitting nearest to this door), will the shutters which are leading outside carpark closed and with an 'on' fan facing this door I am sitting to. This fan will blow all the 2nd hand smoke into office area and make the office smelly, my throat dry and my head throbbing with slight headache.

Ever told him a no of times about it and to smoke with this door leading to office closed and shutters up and open, he still smokes with shutters down but after smoking, he will leave the ill fated door open and immediately all the happy 2nd hand smoke will rush into office to make me feel ill. Told my director, he can't do much as he is outstationed overseas and can't approach manager as he is very protective over this BIL of his.

Is there any advice on what I can do? Wanted to send email cc everyone in but I sure get it from the two guys here (only three of us in the co) and a very bad thought, was to complaint to the main building management and or NEA but yet feel bad about it. :bangwall:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Face the fan to blow the air towards the door.

Put a big fan at the smoking spot so that the smoke can't even stay lighted.

Put stuff at the smoking spot so that cannot loiter there.

Put poster that says something like 2nd hand smoke kills.

Make smoker feel that he is not welcomed

Face the fan to blow the air towards the door.

Put a big fan at the smoking spot so that the smoke can't even stay lighted.

Put stuff at the smoking spot so that cannot loiter there.

Put poster that says something like 2nd hand smoke kills.

Make smoker feel that he is not welcomed

Paste the hotly debated smoking-kills-poster-of-this-infected guy/woman at the door, inside the door, on all 4 walls of the storeroom so that wherever he turns, he will be faced with this poster, then put a bloody note there that says, "Soon, you will become her...hiek hiek hiek...you have read this silently in your mind, you have been cursed. Face your fate!" See how he die. :D

Sorry, abit un-constructive here...but couldn't resist :yamseng:

Edited by Air

oh gosh! i hate smokers, manz! luckily, my whole family and in laws don't smoke at all. :) i hate the smoking smell. :yamseng:

Hi all,

Thanks for your contributions.

yoongf, I dun think it can work. Ever place his fan another direction and he put it back to the old direction. No point put up 'No smoking' signs around as he treats this office just a normal place he can do what he likes since my directors are in their own countries. Manager cannot do much as this guy do and talk what he likes, even to this manager.

Air, I like that! I also cursed and swear that he smokes so much, better don't stay around for too long. But thing is, last time told him not to smoke so much and he said he likes. But I curse and swear inside my heart, his 2nd hand smoke flying around the whole office, I think the first person to go is me, as 2nd hand smoke more potent then his 1st hand which he inhaled.

Korea, Ya, me like you, from non smoker family.IF friends or pple i associated with smokes in front of me but do it outside non-enclosed place, I feel still acceptable. In enclosed area plus the smell coming out of the smoker's body, it is the most unhealthy smell to me, yucks.

Edited by Chamia

Me from non-smoker family too. Simply hate those boey zi dong smokers who blow smoke in your face. Is it legal to smoke in the storeroom? If it's not, I suggest you bring it up to the building mgmt. After all, this might cause fire hazzard. Since your colleague doesn't bother about other ppl's feelings, then no need to bother with his.

Korea, Ya, me like you, from non smoker family.IF friends or pple i associated with smokes in front of me but do it outside non-enclosed place, I feel still acceptable. In enclosed area plus the smell coming out of the smoker's body, it is the most unhealthy smell to me, yucks.

i don't understand why people like to smoke?? don't they find it smelly?? :bangwall: the hair, fingers, mouth and clothes also got smell. !!

i don't understand why people like to smoke?? don't they find it smelly?? :sport-smiley-004: the hair, fingers, mouth and clothes also got smell. :jawdrop:

Me don't understand too...then again, smokers would also think, why don't ppl smoke? I simply love the smell of smoke...just like the theory of durians....very subjective...only wish that these smokers would be more considerate and not blow their 2nd hand smoke to non-smokers....after all, more ppl die from 2nd smoke than 1st hand one....it's so unfair.... :P

Me don't understand too...then again, smokers would also think, why don't ppl smoke? I simply love the smell of smoke...just like the theory of durians....very subjective...only wish that these smokers would be more considerate and not blow their 2nd hand smoke to non-smokers....after all, more ppl die from 2nd smoke than 1st hand one....it's so unfair.... :sport-smiley-004:

you haven't sleep yet huh? during night time, only a handful people come in. :jawdrop:

Me from non-smoker family too. Simply hate those boey zi dong smokers who blow smoke in your face. Is it legal to smoke in the storeroom? If it's not, I suggest you bring it up to the building mgmt. After all, this might cause fire hazzard. Since your colleague doesn't bother about other ppl's feelings, then no need to bother with his.

