Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ilys

Copper Vs Stainless Steel Piping

heard that the cost of copper piping has overtaken stainless steel

how true?

choice which make sense to take stainless steel?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
heard that the cost of copper piping has overtaken stainless steel

how true?

choice which make sense to take stainless steel?

Think i remember vaguely that there is a thread somewhere that discussed this. According to my ID, the price is somewhat similar. Personally, I took the stainless steel option as it will look more 'sleek'.

Copper are 'bendable' to a certain extent so you will need less joins than a stainless steel option. Which means your plumber has to do more work when using stainless steel pipe.

Think i remember vaguely that there is a thread somewhere that discussed this. According to my ID, the price is somewhat similar. Personally, I took the stainless steel option as it will look more 'sleek'.

Copper are 'bendable' to a certain extent so you will need less joins than a stainless steel option. Which means your plumber has to do more work when using stainless steel pipe.

stainless steel is said to be more resistant to rust.. if u use copper den may need to paint over to prevent rust..

Edited by krisietong

stainless steel is said to be more resistant to rust.. if u use copper den may need to paint over to prevent rust..

Hmm.. copper will need painting so that it blends in to the wall as it will oxidize (and look ugly). However, it doesn't rust unless it has some iron compound in it.

Edited by pencil

Depend on the Stainless Steel grade that they use...... low grade will rust

one of the copper pipes pros is that have better heat insulation meaning less heat loss for hot water

Mine was done with stainless steel.

Why I see they still can bend it? Is it a lower grade SS?

SS can be bend... due to the toughness and the brittleness of the metal as compared to copper, SS can only be bend to a certain angle... usually about 45 degrees, max!

for corners, fixtures and joints is required, especially for those 90 degrees angled corners :)

Something on the health aspect, copper is known of it's property for prohibiting bacteria growth on it's surface. This is something which stainless steel doesnt have.

Something on the health aspect, copper is known of it's property for prohibiting bacteria growth on it's surface. This is something which stainless steel doesnt have.

copper also will oxidise in damp environment... turning a mouldy green color with time... especially under the sink area and toilet areas

to each it's own actually. Some like the silver look of SS

some like the gold look of copper... which usually will turn a dark brown with time

My wate pipe is SS but somehow my gas line & hot water line is Copper ( due to the fact they were installed by Citygas while water pipe being installed by contractor), what I did is bought some metal paint and painted the copper pipe as well as copper joints to silver color. :)

What 's average cost of changing the PVC pipings to copper or stainless steel piping for the whole unit?

I have got a quote of $580/- for changing the pipings to stainless steel. Is it reasonable?

What 's average cost of changing the PVC pipings to copper or stainless steel piping for the whole unit?

I have got a quote of $580/- for changing the pipings to stainless steel. Is it reasonable?

how big is your unit?

some charge depending on the size of the unit

and others charge based on how much other work is done

contractors/ID gives discounts on some items but overcharge for others

i was charged this price for my EA for either copper of S/S

my contractor's advice is copper is better but s/s looks better