Yaya, those pple are the worst. In fact, there is a govt law that one is not to smoke in commercial buildings and I do believe that the building management does not allow. When I went to HQ in UK, I consulted HR and the immediate supervisor of SG office, they both mentioned that their law does not allow smoking in stores/manufacturing plants, and UK govt now looking at making pple to smoke at least 1 metre away from their working buildings/offices. :D But then, we are not really directly under the in charges from UK but under my holland director. He puts me in charge of this but also get me to be carefull of how to handle as the guys may be nasty to me.

Korea and Air, it is true that smokers will ask us why we wont smoke as smoke can make you more alert, slim down, etc. But then, we, the 2nd had smoke smellers are the worst off compared to themselves. Every smell someone who is big burly and sweaty, who smokes every hours? I can tell you, I ever smell of and if I just had lunch, I may just puke out all my lunch, get the idea of the smell??? :notti:

Actually these bunch of ppl who say smoking makes one alert, slim blah blah are a bunch of stupid fools. Smoking makes you look gaunt, less alert and sometimes even retarded. I've a cousin who smokes like duno how many packs a day then when you talk to her, she stared at you with a blank stare, then few mins later, she will ask, what did you ask me har? The stench from her breath is horrible, I tell you. I simply abhore smoking.

Ppl who smoke too much have very dark eye rings and their face looks devoid of colour. I believe in exercising to keep slim, that is how you get a healthy glow on your face. What good is smoking making you slim when you look like a walking corpse??

I have nothing against smokers, just stupid, brainless smokers. :rolleyes:

Korea and Air, it is true that smokers will ask us why we wont smoke as smoke can make you more alert, slim down, etc. But then, we, the 2nd had smoke smellers are the worst off compared to themselves. Every smell someone who is big burly and sweaty, who smokes every hours? I can tell you, I ever smell of and if I just had lunch, I may just puke out all my lunch, get the idea of the smell??? :(

huh? smoking can make a person grows fatter, you know. ;)

Ppl who smoke too much have very dark eye rings and their face looks devoid of colour. I believe in exercising to keep slim, that is how you get a healthy glow on your face. What good is smoking making you slim when you look like a walking corpse??

I have nothing against smokers, just stupid, brainless smokers. :)

esp the lip. usually, a person who smoke will have darker color lip. :unsure:

1. is the area he smoke air-conditioned?

If yes, tell the director. This is against LAW

source: http://app.nea.gov.sg/cms/htdocs/category_sub.asp?cid=248

Where are the areas where smoking is disallowed?

Any air-conditioned office premises, except that the manager of such premises may designate for smoking, any enclosed room therein -

(a) which is independently ventilated; and

(b) which is not -

(i) required to be used by any person employed in such premises for the performance of the duties of his employment; or

(ii) a pantry or other common area to which persons employed in such premises have access.

#

Any enclosed or air-conditioned corridor, lobby, stairwell or other common area of -

(a) any building which wholly or principally consists of office premises; or

(b) such part of any building which consists wholly or principally of office premises.

there are alot.. I just quote 2

It is an offence under the Smoking (Prohibition In Certain Places) Act for anyone to smoke in a specified place. [Please refer to the Smoking (Prohibition In Certain Places) Notification for the list of specified places where smoking is prohibited].

If a person smokes in a specified place, the manager or operator is required to inform the smoker to cease smoking immediately or leave the place. If there is a complaint by a patron on breach of the smoking ban, the manager or operator is required to investigate into the complaint and, if the complaint is found to be true, take the necessary action to deal with the breach i.e. informing the smoker to stub out or leave the place. If the person refuses to do so, the manager may seek assistance from NEA by calling NEA Hotline at 1800-CALL-NEA.

the ACT : http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/non_version/cgi...=whole&sl=1

Any person who smokes in any specified place or specified vehicle in contravention of any notification made under subsection (1) shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $1,000.

A manager of any specified place or an operator of any specified vehicle who contravenes any of the provisions of subsection (1) or fails to comply with any directions given by the Director-General under that subsection shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $1,000.

Wow, therat, where did you get so much information. I only goggled 'smoking in commercial buildings' and got 1 info. But then, as this colleague is related to Manager, I can't show manager the info and my director is based overseas and can't do anything about it. This colleague is smoking in a non-airconditioned warehouse area (storeroom) but there are lots of paper & wood materials in there. He likes to smoke while packing or doing his hobbies in there.

In fact, Korea & Air, he has purple lips and is quite ah beng (ever seen a big tatoo on him) and he will put himself before considerating for others. But Korea, u sure smoking make pple fatter, and so far, the smokers I came across are those if they are zz , they go out 'pop pop' they will be much more alert!

Haha, anyway, I will 'ren' for a few more months. I just checked that the new premises my company is shifting in, I will not get to smell the cigarette smell from store area. And that time, I can set some house rules :good: about not smoking in our own bought premises. If he wants to smoke, :rofl: outside to smoke